Zone1 Did Jesus Light Hanukkah Candles?

I would consider lighting oil lamps rather than candles to be a very minor technicality. I suppose the question of the OP could be rephrased as "Did Jesus celebrate Hanukkah and if so, how did he do it?" I would expect that the celebration has evolved over the years.

About an "evolution" - a change - in the traditions how to celebrate Hanuka I know nothing. But Jesus was a Jew. So he celebrated what all Jews celebrated.

Antiochus IV Epiphanies pushed the envelope. He forbid circumcision.

He as going to replace the head con artist 'noble' at the head of the TEmple with his own guy. The Temple cult was the govt., so it is only on that sense the 'revolt' was 'religious'; it had zilch to do with Judaism or religion, it was purely political, like the 2nd Temple itself was.

He as going to replace the head con artist 'noble' at the head of the TEmple with his own guy. The Temple cult was the govt., so it is only on that sense the 'revolt' was 'religious'; it had zilch to do with Judaism or religion, it was purely political, like the 2nd Temple itself was.

It's only 'religious' in the sense that the Babylonians set themselves up as a 'master race' myth. they had no great prophets after the exile except for John The Baptist, Jesus, and John, which makes it clear by their own theology they were no longer the 'Jews' of the original Covenants.
Look….you’ve come out with lots of antisemitic comments, and now - in your arrogance - tell a Jew that her holiday is not religious?

Hanukkah celebrates the miracle of G-d.

Jesus was in effect, a Jewish Rabbi who was considered a reformer by many (which became Christianity as we know it). So I suppose if it was the norm for Jews and/or Rabbis to light candles in his era than yes, he would have as well.

If not, than accordingly, no.

Can a fictional character light candles?
Early Christians wrote about Jesus. Secular historians wrote about Jesus. Jewish historians wrote about Jesus. 24,000 written manuscripts detail his 3 1/2 year ministry. Seems like Jesus existed to me.

Early Christians wrote about Jesus. Secular historians wrote about Jesus. Jewish historians wrote about Jesus. 24,000 written manuscripts detail his 3 1/2 year ministry. Seems like Jesus existed to me.

I've seen three movies with Jar Jar Binks ... it doesn't mean I believe he's real ...

_8f246c3e-9d90-11e5-953e-ede5d8fc0602.jpg

I believe He did, yes. And I might've mentioned this before… but my view is that Jesus was born in mid-September. So if that's the case, then it is very likely that Jesus was conceived on or around December 25. And since Hanukkah is also called the Festival of Lights, for those of us who believe that Jesus was conceived around that time, it makes perfect sense, because that would mean the Light of the World first came into the world during the Festival of Lights.

I'm sure some of my fellow Christians won't like me saying this, but frankly, Hanukkah is more biblical than Christmas. I would like to start celebrating Hanukkah. :) To celebrate the arrival of the Light of the World.

But, not a single primary source ... not a single word written by anyone who knew him first hand. In historical terms, that's pretty iffy evidence.
Actually the timing, accuracy and number of manuscripts is unparalleled in antiquity. Nothing compares or comes close to comparing. So, no. In historical terms it's literally at the opposite end of iffy. You got anything else? Not that you need it cause football team, right?

Actually the timing, accuracy and number of manuscripts is unparalleled in antiquity.

It's amazingly easy to say something is a fulfillment of prophecy if you're making up the story a century or so AFTER the event. Even so, it's obvious that those who wrote that Jesus came in fulfillment of the Jewish prophecy of a Moshiach didn't understand the concept of Moshiach. Had they understood it, I think they would have written a post-script biography for him that more closely matches the Jewish idea of The Moshiach.

It's amazingly easy to say something is a fulfillment of prophecy if you're making up the story a century or so AFTER the event. Even so, it's obvious that those who wrote that Jesus came in fulfillment of the Jewish prophecy of a Moshiach didn't understand the concept of Moshiach. Had they understood it, I think they would have written a post-script biography for him that more closely matches the Jewish idea of The Moshiach.
The Christian view is that your people didn't understand the prophecy. And given that YOUR perception of the prophecy has never been fulfilled in over 2400 years, time suggests your people didn't understand the prophecy too.

Had they understood it, I think they would have written a post-script biography for him that more closely matches the Jewish idea of The Moshiach.
Or they had a different understanding after Christ suffered death and rose from the death.

And given that YOUR perception of the prophecy has never been fulfilled in over 2400 years, time suggests your people didn't understand the prophecy too.

How long have YOU guys been waiting for your guy to come back?

Or they had a different understanding after Christ suffered death and rose from the death.

Nice story. Just not convinced it happened. You would think that an event so unprecedented would have been recorded by someone at the time. Not just written about a century later. The Romans were meticulous chroniclers.

How long have YOU guys been waiting for your guy to come back?
Depends on who you ask. If you ask me he already has. But again. not necessarily how others expected. Much like your prophecy wasn't what you expected either.

Forum List

Back