Dick’s, Major Gun Retailer, Will Stop Selling Assault-Style Rifles

Reasonable people don't want machine guns. That's the only thing.
Well, then leave well enough alone. Quit while you are ahead. I'm telling you, this is a huge issue for a lot of people. IF push comes to shove, we will start pushing for total repeal.
No. I'm telling you, this is a huge issue for people who want those damned guns GONE. 63% by USA Today poll a couple days ago. Hearing folks hollering for machine guns is not going to soften their resolve. Yeegads.
It would take more than this to repeal a Constitutional amendment.

Plus Hillary blew it for the DNC.

The GOP runs the Federal government now, including the SCOTUS.

Meanwhile at other gun shops; my husband is seriously considering buying this one for later lolz - Axelson Tactical Tribute Series Centerfire Rifles : Cabela's

Proving once again that these school shootings are good for gun business.

Actually my husband, and I'd say most folks who want a variety of guns for different purposes, don't buy because of "school shootings" they merely change their plans to buy whatever gun the idiots decide are "scary" and start talking about banning.

The gun we got last month is a short stock rifle/shotgun combo, before that was a rifle for Caribou hunting, before that was "my" new tiny handgun. Next was supposed to be some pistol that shoots shotgun shells, but now it's probably going to be an AR-15 because the city folk and children are pissing their pants about that one and calling to have it banned. This one in particular is pretty motivating for a lot of folks because the AR-15 is supposedly one of the most versatile rifles in existence and has long been called "The Swiss army knife of rifles" - thus its huge popularity.

You would be better off with a Ruger Mini than an AR.

Rugers jam less and the jams are faster and easier to clear.

The AR is a freak weapon system that should never have seen the light of day.

cnm manages without semiauto. Maybe he/she is in Australia. Seems to have no trouble shooting and killing shit using pump or lever action.
Are you just throwing a tantie?
It's not a bill of needs. It's a bill of rights.

I believe that I need it. Why should I not be allowed to chose what works best for me? We're talking about a VERY SMALL percentage of people who get shot with AR-platform guns. Lightening is more common, and were talking about further infringement on a constitutionally protected right.

:dunno:

The less assault weapons (Adolf's term literally translated out of Deutsch) that are sold, the happier I will be.
It was Sturmgewehr which translates to "Storm Rifle" but means "Assault Rifle".

He was referring to this:
Sturmgewehr_44.jpg

Marty, I have been asking this same simple question for days and no one has answered me. Including you.
Can you answer it, please?
The mechanism is exactly the same for almost all semi-automatic rifles.
Then why are so many people screeching about possibly needing to buy one of these "exact same" other rifles?
Why are we "screeching" about the need to buy these other rifles?

Because they are also great for home defense and very effective.

I don't understand the question.
If the AR's are no different than other rifles on the market, I would think people could just buy another "equal" rifle.

Do you know what a rail system is?

Well, then leave well enough alone. Quit while you are ahead. I'm telling you, this is a huge issue for a lot of people. IF push comes to shove, we will start pushing for total repeal.
No. I'm telling you, this is a huge issue for people who want those damned guns GONE. 63% by USA Today poll a couple days ago. Hearing folks hollering for machine guns is not going to soften their resolve. Yeegads.

The SCOTUS has only heard one case on gun control, and in their decision they said you can't take away a person's right to protect themselves IN THEIR HOME.
No one wants to repeal the 2nd amendment and AR's can be banned or extremely limited, same as machine guns are.
cnm manages without semiauto. Maybe he/she is in Australia. Seems to have no trouble shooting and killing shit using pump or lever action.

I believe that I need it. Why should I not be allowed to chose what works best for me? We're talking about a VERY SMALL percentage of people who get shot with AR-platform guns. Lightening is more common, and were talking about further infringement on a constitutionally protected right.

I understand the arguments, Bootney. I do believe, though, if I had an item that I enjoyed for recreation and it was deemed to be dangerous because some people were abusing it, I would understand giving it up. Especially if there were many alternatives I could choose from to continue enjoying my recreational pursuits.
Oh, I'm sure I would grump and grouse about it for a bit, but the safety of society trumps me having fun. That's what I was taught. With rights come responsibilities.

