Do Republicans Think Corporations should pay no taxes?

Should corporations pay taxes?

• Yes

Votes: 28 62.2%
  • No

Votes: 17 37.8%

• Total voters
If not, what tax on every dollar in profits is fair? And what do they pay now?

My belief is Republicans don't think corporations should pay any taxes. That's what their arguments suggest.

Well, I'm a registered Republican and I favor a sales tax instead of an income tax. I don't see taxing corporations as a good thing myself. Corporation create jobs. Were corporations not taxed and regulated so harshly, they might create more jobs from which personal income taxes could be gained. Corporation are also the source for many of the investments paying the retirement expenses of many of our elderly. A more friendly tax structure would tend to keep corporations from moving abroad and encourage their own reinvestment into capital equipment and expansion.

The way it should be......

. . .

-Base Federal tax for corporations at 30% of revenue.

. . .

My God, this is the single most idiotic thing I've ever read on this forum, and that is a tremendous accomplishment. You do realize the average US corporation's profit margin is only 7.9% of revenue (2.1% for Walmart), don't you?

Imposing your asinine tax plan would put almost every US corporation in the red annually, and out of business within 1-2 years. Bravo. Another brilliant product of the public school education system, I'm sure.

I've eliminated federal and State tax as well as the highest percent of costs which is employee costs. How is that a bad thing?

State and local taxes, are where most of our actually useful public services come from. I don't think you can eliminate state level taxes.

-Eliminate all business subsidies (deductions/write-offs/write-downs) except for employee expenses which are deducted dollar-for-dollar on all city, State, and Federal taxes and fees with the Feds refunding city, State, and fees.
You say you are a rich businessman but you don't realize that revenue and profits aren't the same thing

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

I think a reasonable and straight-forward tax is justified, requiring on-going adjustments to serve the economy. You'll never convince me Bezos should go scott-free. For all I care tax him 75% until the feds break-up the monopoly. Problem for DC is Bezos already has far too much power.

You'll never convince me Bezos should go scott-free.

Scott-free? From what?

For all I care tax him 75% until the feds break-up the monopoly.

Can't just tax somebody at 75% because you don't like them.
These idiots don't realize that Amazon could go bankrupt and they would not see one more penny in their pay

But they all think that corporations are somehow taking money from them

RepubliKans don't think, they emote.

With Trump in office twice as many companies now pay zero corporate taxes. Republicans cried about GE not paying any taxes and blamed Obama but now twice as many companies pay zero taxes.

So we will see Republicans never minded that GE paid zero taxes. They were showing us fake rage about it because Obama was president.

We're In A Golden Age Of White Collar Crime

With Trump in office twice as many companies now pay zero corporate taxes.

How much tax should a corporation with zero taxable income pay?
Zero

So what are you whining about?
How do you think these corporations are paying zero?
I’m in a position I don’t feel over taxed. No debt, no kids, no mortgage and I make 6 figures. I’m ok with a flat tax I just don’t think that would be good for the middle class.

I’m all about the middle class even though I’m upper middle class at the moment. I realize it could all be gone tomorrow.

it’s why I want public schools, healthcare for all, social security and Medicare, higher wages when profits are up, etc.

I won’t forget where I came from.

Higher wages when profits are up? Does that mean you support wage cuts when profits are down?

My belief is Republicans don't think corporations should pay any taxes. That's what their arguments suggest.

Actually, corporations pay lots of taxes, even when they don't pay any income taxes. Property taxes, excise taxes, FICA taxes, workmans comp and unemployment taxes. Were you aware that every employer is required to pay FICA taxes EVEN IF the company is losing money?
They often get sweet deals to get out of property taxes too.

Well, I'm a registered Republican and I favor a sales tax instead of an income tax. I don't see taxing corporations as a good thing myself. Corporation create jobs. Were corporations not taxed and regulated so harshly, they might create more jobs from which personal income taxes could be gained. Corporation are also the source for many of the investments paying the retirement expenses of many of our elderly. A more friendly tax structure would tend to keep corporations from moving abroad and encourage their own reinvestment into capital equipment and expansion.

The way it should be......

. . .

-Base Federal tax for corporations at 30% of revenue.

. . .

My God, this is the single most idiotic thing I've ever read on this forum, and that is a tremendous accomplishment. You do realize the average US corporation's profit margin is only 7.9% of revenue (2.1% for Walmart), don't you?

Imposing your asinine tax plan would put almost every US corporation in the red annually, and out of business within 1-2 years. Bravo. Another brilliant product of the public school education system, I'm sure.

I've eliminated federal and State tax as well as the highest percent of costs which is employee costs. How is that a bad thing?

State and local taxes, are where most of our actually useful public services come from. I don't think you can eliminate state level taxes.

-Eliminate all business subsidies (deductions/write-offs/write-downs) except for employee expenses which are deducted dollar-for-dollar on all city, State, and Federal taxes and fees with the Feds refunding city, State, and fees.

