Dick’s, Major Gun Retailer, Will Stop Selling Assault-Style Rifles

Great for varmint hunting and a lot of fun.
What varmints have you shot with one?
Feral hogs. Lots of them.

Plus, the 300 Blackout is a Northern deer capable round that only requires a barrel swap to convert to it from the .223 Rem or .223 Wylde ARs. ALSO .223 is legal to hunt with in Missouri and a slew of Southern state that have smaller deer.

There are also AR style rifles chambered in 308, 7.62x39, and 6.5 Grendel, among others. You could conceivably hunt anything from deer to grizzly bear with the 308 (comparable to 30-06) , and deer to black bear with the 7.62x39 (comparable to 30-30).

It's just a matter to time before the AR platform supplants the bolt action rifle in the same way the bolt action rifle supplanted the lever action.

So, some pundit said on the TV that virtually ALL guns are semi automatic. Is that true?
No.
You sure? My son (who I don't think would lie to me) told me that most guns, including handguns, are now semi-automatic in that a bullet moves into the firing chamber as soon as the trigger is pulled, readying it to immediately be fired again. He said that is what semi-automatic means. A bullet is ready as quickly as you can pull the trigger.
That is why I have been careful not to use the term "ban semi-automatics."

both of you are correct. Some pistols are revolvers and some are semi-automatic. Some rifles are lever action and some are semi-automatic.

Automatic weapons are not commonly available to the general public. It takes special tax stamps to get an automatic.

I thought automatic weapons were illegal, have been for decades. Am I mistaken? It is also illegal to alter a semi-auto weapon into an automatic one.

So, can we back off the banning of the AR platform and focus on keeping the loons from getting guns? That would have prevented this latest shooting.
Effectively banning handguns and military style semi automatics, like the other developed nations have done.

No, you'll have to severely regulate handguns as well. Good to see you realise this.

101 California Street shooting - Wikipedia

CA banned the Tech 9, and in short order the gun producers created other hand guns as lethal and as successful for mass murder:

upload_2018-2-28_11-50-29.jpeg

images

I have been told repeatedly in gun threads over the past week that .223's are piddly ass guns that are only good for shooting prairie dogs and racoons and such. Weak and with a short range of 100 - 300 yards.
Cruz used a 223: a Smith & Wesson M&P 15 .223, and he seemed to do just fine with it. The radiologist at the hospital didn't seem to think the wounds were insignificant either.
What I Saw Treating the Victims From Parkland Should Change the Debate on Guns

So it's a little hard to always believe the NRA side: The words don't seem to match the reality.

So, some pundit said on the TV that virtually ALL guns are semi automatic. Is that true?
No.
You sure? My son (who I don't think would lie to me) told me that most guns, including handguns, are now semi-automatic in that a bullet moves into the firing chamber as soon as the trigger is pulled, readying it to immediately be fired again. He said that is what semi-automatic means. A bullet is ready as quickly as you can pull the trigger.

both of you are correct. Some pistols are revolvers and some are semi-automatic. Some rifles are lever action and some are semi-automatic.

Automatic weapons are not commonly available to the general public. It takes special tax stamps to get an automatic.
Do we know the percentage of semi's as opposed to not?

No one knows for sure. According to the ATF, revolvers make up roughly 20% of firearm sales. In the early 80’s and presumably before, revolvers outsold semi-automatics. I imagine that there are still more revolvers than semi-automatics in circulation today.

CA banned the Tech 9, and in short order the gun producers created other hand guns as lethal and as successful for mass murder:
Yes. It's no use locally 'banning' models, national 'bans' of classes is what is effective.

No.

I thought automatic weapons were illegal, have been for decades. Am I mistaken? It is also illegal to alter a semi-auto weapon into an automatic one.
Unless you buy a bump stock. Then it's okay.

Except it's NOT the gun people are using, most of the mass shootings in this country were not done by an AR-15.
Except for the last...four, is it?

Dunno, is it? Link? So maybe the next 4 will use some other weapon, the Supreme Court has ruled that any state can ban AR-15s, right? And some have done so or are about it. Let the people in each state make their own laws and let's see what happens.

I have been told repeatedly in gun threads over the past week that .223's are piddly ass guns that are only good for shooting prairie dogs and racoons and such. Weak and with a short range of 100 - 300 yards.
I have used .223 Remington in bolt action rifles on fallow deer and goats at 70-80 yds. It's adequate. The 7x57 Mauser and .308 Winchester dropped them more positively.

No.

No, it's not. Bump stocks do not make a semi-automatic into an automatic one, a bump stock makes the weapon more accurate, or so I've been told. Trump is trying to make bump stocks illegal, which is good; they might be legal for now, but they ain't okay.

I have used .223 Remington in bolt action rifles on fallow deer and goats at 70-80 yds. It's adequate. The 7x57 Mauser and .308 Winchester dropped them more positively.
It seems to do fine on people, too.
Do I want to ask why you shoot goats?

No.

Automatic weapons are not illegal, just expensive because they require special tax stamps. It is my understanding that it is absolutely illegal to alter a semi-automatic into an automatic.

It's still legal to own a machine gun (it's also extremely difficult and especially expensive)

The difference between automatic and semi-automatic weapons

Automatic weapons are not illegal, just expensive because they require special tax stamps. It is my understanding that it is absolutely illegal to alter a semi-automatic into an automatic.

It's still legal to own a machine gun (it's also extremely difficult and especially expensive)

The difference between automatic and semi-automatic weapons
Then WHY are bump stocks okay? Because they are an accessory rather than a retooling?

Forum List

Back