Marty, I have been asking this same simple question for days and no one has answered me. Including you.
Can you answer it, please?
The mechanism is exactly the same for almost all semi-automatic rifles.
Then why are so many people screeching about possibly needing to buy one of these "exact same" other rifles?
Why are we "screeching" about the need to buy these other rifles?

Because they are also great for home defense and very effective.

I don't understand the question.
If the AR's are no different than other rifles on the market, I would think people could just buy another "equal" rifle.

Do you know what a rail system is?
Are you going to say something rude again?

Firearms extremists should have been calling for this kind of action themselves, but they seem to prefer pushing the issue to the limit, and limits they will get. It is their fault.

I just sent a thank-you e-mail to Dicks.

Let's face it! You haven't had much use for Dicks your entire life! :D
I don't hunt, I suck outloud at fishing, I'm past the age of looking good in a speedo. So no, but I sure do appreciate what Dick's did and your attempt to insult me didn't bother me at all.

I don’t hunt but I love going to the parties at the family hunt camp. Good times. I learned to fish at a young age, and I can still clean and fillet a fish, but I’d rather watch paint dry.

But if there was a Dick’s Sporting Goods near me, I’d buy all my swim gear, tennis supplies and squash equipment from them. I may check and see if there’s one in Buffalo and go over the next time my daughter goes to Trader Joe’s for groceries.

I will repeat my pretty simple question:
What is it about the AR platform that makes it the weapon of choice for mass shooters?
I don't know. A shotgun would be a MUCH better choice.

If it is no different than any other rifle on the market, why do they choose it and why are people so bent out of shape about the possibility of needing to buy one of these "equal" rifles.
I don't know. Ignorance? Maybe the left's obsession with it makes them mistakenly believe it is the best weapon for mass shootings.

I got one answer, saying the AR is built to take any number of add ons, adapting it to any need. So what specific need do mass shooters have and what add on do they use that makes it the weapon of choice for them? What "adaptations" are they talking about?
I said that the AR platform is more useful to the average civilian. I said NOTHING about the platform being more effective for mass shooters.

Again, why do they use ARs? I don't know. If I wanted to shoot up a school, and mass death toll is my goal, I would load up a couple of shotguns and maybe a few hand guns and go to work. The AR is designed for engagements between 100 and 500 yards. It is rarely the preferred weapon in a CQB situation (like a mass shooting).

So, again, what is your problem with the AR platform?
It's been used too often to shoot up crowds. It is not used for hunting. It has no practical purpose except killing lots of people as fast as possible. That is what it was designed for, as the M-16. Why Colt decided to make a civilian knock off and market it to the public is beyond me. They should be shot for it.
Na, They make great hunting rifles. After all they are only sporting rifles
Rustic, you're as bad as Trump. How can I tell you're lying? Your mouth is open.
...and still an ar15 is just a sporting rifle

Never heard of ‘em.

One of the nation’s largest sports retailers, Dick’s Sporting Goods, said Wednesday morning it was immediately ending sales of all assault-style rifles in its stores.

The retailer also said that it would no longer sell high-capacity magazines and that it would not sell any gun to anyone under 21 years of age, regardless of local laws.

The announcement, made two weeks after the school shooting in Parkland, Fla., that killed 17 students and staff members, is one of the strongest stances taken by corporate America in the national gun debate. It also carries symbolic weight, coming from a prominent national gunseller.

I quite like Mr. Stack.
The less assault weapons (Adolf's term literally translated out of Deutsch) that are sold, the happier I will be.

I already have mine, and I don't want anybody to have more of them.View attachment 179555
An ar15 is just a sporting rifle

Never heard of ‘em.

One of the nation’s largest sports retailers, Dick’s Sporting Goods, said Wednesday morning it was immediately ending sales of all assault-style rifles in its stores.

The retailer also said that it would no longer sell high-capacity magazines and that it would not sell any gun to anyone under 21 years of age, regardless of local laws.

