Did you go to public school?

OldGuy, did you see Boston traded Babe Ruth to the Yankees? :lol:

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2VjPPuias1k]Jethro Tull - Living in the past - YouTube[/ame]

I went to public school in the Bronx and there's no relationship whatsoever between education then and now.

The principal was essentially the Owner of the school and knew what the students were up to.

I had summer reading and I was in all the advanced classes

I started at Queens college and had the best English teacher in the country

Last edited:
Unfortunately I did go to public school.

I was bored out of my skull for most of it.

I went to public schools.

Back then the dress code was like this...

Boys

Hair could not touch the big bone at the back of the neck or cover the opening of ear.
Sideburns could not extend past the lowest opening of the ear.
Jeans were allowed as long as they were not excessively faded, had holes or patches.
Shirts had to have collars and a pocket.

Girls (They were allowed to wear Jeans my Sophmore year, until then only pressed slacks were allowed.)

Tops could not expose any part of the midriff with both arms raised above the head.
Skirts and dresses had to cover the bottom of the kneecap when standing straight.
Slacks had to have a neat appearance.
Bras had to be worn at all times and be of the support type.
Blouses had to have a collar and could not be seen through when wet. Had to be button to the base of the "V" at the base of the throat.

Hall passes were expected, teachers and staff were to be addressed as Mr. Miss. Mrs. Sir or Ma'am.

You could go to the student parking lot during hunting season and find a rifle and or a shotgun in nearly every vehicle. School shut down for the for the first day of Deer Season. We never had a shooting or a knifing at the school even though half the boys wore a Buck 301 knife on their belts.

Fist fights were held behind the FFA barn on Friday, the fight stopped at first blood.

We had our first known case of a female student getting pregnant my Senior year in 1978.
We had one male student busted for drugs. He came to school every day in the Sheriff's car, was picked up by the Sheriff every afternoon and spent the weekends in the jail for 6 months.

If you got in trouble in school, the first punishment was helping the Janitor cleaning the school for 3 days. You went home when he did.

Yes, this was a public school. The school board was made up of parents of the students, most of which were farmers and store owners.

75% of my graduating class went either to college or into the military.

yea, i went to publics schools. back when you could still pray in them and you actually learned something

Yes.

My high school offered vocational courses, partnered with the local public college, that were two hour-long classes. (Architectural Drafting for me)
:thup:

I went to public school in th 50's and it sucked. Yeah, we had a great time. We had damn little homework compared to what kids get today. The main interest was cars, girls, and beer.

Hasn't anyone been to private school? With all the condemnation of public schools and praise for prioritization, I would expect someone extolling the virtues of private school.

Last edited:

Boys

Hair could not touch the big bone at the back of the neck or cover the opening of ear.
Jeans were allowed as long as they were not excessively faded, had holes or patches.

Girls (They were allowed to wear Jeans my Sophmore year, until then only pressed slacks were allowed.)

Tops could not expose any part of the midriff with both arms raised above the head.
Skirts and dresses had to cover the bottom of the kneecap when standing straight.
Blouses had to have a collar and could not be seen through when wet. Had to be button to the base of the "V" at the base of the throat.

Hall passes were expected, teachers and staff were to be addressed as Mr. Miss. Mrs. Sir or Ma'am.

You could go to the student parking lot during hunting season and find a rifle and or a shotgun in nearly every vehicle. School shut down for the for the first day of Deer Season. We never had a shooting or a knifing at the school even though half the boys wore a Buck 301 knife on their belts.

Fist fights were held behind the FFA barn on Friday, the fight stopped at first blood.

We had our first known case of a female student getting pregnant my Senior year in 1978.
We had one male student busted for drugs. He came to school every day in the Sheriff's car, was picked up by the Sheriff every afternoon and spent the weekends in the jail for 6 months.

If you got in trouble in school, the first punishment was helping the Janitor cleaning the school for 3 days. You went home when he did.

Yes, this was a public school. The school board was made up of parents of the students, most of which were farmers and store owners.

^ possible classmate

Boys

^ possible classmate

Only if you are from NE Ohio.

This thread, just the most recent bashing public education, led me to ask this question of all the respondents here.

http://www.usmessageboard.com/polit...-public-school-is-borderline-child-abuse.html

Did you go to public school?

I did, for all 12 years in Texas and Oklahoma. And, a public university too.

I don't think I missed very much and, in fact, believe I got a fine education.

What about y'all?

Attended public schools from 1955-1967; reportedly some of the worst schools in the nation. Was never in a non-academic class with fewer than 35 students and many core classes (history, English) had more than forty. In 1964 the high school guidance counselor asked me, "Why do you want to go to college? No one in your family ever did anything." We owned two farms in an era farmers were laughing stock for town people. My father corrected the guidance counselor in public and life moved on.

Never even heard of a teacher's aid before working in DC in the late 1980s.

