Do Republicans Think Corporations should pay no taxes?

Should corporations pay taxes?

• Yes

Votes: 28 62.2%
  • No

Votes: 17 37.8%

• Total voters
The competitive market sets the price and they’ll choose a price that maximizes revenue. It has nothing to do with taxes.
Wrong.

Taxes raise prices. Taxes reduce revenue.

Corporate taxes make American products less competitive.

Tarrifs make foreign products less competitive.

How do they make American products less competitive?

No...I don't believe they should pay no taxes.

There should be a flat tax....10% of income.....that's it...private or corporate with a 40-50 thousand dollar exemption for each individual before that 10% starts..............that way, people who don't make a lot don't pay a lot....and everyone pays the same rate.........
No one likes the flat tax idea but I bet in the next 20 years Republicans will implement it. Why do I think that? Because ever bat shit crazy thing I've heard on USMB, Republican politicians are now pushing those nut job ideas.

Or course all the experts say a flat tax will benefit the rich the most so here is yet another idea your side is pushing that further widens the gap between them and us.

https://www.usnews.com/debate-club/is-a-flat-tax-a-good-idea/flat-tax-will-benefit-only-the-rich

CONSERVATIVE politicians support tax increases. Not for their wealthy donors, but for the poor and middle-class Americans who would pay more under the so-called "flat tax" proposals that were touted by Dick Army and Steve Forbes in the 1990s and are gaining currency again.
America has a progressive personal income tax, meaning it applies higher tax rates to the well-off and lower tax rates to the less well-off. Any proposal to adopt a single tax rate somewhere in between the existing highest and lowest rates would result in tax cuts for the rich and tax increases for the poor.
The beauty of the flat tax is that low income voters cannot soak the rich without soaking themselves too

And the idea that everyone gets a 40-50 thousand dollar exemption...free money, no taxes till 40,001...........that is better than welfare...

I would tax every dollar

but if there is an exemption instead of government welfare payments it would be ok with me

because bernie voters get welfare without lifting a finger

but the only way the private sector is going to give away money is if the person works for it

The whole goal of the private sector is to NOT work for your income.
An example is stock market investments.
No one works for even a second for that income, especially if they rely in insider manipulations.
Stock brokers are a small part of the private sector

and they would argue that they work hard for their income

whether that's true or not depends on the individual

The reason you have to allow a large flat tax deduction for each individual is the same reason you only tax profits for a business.
The cost of doing business has to be taken off first, before you figure what is profit.
And for individuals, rent, food, fuel, etc., ARE part of the cost of doing business, so should not be taxed.

But then everything AFTER the personal exemptions, should be taxed at 30%, not 10%.
Since poor people will not have any income to tax beyond the exemption, and middle class will have very little, then it is still progressive and fair.
But with a flat tax, the tax rate has to be the maximum you want the wealthy to pay now.
It is the exemption that is the best way to reduce the amount the poor pay, not a change in rate.
I want everyone including the poor to pay the same tax rate with no deductions for anything

otherwise, as you point out, the poor will keep voting for higher taxes they do not have to pay

and that rate would not be 30% but something much lower

How do they make American products less competitive?
The corporate tax is built into the cost of the product before it goes to distribution.

The Chinese product on the boat doesn't have corporate tax built into its cost.

Corporate CEOs don't write checks out of their personal accounts to pay Corporate Taxes, they get the money from the consumer by raising the price of the product.

If not, what tax on every dollar in profits is fair? And what do they pay now?

My belief is Republicans don't think corporations should pay any taxes. That's what their arguments suggest.

I do not identify as a republican. Republicans are politicians. Their goal is to get elected.

I am however, conservative.

My view is, corporations should pay no taxes. Because whatever they do with the money, will be far more productive, and result in taxes anyway.

For example, if they use the money to invest in a new building... that new building will require workers, that pay income tax.

So if I have to choose between a company paying a billion dollars in taxes, or a billion dollars in an investment that creates hundreds of jobs, and ends up created tons of new tax revenue from excise, payroll, and property taxes....

I'll chose the investment over the corporate tax, because the investment will create new tax revenue streams in the long right, and also produce goods and services that make the country more wealthy.

And it does not matter really what a company does with the dollar, it must be something beneficial. Unless you think companies are burning money in the backyard, or if you believe they will only invest overseas.

The irony of the over-seas claim, is that the primary motivation for investing over seas, is specifically because of taxes.

Regardless, whatever a company does with money, it will be more beneficial, than giving it to government.

