Dick’s, Major Gun Retailer, Will Stop Selling Assault-Style Rifles

CA banned the Tech 9, and in short order the gun producers created other hand guns as lethal and as successful for mass murder:
Yes. It's no use locally 'banning' models, national 'bans' of classes is what is effective.

That takes The Congress, a President and a Supreme Court - not one of these once esteemed parts of our government take the Preamble to our Constitution to heart. It is a vision statement, and a mission statement for alll elected or appointed officials.

Sadly, the only thing most of them care about is their own job.

You sure? My son (who I don't think would lie to me) told me that most guns, including handguns, are now semi-automatic in that a bullet moves into the firing chamber as soon as the trigger is pulled, readying it to immediately be fired again. He said that is what semi-automatic means. A bullet is ready as quickly as you can pull the trigger.
That is why I have been careful not to use the term "ban semi-automatics."

both of you are correct. Some pistols are revolvers and some are semi-automatic. Some rifles are lever action and some are semi-automatic.

Automatic weapons are not commonly available to the general public. It takes special tax stamps to get an automatic.

I thought automatic weapons were illegal, have been for decades. Am I mistaken? It is also illegal to alter a semi-auto weapon into an automatic one.
Unless you buy a bump stock. Then it's okay.

Automatic weapons are not illegal, just expensive because they require special tax stamps. It is my understanding that it is absolutely illegal to alter a semi-automatic into an automatic.

It's still legal to own a machine gun (it's also extremely difficult and especially expensive)

The difference between automatic and semi-automatic weapons
Then WHY are bump stocks okay? Because they are an accessory rather than a retooling?

I never said they were ok. I think bump stocks and hellfire triggers should be banned.

both of you are correct. Some pistols are revolvers and some are semi-automatic. Some rifles are lever action and some are semi-automatic.

Automatic weapons are not commonly available to the general public. It takes special tax stamps to get an automatic.

I thought automatic weapons were illegal, have been for decades. Am I mistaken? It is also illegal to alter a semi-auto weapon into an automatic one.

Automatic weapons are not illegal, just expensive because they require special tax stamps. It is my understanding that it is absolutely illegal to alter a semi-automatic into an automatic.

It's still legal to own a machine gun (it's also extremely difficult and especially expensive)

Then WHY are bump stocks okay? Because they are an accessory rather than a retooling?

I never said they were ok. I think bump stocks and hellfire triggers should be banned.
I didn't say you approved. I just wondered why the ATF couldn't make them illegal the first time they had these damned things on their desk, after Vegas.

You sure? My son (who I don't think would lie to me) told me that most guns, including handguns, are now semi-automatic in that a bullet moves into the firing chamber as soon as the trigger is pulled, readying it to immediately be fired again. He said that is what semi-automatic means. A bullet is ready as quickly as you can pull the trigger.
That is why I have been careful not to use the term "ban semi-automatics."

First, a little education on bump stocks:

A bump stock, also called a bump-fire stock, is an attachment that makes a semi-automatic weapon — like an AR-15 rifle — shoot nearly as fast as fully-automatic machine guns. This accessory replaces the standard stock on a rifle with a piece of plastic or metal molded to the lower end of the gun. This harnesses the gun’s natural recoil, allowing it to slide back and forth freely and rapidly and re-cock after each round fired.

There are other devices that allow guns to simulate automatic firing on a semi-automatic weapon, but bump stocks are the most well known of the legal options.

“The classification of these devices depends on whether they mechanically alter the function of the firearm to fire fully automatic,” Jill Snyder, a special agent in charge at the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives (ATF), said at a news conference in Las Vegas following the shooting there in October. “Bump-fire stocks, while simulating automatic fire, do not actually alter the firearm to fire automatically, making them legal under current federal law.”

Still, this is more of a technicality than a significant difference in the amount of damage possible with a bump stock. A fully automatic weapon shoots about 14 rounds per second. Using a bump stock with a semi automatic AR-15 gave the Las Vegas shooter the ability to fire about 9 shots per second, according to analysis of footage by the New York Times.

What You Need to Know About Bump Stock Gun Accessories

So, since a bump stock does not actually alter a semi-auto weapon into an automatic fire, it ain't illegal. Yet anyway. The Parkland school shooter didn't use a bump stock but the Las Vegas shooter did, and Trump is trying to get them banned but there seems to be some question of his authority to do so under existing law.

Never heard of ‘em.

Dick’s, Major Gun Retailer, Will Stop Selling Assault-Style Rifles

One of the nation’s largest sports retailers, Dick’s Sporting Goods, said Wednesday morning it was immediately ending sales of all assault-style rifles in its stores.

The retailer also said that it would no longer sell high-capacity magazines and that it would not sell any gun to anyone under 21 years of age, regardless of local laws.

