Zone1 Did Jesus Light Hanukkah Candles?

Haanukak wasn't old Mosiac anything, it was a 2nd Century B.C. revolt. The Babylonians did away with the old Mosaic laws and wrote up new ones, which of course why Jesus was an advocate for a return to the Torah.
First part is correct.
Human kings do away with nothing. They opposed God's Law and now they are dust

Just curious. Is Maccabees a part of "your" recognized scriptures? Shamefully I don't know. I will read it today.

Antiochus IV Epiphanies defiled the temple and tried to Hellenize the Jews. See Maccabean revolt and the rededication of the Temple. They celebrated with the first Chanukah.

Yes, definitely - to your question. Hanukkah starts the 25th day of Kislev, and continues for eight days. This tells me that Jesus DID celebrate Hanukkah.

And you are correct that the holiday is not mentioned in the OT. The victory of the Maccabees against the Assyrian Greeks was 2nd c BCE.

Read the book of Daniel circa164 BC.

There is zero evidence of Jesus lighting candles on what is now referred to as Hanukkah.

No. Candles are a Roman invention of the 2nd century AD. I guess he lightened oil lambs.
I would consider lighting oil lamps rather than candles to be a very minor technicality. I suppose the question of the OP could be rephrased as "Did Jesus celebrate Hanukkah and if so, how did he do it?" I would expect that the celebration has evolved over the years.

In the spirit of the evening, Christmas Eve and the 7th Night of Hanukkah, I ask….

Did Jesus light the Hanukkah candles? Did Mary and Joseph do so when he was a little boy, and he continued as an adult (as I have)?

I am just curious what everyone thinks. I’m thinking….probably yes.

I have no idea to what extent Hanukkah was celebrated in Jesus' day, but He went to Jerusalem with His parents to celebrate Passover. He was a Jew--and a practicing Jew. So maybe, maybe not. But if it was common Jewish practice then, He did.

Haanukak wasn't old Mosiac anything, it was a 2nd Century B.C. revolt.

Hannuka - the light festival - remembers to the seven arms lighter in the temple. Always the menora should lighten. When the Seleucid rulership died in Judea they had in the temple only oil for 1 one day. It needed eight days to make new oil for this lighter. But the oil for one day was enough for this eight days. A wonder in sense of "Gods light is always lightening and never will perish". That's what the eight "days" - the flow of time - of the Hannuka candelabra are remembering us. Also a nice "Christmas" symbol isn't it? Whatelse remember us the many many "stars" on the Christmas tree if not the light god gives us all?

Wrong. It is a religious celebration, celebrating a miracle. (Two, actually.)

It's only 'religious' in the sense that the Babylonians set themselves up as a 'master race' myth. they had no great prophets after the exile except for John The Baptist, Jesus, and John, which makes it clear by their own theology they were no longer the 'Jews' of the original Covenants.

The feast is not Biblically demanded, so no, He didn't light candles for it.

Antiochus IV Epiphanies defiled the temple. He put up a statue of Zeus and sacrificed pigs. He made it into the first abomination of desolation . The first Chanukah was to rededicate the temple. Not all Christians read the book of the Maccabees. I think it's only included by Orthodox churches in their Bibles.

It sure makes sense of Daniel.. and Jesus warning to flee to the mountains when you see the abomination of desolation spoken of in Daniel.

It's only 'religious' in the sense that the Babylonians set themselves up as a 'master race' myth. they had no great prophets after the exile except for John The Baptist, Jesus, and John, which makes it clear by their own theology they were no longer the 'Jews' of the original Covenants.

The first Chanukah was in 164 BC.

Antiochus IV Epiphanies defiled the temple and tried to Hellenize the Jews. See Maccabean revolt and the rededication of the Temple. They celebrated with the first Chanukah.

Jews were already being 'Hellenized', with or without Antiochus. He was merely going to replace the fake 'Nobility' class invented by the Babylonians 'master race' nonsense. More Jews spoke and read Greek than Hebrew by then, Hebrew being reduced to a secret cult language among priests by then. The Ark was long gone from the Temple by then, they only purpose of the Temple biblically was to house the Ark, Solomon's Temple being a promise of David's; the 2nd Temple is only claimed by Haggai, a post-exilic 'prophet', and probably a false 'prophecy' made up to serve the Babylonians' scam.

“Haggai, the earliest prophet of the post-exilic restoration of Judah, is known, apart from this book, only from references made to him in Ezra. These show him as a contemporary of Zechariah, serving in Judah and Jerusalem. As a result of their joint ministry the work of rebuilding the Temple was resumed and completed (Ezr. 5:1; 6:14). Nothing is stated about the private life of Haggai and it is generally assumed that he was one of the main group of exiles who returned from Babylonia following the decree of Cyrus in 538/7 B.C., which allowed the rebuilding of the Jerusalem Temple. If so he would have witnessed the initial work then undertaken and the subsequent lapse of effort in the face of opposition. …

The '2nd Temple' was a creation of Cyrus's.

Jews were already being 'Hellenized', with or without Antiochus. He was merely going to replace the fake 'Nobility' class invented by the Babylonians 'master race' nonsense. More Jews spoke and read Greek than Hebrew by then, Hebrew being reduced to a secret cult language among priests by then. The Ark was long gone from the Temple by then, they only purpose of the Temple biblically was to house the Ark, Solomon's Temple being a promise of David's; the 2nd Temple is only claimed by Haggai, a post-exilic 'prophet', and probably a false 'prophecy' made up to serve the Babylonians' scam.

“Haggai, the earliest prophet of the post-exilic restoration of Judah, is known, apart from this book, only from references made to him in Ezra. These show him as a contemporary of Zechariah, serving in Judah and Jerusalem. As a result of their joint ministry the work of rebuilding the Temple was resumed and completed (Ezr. 5:1; 6:14). Nothing is stated about the private life of Haggai and it is generally assumed that he was one of the main group of exiles who returned from Babylonia following the decree of Cyrus in 538/7 B.C., which allowed the rebuilding of the Jerusalem Temple. If so he would have witnessed the initial work then undertaken and the subsequent lapse of effort in the face of opposition. …

What does any of that have to do with Chanukah being celebrated after the rededication of the temple when they got rid of Antiochus IV Epiphanies?

What does any of that have to do with Chanukah being celebrated after the rededication of the temple when they got rid of Antiochus IV Epiphanies?

It wasn't a religious holiday, that's what. Their 'Temple' had nothing to do with the religion of Moses. Neither did the Maccabees. Temple states can conveniently claim every attack on them is a 'religious war'; it's a fiction in real life.

It wasn't a religious holiday, that's what. Their 'Temple' had nothing to do with the religion of Moses. Neither did the Maccabees. Temple states can conveniently claim every attack on them is a 'religious war'; it's a fiction in real life.

You can talk about perceptions. I'm just going with what happened..

Forum List

Back