This is where most left-wing people fall on their faces. Whatever dollar I give to you the government, is one dollar less than I can: Give to employees in raises, Use to hire new employees, use to create a new product, use to expand existing business.

It doesn't really matter what I do with that dollar, it will end up being a benefit to the entire economy. But if I give it to the government, where it is spent, consumed, and gone forever.... no benefit is created. No new jobs. No higher wages. No new products or services. No investment in the country.

My belief is Republicans don't think corporations should pay any taxes. That's what their arguments suggest.

Well, I'm a registered Republican and I favor a sales tax instead of an income tax. I don't see taxing corporations as a good thing myself. Corporation create jobs. Were corporations not taxed and regulated so harshly, they might create more jobs from which personal income taxes could be gained. Corporation are also the source for many of the investments paying the retirement expenses of many of our elderly. A more friendly tax structure would tend to keep corporations from moving abroad and encourage their own reinvestment into capital equipment and expansion.

The way it should be......

-Jail all employers that knowingly hire illegal aliens.

-End all Republican worker visa programs.

-Base Federal tax for corporations at 30% of revenue.

-Raise minimum wage to $23.50/hr. Based on where minimum wage should be using 1970-2020 rise in food, shelter, and transportation.

-Eliminate all business subsidies (deductions/write-offs/write-downs) except for employee expenses which are deducted dollar-for-dollar on all city, state, and Federal taxes and fees with the Feds refunding city, State, and fees.

-Companies with unlimited employees; employee expenses above the deduction are subsidized at 100% with funds usually give back to the States.

-Adjust Social Security and private/public retirement and pension payments using 1970-2020 price structure.

-Remove the FICA limit.

-Back down ALL costs, prices, fees, to January 1, 2009 levels and hold them for 15 years which will eliminate inflation.

-Recall ALL off-shore investments tax free, and disallow any further off-shore investments.

-Make inversion illegal.

My plan would reduce business costs for employees and taxes to 30%. That's a 15%-30% drop.

My plan would put BILLIONS into the economy daily.

My plan would put the $100 trillion plus currently owned by corporate America back into the economy.

My plan would end all welfare.

My plan would significantly increase social security and pension payments.

Well, I'm a registered Republican and I favor a sales tax instead of an income tax. I don't see taxing corporations as a good thing myself. Corporation create jobs. Were corporations not taxed and regulated so harshly, they might create more jobs from which personal income taxes could be gained. Corporation are also the source for many of the investments paying the retirement expenses of many of our elderly. A more friendly tax structure would tend to keep corporations from moving abroad and encourage their own reinvestment into capital equipment and expansion.
In today's world where automation has replaced an incredible amount of labor your trickle down ideas are antiquated. What happens when a company uses their tax breaks to replace people with robots? It's a permanent tax loss for the government. The future looks bleak in this regard as automation stands to decimate the service sector as well.

Does taxing the corporation somehow stop the progress of automation?

Technology "hitting the wall" has stopped automation. The last advancement of technology was the smart phone, everything else was an improvement of existing technology. Artificial intelligence has to be achieved before we can advance any further.

The USSC & IRS considers a corporation a person. A less friendly approach might be to place a very high tariff on any product made in nation XYZ, once made in the US. That would open the door for new entrepreneurs to build start up companies with US Labor here at home. Said money collected by the tariff to be distributed to the retirees harmed by said company. Also, the assets left by said company should be taken and sold by under an act of Congress and revenue from the sale of real property, furniture and equipment given to those whose jobs were shipped to XYZ.

Well, you'd probably only be able to seize the assets of the company office(s) and distribution within the United States since you stated the products were manufactured elsewhere. I am all for placing tariffs on foreign products if doing so will give American based corporations at minimum a level playing field.

Tariffs only serve to increase prices to consumers. Period.

A sales tax is detrimental to consumption. That's not helpful to corporations.

So people don't buy stuff?

There is really no such thing as a corporate tax.

Every cent of the filthy ass trillion a year that is collected under the name of a corporate tax is generated by the sale of goods or services.

It is the consumer of those goods and services that indirectly pay the tax.

Lets cut spending a trillion a year and stop the tax and not only will it generate economic growth but it will have a downward effect on the price of goods and services.

-Raise minimum wage to $23.50/hr. Based on where minimum wage should be using 1970-2020 rise in food, shelter, and transportation.

-Eliminate all business subsidies (deductions/write-offs/write-downs) except for employee expenses which are deducted dollar-for-dollar on all city, state, and Federal taxes and fees with the Feds refunding city, State, and fees.

-Companies with unlimited employees; employee expenses above the deduction are subsidized at 100% with funds usually give back to the States.

