Do Natural Rights Actually Exist?

Procrustes Stretched

This place is nothing without the membership.
Dec 1, 2008
Do Natural Rights Actually Exist? If they do not then it's all intellectual bs. If they do, what are they? Can and do people who believe natural rights actually exist, agree on them -- what they are and are not?

I often see things similar to this Wikipedia entry:
Natural rights are those that are not dependent on the laws or customs of any particular culture or government, and so are universal, fundamental and inalienable (they cannot be repealed by human laws, though one can forfeit their enjoyment through one's actions, such as by violating someone else's rights).

Do natural rights trump laws? If so...

Natural rights trump man made laws. Or they should. If not, you're living in tyranny.
Some examples would be right to life, right to preserve life, right to create life, right to property and right to liberty.

“no one ought to harm another in his life, health, liberty, or possessions. These natural rights also serve to limit the legitimate authority of the state.” - John Locke

Natural rights trump man made laws. Or they should. If not, you're living in tyranny.
Some examples would be right to life, right to preserve life, right to create life, right to property and right to liberty.

“no one ought to harm another in his life, health, liberty, or possessions. These natural rights also serve to limit the legitimate authority of the state.” - John Locke
Property? What does nature care about property?

I know people want the idea of natural rights to trump man-made laws, but what does nature say? Will nature punish if natural laws are ignored? Who gets to decide what are and are not natural rights?

I understand the philosophical arguments of Locke et al. Man says natural rights exist. So aren't they man-made concepts?

The US Constitution was the most progressive document in history. Too bad it means nothing now.
Progressive? Liberal?

How many people spouting like you pablum puking punks, have actually read any academic studies of what brought about the Constitutional Convention and what informed the debates?

Isn't it MAGA that shits of the USC?

Property? What does nature care about property?

I know people want the idea of natural rights to trump man-made laws, but what does nature say? Will nature punish if natural laws are ignored? Who gets to decide what are and are not natural rights?

I understand the philosophical arguments of Locke et al. Man says natural rights exist. So aren't they man-made concepts?
Its just a name for rights someone has simply for being human.

Progressive? Liberal?

How many people spouting like you pablum puking punks, have actually read any academic studies of what brought about the Constitutional Convention and what informed the debates?

Isn't it MAGA that shits of the USC?
Freedom is progressive. Not the regressive illiberal bullshit you are used to and support.
MAGA does shit on it. All leftists do.

Its just a name for rights someone has simply for being human.

What rights do humans actually have? I understand the societal concepts and arguments for rights, but simply being human? We have science. DNA. What makes a human? How are humans different than any other "animal?" We share what percentage of DNA?

I am not arguing against societal rights. We need them to function as a group, not as individuals.

Forum List

Back