Do you feel free to express your beliefs?

It's not about being afraid to say what's on your mind, it's about how you want to be perceived by your peers. It's about your character. If you feel it necessary to use the word ******, ****, cracker or whatever term of endearment...so be it, but don't blame everyone else if they in turn call you a racist, a bigot, or whatever term they deem necessary. It goes both ways,whether the reaction to your opinion is justified or not.

In the same respect, there is a time and a place to voice your opinions. I know, if some people had the balls to say to me what they post on this forum in person, we would probably engage in fisticuffs. If some people say what they post here at work, they would probably be fired and I don't think that is abridging anyone's freedom of speech.

Exactly they just want to act like assholes and doesnt want anyone to judge the words that come out of their mouth.

You are free to be an asshole and "keep it real" but when someone reacts to your bullshit dont turn into vicky the victim. You might want to keep that tough talk exclusively to online. :badgrin:

In a nutshell....what I am asking is......are you afraid to say what you think about anything of a controversial nature?

Not "afraid". I don't goosestep for anybody. However, I do find it irritating that an opinion cannot be stated without words being twisted and I come here for socializing...not getting piled on. So..I tend to avoid most controversial topics but do at times, lapse.

Guys maybe we are beating our chests a little too much here. Not everyone has the 24-7 news hound mentality and feels as if the sun is not coming up tomorrow. It is sorta neat to hear the different personal stories about this good question.

Here in the old Southland manners are still important. If someone comes into one of our restaurants, they don't come to get harangued with political speech as an appetizer. It is impolite to mention politics unless the customer brings it up first. There is a time and a place for these things, and Friday night dinner is not one of them. Besides, business can go south fast if customers feel you care more about politics than the food and the dining experience. A second point is that when you are dealing with small towns your best bet is to be discrete because just a few power brokers can make or break your business. The constant barrage of talk radio and cable tv has also numbed people to issues in the news, I can't tell you how many people have told me they just can't listen to it anymore

So it's important for even the impassioned to realize that there is more to life than red and blue states and respect and be curious of other peoples interests. As a matter of fact you might endear yourself to more people if you are subtle, and god forbid you might even learn something if you listen instead of preach. It doesn't take any courage to blurt out what is on the tip of your tongue, and it doesn't mean you are less patriotic if the lives of your neighbors edge out a perceived national crisis for a few moments.

This is the USA - fuck you if you don't like what I say! Telling someone what they can't say is immeasurably worse than a symphony of vituperative speech!

Do I feel free to express my beliefs? I DID --- til THIS happened..

590px-IAO-logo.png

Any government who would seriously consider adopting THAT as a logo for a domestic surveillance office is a threat to my free expression... Good thing that logo is gone --- but the "office" and the ARROGANCE still remains..

590px-IAO-logo.png

Any government who would seriously consider adopting THAT as a logo for a domestic surveillance office is a threat to my free expression... Good thing that logo is gone --- but the "office" and the ARROGANCE still remains..

I can just imagine the kind of data mining domestic surveillance. It's good that you see it as an arrogance.

I do too, but I still feel free to express my beliefs. I just don't feel free from the arrogant powers that are in POTUS and other places.

This is the USA - fuck you if you don't like what I say! Telling someone what they can't say is immeasurably worse than a symphony of vituperative speech!

:thup:

The proof of a real Democracy is not in voting the politicians into office. It's being able to throw the bums out of the office they're abusing and that's a good part of free speech.

My father always said avoid discussing Politics and Religion. Now, you tell me that he saw into the future?

Or that Repubs just dont understand simple interactions amongst human beings?

Some don't. I have a lot of Republican friends, and they know I'm not a Republican and we have respect for each other's beliefs. That doesn't stop me from participating in Democratic organizations, writing letters to the editor criticizing Republican policies, and neither does it stop them from doing those things.

Sure, you can say whatever you want and offend people and they'll think you a fool because just blowing off steam doesn't accomplish anything....just offends people and make them not like you or being around you.

