Discussion about "Racial Justice"

DGS49

Diamond Member
Apr 12, 2012
Pittsburgh
This two-word expression is all over the place these days, and I have to say that even though I am an attorney and over 70 years old and quite literate, I honestly don't know what it means.

To me, "justice" is the state of affairs when evil/crime is appropriately punished and when virtue is appropriately rewarded. It's not complicated.

I invite readers of this forum and posting to provide a good example of "Racial Injustice." Give me something that we, as a society can and should "fight."

And don't give me fifty lines of bullshit. Give me a single, concrete, verifiable example so I can be convinced to join in the fight.

But just to start the juices flowing, let me present my view on how INJUSTICE, and particularly racial injustice is handled NOW.

Let's say that a police officer has a history of complaints by Black arrestees about excessive use of force, and that same officer has never received a similar complaint from a white arrestee. Ultimately he does something that seriously injures or kills a Black person, under circumstances where it is clear that he over-reacted.

Here is what is supposed to happen. He is brought up on charges before some sort of police conduct review board. If they find, after looking at the evidence, that he has wrongly victimized this particular Black guy, he will face internal discipline, up to an including termination and of course loss of pension.

THEN, the local District Attorney will review the case, and if criminal conduct is provable, he will be indicted, tried, and convicted, and will probably go to jail. THEN the United States Justice Department will review the case to determine whether his actions were racially motivated, and he is looking at ANOTHER trial, possibly another conviction, and ADDITIONAL jail time.

THEN the victim or his family SUES the police officer and the city for which he worked for "wrongful death." If they make their case, they will get a multi-million dollar award against - actually - the insurance company or companies.

Other police officers, both locally and around the country keep track of this sort of thing, and there is a DETERRENT EFFECT. That is, other cops who would be inclined to treat Black suspects the same way will RECONSIDER how they act, and will modify their behavior.

That is how it is supposed to work. Those convictions and that jury award of damages will do more to MODIFY POLICE CONDUCT that a thousand riots in the streets of the city where the original offense occurred.

At least that's what I think. The fact that this doesn't happen all that often is a HINT (but not proof) that this sort of thing is not all that common.

But again, I'd like an example of SYSTEMIC RACIAL INJUSTICE that is verifiable and quantitative. I can only deal with facts, not feelings.

This two-word expression is all over the place these days, and I have to say that even though I am an attorney and over 70 years old and quite literate, I honestly don't know what it means.

To me, "justice" is the state of affairs when evil/crime is appropriately punished and when virtue is appropriately rewarded. It's not complicated.

I invite readers of this forum and posting to provide a good example of "Racial Injustice." Give me something that we, as a society can and should "fight."

And don't give me fifty lines of bullshit. Give me a single, concrete, verifiable example so I can be convinced to join in the fight.

But just to start the juices flowing, let me present my view on how INJUSTICE, and particularly racial injustice is handled NOW.

Let's say that a police officer has a history of complaints by Black arrestees about excessive use of force, and that same officer has never received a similar complaint from a white arrestee. Ultimately he does something that seriously injures or kills a Black person, under circumstances where it is clear that he over-reacted.

Here is what is supposed to happen. He is brought up on charges before some sort of police conduct review board. If they find, after looking at the evidence, that he has wrongly victimized this particular Black guy, he will face internal discipline, up to an including termination and of course loss of pension.

THEN, the local District Attorney will review the case, and if criminal conduct is provable, he will be indicted, tried, and convicted, and will probably go to jail. THEN the United States Justice Department will review the case to determine whether his actions were racially motivated, and he is looking at ANOTHER trial, possibly another conviction, and ADDITIONAL jail time.

THEN the victim or his family SUES the police officer and the city for which he worked for "wrongful death." If they make their case, they will get a multi-million dollar award against - actually - the insurance company or companies.

Other police officers, both locally and around the country keep track of this sort of thing, and there is a DETERRENT EFFECT. That is, other cops who would be inclined to treat Black suspects the same way will RECONSIDER how they act, and will modify their behavior.

That is how it is supposed to work. Those convictions and that jury award of damages will do more to MODIFY POLICE CONDUCT that a thousand riots in the streets of the city where the original offense occurred.

At least that's what I think. The fact that this doesn't happen all that often is a HINT (but not proof) that this sort of thing is not all that common.

But again, I'd like an example of SYSTEMIC RACIAL INJUSTICE that is verifiable and quantitative. I can only deal with facts, not feelings.
I don’t have your education but I can tell you what it means !!
It’s a super clever concept to sell to the masses of peons !!
White privilege and systematic racism??

All refer to the same concept . A clever wise way of saying ..” you fuckin hate white folks “
Which is a projection because you’re a loser who hates himself !!

If injustices actually do exist (they don't), the cure is to demand individual rights. When the Civil Rights Movement was around there was actual "racial injustices" and they defeated them not by demanding "racial justice", but rather by demanding justice.

The collectivist and tribal culture we live in today is really disgusting and the emphasis on race and group identity is nothing but a recipe for disaster.

Forum List

Back