Do Republicans Think Corporations should pay no taxes?

Should corporations pay taxes?

• Yes

Votes: 28 62.2%
  • No

Votes: 17 37.8%

• Total voters
If not, what tax on every dollar in profits is fair? And what do they pay now?

My belief is Republicans don't think corporations should pay any taxes. That's what their arguments suggest.

Well, I'm a registered Republican and I favor a sales tax instead of an income tax. I don't see taxing corporations as a good thing myself. Corporation create jobs. Were corporations not taxed and regulated so harshly, they might create more jobs from which personal income taxes could be gained. Corporation are also the source for many of the investments paying the retirement expenses of many of our elderly. A more friendly tax structure would tend to keep corporations from moving abroad and encourage their own reinvestment into capital equipment and expansion.

A sales tax is detrimental to consumption. That's not helpful to corporations.

So people don't buy stuff?

Not when the cost is too high because of taxes, no. Look at Greece.

Honestly, it's amazing you would even ask that. Your question implies that cost doesn't affect purchasing. Really? So if you levied a $50 tax on each gallon of milk... would you be on here saying "So people don't buy stuff?"?

Taxes kill the market. Always have.

When has sales taxes deferred the idea of someone buying something in the UNITED STATES OF AMERICA?

This is a dumb question sir.

I have $10, and Wendy's is selling chicken sandwich for $5. I want to buy one for me, and one for my wife.

Can I buy two of them without sales tax?
Can I buy two of them with sales tax?

Forest Gump could figure that out.

You want a real life example? The 1990s Yacht tax, that damaged the entire yacht building industry in the US.

Of course sales tax defers purchases. Are you a believer in free-energy or something? Basic math makes it obvious that yes of course you can't buy as much stuff with taxes, as you can without taxes.

You keep saying you are a business owner, but I have never once heard you say anything that indicated any real world experience in running a business. You must be the son of someone who ran a business, and you just inherited it, and thus have no clue what you are talking about.

My belief is Republicans don't think corporations should pay any taxes. That's what their arguments suggest.

Well, I'm a registered Republican and I favor a sales tax instead of an income tax. I don't see taxing corporations as a good thing myself. Corporation create jobs. Were corporations not taxed and regulated so harshly, they might create more jobs from which personal income taxes could be gained. Corporation are also the source for many of the investments paying the retirement expenses of many of our elderly. A more friendly tax structure would tend to keep corporations from moving abroad and encourage their own reinvestment into capital equipment and expansion.

The way it should be......

. . .

-Base Federal tax for corporations at 30% of revenue.

. . .

My God, this is the single most idiotic thing I've ever read on this forum, and that is a tremendous accomplishment. You do realize the average US corporation's profit margin is only 7.9% of revenue (2.1% for Walmart), don't you?

Imposing your asinine tax plan would put almost every US corporation in the red annually, and out of business within 1-2 years. Bravo. Another brilliant product of the public school education system, I'm sure.

I've eliminated federal and State tax as well as the highest percent of costs which is employee costs. How is that a bad thing?

State and local taxes, are where most of our actually useful public services come from. I don't think you can eliminate state level taxes.

Do corporations really pay taxes, or is it people who pay the taxes in the form of higher prices so that desired corporate profit margins are realized? I have mixed feelings on the subject. They should but do they?

Honestly, it's amazing you would even ask that. Your question implies that cost doesn't affect purchasing. Really? So if you levied a $50 tax on each gallon of milk... would you be on here saying "So people don't buy stuff?"?

When has sales taxes deferred the idea of someone buying something in the UNITED STATES OF AMERICA?

I have $10, and Wendy's is selling chicken sandwich for $5. I want to buy one for me, and one for my wife.

You want a real life example? The 1990s Yacht tax, that damaged the entire yacht building industry in the US.

Of course sales tax defers purchases. Are you a believer in free-energy or something? Basic math makes it obvious that yes of course you can't buy as much stuff with taxes, as you can without taxes.

You keep saying you are a business owner, but I have never once heard you say anything that indicated any real world experience in running a business. You must be the son of someone who ran a business, and you just inherited it, and thus have no clue what you are talking about.

That would depend if the State you are buying said chicken sandwich in taxes prepared food.

The 1990s Yacht tax, that damaged the entire yacht building industry in the US.

Not really. All you needed to do was buy the said yacht off-shore.

. . .

. . .

My God, this is the single most idiotic thing I've ever read on this forum, and that is a tremendous accomplishment. You do realize the average US corporation's profit margin is only 7.9% of revenue (2.1% for Walmart), don't you?

Imposing your asinine tax plan would put almost every US corporation in the red annually, and out of business within 1-2 years. Bravo. Another brilliant product of the public school education system, I'm sure.

I've eliminated federal and State tax as well as the highest percent of costs which is employee costs. How is that a bad thing?

