Did the hurricane and flood hurt you, or were you lucky?

BULLDOG

Diamond Member
Jun 3, 2014
The water is finally running off some, and some of us are able to evaluate the damage. I was pretty lucky. I was without lights, internet, and water for 3 days, and my home telephone isn't working yet, but my house didn't flood . The worse thing for me is I drove through some pretty deep water and got my carpet wet. Now my truck smells like there is a dead body stuffed under the seat. My nephew's house got 9 feet of water, my sister got 18 inches in hers, and my brother's truck got washed off the road and into 6 ft ditch by the wave from an idiot in a jacked up truck driving 20 mph through 2 ft of water. How did you come out in the flood? Were you lucky like me, or did things really turn to crap for you?

The water is finally running off some, and some of us are able to evaluate the damage. I was pretty lucky. I was without lights, internet, and water for 3 days, and my home telephone isn't working yet, but my house didn't flood . The worse thing for me is I drove through some pretty deep water and got my carpet wet. Now my truck smells like there is a dead body stuffed under the seat. My nephew's house got 9 feet of water, my sister got 18 inches in hers, and my brother's truck got washed off the road and into 6 ft ditch by the wave from an idiot in a jacked up truck driving 20 mph through 2 ft of water. How did you come out in the flood? Were you lucky like me, or did things really turn to crap for you?

Grew up in Florida, so I've seen the decisions that folks have to make. Understand why some folks stay.

In Nashville, we got about 10 hours of really tropical rain rates. And the tornado sirens went off a couple times. Some minor damage. About 30 rescues. NOTHING like what you guys went thru. :beer:

Only impact on me, was 3 straight hours of directing water away from the house. We have a forested hill that slopes to the back patio. And I was tarping and blocking and sweeping water down the driveway stairs at 1AM.

Grew up in Florida, so I've seen the decisions that folks have to make. Understand why some folks stay.

In Nashville, we got about 10 hours of really tropical rain rates. And the tornado sirens went off a couple times. Some minor damage. About 30 rescues. NOTHING like what you guys went thru. :beer:

Only impact on me, was 3 straight hours of directing water away from the house. We have a forested hill that slopes to the back patio. And I was tarping and blocking and sweeping water down the driveway stairs at 1AM.

Some got much worse. The churches, fire stations, and just every day people were amazing. I saw a couple of national guard trucks parked by flooded roads, but the average guy with a boat worked all day and night rescuing people from rising water. I was surprised to see lots of the town druggies sober and working their asses off. I didn't hear a single report of any looting either.

The price of gas went up 50 cents per gallon, but no really significant damage. I'm in South Carolina. Last summer I participated in a mission trip to the lower part of the state to do flood damage repairs.

The price of gas went up 50 cents per gallon, but no really significant damage. I'm in South Carolina. Last summer I participated in a mission trip to the lower part of the state to do flood damage repairs.

The gas companies use every excuse to boost the price.

The gas companies use every excuse to boost the price.
Yep! It took about 3 days for the price to get up by 50 cents per gallon. It will takes months for it to come back down.

Many people are hurting over there, still are, and will continue to for a very long time.

Many people are hurting over there, still are, and will continue to for a very long time.

Yep. When Rita destroyed my house, I didn't think I would ever get through that ordeal. Thousands are going through the same thing right now.

Have a niece living in Houston with her two kids, 18 and 19 and her husband of 25 years. Water came up to their driveway..

Trump's second visit to Houston, nice optics, but what was he "saying"?

I sent her a link to Trump saying these things:

Trump and first lady Melania Trump then went to a drive-up area outside the church and helped load boxes of supplies and pallets of bottled water into residents’ cars.
Trump remarked to a volunteer coordinator, “I like doing this,” and noted to his wife, “This is good exercise.”

“Things are working out well,” Trump said.

Asked about the families he just spoke with at the shelter, the president said, “they were just happy — a lot of happiness.”

------------------

Needless to say, she doesn't have very nice things to say about Trump.

Have a niece living in Houston with her two kids, 18 and 19 and her husband of 25 years. Water came up to their driveway..

Trump and first lady Melania Trump then went to a drive-up area outside the church and helped load boxes of supplies and pallets of bottled water into residents’ cars.
Trump remarked to a volunteer coordinator, “I like doing this,” and noted to his wife, “This is good exercise.”

Asked about the families he just spoke with at the shelter, the president said, “they were just happy — a lot of happiness.”

------------------

I'm not really sure he understands that those people won't be able to stay at one of their resorts while repairs are being made to their home, like he did.

------------------

I'm not really sure he understands that those people won't be able to stay at one of their resorts while repairs are being made to their home, like he did.

I have 2 employees that service that territory thanks god they are okay and so are their houses. But they have relatives that are in very bad shapes.
They helped them remove flooded furnitures, appliances, rotten dry walls etc etc etc.
Yesterday they started looking for workers that can start fixing walls and other repairs. They called every construction companies but cannot even get through.

Rebuilding Houston will be tough and slow especially Mexicans are scared traveling.

Right now I'm tracking hurricane IRMA. My house sitter in Key Biscayne already boarded my windows both first and second floor ready to rock. All valuable items are moved to the second floor.
Plywood are custom made with threaded insert cut especially per assigned window. I had these made from last year hurricane season. So it will only take less than 3 hours to complete.
I'm very confident my house can withstand those categories.
My boat was moved from storage and on the way to Port Lauderdale bunker (I think ) storage about 40 miles north of Key Biscayne.
My house sitter wanted to stay and stick around but I told him that's okay but how about my 3 Pekingese dog? He packed today and will leave Key Biscayne by Thursday morning.

I will probably fly there next week depending the out come how pissed off my girl friend IRMA.

Forum List

Back