Do we need to lower drinking age??

If they are old enough to go to war at 18, they should be allowed to order a beer at a bar or buy alcohol at a store. 18 years old is considered being an adult. So let them be an adult and make their own decision on whether they wanna be a drinker or not.

Yes lower it to 18. It makes no sense that it is 21. But this administration considers you an adult only at age 27. Actual read reports about obamacare talking about adult children being covered to age 26. Saying adult children? Crazy! But that is what they believe; you're not an adult till 27.

I have been all over the world and 18 is in most European countries. Never had a problem. But conservative America does not like change, I can see them fight against lowering it as well as the current administration. So you can die for your country but you can't drink in your country....lol

"I waited until I was 21 why can't they?". I can see that argument circulating.
You start talking about the elephant in the room but you don't actually point it out. Maybe someone else will.

If they are old enough to go to war at 18, they should be allowed to order a beer at a bar or buy alcohol at a store. 18 years old is considered being an adult. So let them be an adult and make their own decision on whether they wanna be a drinker or not.

One stipulation to that, in my view, they need to have graduated high school or be out of high school. We would not want 18 year old kids in high school buying beer. It would make it much too easy for them to buy it for their friends who have not yet turned 18. Part of the problem with being 18 is that you are now accountable for most of your actions, yet you are still young and stupid, and very prone to do very stupid things. I agree that if you can go to war, then you should be legally permitted to drink. The thing is, very few of our young adults are in the military, so for me, I would prefer the age be left at 21, except for those serving in our military.

There is no U.S. "drinking age". It's set by individual states. As a matter of fact the ABC laws are so convoluted in some states that it defies understanding. In N.J. you can't get a drink in a restaurant but you can BYOB. Alcohol licenses are so expensive that only the mafia can afford them and they are treated like equity. In NY and most states you have liquor stores run by licensed civilians. In Va. only the state sells bottled liquor but you can buy beer in a grocery store. In N.C. the counties regulate their own alcohol laws. In Arizona you can buy liquor in a super market.
As squeeze pointed out and Taz corrected, the law is essentially federal. It was a blatant fed power grab that I cannot believe survived constitutional muster.

Yep, and end run around the amendment that 1) repealed prohibition and 2) let the states decide their own alcohol laws (and counties/towns if the states allow that).

Much of Europe has no minumum age for drinking. Seems to work out for them.

Legal drinking age - Wikipedia the free encyclopedia
They really have. But their youth seems to be more educated and understanding. They have already legalized marijuanna and don't have problems with it. As I see it depends on the youth. I doubt it will work in America. I would better raise the drinking age to get out of harm's way...

They really have. But their youth seems to be more educated and understanding. They have already legalized marijuanna and don't have problems with it. As I see it depends on the youth. I doubt it will work in America. I would better raise the drinking age to get out of harm's way...
Yes I have seen this over and over. People love to blame children for not being responsible enough, amd even referring to 18-20 year olds as not mature enough or children, but it's not the young adults, it's the parents. People do not raise their kids and that is why most post say an 18 year old is not mature enough. Hell, ban it on all adults because they are not mature enough to raise their children properly..

I say lower it to 18. You treat them like kids and this is what you get they act like kids when they are adults.

They are not 'more educated and understanding.' The problem is that we live in a culture of excess and gluttony. It is that way for pretty much everything American. Big house, big car, giant plates at dinner, big burgers etc. It is why we have such a problem with drug use and obesity - it is part of the culture of excess.

There is no U.S. "drinking age". It's set by individual states. As a matter of fact the ABC laws are so convoluted in some states that it defies understanding. In N.J. you can't get a drink in a restaurant but you can BYOB. Alcohol licenses are so expensive that only the mafia can afford them and they are treated like equity. In NY and most states you have liquor stores run by licensed civilians. In Va. only the state sells bottled liquor but you can buy beer in a grocery store. In N.C. the counties regulate their own alcohol laws. In Arizona you can buy liquor in a super market.
As squeeze pointed out and Taz corrected, the law is essentially federal. It was a blatant fed power grab that I cannot believe survived constitutional muster.

Yep, and end run around the amendment that 1) repealed prohibition and 2) let the states decide their own alcohol laws (and counties/towns if the states allow that).
It essentially ended all pretense that the state has powers. If the feds can tax all the money out of a state and then threaten to not return it unless certain conditions are met the state has no option. Federalism - a thing of the past.

It essentially ended all pretense that the state has powers. If the feds can tax all the money out of a state and then threaten to not return it unless certain conditions are met the state has no option. Federalism - a thing of the past.

Exactly. I am shocked this passed constitutional muster, but with how the courts have acted recently, I am not surprised.

Forum List

Back