-Adjust Social Security and private/public retirement and pension payments using 1970-2020 price structure.

-Remove the FICA limit.

-Back down ALL costs, prices, fees, to January 1, 2009 levels and hold them for 15 years which will eliminate inflation.

-Recall ALL off-shore investments tax free, and disallow any further off-shore investments.

-Make inversion illegal.

My plan would reduce business costs for employees and taxes to 30%. That's a 15%-30% drop.

My plan would put the $100 trillion plus currently owned by corporate America back into the economy.

That's a Depression recipe.

You assume people running businesses are stupid enough to flush their money down the toilet.

Employers don't create businesses in order to go bankrupt.

Strange. Conservatives, and some Republicans, think that taxes on corporations are ALWAYS passed on to the consumer. Progressives think that costs are passed to the consumer ONLY if they are Tariffs.

So, I look around at all the tax returns by corporations and they always seem to total in the millions paid out. You know, like those below the poverty line. We are told that they pay taxes, but always seem to get back about 15 times what they would have paid.

Me, I believe that until we do away with loopholes for both people and corporations, and charge the same rate for everyone, no one is really paying taxes.

Are they?

Its the correct argument.

100% of corporate taxes are passed down to the consumer.

It's like a tarrif that makes American businesses hire fewer people and makes foreign companies richer.
Got to pay your taxes. You say they pass it on to consumers but we the people don’t care. Pay your taxes. You use our roads and people who’ve been educated in public schools. You use the courts more than we do. Pay your taxes corporate America

RepubliKans don't think, they emote.

With Trump in office twice as many companies now pay zero corporate taxes. Republicans cried about GE not paying any taxes and blamed Obama but now twice as many companies pay zero taxes.

So we will see Republicans never minded that GE paid zero taxes. They were showing us fake rage about it because Obama was president.

We're In A Golden Age Of White Collar Crime

With Trump in office twice as many companies now pay zero corporate taxes.

How much tax should a corporation with zero taxable income pay?

The competitive market sets the price and they’ll choose a price that maximizes revenue. It has nothing to do with taxes.
Wrong.

Taxes raise prices. Taxes reduce revenue.

Corporate taxes make American products less competitive.

Tarrifs make foreign products less competitive.
All I’m saying is the corporations and rich have been getting tax breaks since the Reagan years. They’ve never been richer.

and the tax burden has been shifted more on to us. And we’re stuck in the 70s as far as middle class wages. Factor inflation were no bette4 off but the rich keep getting richer. Middle class disappearing and you don’t see it?.

The corporations charge us as much as they think they can get away with. Tax breaks haven’t lowered prices in fact trumps tax breaks made prices go up. Everyone has more money? Then raise prices. Right?

With Trump in office twice as many companies now pay zero corporate taxes. Republicans cried about GE not paying any taxes and blamed Obama but now twice as many companies pay zero taxes.

So we will see Republicans never minded that GE paid zero taxes. They were showing us fake rage about it because Obama was president.

Zero

-Remove the FICA limit.

-Make inversion illegal.

Combining these "ideas" would result in many (most?) corporations having a negative net tax rate.

Zero

So what are you whining about?
How do you think these corporations are paying zero?

I’m far from a Republican but I don’t think corporations should pay taxes. They just find ways to get out of paying taxes anyway. Just get rid of them.

But, make capital gains and dividends regular income. Don’t tax the corporation. Tax the people getting money out of the corporation.

Well Comrade, you actually make some sense for once. Taxing corporations is immoral to begin with. A corporation is simply the shareholders. Taxing a dollar at the corporate level IS taxing the shareholder. When you tax corporate profits, then turn around and tax capital gains, you are taxing the same dollar of income twice, double taxation. This is WHY capital gains taxes are 15%, it recognizes that the money has ALREADY been taxed. Then we have the looters, the well connected corporations who buy politicians, companies like Apple and Google. These corporations then create fake losses that allow them to avoid taxation .

End corporate taxation, treat capital gains like any other income, and cut the corruption.

Well done.

Zero

So what are you whining about?
How do you think these corporations are paying zero?
I’m in a position I don’t feel over taxed. No debt, no kids, no mortgage and I make 6 figures. I’m ok with a flat tax I just don’t think that would be good for the middle class.

I’m all about the middle class even though I’m upper middle class at the moment. I realize it could all be gone tomorrow.

it’s why I want public schools, healthcare for all, social security and Medicare, higher wages when profits are up, etc.

I won’t forget where I came from.

Forum List

Back