The announcement, made two weeks after the school shooting in Parkland, Fla., that killed 17 students and staff members, is one of the strongest stances taken by corporate America in the national gun debate. It also carries symbolic weight, coming from a prominent national gunseller.

I quite like Mr. Stack.

Dicks is a stupid jacked-off PC retail outlet that has done such bull before and I long ago stopped doing business with them. They would never think to tell the questioning public that an "assault-style rifle's" only difference with many other rifles is that it is all metal instead of wood and has a high-tech futuristic look to it. Take your business elsewhere.

-Another try at the assault weapons
ban
How will that work?

Last time, we got a law that changed this:
hazmatak.jpg

to this:
images

It was VERY unpopular because it was just a feel-good law.

Most Americans oppose a ban on semi-automatic weapons. We're pumped full of polls surveying 500 people that show 70% of Americans want such a ban, but when it happens, Democrats lose a bunch of seats.

The problem is that more restrictions on the type of weapons we can own is highly unpopular and should be deemed unconstitutional. It's just not really a great option and probably will not stop mass shootings. It will only limit what law-abiding citizens can buy. We have already given up enough.

THIS is what it feels like:

Illustrated-Guide-To-Gun-Control.png

It feels like this will be a never-ending grab with no results, so fuck all this shit. Give us back our machine guns!!! It makes reasonable people frustrated and suspicious.

The other proposals are fine with me.

Add to that, if a teacher wants to carry at school she/he should be allowed to do so. The Coach in this past shooting threw himself in front of the kids to protect them. I have no doubt he would have drawn, fired, and stopped Cruz.

You're right. Don't let the liars get you down.
What is your main concern with the AR platform? Be specific. What about the AR platform do you believe is too dangerous for civilians to possess?
I will repeat my pretty simple question:
What is it about the AR platform that makes it the weapon of choice for mass shooters?
If it is no different than any other rifle on the market, why do they choose it and why are people so bent out of shape about the possibility of needing to buy one of these "equal" rifles.
I got one answer, saying the AR is built to take any number of add ons, adapting it to any need. So what specific need do mass shooters have and what add on do they use that makes it the weapon of choice for them? What "adaptations" are they talking about?
You educate yourself on the subject before you speak.... you sound like clueless pants shitter...

ban
How will that work?

hazmatak.jpg

to this:
images

Most Americans oppose a ban on semi-automatic weapons. We're pumped full of polls surveying 500 people that show 70% of Americans want such a ban, but when it happens, Democrats lose a bunch of seats.

The problem is that more restrictions on the type of weapons we can own is highly unpopular and should be deemed unconstitutional. It's just not really a great option and probably will not stop mass shootings. It will only limit what law-abiding citizens can buy. We have already given up enough.

It feels like this will be a never-ending grab with no results, so fuck all this shit. Give us back our machine guns!!! It makes reasonable people frustrated and suspicious.

Add to that, if a teacher wants to carry at school she/he should be allowed to do so. The Coach in this past shooting threw himself in front of the kids to protect them. I have no doubt he would have drawn, fired, and stopped Cruz.
Reasonable people don't want machine guns. That's the only thing.

You haven't seen the posts by posters here saying they were joining/renewing their NRA membership? Well, I suppose ignorance can be bliss to some............

brekhnya! That is happening not because of the mass shooting but because of the hysterical Left and people like you creating an atmosphere where the 2nd Amendment must be protected.

Hysteria is noted in the outrage by those who believe the 2nd A. is under attack. Of course that is what they've been told by the NRA and those who benefit from the NRA's largess (Trump and many of the Congressional Republicans).

Cold and callous disregard from the victims of gun violence is loud and clear when this meme is echoed by fools, easily led by those whose job comes before We the People.

Friends don't let friends vote Republican.

Hysteria is noted in the denials because the actions of the governments of California and Connecticut show how justified the defenders of the 2nd A are.

Friends don't let friends listen to gun grabber lies.
And what is the actions of the governments of California and Connecticut that have you clutching your gun-pearls?

Grow up and educate yourself. It may not have been big news in Minsk, but the bans those states imposed are public knowledge in the USA, as well as the SKS confiscations.
So....you can't tell me. You made it all up. BTW...I am a gun owner and I live in California.

What is your main concern with the AR platform? Be specific. What about the AR platform do you believe is too dangerous for civilians to possess?
What is it about the AR platform that makes it the weapon of choice for mass shooters?
If it is no different than any other rifle on the market, why do they choose it and why are people so bent out of shape about the possibility of needing to buy one of these "equal" rifles.
I got one answer, saying the AR is built to take any number of add ons, adapting it to any need. So what specific need do mass shooters have and what add on do they use that makes it the weapon of choice for them? What "adaptations" are they talking about?
You educate yourself on the subject before you speak.... you sound like clueless pants shitter...
You can't answer my questions either, huh? If I were in your shoes, I'd jump at the chance to give some good information to someone on "the other side." As some of the posters here have tried to do. So typical Rustic noise. Did you just get home from school?

ban
How will that work?

hazmatak.jpg

to this:
images

Yep, The progressives don’t want to compromise in the least bit. It’s not in their nature cruelty is their nature...

