Digital Noise Graffiti

Fuses, fusible links, bridge rectifiers, any number of things in a power supply can fail without any evidence whatsoever except, no power.

The Power Supply can fail without any smoke seals failing, without any sound or any sparks. Why doesn't she take it to a computer shop and get a estimate first?

Could be something really simple, like the cooling fan quit and the overheat circuit tripped.
Because she won't listen to me..she doesn't want to spend more money and in the long run have to just buy a new pc. She is on a very fixed income, and that's why she said she will just buy a new one that way no worries. I tried to tell her! I even told her I would walk her though dismantling it and send me the part for me to check. She wouldn't go for it. I even said, I'll pay for you to ship the PC to me and let me work on it. NOPE she said..too much trouble! She said...pick one from Wal Mart for me....LOL I told her yuck then she said I have an account with Amazon and trust them so go there.

Fuses, fusible links, bridge rectifiers, any number of things in a power supply can fail without any evidence whatsoever except, no power.
Her CD rom's were spinning just fine she said she wasn't on the PC all day, walked in and got a black screen, went to reboot and black screen again. Fans were working fine

Personally, I hate dealing with hardware, not my area of expertise. I know how it all works, but I am just not up to date on how to do it well. I always end up frying something.

The Power Supply can fail without any smoke seals failing, without any sound or any sparks. Why doesn't she take it to a computer shop and get a estimate first?

Could be something really simple, like the cooling fan quit and the overheat circuit tripped.
Because she won't listen to me..she doesn't want to spend more money and in the long run have to just buy a new pc. She is on a very fixed income, and that's why she said she will just buy a new one that way no worries. I tried to tell her! I even told her I would walk her though dismantling it and send me the part for me to check. She wouldn't go for it. I even said, I'll pay for you to ship the PC to me and let me work on it. NOPE she said..too much trouble! She said...pick one from Wal Mart for me....LOL I told her yuck then she said I have an account with Amazon and trust them so go there.
Her income will be broken, not fixed, if she keeps wasting her money this way.

Did you tell her she's probably kissing all her old files goodbye during this process? Old HD won't be compatible with a new system, and data recovery can cost more than a new PC!

How did it "die" exactly? Almost anything in it can be fixed, all data can be retrieved....
I think it was her motherboard because when she turned on the PC she got nothing....usually if the HD goes out she would at least get a message of her HD not found. I had her smell and touch the power supply and that was not overheated nor smelled like a burn out. I had her replace the battery in it, that wasn't it. Her monitor is brand new and the same as mine...it was fine. So that is what leads me to believe it was the Motherboard.

MM her system was very low grade as it was. Her hard drive was only a 40 gig and 1 gig of ram. I have no idea the model of the motherboard but it has to be old with the other stuff.
Look for some re-manned and reconditioned Systemax PCs here:

TigerDirect.com - Buy Computer Products at Discount Prices!

The last email I sent to Tiger Direct went something like the following.

"In the past, I've had terrible luck with Tiger Direct. You would never honor rebates, your products were sometimes DOA, your customer service was awful and your return policy was poor. Have you improved your image since then? If so, please let me know."

I never got a response.

That said, Systemax PCs are nice.

Her CD rom's were spinning just fine she said she wasn't on the PC all day, walked in and got a black screen, went to reboot and black screen again. Fans were working fine
If the CD ROMS are spinning, we have some power.

Keep in mind that the power supply generates many voltages. 5 volt, 12 volt, for example and any one of those could quit, leaving you with a dead PC but with some stuff working.

She might also have a heat cut-out on the processor. Her heat sink is probably gummed up with dust.

Her income will be broken, not fixed, if she keeps wasting her money this way.

Did you tell her she's probably kissing all her old files goodbye during this process? Old HD won't be compatible with a new system, and data recovery can cost more than a new PC!
You remember I just came back from Fl visiting her. While I was there I checked out her pc. When I saw over 80% of her hard drive was in use, I transfered all her music and pictures onto CD's and bought her a 8 gig flash drive. Showed her how to create a folder, burn it on a CD and stuff. I told her she really had no space for shit.

While there I also fixed another problem she had...and that was 3 yes 3 different anti virus software running! Can you imagine? Not only that she had anti spam crap program and tons of shit running in the background. I cleaned that puppy up nice. Looked inside her PC and it was free of dust but forgot what motherboard and shit she has. I do remember saying to myself...Damn this shit came out in 1999.

Edit to add: Oh yeah her son built it years ago and bought most of the stuff from Newegg

I think it was her motherboard because when she turned on the PC she got nothing....usually if the HD goes out she would at least get a message of her HD not found. I had her smell and touch the power supply and that was not overheated nor smelled like a burn out. I had her replace the battery in it, that wasn't it. Her monitor is brand new and the same as mine...it was fine. So that is what leads me to believe it was the Motherboard.

MM her system was very low grade as it was. Her hard drive was only a 40 gig and 1 gig of ram. I have no idea the model of the motherboard but it has to be old with the other stuff.

"In the past, I've had terrible luck with Tiger Direct. You would never honor rebates, your products were sometimes DOA, your customer service was awful and your return policy was poor. Have you improved your image since then? If so, please let me know."

I never got a response.

You are 100% right, they do have issues in the customer service area. Not very user-friendly at all.

I thought that was just my experience.

Terry, OS wise I recommend switching her to Linux just so that bog down doesn't happen again, if you know enough to set it up for her that is (sounds like it). Get her Ubuntu, everything is a lot like Windoze, but none of that extra background crap needed. The security is a lot better to so no need for a bunch of antiviral crap and such.

oh and MM, I hear you thinking...LOL...the answer is No it wasn't me who messed up her pc."

Terry, OS wise I recommend switching her to Linux just so that bog down doesn't happen again, if you know enough to set it up for her that is (sounds like it). Get her Ubuntu, everything is a lot like Windoze, but none of that extra background crap needed. The security is a lot better to so no need for a bunch of antiviral crap and such.
I'll try to talk to her about that. Thanks. I should move to that also but just too lazy to learn it.

I never got a response.

You are 100% right, they do have issues in the customer service area. Not very user-friendly at all.

Yeah, they suck, but I still order from them. :eusa_shhh:

Of course, I order from everybody.

BTW, I used to build all my boxes, but I stopped doing that a couple years ago because I could actually get a name brand cheaper. Go figure.

I never got a response.

BTW, I used to build all my boxes, but I stopped doing that a couple years ago because I could actually get a name brand cheaper. Go figure.
I still build my own, still able to do it alot cheaper and better. Helpful has been one of my area computer places.

I never got a response.

OH I know those days of building one cheaper are GONE!

I built my son's a few years ago...cost me 1,100.00 and not near as good as i could have bought one pre-made. Dumb me..learn...the computer industry caught on.

Forum List

Back