Do you favor smaller government?

Do you favor smaller government?

• Yes I do, and I accept all challenges to the contrary

Votes: 33 94.3%
  • Abstain

Votes: 2 5.7%

• Total voters
It's a great question, I'd have to look into it more.

Federal government+private prisons sounds awful, but I can't say I'm certain I'd be against it at the state or local level, seems like it'd be easier to manage then. Sorry for the grey answer just don't want to give a black and white one when I'm not sure.

Letting private companies run prisons instead of the Federal Government and other governments is one of the most moronic things that could be done in this country. What is the #1 objective of any company? To make profit.

How does one make more profit when you run a private prison? More prisoners. Cut corners on certain things.

You have a entire industry (privately run prisons) which exists and has a financial incentive to have as many people in prison as they can.

Here's a good read:

http://www.justicepolicy.org/uploads/justicepolicy/documents/gaming_the_system.pdf

Europe had shit water and instead of drinking it they turned it into weak bear so it was drinkabe.

But of course, Americans suck, so we need an overlord to keep us in line.

By the way..the beer thing was done in America as well. To the cheers of men..and the chagrin of their wives..:lol:

Funny how some want the peoples power smaller and smaller.

The gov't is not the people. Do you think your voice matters in Washington compared to McDonnell Douglas and Goldman Sachs?

Unless you know someone named McDonnell Douglas, you might want to know that company has not existed since it merged with Boeing in 1997. Right now, Boeing has little capital has little capital with the Capitol. But the unions have bought and paid for their pet politicians.

Federal government+private prisons sounds awful, but I can't say I'm certain I'd be against it at the state or local level, seems like it'd be easier to manage then. Sorry for the grey answer just don't want to give a black and white one when I'm not sure.

Letting private companies run prisons instead of the Federal Government and other governments is one of the most moronic things that could be done in this country. What is the #1 objective of any company? To make profit.

How does one make more profit when you run a private prison? More prisoners. Cut corners on certain things.

You have a entire industry (privately run prisons) which exists and has a financial incentive to have as many people in prison as they can.

Here's a good read:

http://www.justicepolicy.org/uploads/justicepolicy/documents/gaming_the_system.pdf

Yep.

There was a big controversy a while back in this region where judges were just sending kids to private prisons for a kick back.

Right. So it is further processed and folks pay for that.

Yes. That doesn't make it an intelligent thing to do, though.
Sure looks like it is. There is a demand, the company meets it, they make money, and the consumer has something they prefer. Is there a problem I'm missing?

I don't think you're understanding me.

I'm not making a political point, or advocating "banning" Dasani. I'm not complaining about the Dasani company (Coca Cola). They've got a niche, and they're making money, so of course it's a smart thing for them to do.

But it's stupid to buy a bottle of Dasani - and just the fact that people do it doesn't make it not stupid.

That's my opinion.

Sure looks like it is. There is a demand, the company meets it, they make money, and the consumer has something they prefer. Is there a problem I'm missing?

I'm not making a political point, or advocating "banning" Dasani. I'm not complaining about the Dasani company (Coca Cola). They've got a niche, and they're making money, so of course it's a smart thing for them to do.

But it's stupid to buy a bottle of Dasani - and just the fact that people do it doesn't make it not stupid.

That's my opinion.
Meh, I don't think it's really all that stupid to buy a bottle of water. I started filtering my tap water about two years ago and the taste difference is huge to me. So, when I am out and about or at an outdoor activity in the heat, I bring bottled water because the tap water no longer tastes that good to me.

I'll drink it in a pinch, though.

That's my opinion.

This is a good example of where rational choice theory can fail.

Here's a good read:

That's why corporatism is a better word than private prisons. Public money is used, and the company will influence the federal gov't to give them more prisoners.

The corporatism used by the 2 status quo parties in power is one of the main things those who are libertarian in principle fight against.

That's my opinion.

Yeah I'm the Kroger Water type, 24 bottles for $2.99, I'll never buy water from a vending machine.

Here we have a quote from Liability's first post in this thread, where he declares that discussing this topic is simply not a worthwhile endeavor.

Until and unless we have some workable agreement as to the definition of those terms, any "discussion" will involve people talking right the fuck PAST each other.

And then he goes on to discuss it at length anyway...

I believe he already offered the citation.

The CONSTITUTION.

Or are you imagining that it has to use the phrase "limited government" in order for it to clearly demand limits on government?

I don't go so far.

STATES may CERTAINLY experiment in ways that are not permissible for the Federal Government.

However, there are certain BASE RIGHTS held by all Americans with which the STATES are not authorized to interfere. When they do (or try to), I am content that the Federal Government is empowered under the Constitution to intercede.

Actually, the concern with Big Government is prety much limited to the Federal Government.

It is the authority of the FEDERAL Government which was LIMITED by the Constitution.

The States were (and are) still sovereigns, however, even under the Federal umbrella; and the limits on THEIR authority are not (with some exceptions) found in the Federal Constitution.

The "size" of government has instead increased under the Obama Administration:

Has America's government shrunk? - CSMonitor.com

And in addition to the increase in Federal spending (gee, what a shock), the TRUTH is that there has been an increase in the Federal WORKFORCE under President Obama, too. That's NOT a decrease. It's an INCREASE.

The phony figure of 500,000 fewer "government" jobs is (a) wrong in and of itself (it's more like 400,000) and (b) actually the figure for ALL government (Fed., State and local), not just Federal (which has increased).

Here's The TRUTH About The Growing Federal Workforce Under Obama

I simply don't have the heart to tell him that he's just talking right the fuck past himself. :lol:

They "purify" it.

Yes. That doesn't make it an intelligent thing to do, though. Dasani is in no way "healthier", or "better" than tap water.

In fact, it loses taste tests to NYC tap water.
I don't live in NY, so I wouldn't know. I know my water tastes better when filtered. And, when I am out and about, Dasani (or any filtered water) tastes better than others' unfiltered tap water.

And, what does this have to do with smaller government? Just because those of us who want smaller government like the fact that we have potable water in a pinch is somehow discrediting our desire for smaller government, apparently?

Here's a good read:

That's why corporatism is a better word than private prisons. Public money is used, and the company will influence the federal gov't to give them more prisoners.

The corporatism used by the 2 status quo parties in power is one of the main things those who are libertarian in principle fight against.

So you're against government contracts?

Yes. That doesn't make it an intelligent thing to do, though. Dasani is in no way "healthier", or "better" than tap water.

I don't live in NY, so I wouldn't know. I know my water tastes better when filtered. And, when I am out and about, Dasani (or any filtered water) tastes better than others' unfiltered tap water.

And, what does this have to do with smaller government? Just because those of us who want smaller government like the fact that we have potable water in a pinch is somehow discrediting our desire for smaller government, apparently?

Yep.

Very much so.

Apparently there is one big government program the righties don't like: the water system.

That is very amusing.

Well, then by all means, spend as much money as you like on Dasani. It's no skin off my back.

It has nothing to do with smaller government. As happens frequently on this board, the topic of this thread has drifted.

Forum List

Back