Do Republicans Think Corporations should pay no taxes?

Should corporations pay taxes?

• Yes

Votes: 28 62.2%
  • No

Votes: 17 37.8%

• Total voters
I’m far from a Republican but I don’t think corporations should pay taxes. They just find ways to get out of paying taxes anyway. Just get rid of them.

But, make capital gains and dividends regular income. Don’t tax the corporation. Tax the people getting money out of the corporation.
Corporations just pass the tax along to the consumers of their products

taxing the people through corporations is not as obvious to the voters

I don’t think so. Prices are set by what the market will bear, not by what the cost of the business.
If all the corporations making widgets are all taxed the same rate then they can and will pass that along as a cost of doing business
Then why don’t prices go down when taxes are cut?

The answer is that prices are set to maximize revenue, not recuperate taxes.
Who says they dont?

Inflation is not great but it is constant due to many different causes

I’m far from a Republican but I don’t think corporations should pay taxes. They just find ways to get out of paying taxes anyway. Just get rid of them.

But, make capital gains and dividends regular income. Don’t tax the corporation. Tax the people getting money out of the corporation.

I don’t think so. Prices are set by what the market will bear, not by what the cost of the business.
If all the corporations making widgets are all taxed the same rate then they can and will pass that along as a cost of doing business

Who says they dont?

Inflation is positive growth, meaning prices have not gone down.

If consumers pay the corporate taxes, then costs would have gone down (inflation would have stopped and reversed). They didn’t because that’s not how prices are set.

Who says they dont?

If consumers pay the corporate taxes, then costs would have gone down (inflation would have stopped and reversed). They didn’t because that’s not how prices are set.
Inflation is not only caused by taxes

unless the corporations are colluding then the competitive market sets prices

Who says they dont?

The competitive market sets the price and they’ll choose a price that maximizes revenue. It has nothing to do with taxes.

If not, what tax on every dollar in profits is fair? And what do they pay now?

My belief is Republicans don't think corporations should pay any taxes. That's what their arguments suggest.
Let's say you bake cookies and sell them for $1 a dozen. They cost you .50 to make. The government comes along and decides they want a piece of your action and tax you .25. Do you act like a "good" citizen and accept that you'll only make .25 per dozen instead of .50 or do you raise the price of your cookies to $1.25 to retain your profit margin. Keep jacking the taxes up to make sure corporations are "paying their fair share" and corporations will keep increasing the price of their goods to their consumers. Keep raising those taxes and eventually you decide it isn't in your best interests to bake cookies anymore and you either get out of the business or you move somewhere that doesn't penalize you for providing goods and services that people want. On top of it, all the people who loved your cookies have to go find an alternative source for their cookie fix. This isn't rocket science. our existence with corporations is a symbiotic relationship. There are things we need and want and they provide them in jobs and goods and services. That's easy enough to maintain until the government starts shaking them down for their cut. They will simply pass it onto their consumer and its a wash for them.

Who says they dont?

The competitive market sets the price and they’ll choose a price that maximizes revenue. It has nothing to do with taxes.
I think a tax increase probably would raise prices in most cases

Who says they dont?

But then fewer people would buy the product and revenue would go down.

Who says they dont?

It could

some prices are elastic and some are less so

were the government to raise the gasoline tax drivers might drive less

but tax baby formula and parents would just have to pay

My belief is Republicans don't think corporations should pay any taxes. That's what their arguments suggest.

No...I don't believe they should pay no taxes.

There should be a flat tax....10% of income.....that's it...private or corporate with a 40-50 thousand dollar exemption for each individual before that 10% starts..............that way, people who don't make a lot don't pay a lot....and everyone pays the same rate.........
No one likes the flat tax idea but I bet in the next 20 years Republicans will implement it. Why do I think that? Because ever bat shit crazy thing I've heard on USMB, Republican politicians are now pushing those nut job ideas.

Or course all the experts say a flat tax will benefit the rich the most so here is yet another idea your side is pushing that further widens the gap between them and us.

https://www.usnews.com/debate-club/is-a-flat-tax-a-good-idea/flat-tax-will-benefit-only-the-rich

CONSERVATIVE politicians support tax increases. Not for their wealthy donors, but for the poor and middle-class Americans who would pay more under the so-called "flat tax" proposals that were touted by Dick Army and Steve Forbes in the 1990s and are gaining currency again.
America has a progressive personal income tax, meaning it applies higher tax rates to the well-off and lower tax rates to the less well-off. Any proposal to adopt a single tax rate somewhere in between the existing highest and lowest rates would result in tax cuts for the rich and tax increases for the poor.
The beauty of the flat tax is that low income voters cannot soak the rich without soaking themselves too

There should be a flat tax....10% of income.....that's it...private or corporate with a 40-50 thousand dollar exemption for each individual before that 10% starts..............that way, people who don't make a lot don't pay a lot....and everyone pays the same rate.........
No one likes the flat tax idea but I bet in the next 20 years Republicans will implement it. Why do I think that? Because ever bat shit crazy thing I've heard on USMB, Republican politicians are now pushing those nut job ideas.

Or course all the experts say a flat tax will benefit the rich the most so here is yet another idea your side is pushing that further widens the gap between them and us.

https://www.usnews.com/debate-club/is-a-flat-tax-a-good-idea/flat-tax-will-benefit-only-the-rich

CONSERVATIVE politicians support tax increases. Not for their wealthy donors, but for the poor and middle-class Americans who would pay more under the so-called "flat tax" proposals that were touted by Dick Army and Steve Forbes in the 1990s and are gaining currency again.
America has a progressive personal income tax, meaning it applies higher tax rates to the well-off and lower tax rates to the less well-off. Any proposal to adopt a single tax rate somewhere in between the existing highest and lowest rates would result in tax cuts for the rich and tax increases for the poor.
The beauty of the flat tax is that low income voters cannot soak the rich without soaking themselves too

And the idea that everyone gets a 40-50 thousand dollar exemption...free money, no taxes till 40,001...........that is better than welfare...

It could

There’s far more products that have elastic demands than in
elastic.

And the idea that everyone gets a 40-50 thousand dollar exemption...free money, no taxes till 40,001...........that is better than welfare...

I would tax every dollar

but if there is an exemption instead of government welfare payments it would be ok with me

because bernie voters get welfare without lifting a finger

but the only way the private sector is going to give away money is if the person works for it

It could

elastic.
I suppose so

I would tax every dollar

but if there is an exemption instead of government welfare payments it would be ok with me

because bernie voters get welfare without lifting a finger

but the only way the private sector is going to give away money is if the person works for it

The whole goal of the private sector is to NOT work for your income.
An example is stock market investments.
No one works for even a second for that income, especially if they rely in insider manipulations.

The reason you have to allow a large flat tax deduction for each individual is the same reason you only tax profits for a business.
The cost of doing business has to be taken off first, before you figure what is profit.
And for individuals, rent, food, fuel, etc., ARE part of the cost of doing business, so should not be taxed.

But then everything AFTER the personal exemptions, should be taxed at 30%, not 10%.
Since poor people will not have any income to tax beyond the exemption, and middle class will have very little, then it is still progressive and fair.
But with a flat tax, the tax rate has to be the maximum you want the wealthy to pay now.
It is the exemption that is the best way to reduce the amount the poor pay, not a change in rate.

It could

elastic.
I suppose so

But food, especially baby formula, should not be taxed at all.

Wrong.

Taxes raise prices. Taxes reduce revenue.

Corporate taxes make American products less competitive.

Tarrifs make foreign products less competitive.

Forum List

Back