Thank you for answering. And now I feel bad for being so abrasive, so please forgive me. To respond to your above post, the federal government can't "eliminate state tax." The 10th Amendment gives states the right to govern their own health and public welfare. State and local sales tax is the primary source of state and municipal income (especially in states without state income tax) for things like road maintenance, schools, fire departments, local law enforcement, etc. It would be impossible to "eliminate" these taxes unless you are proposing a centralized takeover of these state and local functions by the federal government. That, in itself, would be in violation of the Constitution's original Bill of Rights, as the 10th Amendment was written as a rule of construction to frame the intention of the entire Constitution, and was indeed required in order for the states to ratify the Constitution.

Last edited:

. . .

. . .

State and local taxes, are where most of our actually useful public services come from. I don't think you can eliminate state level taxes.

-Eliminate all business subsidies (deductions/write-offs/write-downs) except for employee expenses which are deducted dollar-for-dollar on all city, State, and Federal taxes and fees with the Feds refunding city, State, and fees.

-Jail all employers that knowingly hire illegal aliens.

-End all Republican worker visa programs.

-Raise minimum wage to $23.50/hr. Based on where minimum wage should be using 1970-2020 rise in food, shelter, and transportation.

-Eliminate all business subsidies (deductions/write-offs/write-downs) except for employee expenses which are deducted dollar-for-dollar on all city, state, and Federal taxes and fees with the Feds refunding city, State, and fees.

-Companies with unlimited employees; employee expenses above the deduction are subsidized at 100% with funds usually give back to the States.

-Adjust Social Security and private/public retirement and pension payments using 1970-2020 price structure.

-Remove the FICA limit.

-Back down ALL costs, prices, fees, to January 1, 2009 levels and hold them for 15 years which will eliminate inflation.

-Recall ALL off-shore investments tax free, and disallow any further off-shore investments.

-Make inversion illegal.

My plan would reduce business costs for employees and taxes to 30%. That's a 15%-30% drop.

My plan would put BILLIONS into the economy daily.

My plan would put the $100 trillion plus currently owned by corporate America back into the economy.

My plan would end all welfare.

My plan would significantly increase social security and pension payments.

-Eliminate all business subsidies (deductions/write-offs/write-downs) except for employee expenses which are deducted dollar-for-dollar on all city, state, and Federal taxes and fees with the Feds refunding city, State, and fees.

-Companies with unlimited employees; employee expenses above the deduction are subsidized at 100% with funds usually give back to the States.

Combining these "ideas" would result in many (most?) corporations having a negative net tax rate.

Yes.

Your solution to corporations not paying enough taxes is to give them trillions in refundable tax credits? Wow!

Tax credits for doing what?

Companies with unlimited employees; employee expenses above the deduction are subsidized at 100% with funds usually give back to the States.

. . .

. . .

-Eliminate all business subsidies (deductions/write-offs/write-downs) except for employee expenses which are deducted dollar-for-dollar on all city, State, and Federal taxes and fees with the Feds refunding city, State, and fees.

I'll give you this -- you are at least proposing ideas and trying to use fluid concepts by making changes when confronted with problems. One major problem with the whole corporate income tax discussion remains that most corporations do not retain profits, but instead pay them out in the form of salary. I'm not even referring to publicly traded corporations, as many US corporations are small businesses organized as Sub-Chapter S Corps, for purposes of limiting liability. If the federal government were to tax corporate profits (or revenues), and then again tax that money with personal income tax after it was paid in salary, that would be double taxation in every sense of the word.

Last edited:

. . .

. . .

[The “Big Oil”] industry (Integrated Oil/Gas) had a below-average profit margin of 5.6% in the most recent period analyzed, and separately, the Production and Exploration Oil/Gas industry is losing money, reflected in a -6.6% profit margin. For the general retail sector, the average profit margin is only 2.3% and for the grocery and food retail industry, it’s even lower at only 1.6%. And evil Walmart only made a 2.1% profit margin in 2017 (first three quarters) which is less than the industry average for general retail, possibly because grocery sales now make up more than half of Walmart’s revenue and profit margins are lower on food than general retail. Interestingly, Walmart’s profit margin of 2.1% is actually less than one-third of the 6.5% the average state/local government takes of each dollar of Walmart’s retail sales for sales taxes. Think about it – for every $100 in sales for Walmart, the state/local governments get an average of $6.50 in sales taxes (and as much as $10.12 in Louisiana and $9.45 in Tennessee, see data here), while Walmart gets only $2.10 in after-tax profits!

Imposing your asinine tax plan would put almost every US corporation in the red annually, and out of business within 1-2 years. Your plan would have Walmart, as an example, sending $30 of every $100 in revenue to the IRS, resulting in an after-tax loss of $27.90 for every $100 in revenue (a -27.9% profit margin). It would also end our energy independence, making us slaves to middle east oil once again.

Bravo. Another brilliant product of the public school education system, I'm sure.

My God, this is the single most idiotic thing I've ever read on this forum, and that is a tremendous accomplishment.

Just wait, the rest of his "plans" are even dumber, impossible to implement and unconstitutional.
On the "plus" side, corporations would get trillions back from the Federal government. It's
possible he'd double the budget.

Do corporations really pay taxes, or is it people who pay the taxes in the form of higher prices so that desired corporate profit margins are realized? I have mixed feelings on the subject. They should but do they?
91 companies in the fortune 500 paid zero federal tax.
Do you think the prices they charged were lower because of that?