You say you are a rich businessman but you don't realize that revenue and profits aren't the same thing

That's because "revenue" is NOT same thing as "profits". Revenue is the amount of money coming in from sales before deducting for the cost of the merchandise, and the expenses involved in producing and selling it. "Profit" is the amount of revenue remaining after paying all business expenses.

This is why you shouldn't comment on the economy. You're clueless

That's because "revenue" is NOT same thing as "profits". Revenue is the amount of money coming in from sales before deducting for the cost of the merchandise, and the expenses involved in producing and selling it. "Profit" is the amount of revenue remaining after paying all business expenses.

Speaking of clueless, what do you think about OnePercenter's "plan"?

Wow that's funny when it was Brain who said to tax all revenue except for employee expenses

and I told him that revenue is not the same as profit

it seems you can't read very well and you have no clue how to follow a quote tree on the board

Speaking of clueless, what do you think about OnePercenter's "plan"?
She can't read very well give the senile old lady a break

Sales taxes unfairly tax the poor who use the least government services, in favour of corporations who use the most government services.

Corporations use more government resources and services than individuals and as such, they should pay fair taxes. They need an educated workforce, protections for their intellectual property and international trade. All of these things are expensive.

They also need communications systems, transportation systems, and a lot of infrastructure, all of which is expensive. EVERYONE should pay their fair share of the costs of running and living in a first world country.

Why should the workers, who reap the smallest benefits from these corporations, be taxed more to pay for their roads, utilties, courts and intellectual property protections. Those who need the services should pay the expenses to pay for them.

The system of incorporations, and corporate governance is an expensive process. As are intellectual property rights.
Great post. They'll argue that if you tax the corporation, they'll pass it on to their workers and consumers.

They do pay taxes. They pay sales tax when buying materials and supplies. They pay for their employees’ income tax. They pay taxes on profits.
Well look at the debt, our roads and infrastructure. If you think they pay too much then you have to pay more. Ok, I'll survive. I have no mortgage or kids going to school. I can afford it. And I'll be able to afford raising my retirement age and cutting my social security 20%. Will you? If corporations pay less you're gonna pay more no if ands or butts about it.

Sales taxes unfairly tax the poor who use the least government services, in favour of corporations who use the most government services.

Corporations use more government resources and services than individuals and as such, they should pay fair taxes. They need an educated workforce, protections for their intellectual property and international trade. All of these things are expensive.

They also need communications systems, transportation systems, and a lot of infrastructure, all of which is expensive. EVERYONE should pay their fair share of the costs of running and living in a first world country.

Why should the workers, who reap the smallest benefits from these corporations, be taxed more to pay for their roads, utilties, courts and intellectual property protections. Those who need the services should pay the expenses to pay for them.

The system of incorporations, and corporate governance is an expensive process. As are intellectual property rights.

Why should the workers, who reap the smallest benefits from these corporations,

Smallest? How much do corporations, on average, as a share of revenues, spend on salary and benefits?
How much, on average, is corporate profit, as a share of revenues?

The answer is NO.

Business 101.

The only money that the vast majority of Corporations have to pay taxes comes from the sale of that companies products and services.

A tax or especially an additional tax on ANY company must be passed down to that companies consumers, or the company will eventually fail (which hurts everyone.)

A tax on a company is a tax on YOU, me and everyone else who buys that company's products.

Hey, if you have to pay $100 instead of $89 because of taxes, I'm ok with that. Pass it on to consumers.

Oh, and if you like Trump's military spending then you must admit that we are policing the world so corporations can be safe selling their products around the globe. Corporations should pay for this.

Great post. They'll argue that if you tax the corporation, they'll pass it on to their workers and consumers.

American corporations have been awash with cash since W was President. That's the impetus to all of the mergers and acquisitions of the past decade. That and the depressed stock market prices after the 2008 crash.

The mere fact that stock buy-backs were at record levels in 2018 and 2019 shows how unnecessary the tax cuts really are. I'd be interested in knowing how much of the increased stock market value is being driven by those tax cut funded buy-backs. Of course it's always the smaller, non-institutional shareholders who are bought out, further concentrating the wealth at the top.

As for the taxes being passed on to workers and customers, well I notice that none of these companies dropped their prices when those taxes were cut, did they?

They didn't cut prices when they off-shored manufacturing either. They just pocketed the additional profits. If Americans stopped buying imported clothing, they'd be naked because they've off-shored the mills which manufacture fabric, and the manufacturing of the clothing. American facilities do exist but only on a small basis. Osh Kosh/Carters still manufactures in the USA. 99% of Levis - the all American blue jean, are now off-shored.

Do corporations really pay taxes, or is it people who pay the taxes in the form of higher prices so that desired corporate profit margins are realized? I have mixed feelings on the subject. They should but do they?
Yes. And they can pass it on to their consumers. I'm fine with that. I don't have to consume their shit. I don't think consumers would know if a blender costs $65 or $75. As long as the economy is working for everyone. That means the middle class too not just the corporations and 20% of the workers.

And I'm ok when Republicans change it so that corporations pay no taxes and we all pay more. Just remember this is one of the ways or reasons the gap between rich and middle class is getting wider. It's flat tax policies that Republicans pass. And then the cuts to social security and medicare to make up for their spending and lack of revenue. Wider Wider!!!

