Dick’s, Major Gun Retailer, Will Stop Selling Assault-Style Rifles

-Another try at the assault weapons
ban
How will that work?

Last time, we got a law that changed this:
hazmatak.jpg

to this:
images

It was VERY unpopular because it was just a feel-good law.

Most Americans oppose a ban on semi-automatic weapons. We're pumped full of polls surveying 500 people that show 70% of Americans want such a ban, but when it happens, Democrats lose a bunch of seats.

The problem is that more restrictions on the type of weapons we can own is highly unpopular and should be deemed unconstitutional. It's just not really a great option and probably will not stop mass shootings. It will only limit what law-abiding citizens can buy. We have already given up enough.

THIS is what it feels like:

Illustrated-Guide-To-Gun-Control.png

It feels like this will be a never-ending grab with no results, so fuck all this shit. Give us back our machine guns!!! It makes reasonable people frustrated and suspicious.

The other proposals are fine with me.

Add to that, if a teacher wants to carry at school she/he should be allowed to do so. The Coach in this past shooting threw himself in front of the kids to protect them. I have no doubt he would have drawn, fired, and stopped Cruz.

So the old law did not go far enough....Gotcha!

I thought automatic weapons were illegal, have been for decades. Am I mistaken? It is also illegal to alter a semi-auto weapon into an automatic one.
Unless you buy a bump stock. Then it's okay.

Automatic weapons are not illegal, just expensive because they require special tax stamps. It is my understanding that it is absolutely illegal to alter a semi-automatic into an automatic.

It's still legal to own a machine gun (it's also extremely difficult and especially expensive)

The difference between automatic and semi-automatic weapons
Then WHY are bump stocks okay? Because they are an accessory rather than a retooling?

I never said they were ok. I think bump stocks and hellfire triggers should be banned.
I didn't say you approved. I just wondered why the ATF couldn't make them illegal the first time they had these damned things on their desk, after Vegas.

No idea.

-Another try at the assault weapons
ban
How will that work?

Last time, we got a law that changed this:
hazmatak.jpg

to this:
images

It was VERY unpopular because it was just a feel-good law.

Most Americans oppose a ban on semi-automatic weapons. We're pumped full of polls surveying 500 people that show 70% of Americans want such a ban, but when it happens, Democrats lose a bunch of seats.

The problem is that more restrictions on the type of weapons we can own is highly unpopular and should be deemed unconstitutional. It's just not really a great option and probably will not stop mass shootings. It will only limit what law-abiding citizens can buy. We have already given up enough.

THIS is what it feels like:

Illustrated-Guide-To-Gun-Control.png

It feels like this will be a never-ending grab with no results, so fuck all this shit. Give us back our machine guns!!! It makes reasonable people frustrated and suspicious.

The other proposals are fine with me.

Add to that, if a teacher wants to carry at school she/he should be allowed to do so. The Coach in this past shooting threw himself in front of the kids to protect them. I have no doubt he would have drawn, fired, and stopped Cruz.
Reasonable people don't want machine guns. That's the only thing.

But maybe men with little tools do need assault weapons....just saying...

It is in every video game, it is the first thing democrat politicians call to ban when any mass shooting happens...they called for banning it before shooters were actually using it.........you don't even think before you post....
Okay. Let's blame the media for this, too. Better than blaming the gun.

It's not the gun, OldLady, it's the people using it.

You're in a room with a loaded .45 and a kitten, which one is more dangerous to you?
Well, it's damned hard to shoot 31 people without one.
not really.. 10 round mags take 3 sec. on average to drop and re-load...
It's damned hard to shoot 31 people without a GUN.
You guys need oxygen. Take a breath.
Bombs are much more convenient for killing people

Never heard of ‘em.

One of the nation’s largest sports retailers, Dick’s Sporting Goods, said Wednesday morning it was immediately ending sales of all assault-style rifles in its stores.

The retailer also said that it would no longer sell high-capacity magazines and that it would not sell any gun to anyone under 21 years of age, regardless of local laws.

The announcement, made two weeks after the school shooting in Parkland, Fla., that killed 17 students and staff members, is one of the strongest stances taken by corporate America in the national gun debate. It also carries symbolic weight, coming from a prominent national gunseller.

I quite like Mr. Stack.

Cool, problem solved. More style over substance.

You're in a room with a loaded .45 and a kitten, which one is more dangerous to you?

That's not the question I asked.
That old chestnut? I was politely ignoring it.

I see, so you already know what the deal is.

Q: Why is the left going after the guns and not calling for law-enforcement and education reform?

Lemme get this straight, leftists influenced government policy that failed, then want law-abiding citizens to give up their rights because the way they do the government fails? What is this? The Bizarro universe?

I think not!

:umno: :whatsign: :no_text11:
Get this straight, Marion: I am equally supportive of reforms and programs like ERPO for law enforcement and programs that try to intervene with troubled kids like Cruz BEFORE they go off their nut. I also support getting graphic images of humans killing humans greatly reduced on tv, movies and in video games. This particular thread is on gun control, which is why that is what I'm talking about.
Most criminals are repeat offenders by a longshot, but progressives keep on letting them out of prison and jail. People that do and are found guilty of violent criminal activity should be executed

Somebody should tell her that it is kind of hard to shoot anyone without a gun.

brekhnya! That is happening not because of the mass shooting but because of the hysterical Left and people like you creating an atmosphere where the 2nd Amendment must be protected.

