Do you believe that "Everything happens for a reason"?

MarathonMike

Diamond Member
Dec 30, 2014
The Southwestern Desert
This phrase is thrown around so often, it is easy to just let it slide by without giving it much thought. But if you really believe that everything happens for a reason, then what do you think it means? I have always assumed it is closely tied the Christian belief that "God has a plan for you". But maybe I'm wrong, could it mean something else?

I personally don't believe that everything happens for a reason. I think life is a rolling wave of endless possibilities and you're riding it on a flimsy board and wobbly legs trying your best to not to wipe out.

It's all about the mysterious ways of God. God has a plan and we are not to question it. It's a consolation to those who can't bear to live in a pointless universe ruled by nothing more than entropy.

It's all about the mysterious ways of God. God has a plan and we are not to question it. It's a consolation to those who can't bear to live in a pointless universe ruled by nothing more than entropy.
Even people 300+ years ago were smarter than you.

Pascal's wager is an argument in philosophy presented by the seventeenth-century French philosopher, mathematician and physicist, Blaise Pascal (1623–1662).[1] It posits that humans bet with their lives that God either exists or does not.

Pascal argues that a rational person should live as though God exists and seek to believe in God. If God does not actually exist, such a person will have only a finite loss (some pleasures, luxury, etc.), whereas if God does exist, he stands to receive infinite gains (as represented by eternity in Heaven) and avoid infinite losses (eternity in Hell).[2]

Pascal's Wager was based on the idea of the Christian God, though similar arguments have occurred in other religious traditions. The original wager was set out in Pascal's posthumously published Pensées ("Thoughts"), an assembly of previously unpublished notes.[3]

Historically, Pascal's wager was groundbreaking because it charted new territory in probability theory,[4] marked the first formal use of decision theory, existentialism, pragmatism and voluntarism.[5]

This phrase is thrown around so often, it is easy to just let it slide by without giving it much thought. But if you really believe that everything happens for a reason, then what do you think it means? I have always assumed it is closely tied the Christian belief that "God has a plan for you". But maybe I'm wrong, could it mean something else?

I personally don't believe that everything happens for a reason. I think life is a rolling wave of endless possibilities and you're riding it on a flimsy board and wobbly legs trying your best to not to wipe out.
In my opinion, a lot of things that take place happen because people flat out do not care about anyone but themselves. That is the only reason that I can come up with.

God bless you always!!!

Holly

Nope. There is some random senseless crap out there.

Pascal's wager is an argument in philosophy presented by the seventeenth-century French philosopher, mathematician and physicist, Blaise Pascal (1623–1662).[1] It posits that humans bet with their lives that God either exists or does not.

Pascal argues that a rational person should live as though God exists and seek to believe in God. If God does not actually exist, such a person will have only a finite loss (some pleasures, luxury, etc.), whereas if God does exist, he stands to receive infinite gains (as represented by eternity in Heaven) and avoid infinite losses (eternity in Hell).[2]

Pascal's Wager was based on the idea of the Christian God, though similar arguments have occurred in other religious traditions. The original wager was set out in Pascal's posthumously published Pensées ("Thoughts"), an assembly of previously unpublished notes.[3]

Historically, Pascal's wager was groundbreaking because it charted new territory in probability theory,[4] marked the first formal use of decision theory, existentialism, pragmatism and voluntarism.[5]
God's plan looks exactly like random chaos. There is nothing orderly or preordained about this existence until a human makes it that way. The problem of why bad things happen to good people can never have a satisfactory answer to someone who has just watched a loved one die a horrible death. After what God did to my mother he does not deserve my belief, much less my worship. If I see him someday he's got some serious explaining to do about this screwed up world.

Shit Happens.

Really.

Free will negates the "plan" idea.

Shit Happens.

Really.
In Safety and especially accident investigation, "Everything happens for a reason" means somebody screwed up or something broke, not acts of God.

ef95f3e0fb456e59a345fbf4e9f03533.png.. actually I'm a free will optimist..

I think that there is a purpose to this life even if we don't know it. From my listening to Dennis Prager and others I think we are being tested as to what sort of people we are....and you don't find that out with cookies and ice cream. We are commanded to take care of the widows and orphans and to seek justice, to treat others with kindness and mercy........ no matter what life throws at us.

God's plan looks exactly like random chaos. There is nothing orderly or preordained about this existence until a human makes it that way. The problem of why bad things happen to good people can never have a satisfactory answer to someone who has just watched a loved one die a horrible death. After what God did to my mother he does not deserve my belief, much less my worship. If I see him someday he's got some serious explaining to do about this screwed up world.

Sorry about your loss....but it has nothing to do with God...especially if you believe there is something beyond our life here. From what we are told.....there is something beyond this life....something better.....and dying is the transition to that life. How we react to the suffering in this world is a test.....do we try to make the world better, in the middle of our grief and suffering do we help those in need with their grief and suffering? How we react to this world and whether we can maintain and follow the 10 commandments is being watched.........we have free will and how we use that free will is the test.

No, not necessarily..........we have free will in how we react to his plan, that doesn't mean there isn't a plan.....

"But if you really believe that everything happens for a reason, then what do you think it means?"

If you believe it, then that is what it means.
Really.
Dude.

I definitely do

Our choices have consequences
We suffer consequences because of others choices
Then there is God and the circumstances He creates
to make our crooked paths straight and bring about what He planned before us

I can only speak for myself...life is tough but God is faithful
My story is my testimony and my testimony is my story
I can not dismiss what I can not deny

Believe this....there is a reason for what is happening in the world
for this time and season we have entered

To every thing there is a season, and a time to every purpose under the heaven:

2 A time to be born, and a time to die; a time to plant, and a time to pluck up that which is planted;

3 A time to kill, and a time to heal; a time to break down, and a time to build up;

4 A time to weep, and a time to laugh; a time to mourn, and a time to dance;

5 A time to cast away stones, and a time to gather stones together;
a time to embrace, and a time to refrain from embracing;

6 A time to get, and a time to lose; a time to keep, and a time to cast away;

7 A time to rend, and a time to sew; a time to keep silence, and a time to speak;

8 A time to love, and a time to hate; a time of war, and a time of peace.

Ecclesiastes 3:1-8

Our world is not falling apart, it's falling into place
You don't have to hold on...Just be held

Even in the madness there is peace
Drowning out the voices all around me
Through all of this chaos You are writing a symphony

Some trivial, everyday, unimportant things happen because we make them happen and they don't matter that much.

Others..... much more important things in life, life changing things, critical....crucial things that happen in our lives, happen for a reason.

"This is the Way, walk in it". And if we have any brain cells left ....obey we must.

My opinion only.

Everything happens for a reason, but the reason is that everything happens.

• Thanks
Reactions: Ava

No, not necessarily..........we have free will in how we react to his plan, that doesn't mean there isn't a plan.....

General plan? Perhaps. Specific plan for you? I don't think so.

"But if you really believe that everything happens for a reason, then what do you think it means?"

If you believe it, then that is what it means.
Really.
Dude.
Does it mean things happen specifically to you for a reason, or in the larger sense of things in the world happening for a reason.

Forum List

Back