The announcement, made two weeks after the school shooting in Parkland, Fla., that killed 17 students and staff members, is one of the strongest stances taken by corporate America in the national gun debate. It also carries symbolic weight, coming from a prominent national gunseller.

I quite like Mr. Stack.

Fucking pussies. Sell them all or sell none at all.

This is like a store saying they will no longer sell cigarettes, but they'll continue selling loose tobacco and Zig Zags...

What is your main concern with the AR platform? Be specific. What about the AR platform do you believe is too dangerous for civilians to possess?
What is it about the AR platform that makes it the weapon of choice for mass shooters?
If it is no different than any other rifle on the market, why do they choose it and why are people so bent out of shape about the possibility of needing to buy one of these "equal" rifles.
I got one answer, saying the AR is built to take any number of add ons, adapting it to any need. So what specific need do mass shooters have and what add on do they use that makes it the weapon of choice for them? What "adaptations" are they talking about?
You educate yourself on the subject before you speak.... you sound like clueless pants shitter...
You can't answer my questions either, huh? If I were in your shoes, I'd jump at the chance to give some good information to someone on "the other side." As some of the posters here have tried to do. So typical Rustic noise. Did you just get home from school?

I'll take a shot at your questions, although I have to admit there are many posters around here who are more knowledgable than me.

What is it about the AR platform that makes it the weapon of choice for mass shooters? Number one, it looks cool, that's the weapon you see in the movies and video games. Number two, it fires a shitload of bullets even without modifications.

If it is no different than any other rifle on the market, why do they choose it and why are people so bent out of shape about the possibility of needing to buy one of these "equal" rifles. It looks cool. I really think that's at least one answer to both of these questions.

I got one answer, saying the AR is built to take any number of add ons, adapting it to any need. So what specific need do mass shooters have and what add on do they use that makes it the weapon of choice for them? What "adaptations" are they talking about? Don't know enough to talk about the adaptations other than the bump stocks we already covered. But I do think there's something about emulating the 'Rambo' persona that appeals to many people.

I wouldn't say that AR-15s are the weapons of choice. For some, they had access to an AR-15, even where allowed to buy one like the Florida shooter did or there was one available in the house already. Otherwise these people started their rampage without some other weapon, which I think they would do even if we banned AR-15s and the like. And I would also say this, an AR-15 is a pretty good choice for self defense at home, especially for a woman cuz there's little recoil and you wouldn't have to reload it. Just point it and pull the trigger/
Number two, it fires a shitload of bullets even without modifications.
Do you mean it takes a higher capacity magazine or that it fires faster?
Little recoil makes sense, too. Easy to handle.
I appreciate your answers!

If I'm not mistaken the AR-15 fires 30 bullets per magazine before you have to reload. I could be wrong, but most other semi-auto weapons fire more like 15-20. Don't know if you can buy a magazine that has more bullets in it, I don't own one myself.

Meanwhile at other gun shops; my husband is seriously considering buying this one for later lolz - Axelson Tactical Tribute Series Centerfire Rifles : Cabela's

Proving once again that these school shootings are good for gun business.

Actually my husband, and I'd say most folks who want a variety of guns for different purposes, don't buy because of "school shootings" they merely change their plans to buy whatever gun the idiots decide are "scary" and start talking about banning.

The gun we got last month is a short stock rifle/shotgun combo, before that was a rifle for Caribou hunting, before that was "my" new tiny handgun. Next was supposed to be some pistol that shoots shotgun shells, but now it's probably going to be an AR-15 because the city folk and children are pissing their pants about that one and calling to have it banned. This one in particular is pretty motivating for a lot of folks because the AR-15 is supposedly one of the most versatile rifles in existence and has long been called "The Swiss army knife of rifles" - thus its huge popularity.

You would be better off with a Ruger Mini than an AR.

Rugers jam less and the jams are faster and easier to clear.

The AR is a freak weapon system that should never have seen the light of day.

See, here is a perfect example of someone who watches too many Hollywood movies made by child molesting Hollywood types.
Don’t know jack shit about firearms, thanks he does. Typical control freak... lol

The SCOTUS has only heard one case on gun control, and in their decision they said you can't take away a person's right to protect themselves IN THEIR HOME.
No one wants to repeal the 2nd amendment and AR's can be banned or extremely limited, same as machine guns are.