Did well in college in two sessions, 1967-68 and 1970-1972, got a second degree in the 1980s and believe my high school education is the difference. Some years ago after becoming involved in financial literacy in regional schools (following publication of "A nation at risk") I was invited to my high school for an extended visit to see what was going on and address students, etc. It was appalling. It about made me sick.

Told the superintendent it wouldn't be possible for me to support what they were doing. Too many fatassed bureaucrats making too much money, too much focus on baby sitting and essentially worthless "gifted and talented" programs, not enough focus on "stupid and lost" students and no serious focus on critical thinking. There was no connection to the education that enabled me to bury ivy league graduates toe to toe in business and elsewhere. None.

In my time there was prayer and shame- and clear nonnegotiable standards. That worked. Today you can see camel toe, tits, tattoos, and self-esteem coaches; pretty much everything but critical thinking and rigorous standards.

Last edited:
I went to public school in th 50's and it sucked. Yeah, we had a great time. We had damn little homework compared to what kids get today. The main interest was cars, girls, and beer.

Hasn't anyone been to private school? With all the condemnation of public schools and praise for prioritization, I would expect someone extolling the virtues of private school.

i did a private school for two years. i didn't think it was any different to be honest.

I graduated from high school in '62. Went to at least 13 differant public schools in that period. Ranged from extroidenary to bad. However, no matter what the school is, it is up the the student and parents to see that one's education is adaquete. Learning to read well and widely is the first step.

ne of the things I most remember about the small towns that we moved around in was the paucity of books in the libraries. Today, with the internet in almost every home, there is simply no excuse for anyone being ignorant. If a young person doesn't know anything today, that is that person's and parent's choice.

i did a private school for two years. i didn't think it was any different to be honest.
I sent my daughter to private school in grades 1-4 and then put her in public school. To my shock she was well behind the other students and we had a tutor for about 6 months for her to catch up. Since then, I have not been a fan of private schools.

In my area, there is one that is suppose to be very good. My son is considering sending his daughter. Of course it ought to be good, it cost $25K a year.

My son went to a private school until 6th grade. Then we sent him to public school.

By then he had a good foundation and was accepted in the Telecomm/computer sciences program for his High School years.

Did any of you assholes have to walk to school...uphill both ways....AFTER you did all your chores?

Fucking dummies. My public school educated kids.....all three of them.....would own most of you nutters here in ten minutes.

The school.....the parents....the community...........they all need to work in order for education to take place.

You nutters.....as gullible and void of common sense as you are....want to praise your education while deriding that of the modern teen. Fucking arrogance.

Those last two words you have to be referring to yourself. Whow.

I sent my daughter to private school in grades 1-4 and then put her in public school. To my shock she was well behind the other students and we had a tutor for about 6 months for her to catch up. Since then, I have not been a fan of private schools.

In my area, there is one that is suppose to be very good. My son is considering sending his daughter. Of course it ought to be good, it cost $25K a year.

just a school being private doesn't mean it will be better. there are a lot of very good public schools, there are a lot of very good privated schools. there are also a lot of bad. what private schools used to offer was they generally had a more focused group of kids and provided a better environment for learning. but now you have a lot of people who can afford to send their kids to private schools who really aren't all that focused on learning. plus you have a lot of kids receiving funding for these schools who may or may not be a positive element. what you sometimes get from private schools are better connections. and that is a real plus. public schools today are so mired down in political correctness and covering their asses thye lose focus on education,

I went to an inner city public school. Back then it was about 60/40 white/black. Who by and large lived in peace even though it was through the race riots in the 60s.

I remember sitting in school the day Kenndy was shot and wondered why some of the kids were laughing. Remember it like it was yesterday.

We started every day with prayer, up to high school, and I didn't see one kid burst into flames for doing so.

We also learned to duck and tuck.

I would say that the education you got then was as good as one wanted it to be. I took the acedemic classes and worked at them as much as it took to pass. Thankfully I did so because it served me well, and still is today. After HS I went into the nuclear Navy and learned my trade.

I went to an inner city public school. Back then it was about 60/40 white/black. Who by and large lived in peace even though it was through the race riots in the 60s.

I remember sitting in school the day Kenndy was shot and wondered why some of the kids were laughing. Remember it like it was yesterday.

We started every day with prayer, up to high school, and I didn't see one kid burst into flames for doing so.

We also learned to duck and tuck.

I would say that the education you got then was as good as one wanted it to be. I took the acedemic classes and worked at them as much as it took to pass. Thankfully I did so because it served me well, and still is today. After HS I went into the nuclear Navy and learned my trade.

i didn't meet a black person until i got to college

Public education with several graduate degrees and post-graduate education.

The motivation for most on the board who malign public education is generated either from malignance, mentally feebleness, or ignorance.

Several, including Contumacious and bripat, are motivated by all three causes.

Forum List

Back