AGAIN.....because of Trump's economic policies and tax breaks, the United States just collected more tax revenue than at any other time in the history of this country.

Despite that massive amount of ADDITIONAL tax revenue the Democrats - who control the budget...spending....the debt....could not find the time to create and pass a Budget, could not balance our budget, and could not manage to use any of that money to pay down the debt.

Stop blaming the Corporations, stop the class warfare, stop the BS! It was the politicians who control all of that tax revenue, who are responsible for producing / passing a budget, who were too busy working on successfully accomplishing their 4-year-in-the-making coup attempt who keep the pedal to the metal on spending, point fingers, and work their assess off for their OWN PERSONAL gain / power.

Except that Trump has spent $1 trillion per year more than he's taking in, and all of the benefits of these tax cuts are going to the top 10%. Billionaires now pay less of their income in taxes than their employees. This is wrong.

Amazon is the most profitable company in the world, using up tremendous resources, and they're paying no taxes. This way lies madness.

and all of the benefits of these tax cuts are going to the top 10%.

You're lying.

Billionaires now pay less of their income in taxes than their employees.

More lying.

Amazon is the most profitable company in the world

Not even close.

using up tremendous resources,

Are they buying the resources they use? Then mind your own damn business, moron.

and they're paying no taxes.

Wrong.

upload_2020-2-11_16-23-1.png

Amazon.com, Inc. (AMZN) Income Statement - Yahoo Finance

-Jail all employers that knowingly hire illegal aliens.

-End all Republican worker visa programs.

-Raise minimum wage to $23.50/hr. Based on where minimum wage should be using 1970-2020 rise in food, shelter, and transportation.

-Adjust Social Security and private/public retirement and pension payments using 1970-2020 price structure.

-Remove the FICA limit.

-Back down ALL costs, prices, fees, to January 1, 2009 levels and hold them for 15 years which will eliminate inflation.

-Recall ALL off-shore investments tax free, and disallow any further off-shore investments.

-Make inversion illegal.

My plan would reduce business costs for employees and taxes to 30%. That's a 15%-30% drop.

My plan would put BILLIONS into the economy daily.

My plan would put the $100 trillion plus currently owned by corporate America back into the economy.

My plan would end all welfare.

My plan would significantly increase social security and pension payments.

Combining these "ideas" would result in many (most?) corporations having a negative net tax rate.

Yes.

Your solution to corporations not paying enough taxes is to give them trillions in refundable tax credits? Wow!

Companies with unlimited employees; employee expenses above the deduction are subsidized at 100% with funds usually give back to the States.

Employing American Workers.

Of course they should pay taxes. They use more tax dollars than people.

That would depend if the State you are buying said chicken sandwich in taxes prepared food.

They bought offshore, you twit, from foreign builders,
that's how the luxury tax damaged the domestic industry.

91 companies in the fortune 500 paid zero federal tax.
Do you think the prices they charged were lower because of that?

The ones that paid zero have zero taxable earnings.

Yes.

Employing American Workers.

Yup. You'd pay corporations trillions for employing American Workers.
They'd get huge net credits.

. . .

. . .

[The “Big Oil”] industry (Integrated Oil/Gas) had a below-average profit margin of 5.6% in the most recent period analyzed, and separately, the Production and Exploration Oil/Gas industry is losing money, reflected in a -6.6% profit margin. For the general retail sector, the average profit margin is only 2.3% and for the grocery and food retail industry, it’s even lower at only 1.6%. And evil Walmart only made a 2.1% profit margin in 2017 (first three quarters) which is less than the industry average for general retail, possibly because grocery sales now make up more than half of Walmart’s revenue and profit margins are lower on food than general retail. Interestingly, Walmart’s profit margin of 2.1% is actually less than one-third of the 6.5% the average state/local government takes of each dollar of Walmart’s retail sales for sales taxes. Think about it – for every $100 in sales for Walmart, the state/local governments get an average of $6.50 in sales taxes (and as much as $10.12 in Louisiana and $9.45 in Tennessee, see data here), while Walmart gets only $2.10 in after-tax profits!

Imposing your asinine tax plan would put almost every US corporation in the red annually, and out of business within 1-2 years. Your plan would have Walmart, as an example, sending $30 of every $100 in revenue to the IRS, resulting in an after-tax loss of $27.90 for every $100 in revenue (a -27.9% profit margin). It would also end our energy independence, making us slaves to middle east oil once again.

Bravo. Another brilliant product of the public school education system, I'm sure.

My God, this is the single most idiotic thing I've ever read on this forum, and that is a tremendous accomplishment.

Just wait, the rest of his "plans" are even dumber, impossible to implement and unconstitutional.
On the "plus" side, corporations would get trillions back from the Federal government. It's

I'm a corporate racketeer, would you expect less?

Bad daddy bush!

. . .

. . .

I'm a corporate racketeer, would you expect less?

You're a liar.

Bad daddy bush!

Yup.

Forum List

Back