I understand the arguments, Bootney. I do believe, though, if I had an item that I enjoyed for recreation and it was deemed to be dangerous because some people were abusing it, I would understand giving it up. Especially if there were many alternatives I could choose from to continue enjoying my recreational pursuits.
Oh, I'm sure I would grump and grouse about it for a bit, but the safety of society trumps me having fun. That's what I was taught. With rights come responsibilities.
ARs are just sporting rifles

So the old law did not go far enough....Gotcha!
First off, NO. EVERY FUCKING ONE of the past laws WENT TOO FAR!!!

You wanna play this way? Bring it on. We will repeal every cocksucking gun law on the goddamn books.

But, if you are really interested in a reasonable discussion....

You cannot ban AR platform arms and expect any significant change in outcome. They are but ONE type of firearm. If you start banning specific attributes of the AR platform, you start banning about 75% of all other guns, including hunting rifles and hand guns.

Perhaps that is not your goal, but my observation has been that gun control advocates trying to ban the AR platform are either ignorant as fuck on the topic of guns or they know exactly what the fuck they are doing, and it is a move toward total ban and confiscation. It is the only explanation for an "assault weapons" ban. It attempts to look innocuous, but has a sweeping affect.

We are NOT giving up semi-auto weapons.

We are NOT giving up high-capacity magazines. It does nothing to make mass shootings less deadly (see video).

Banning the AR platform will not have the desired effect, because other weapons are much more effective in mass shootings. Namely, shotguns.

Are you gonna ban shotguns?

It gets extremely frustrating when we can plainly see how this all will play out. You will ban ARs and the shooting will continue. You will ban the next boogeyweapon, and the shootings will continue.

THEN, as you JUST DID, you communists will throw up your hands in fake indignation and frustration, and say, "Fuck it. Just ban and confiscate."

Am I wrong?

Off your meds again?

You educate yourself on the subject before you speak.... you sound like clueless pants shitter...
You can't answer my questions either, huh? If I were in your shoes, I'd jump at the chance to give some good information to someone on "the other side." As some of the posters here have tried to do. So typical Rustic noise. Did you just get home from school?

I'll take a shot at your questions, although I have to admit there are many posters around here who are more knowledgable than me.

What is it about the AR platform that makes it the weapon of choice for mass shooters? Number one, it looks cool, that's the weapon you see in the movies and video games. Number two, it fires a shitload of bullets even without modifications.

If it is no different than any other rifle on the market, why do they choose it and why are people so bent out of shape about the possibility of needing to buy one of these "equal" rifles. It looks cool. I really think that's at least one answer to both of these questions.

I got one answer, saying the AR is built to take any number of add ons, adapting it to any need. So what specific need do mass shooters have and what add on do they use that makes it the weapon of choice for them? What "adaptations" are they talking about? Don't know enough to talk about the adaptations other than the bump stocks we already covered. But I do think there's something about emulating the 'Rambo' persona that appeals to many people.

I wouldn't say that AR-15s are the weapons of choice. For some, they had access to an AR-15, even where allowed to buy one like the Florida shooter did or there was one available in the house already. Otherwise these people started their rampage without some other weapon, which I think they would do even if we banned AR-15s and the like. And I would also say this, an AR-15 is a pretty good choice for self defense at home, especially for a woman cuz there's little recoil and you wouldn't have to reload it. Just point it and pull the trigger/
Number two, it fires a shitload of bullets even without modifications.
Do you mean it takes a higher capacity magazine or that it fires faster?
Little recoil makes sense, too. Easy to handle.
I appreciate your answers!

If I'm not mistaken the AR-15 fires 30 bullets per magazine before you have to reload. I could be wrong, but most other semi-auto weapons fire more like 15-20. Don't know if you can buy a magazine that has more bullets in it, I don't own one myself.
Magazines usually are 5, 10, 25, 30, 50 and 100 for ARs

Forum List

Back