Hysteria is noted in the outrage by those who believe the 2nd A. is under attack. Of course that is what they've been told by the NRA and those who benefit from the NRA's largess (Trump and many of the Congressional Republicans).

Cold and callous disregard from the victims of gun violence is loud and clear when this meme is echoed by fools, easily led by those whose job comes before We the People.

Friends don't let friends vote Republican.

Hysteria is noted in the denials because the actions of the governments of California and Connecticut show how justified the defenders of the 2nd A are.

Friends don't let friends listen to gun grabber lies.
And what is the actions of the governments of California and Connecticut that have you clutching your gun-pearls?

Grow up and educate yourself. It may not have been big news in Minsk, but the bans those states imposed are public knowledge in the USA, as well as the SKS confiscations.
So....you can't tell me. You made it all up. BTW...I am a gun owner and I live in California.

If you are a gun owner and live in California, you should be aware of the events that occurred when the SKS rifle was banned and then confiscated. Since you claim to not know about that, I can only conclude you truly are a dishonest troll and that nothing you post is true. As I have no time for dishonest people like you, it's time to shuffle you over to the waste of time ignore list.

California Gun Confiscation Bill Passes, Approves $24 Million To Expedite Illegal Gun Seizure | HuffPost

First off, NO. EVERY FUCKING ONE of the past laws WENT TOO FAR!!!

You wanna play this way? Bring it on. We will repeal every cocksucking gun law on the goddamn books.

But, if you are really interested in a reasonable discussion....

You cannot ban AR platform arms and expect any significant change in outcome. They are but ONE type of firearm. If you start banning specific attributes of the AR platform, you start banning about 75% of all other guns, including hunting rifles and hand guns.

Perhaps that is not your goal, but my observation has been that gun control advocates trying to ban the AR platform are either ignorant as fuck on the topic of guns or they know exactly what the fuck they are doing, and it is a move toward total ban and confiscation. It is the only explanation for an "assault weapons" ban. It attempts to look innocuous, but has a sweeping affect.

We are NOT giving up semi-auto weapons.

We are NOT giving up high-capacity magazines. It does nothing to make mass shootings less deadly (see video).

Banning the AR platform will not have the desired effect, because other weapons are much more effective in mass shootings. Namely, shotguns.

Are you gonna ban shotguns?

It gets extremely frustrating when we can plainly see how this all will play out. You will ban ARs and the shooting will continue. You will ban the next boogeyweapon, and the shootings will continue.

THEN, as you JUST DID, you communists will throw up your hands in fake indignation and frustration, and say, "Fuck it. Just ban and confiscate."

Am I wrong?

You're right. Don't let the liars get you down.
What is your main concern with the AR platform? Be specific. What about the AR platform do you believe is too dangerous for civilians to possess?
I will repeat my pretty simple question:
What is it about the AR platform that makes it the weapon of choice for mass shooters?
If it is no different than any other rifle on the market, why do they choose it and why are people so bent out of shape about the possibility of needing to buy one of these "equal" rifles.
I got one answer, saying the AR is built to take any number of add ons, adapting it to any need. So what specific need do mass shooters have and what add on do they use that makes it the weapon of choice for them? What "adaptations" are they talking about?
You educate yourself on the subject before you speak.... you sound like clueless pants shitter...
You can't answer my questions either, huh? If I were in your shoes, I'd jump at the chance to give some good information to someone on "the other side." As some of the posters here have tried to do. So typical Rustic noise. Did you just get home from school?

I'll take a shot at your questions, although I have to admit there are many posters around here who are more knowledgable than me.

What is it about the AR platform that makes it the weapon of choice for mass shooters? Number one, it looks cool, that's the weapon you see in the movies and video games. Number two, it fires a shitload of bullets even without modifications.

If it is no different than any other rifle on the market, why do they choose it and why are people so bent out of shape about the possibility of needing to buy one of these "equal" rifles. It looks cool. I really think that's at least one answer to both of these questions.

I got one answer, saying the AR is built to take any number of add ons, adapting it to any need. So what specific need do mass shooters have and what add on do they use that makes it the weapon of choice for them? What "adaptations" are they talking about? Don't know enough to talk about the adaptations other than the bump stocks we already covered. But I do think there's something about emulating the 'Rambo' persona that appeals to many people.

I wouldn't say that AR-15s are the weapons of choice. For some, they had access to an AR-15, even where allowed to buy one like the Florida shooter did or there was one available in the house already. Otherwise these people started their rampage without some other weapon, which I think they would do even if we banned AR-15s and the like. And I would also say this, an AR-15 is a pretty good choice for self defense at home, especially for a woman cuz there's little recoil and you wouldn't have to reload it. Just point it and pull the trigger/
Number two, it fires a shitload of bullets even without modifications.
Do you mean it takes a higher capacity magazine or that it fires faster?
Little recoil makes sense, too. Easy to handle.
I appreciate your answers!