You can't answer my questions either, huh? If I were in your shoes, I'd jump at the chance to give some good information to someone on "the other side." As some of the posters here have tried to do. So typical Rustic noise. Did you just get home from school?
You watch far too many Hollywood movies made by child molesting Hollywood types

My condolences to Martha
Who's that?

Martha stewart has interest in Walmart's----remember her----
the cake and cookie lady?
I bought a set of her dishes once. They wound up being a piece of shit. Chipped, faded in no time.
Walmart won't suffer for this. Mark my words.

I used the Walmart lavatory------took a look around----and
never went back. Something about the place reeked CHEAP--------I am very stingy----but I do not like LOOKS CHEAP
I won't give them my business, either. Haven't for years. Around here, they take returned, defective merchandise, shrink wrap it and put it back on the shelves. I'm an hour's drive from the nearest Walmart and after MANY times needing to drive back to return defective merchandise, I gave up on them entirely.
However, I'm glad they have taken AR's off the shelf.
More business for small business...
:dance:

I have $3,100 worth of excercise equipment being delivered this week. I’ll call shortly and cancel the order. I’ll be sure to let them know why.
Buy more guns and ammo...

Haha...funny you say that.
I have six more builds on order right now including two AR pistols.
And....yet again....nothing is a better money maker for the NRA and gun sales than a mass shooting.
Retailers don’t make much off of firearm sales, most less than 3%. I make less than 2%...

I will ask my pretty simple question, why is the left attacking the NRA and not the gov. Officials who sat by and let these murders happen?
It`s the National Rampage Association that beats back even the most innocuous gun regulation proposals. They fought Pa. when the state wanted people to report when their guns are stolen. The gun/criminal lobby supports straw buyers obviously.
Na, You watch for too many Hollywood movies made by child molesting Hollywood types

I'll take a shot at your questions, although I have to admit there are many posters around here who are more knowledgable than me.

What is it about the AR platform that makes it the weapon of choice for mass shooters? Number one, it looks cool, that's the weapon you see in the movies and video games. Number two, it fires a shitload of bullets even without modifications.

If it is no different than any other rifle on the market, why do they choose it and why are people so bent out of shape about the possibility of needing to buy one of these "equal" rifles. It looks cool. I really think that's at least one answer to both of these questions.

I got one answer, saying the AR is built to take any number of add ons, adapting it to any need. So what specific need do mass shooters have and what add on do they use that makes it the weapon of choice for them? What "adaptations" are they talking about? Don't know enough to talk about the adaptations other than the bump stocks we already covered. But I do think there's something about emulating the 'Rambo' persona that appeals to many people.

I wouldn't say that AR-15s are the weapons of choice. For some, they had access to an AR-15, even where allowed to buy one like the Florida shooter did or there was one available in the house already. Otherwise these people started their rampage without some other weapon, which I think they would do even if we banned AR-15s and the like. And I would also say this, an AR-15 is a pretty good choice for self defense at home, especially for a woman cuz there's little recoil and you wouldn't have to reload it. Just point it and pull the trigger/

It’s the current “Bad Boy” rifle.
Why do wetbacks all choose pit bulls?
For dog fighting. Because pit bulls are the fiercest fighters and they won't give up their hold once they've sunk their teeth in. That propensity has been bred into it until it is a trait. So they give the best show. So tell me what about AR's make them the choice of mass shooters.
Handguns are used just as much if not more...

I don't know. A shotgun would be a MUCH better choice.

I don't know. Ignorance? Maybe the left's obsession with it makes them mistakenly believe it is the best weapon for mass shootings.
:dunno:

I said that the AR platform is more useful to the average civilian. I said NOTHING about the platform being more effective for mass shooters.

Again, why do they use ARs? I don't know. If I wanted to shoot up a school, and mass death toll is my goal, I would load up a couple of shotguns and maybe a few hand guns and go to work. The AR is designed for engagements between 100 and 500 yards. It is rarely the preferred weapon in a CQB situation (like a mass shooting).

So, again, what is your problem with the AR platform?
It's been used too often to shoot up crowds. It is not used for hunting. It has no practical purpose except killing lots of people as fast as possible. That is what it was designed for, as the M-16. Why Colt decided to make a civilian knock off and market it to the public is beyond me. They should be shot for it.
Na, They make great hunting rifles. After all they are only sporting rifles

Forum List

Back