Did John Boehner Violate the Logan Act?

Star

Gold Member
Apr 5, 2009

Did John Boehner Commit Sedition?

Did John Boehner Commit Treason?

Is John Boehner a Moron?

Did John Boehner Violate the Logan Act By Inviting Netanyahu To Speak?
Saul Goodman
January 22, 2015

Reecently, in a shocking breach of protocol and precedent which once again demonstrated the utter contempt with which he views the Office of the President of the United States, John Boehner extended an invitation to address Congress to Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu. An Israeli election is coming up in a few months, and Netanyahu, whose policies have become increasingly unpopular in Israel, faces a difficult campaign. Clearly Boehner is trying to help Netanyahu's chances in the election, but his unprecedented invitation was not only an insult to the President of the United States and to 200 years of history and precedent, it may also violate the Logan Act, a crime punishable by up to three years imprisonment.

<snip>

The Constitution makes clear that matters of international diplomacy are within the scope of Executive, not Legislative powers. It is the President who decides whether to recognize foreign governments. It is the President who receives foreign dignitaries. It is the President who negotiates treaties. Congress DOES play a role - they must approve treaties by a two thirds vote and they must approve the appointment of Ambassadors by the President. But they do not initiate policy. And in any event, these are functions of the SENATE. John Boehner is not a member of the Senate.

So what do you think? Is John Boehner simply a classless,
insulting obstructionist fool, or is he also a criminal?

Hey dumbass, do you know what a JOINT SESSION of congress is? The senate has to agree to it. They are gathering information, not entering into negotiations. But considering congress appropriates foreign aid they have a valid reason to gather information, your dear leader sure can't be counted on to tell them the truth.

"[T]he President alone has the power to speak or listen as a representative of the nation. He makes treaties with the advice and consent of the Senate; but he alone negotiates. Into the field of negotiation the Senate cannot intrude, and Congress itself is powerless to invade it."

United States v. Curtiss-Wright Export Corp. (1936)

Presumably 'congress itself' would include both the house and the senate. Making a 'joint session' quite irrelevant.

The point is that John Boehner has absolutely no business inviting foreign leaders to the USA. The protocol for more than 200 years is that American politics, esp. American political strite, ends at the water's edge. It is the EXECUTIVE branch that invites foreign dignitaries, not John Boehner. Only, it is not specifically prohibited in the US Constitution. So, I doubt it is illegal, just classless. Typical for a Republican.

The point is that John Boehner has absolutely no business inviting foreign leaders to the USA. The protocol for more than 200 years is that American politics, esp. American political strite, ends at the water's edge. It is the EXECUTIVE branch that invites foreign dignitaries, not John Boehner. Only, it is not specifically prohibited in the US Constitution. So, I doubt it is illegal, just classless. Typical for a Republican.

He's acting like the leader we haven't had the last 6 years. Now with Iran having a missile that can hit the USA, and just the other day Obama blasting the speaker for this, he's going to have to humble himself and admit he's a fucking moron for not inviting the PM.

I wasn't much of a boner supporter, but I knew once we won the senate he'd grow balls and challenge this President. Boner just made Obama look like his bitch. Literally and I'm LOVING EVERY BIT OF IT. :)

You mean like Nancy Pelosi did that the far left drones like you had no problem with?

"[T]he President alone has the power to speak or listen as a representative of the nation. He makes treaties with the advice and consent of the Senate; but he alone negotiates. Into the field of negotiation the Senate cannot intrude, and Congress itself is powerless to invade it."

United States v. Curtiss-Wright Export Corp. (1936)

Presumably 'congress itself' would include both the house and the senate. Making a 'joint session' quite irrelevant.

The far left and their inability to understand anything beyond their programming..

You mean like Nancy Pelosi did that the far left drones like you had no problem with?
Which leader of a foreign nation did Nancy Pelosi invite to speak before Congress? And did she do it behind Bush's back?

Gesendet von meinem GT-I9515 mit Tapatalk

Which leader of a foreign nation did Nancy Pelosi invite to speak before Congress? And did she do it behind Bush's back?

Once again the far left will ignore their own..

I guess being a far left drone in Germany has blinded you to much..

Did John Boehner Commit Sedition?

Did John Boehner Commit Treason?

Is John Boehner a Moron?