I will repeat my pretty simple question:
What is it about the AR platform that makes it the weapon of choice for mass shooters?
I don't know. A shotgun would be a MUCH better choice.

If it is no different than any other rifle on the market, why do they choose it and why are people so bent out of shape about the possibility of needing to buy one of these "equal" rifles.
I don't know. Ignorance? Maybe the left's obsession with it makes them mistakenly believe it is the best weapon for mass shootings.
:dunno:

I got one answer, saying the AR is built to take any number of add ons, adapting it to any need. So what specific need do mass shooters have and what add on do they use that makes it the weapon of choice for them? What "adaptations" are they talking about?
I said that the AR platform is more useful to the average civilian. I said NOTHING about the platform being more effective for mass shooters.

Again, why do they use ARs? I don't know. If I wanted to shoot up a school, and mass death toll is my goal, I would load up a couple of shotguns and maybe a few hand guns and go to work. The AR is designed for engagements between 100 and 500 yards. It is rarely the preferred weapon in a CQB situation (like a mass shooting).

So, again, what is your problem with the AR platform?
It's been used too often to shoot up crowds. It is not used for hunting. It has no practical purpose except killing lots of people as fast as possible. That is what it was designed for, as the M-16. Why Colt decided to make a civilian knock off and market it to the public is beyond me. They should be shot for it.
Na, They make great hunting rifles. After all they are only sporting rifles
Rustic, you're as bad as Trump. How can I tell you're lying? Your mouth is open.

Meanwhile at other gun shops; my husband is seriously considering buying this one for later lolz - Axelson Tactical Tribute Series Centerfire Rifles : Cabela's

Proving once again that these school shootings are good for gun business.

Actually my husband, and I'd say most folks who want a variety of guns for different purposes, don't buy because of "school shootings" they merely change their plans to buy whatever gun the idiots decide are "scary" and start talking about banning.

The gun we got last month is a short stock rifle/shotgun combo, before that was a rifle for Caribou hunting, before that was "my" new tiny handgun. Next was supposed to be some pistol that shoots shotgun shells, but now it's probably going to be an AR-15 because the city folk and children are pissing their pants about that one and calling to have it banned. This one in particular is pretty motivating for a lot of folks because the AR-15 is supposedly one of the most versatile rifles in existence and has long been called "The Swiss army knife of rifles" - thus its huge popularity.

Reasonable people don't want machine guns. That's the only thing.
Well, then leave well enough alone. Quit while you are ahead. I'm telling you, this is a huge issue for a lot of people. IF push comes to shove, we will start pushing for total repeal.
No. I'm telling you, this is a huge issue for people who want those damned guns GONE. 63% by USA Today poll a couple days ago. Hearing folks hollering for machine guns is not going to soften their resolve. Yeegads.

First off, NO. EVERY FUCKING ONE of the past laws WENT TOO FAR!!!

You wanna play this way? Bring it on. We will repeal every cocksucking gun law on the goddamn books.

But, if you are really interested in a reasonable discussion....

You cannot ban AR platform arms and expect any significant change in outcome. They are but ONE type of firearm. If you start banning specific attributes of the AR platform, you start banning about 75% of all other guns, including hunting rifles and hand guns.

Perhaps that is not your goal, but my observation has been that gun control advocates trying to ban the AR platform are either ignorant as fuck on the topic of guns or they know exactly what the fuck they are doing, and it is a move toward total ban and confiscation. It is the only explanation for an "assault weapons" ban. It attempts to look innocuous, but has a sweeping affect.

We are NOT giving up semi-auto weapons.

We are NOT giving up high-capacity magazines. It does nothing to make mass shootings less deadly (see video).

Banning the AR platform will not have the desired effect, because other weapons are much more effective in mass shootings. Namely, shotguns.

Are you gonna ban shotguns?

It gets extremely frustrating when we can plainly see how this all will play out. You will ban ARs and the shooting will continue. You will ban the next boogeyweapon, and the shootings will continue.

THEN, as you JUST DID, you communists will throw up your hands in fake indignation and frustration, and say, "Fuck it. Just ban and confiscate."

Am I wrong?

cnm manages without semiauto. Maybe he/she is in Australia. Seems to have no trouble shooting and killing shit using pump or lever action.
Are you just throwing a tantie?

Never heard of ‘em.

One of the nation’s largest sports retailers, Dick’s Sporting Goods, said Wednesday morning it was immediately ending sales of all assault-style rifles in its stores.

The retailer also said that it would no longer sell high-capacity magazines and that it would not sell any gun to anyone under 21 years of age, regardless of local laws.

The announcement, made two weeks after the school shooting in Parkland, Fla., that killed 17 students and staff members, is one of the strongest stances taken by corporate America in the national gun debate. It also carries symbolic weight, coming from a prominent national gunseller.

I quite like Mr. Stack.
The less assault weapons (Adolf's term literally translated out of Deutsch) that are sold, the happier I will be.

I already have mine, and I don't want anybody to have more of them.
RUGER MINI 14 5.56X45MM.jpg

Forum List

Back