Do you believe animals have souls?

What a load of crap trap this thread is. I F as the religious say g-d created all things then why would some *creatures* have souls and some not ? who says there are not creatures in another planet not discovered by man yet .where did he ( G_D ) draw the line and why ?,and who are you do judge which creature does and which creature does,nt have a soul anyway ? it does nt make any sence that dogs and cats cus they are our pets have souls , and the wild lion and dingo does nt. once again superstition is getting in the way of reason

why not ants worms. fish all gods creatures arnt they ..
get real folks there is no after life as quoted in old religious books it is just a tool used to control the masses .

Last edited:
Yes. I believe animals have a soul. King David said in Psalm 103 Bless the Lord O My Soul and all that is within in me....... the soul is the seat of the intellect, will and emotions. Do animals have a will? Yes, anyone with a pet knows they do.. intellect? Definitely! Emotions? Yes again! So they do have a soul. Still the pope is wrong and is endorsing a form of darwinism that challenges Gods greatest creation - mankind. Animals and humans were not created equally in Gods sight.

Man was created in Gods image. Genesis 1:26

God gave man dominion over all the animal kingdom. Psalm 8

So if God gave man dominion over the birds of the air, the fish of the sea, the beasts of the field? Man is created higher than animal life. Man is a trichotomy - made in the image of God - whereas animals are a dichotomy. Body & soul. There is a difference.
crap no prove of any of this just words in a old fable book called the bible
Man is a animal at the top of the chain of course they are superior .nothing to do with god we evovled faster than other species and so became the *1
all men are not created equal either some are handicapped phisically and /or mentally from birth . some are MUCH BIGGER then other dons,nt happen often in the lower species of animal .
you dont know shit

Last edited:
Yes. I believe all living things have souls. Even trees. If there is life..then there is a soul.

And you?

In ancient times people thought the seat of consciousness was in the organ of the heart. Now we know consciousness is seated in the brain. When scripture speaks about what goes on in the heart, they are referring to what goes on in the mind. In the same way soul was their word for consciousness, spirit referring to the souls inclination toward good or evil. An unclean spirit was just their way of saying filthy mind. A person possessed by a demon was simply a victim of mind control.

People are not made up of, mind, spirit and soul. Everything is perceived in the brain.

According to scripture death, confusion, and hell have souls in their keeping. That only makes sense if you understand soul to mean consciousness.

Any living thing that has a consciousness has a soul.

Actually that's NOT true.

Every have a feeling in the pit of your stomach?

Every have your heart broken?

Those aren't metaphoric phrases, they are describing REAL emotional responses that are starting in the gut OR the heart.

This data about the "brain in the gut or heart" is, incidently, rather new.

The brain is NOT the only part of the human body giving us feedback and data.

Yeah I know, I was surprise by that news, too.

Animals are incapable of evil. If they have souls, their souls are different than ours.

I had a Keeshond with a penchant for cruelty that few humans posses. She would catch a rat, alive. Then drop it in her water bucket and watch it swim until it tired out and began to drown. Then she would snatch it out of the bucket and lay it on the ground, until it revived and started moving around again. Then back in the water it went. She would do this until the rat would not revive again.

She enjoyed tormenting the little bastards, it wasn't enough to kill them, she wanted them to suffer.

Keeshond8.jpg

Yes. I believe all living things have souls. Even trees. If there is life..then there is a soul.

And you?

In ancient times people thought the seat of consciousness was in the organ of the heart. Now we know consciousness is seated in the brain. When scripture speaks about what goes on in the heart, they are referring to what goes on in the mind. In the same way soul was their word for consciousness, spirit referring to the souls inclination toward good or evil. An unclean spirit was just their way of saying filthy mind. A person possessed by a demon was simply a victim of mind control.

People are not made up of, mind, spirit and soul. Everything is perceived in the brain.

According to scripture death, confusion, and hell have souls in their keeping. That only makes sense if you understand soul to mean consciousness.

Any living thing that has a consciousness has a soul.

Actually that's NOT true.

Every have a feeling in the pit of your stomach?

Every have your heart broken?

Those aren't metaphoric phrases, they are describing REAL emotional responses that are starting in the gut OR the heart.

This data about the "brain in the gut or heart" is, incidently, rather new.

The brain is NOT the only part of the human body giving us feedback and data.

Yeah I know, I was surprise by that news, too.

Gut feelings or broken hearts are just physical reactions to stress percieved in the brain.

There is no organ of the heart where anything is perceived. the heart is a muscle that pumps blood whose function is directly affected by whats going on in the brain.

All your feelings thoughts, dreams desires and gut feelings or broken hearts are all perceived in the brain.

Without question! I look into the eyes of any of the animal I have ever known and there is a depth of spirit, a quietness of heart and boundless love. Victor Hugo wrote, "To love another person is to see the face of God." To me that transfers seamlessly to animals as well.

Some time ago, a woman I had know was dying, she was in a municipal hospital being treated badly. I arranged for her to come to my home, got the appropriate bed and hired a nurse, so this woman could die with dignity and peace. What I did not figure was that my Chihuahua would have brought her so much joy. The dog never left her side and slept with her until it was her time.

All the arguments again an animal having a soul would fall on deaf ears when speaking to me.

I always thought that sentients implies soul. At least that is what I come to think about the issue of what a soul is.

In other words, consciousness implies soul, and animals seem conscious to me.

Animals are incapable of evil. If they have souls, their souls are different than ours.