Same thing with religion. Why should I start bad mouthing people that don't believe the way I do? Doesn't serve any purpose. There is a place and a time for everything.

If you work, then you don't spout off your beliefs, unless you are positive that everyone around you believes the same way, at least your boss, because, they can always find a reason why you are not needed anymore.

Ha,ha, say that to your boss and see how long you are able to keep your job. We do have free speech, but most intelligent people know when the time is right to say whatever they want to say. You chose wisely.....username.

Ha,ha, say that to your boss and see how long you are able to keep your job. We do have free speech, but most intelligent people know when the time is right to say whatever they want to say. You chose wisely.....username.

And still he gets to say it. That's what matters.

What happens after free speech doesn't have to be free and it doesn't have to be speech either.

USA :rock:

590px-IAO-logo.png

I can just imagine the kind of data mining domestic surveillance. It's good that you see it as an arrogance.

I do too, but I still feel free to express my beliefs. I just don't feel free from the arrogant powers that are in POTUS and other places.

Conspiracy theories abound my bud... And yes -- it's arrogant and dangerous..

590px-IAO-logo.png

Conspiracy theories abound my bud... And yes -- it's arrogant and dangerous..

Then it's best to stay out of the conspiracy section unless one likes those theories.

My mother used to say, choose your battles....somethings aren't worth saying, not if they end up hurting the person saying them more....

What happens after free speech doesn't have to be free and it doesn't have to be speech
True that....if you're willing to pay the price....then say whatever you want, just don't complain about the consequences......:)

Always.....:D

590px-IAO-logo.png

Yeah, cuz the US has never spied on its citizens before.

What happens after free speech doesn't have to be free and it doesn't have to be speech either.

USA :rock:

I think kids playing the loud music and the guy texting in the theater know all about that.

I'm the boss. Sometimes it is prudent to attenuate your speech, or suppress it altogether - that is basic, and by choice! No one else will hinder my speech - you missed that! :eusa_whistle: " Do you feel free to express your beliefs " I don't go around with a banner professing my most poignant beliefs, but they can be conjured up unadulterated, instantly; without trepidation.
If you don't feel that way, then you are living in fear!

This whole argument of intolerance is un American BS - the crux of it is they want evil to be tolerated!

I'm the boss. Sometimes it is prudent to attenuate your speech, or suppress it altogether - that is basic, and by choice!
Well, if you are the boss, then you probably can say what you want, but you may not be respected by those employees who may feel different than you do, and they probably won't tell you either, and what exactly do you gain by expressing your beliefs unless you are debating?

No one else will hinder my speech - you missed that! :eusa_whistle:
You may think that, but our speech is hindered many times. Go to the CDZ and tell someone to "fuck off" and see how quickly you will find out you can't really "always" say what you want.

Do you feel free to express your beliefs " I don't go around with a banner professing my most poignant beliefs, but they can be conjured up unadulterated, instantly; without trepidation.
I won't ever compromise my beliefs, and when someone says something that I really don't believe is true, I don't hesitate to point it out...but most people I know don't go around discussing politics nor religion.

If you don't feel that way, then you are living in fear!
I do not
Fear of what? That someone is going to shoot me? It's not fear, it's just common sense. Only fools go around spouting their beliefs thinking they are right and everyone else is wrong and they don't accomplish anything except to look like fools.

This whole argument of intolerance is un American BS - the crux of it is they want evil to be tolerated!

Well, then, there is also that matter of what you define as evil. What may be evil to you may not be evil to someone else....and, in this country, the majority get to decide what will be tolerated and what won't.

My mother used to say, choose your battles....somethings aren't worth saying, not if they end up hurting the person saying them more....

True that....if you're willing to pay the price....then say whatever you want, just don't complain about the consequences......:)

Always.....:D

So, people should be free to say what they want, as long as they're willing to go to prison or be executed for saying it?

Yep, you're a democrat alright...

Forum List

Back