Did John Boehner Violate the Logan Act By Inviting Netanyahu To Speak?
Saul Goodman
January 22, 2015

Reecently, in a shocking breach of protocol and precedent which once again demonstrated the utter contempt with which he views the Office of the President of the United States, John Boehner extended an invitation to address Congress to Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu. An Israeli election is coming up in a few months, and Netanyahu, whose policies have become increasingly unpopular in Israel, faces a difficult campaign. Clearly Boehner is trying to help Netanyahu's chances in the election, but his unprecedented invitation was not only an insult to the President of the United States and to 200 years of history and precedent, it may also violate the Logan Act, a crime punishable by up to three years imprisonment.

<snip>

The Constitution makes clear that matters of international diplomacy are within the scope of Executive, not Legislative powers. It is the President who decides whether to recognize foreign governments. It is the President who receives foreign dignitaries. It is the President who negotiates treaties. Congress DOES play a role - they must approve treaties by a two thirds vote and they must approve the appointment of Ambassadors by the President. But they do not initiate policy. And in any event, these are functions of the SENATE. John Boehner is not a member of the Senate.

So what do you think? Is John Boehner simply a classless,
insulting obstructionist fool, or is he also a criminal?

No, he didn't violate the Logan act. His invitation has no legal significance. If that violated the Logan act, then Nazi Pelosi violated it when she visited the President of Syria, and numerous other Democrats have violated it as well in similar fashion.

Obama deserves to be treated with contempt. Three cheers for Boehner! He did something right for a change.

I ask again: which foreign leader did Nancy Pelosi, as Speaker of the US HOR from 2007-2011, invite to speak before Congress?

Answer: no one.

Nancy understands how the Congress is supposed to work. Boehner does not.

You can go around insulting the Left as much as you want, but it won't change the facts.

Are you even capable of debating ideas and information.

I ask again: which foreign leader did Nancy Pelosi, as Speaker of the US HOR from 2007-2011, invite to speak before Congress?

You can go around insulting the Left as much as you want, but it won't change the facts.

Look it up yourself do your own research there far left drone..

However this trumps what is happening now and the far left was silent..

Speaker Pelosi Goes to Syria Taylor Marsh

However if you still support the far left I suggest look at who you are supporting before look at anyone else.

The OP's premise is Boenher should not be in any foreign matters. It is not his position at all. Not to meet on US or foreign ground.

The op's contention is clear, however Pelosi and other Democratic House members met with foreign officials behind the President's back. Did Boehner invite a foreign dignitary to speak in the House yes, is it unprecedented? Yes, is it worse than meeting with a foreign dignitary behind the President's back in a foreign country? About the same, they are both meant to disrespect the President.

I see it as two moves to disrespect the Presidents, neither is better or worse. The meaning Pelosi and Boehner sent to the Presidents are quite clear and both are guilty of playing disgusting political games. To say one is worse is absolutely stupid partisan politics.

The OP's premise is Boenher should not be in any foreign matters. It is not his position at all. Not to meet on US or foreign ground.

The op's contention is clear, however Pelosi and other Democratic House members met with foreign officials behind the President's back. Did Boehner invite a foreign dignitary to speak in the House yes, is it unprecedented? Yes, is it worse than meeting with a foreign dignitary behind the President's back in a foreign country? About the same, they are both meant to disrespect the President.

I see it as two moves to disrespect the Presidents, neither is better or worse. The meaning Pelosi and Boehner sent to the Presidents are quite clear and both are guilty of playing disgusting political games. To say one is worse is absolutely stupid partisan politics.

Ukraine s President speaks at U.S. Capitol House.gov

Where was the far left outrage over this?

However if you still support the far left I suggest look at who you are supporting before look at anyone else.

Not the same. A number of GOP representatives have visited foreign dignitary overseas, especially in the ME. Not the same as INVITING a world leader to speak in front of the Congress.

Discernment is really not your thing, what?

Boehner conferred with Obama first before he made the invite.

Really, RWNJs make this far too easy.

Not the same. A number of GOP representatives have visited foreign dignitary overseas, especially in the ME. Not the same as INVITING a world leader to speak in front of the Congress.

Discernment is really not your thing, what?

Yes I know far left drones are incapable of admitting they are wrong about those that they support. It is like talking to a two year old..

Here is another foreign member that Bohner invited, why no outrage form the far left?

Boehner conferred with Obama first before he made the invite.

Really, RWNJs make this far too easy.

Wrong!!

Forum List

Back