I had a Keeshond with a penchant for cruelty that few humans posses. She would catch a rat, alive. Then drop it in her water bucket and watch it swim until it tired out and began to drown. Then she would snatch it out of the bucket and lay it on the ground, until it revived and started moving around again. Then back in the water it went. She would do this until the rat would not revive again.

She enjoyed tormenting the little bastards, it wasn't enough to kill them, she wanted them to suffer.

Keeshond8.jpg

It was a game to her. A toy. Like fetching the ball. I don't think she deliberately knew what she was doing was torturous to the rat.
With that said..why did you let her do it and not tell her "no" when she did? And, watch it all happen? When my cat catches mice and plays with them, I take them away from her. I also knock them in the head for a quick death if they are mangled and still alive but will not survive. Those that are capable of surviving, I let go in the field next door.

Last edited:
the ghost of my cat haunts me. Sometimes if i turn around quickly I can see him. He doesn't know he is dead. So I don't tell him.

It was a game to her. A toy. Like fetching the ball. I don't think she deliberately knew what she was doing was torturous to the rat.

She knew exactly what she was doing. But it was a game - a game of "torture the rat to death."

With that said..why did you let her do it and not tell her "no" when she did?

Why? I wanted her to kill rats. The Dingo kills them too, but she is quick about it.

And, watch it all happen? When my cat catches mice and plays with them, I take them away from her. I also knock them in the head for a quick death if they are mangled and still alive but will not survive. Those that are capable of surviving, I let go in the field next door.

A dog or cat killing a pest is not something I interfere with.

Without question! I look into the eyes of any of the animal I have ever known and there is a depth of spirit, a quietness of heart and boundless love. Victor Hugo wrote, "To love another person is to see the face of God." To me that transfers seamlessly to animals as well.

Some time ago, a woman I had know was dying, she was in a municipal hospital being treated badly. I arranged for her to come to my home, got the appropriate bed and hired a nurse, so this woman could die with dignity and peace. What I did not figure was that my Chihuahua would have brought her so much joy. The dog never left her side and slept with her until it was her time.

All the arguments again an animal having a soul would fall on deaf ears when speaking to me.

Does an Animal have a conscience? ......... :)

If my dog gets into the treats, when I get home he sure looks guilty to me.

If my dog takes a squirt on the rug she looks real sheepish and guilty when I approach her. Seems to me she does have a conscience.

prayingdog.jpg

Pope John Paul II:
'Animals Possess A Soul'

Pope John Paul II declared in a public audience in 1990 that "also the animals possess a soul and men must love and feel solidarity with our smaller brethren". He said, too, that they are the "fruit of the creative action of the Holy Spirit and merit respect," and are as near to God as men are." The Pope went on to say that, "animals have the breath of life and were given it by God. In this respect, man created by the hand of God is identical with all living creatures. ... The existence therefore of all living creatures depends on the living spirit/breath of God that not only creates but also sustains and renews the face of the earth."

An old man and his dog were walking down this dirt
road with fences on both sides, they came to a gate
in the fence and looked in, it was nice - grassy,
woody areas, just what a 'huntin' dog and man would like, but, it had a sign saying 'no trespassing' so they walked on.

They came to a beautiful gate with a person in white robes standing there. "Welcome to Heaven"
he said. The old man was happy and started in with his dog following him.

The gatekeeper stopped him. "Dogs aren't allowed,
I'm sorry but he can't come with you." "What
kind of Heaven won't allow dogs? If He can't come in, then I will stay out with him. He's been my faithful
companion all his life, I can't desert him now.
" "Suit yourself, but I have to warn you,
the Devil's on this road and he'll try to sweet talk you into his area, he'll promise you anything, but, the dog can't go there either. If you won't leave the dog, you'll spend Eternity on this road " So the old man and dog went on.

They came to a rundown fence with a gap in it, no gate, just a hole. Another old man was inside. "Scuse me Sir, my dog and I are getting mighty tired, mind if we come in and sit in the shade for awhile?" "Of course, there's some cold water under that tree over there. Make yourselves comfortable " "You're sure my dog can come in? The man down the road said dogs weren't allowed anywhere." "Would you come in if you had to leave the dog?" " No sir, that's why I didn't go to Heaven, he said the dog couldn't come in. We'll be spending Eternity on this road, and a glass of cold water and some
shade would be mighty fine right about now. But, I won't come in if my buddy here can't come too, and that's final. "

The man smiled a big smile and said "Welcome to Heaven." "You mean this is Heaven? Dogs ARE allowed? How come that fellow down the road said they weren't?" "That was the Devil and he gets all the people who are willing to give up a life long companion for a comfortable place to stay. They soon find out their mistake, but, then it's too late. The dogs come here, the fickle people stay there. GOD wouldn't allow dogs to be banned from Heaven. After all, HE created them to be man's companions in life, why would he separate them in death?"

Author Earl Hamner

And you?

Just like humans all animals are born atheists. Humans possess an innate spirituality and are taught about souls, religions, sin, good & evil and the implied existence of mythical deities for which there is no physical evidence. Animals are fortunate in that they are not subjected to any of that. Humans and chimpanzese have virtually identical DNA so either the "soul" exists in that slight discrepancy or has nothing whatsoever to do with it. That we are capable of forming a bond with with animals probably has something to do with sentience. Where the line is drawn as far as that goes is murky. There are those who talk to their plants and seem to be rewarded for that communication. So if humans have souls then there is no reason why souls are not common to all living things.

Forum List

Back