Of course they should be taxed, it should be just something fair. I'm for giving more of the smaller businesses and corporations more of a tax break so that they can grow. It also has to be kept in mind that many of our corporations are competing internationally, and in most cases those foreign corporations are paying much lower rates than ours

Do corporations really pay taxes, or is it people who pay the taxes in the form of higher prices so that desired corporate profit margins are realized? I have mixed feelings on the subject. They should but do they?
Yes. And they can pass it on to their consumers. I'm fine with that. I don't have to consume their shit. I don't think consumers would know if a blender costs $65 or $75. As long as the economy is working for everyone. That means the middle class too not just the corporations and 20% of the workers.

And I'm ok when Republicans change it so that corporations pay no taxes and we all pay more. Just remember this is one of the ways or reasons the gap between rich and middle class is getting wider. It's flat tax policies that Republicans pass. And then the cuts to social security and medicare to make up for their spending and lack of revenue. Wider Wider!!!

The transfer of wealth from the working and middle class to the corporations and the top 10% started when Reagan first cut taxes in the 1980's and continues unabated. Trump's tax cuts have accelerated the transfer of wealth.

I admantly oppose corporations paying no taxes because of the tremendous benefits they derive from the government. Do example, New York City was going to absorb $9 Billion dollars in infrastructure spending to allow Amazon to build its headquarters there. Additional subway lines, roadsways, and water, electricity and other infrastructure needed to house a facility employing 50,000 workers. Amazon says their average pay is $50,000 per year so at 15% withholding, that's $375 million per year. At that rate, it would take 24 years to recover that tax break. In the meantime, the City of New York would have raised real estate taxes and other taxes to the citizens of their city in order to pay for the roads, subways and other infrastructure the development would need. As the most profitable company in the world, Amazon can pay for their own damn infrastructure.

I would also like to add that online retailing is destroying bricks and morter retail. Stores and shopping malls are closing at record rates which has a terrible impact on local tax bases. Local businesses support Little League teams, and other community events through sponsorships. They provide jobs, and they pay both real estate and business taxes. When those stores close, the community loses those tax revenues, and private citizens have to make up the shortfall.

This notion that businesses shouldn't pay taxes because they create jobs, is a fallacy being promoted by those who fail to understand the impact that their gift to corporations entails. This is especially true because businesses require and use far more infrastructure and government services than any individuals.

I think a reasonable and straight-forward tax is justified, requiring on-going adjustments to serve the economy. You'll never convince me Bezos should go scott-free. For all I care tax him 75% until the feds break-up the monopoly. Problem for DC is Bezos already has far too much power.

Scott-free? From what?

These idiots don't realize that Amazon could go bankrupt and they would not see one more penny in their pay

BS.................Amazon is responsible for MANY MANY closures, and all that money is going to one place. Where's the competition? Word is they treat their employees like shit. The risk is borderline communism, because everyone ends up working for the same fucking employer. They also exploit business still in operation, such as Fed. Express. Keep this up they'll control all goods and services.

Of course they should. Including Donald Trump and his bogus company.

ENOUGH of BS loopholes and vast armies of attorneys and tax pros.

PS : The avatar rules :D

trump-orange-face-fence.jpg

Scott-free? From what?

BS.................Amazon is responsible for MANY MANY closures, and all that money is going to one place. Where's the competition? Word is they treat their employees like shit. The risk is borderline communism, because everyone ends up working for the same fucking employer. They also exploit business still in operation, such as Fed. Express. Keep this up they'll control all goods and services.

If Jeff Bezos went broke tomorrow you wouldn't see your income go up would you?

One of the mainstays of this ridiculous argument about what CEOs make is that if they were paid less then everyone else would be paid more or if they were taxed more you'd be taxed less

It's flat out untrue

And FYI for every business that closed because they couldn't keep up with the times there are hundreds more people making money through Amazon's FBO business model

American corporations have been awash with cash since W was President. That's the impetus to all of the mergers and acquisitions of the past decade. That and the depressed stock market prices after the 2008 crash.

The mere fact that stock buy-backs were at record levels in 2018 and 2019 shows how unnecessary the tax cuts really are. I'd be interested in knowing how much of the increased stock market value is being driven by those tax cut funded buy-backs. Of course it's always the smaller, non-institutional shareholders who are bought out, further concentrating the wealth at the top.

As for the taxes being passed on to workers and customers, well I notice that none of these companies dropped their prices when those taxes were cut, did they?

They didn't cut prices when they off-shored manufacturing either. They just pocketed the additional profits. If Americans stopped buying imported clothing, they'd be naked because they've off-shored the mills which manufacture fabric, and the manufacturing of the clothing. American facilities do exist but only on a small basis. Osh Kosh/Carters still manufactures in the USA. 99% of Levis - the all American blue jean, are now off-shored.

Why should they drop their prices if people keep paying them?

If you want some corporation to lower prices then get 100 million people to stop using their products or services

Forum List

Back