Do you feel free to express your beliefs?

I am not just talking about Religious Beliefs but any and everything from politics to sports to whatever.

In a nutshell....what I am asking is......are you afraid to say what you think about anything of a controversial nature? aka are you just afraid of offending someone or are you afraid that someone of a official nature may be listening....even at a restaurant, at your office or in some other public place....of course we know that they are damn well monitoring these message boards.

I have noticed a remarkable reluctance over the past few years for people to talk about anything that might be considered controversial that might cause someone to think you lack toleration or that you might have 'religious inclinations', or that you might have racist inclinations .....all way tooooo reminiscent of the fear that pervaded the lives of the citizens of Russia during the Stalinist Era.

Now....not that long ago...such as I am talking about would have been considered 'paranoia' by most and of course some will still claim that...but when we read about how spy agencies aka the NSA has the ability to listen in on just about anything they want to...then what I am concerned about can hardly be described as paranoia.

Also.....people have more to be worred about than just the Feds spying on us....if you are employed you definitely have to worry about what your bosses hear you talking about, if you are a prominent person or have some sort of prominent position in private industry, and most especially government, or are employed in a public or even a private school you must be very careful of what you say obviously....but I have noted even common everyday people with jobs of no prominence or much interest to anyone exhibit a tendancy to not say much regarding anything controversial unless they have had a few drinks.

So is this reluctance now to talk about anything of a controversial nature rational or just an example of how easy it is for a central government to install fear into the general populance in order to force them to follow the party line?

If you're a racist douche uncomfortable with the fact that normal people don't tolerate your bullshit anymore, too bad. If you're just a pussy afraid to speak his mind, too bad. Otherwise, stop being paranoid.

I'm curious, what freedom of speech rights have been abridged? In the US, who is or has been imprisoned for speech? What American laws exist that limit what you can say?

OP wants the right to say whatever he wants and not get his face punched. So he sits in front of his monitor where he's safe

I'm curious, what freedom of speech rights have been abridged? In the US, who is or has been imprisoned for speech? What American laws exist that limit what you can say?

No one has been imprisoned, but the left has engaged in concerted efforts to punish those who hold views contrary to the party dogma.

No one has been imprisoned, but the left has engaged in concerted efforts to punish those who hold views contrary to the party dogma.

I agree, the left can be quite effective in their efforts to push their definition of tolerance by attacking traditional family values and conservatism under the guise of racism. They have embarrassingly watered downed the term, 'racist'. In the same respect, the right has embarrassingly raised the standard as to what is racism.

For example, there are a million respectable ways to express one's distaste for Obama and his policies; but, when it is boiled down to calling him an ape and using thinly veiled racist terms and expressions...you are either dealing with a person of very little intellectual acuity or a racist. The left has used this to their benefit and the right has universalized this idea themselves by adopting the enemy of an enemy is my friend mentality and remaining silent when a racist speaks (or by using the age old argument of a five year old...but the democrats did it). The GOP is not helping itself when they allow obvious racists to speak for them and when they rally behind these people because the justification is somehow irrelevant

Last edited:
When I am asked what I think about something, no, I am not afraid to be honest.

God bless you always!!! :) :) :)

Holly

P.S. Do I go and say what I think about certain things right up out of no where? No. Why not? Because doing so would only come across as being rude.

This is the USA - fuck you if you don't like what I say! Telling someone what they can't say is immeasurably worse than a symphony of vituperative speech!

Ha,ha, say that to your boss and see how long you are able to keep your job. We do have free speech, but most intelligent people know when the time is right to say whatever they want to say. You chose wisely.....username.
I'm the boss. Sometimes it is prudent to attenuate your speech, or suppress it altogether - that is basic, and by choice! No one else will hinder my speech - you missed that! :eusa_whistle: " Do you feel free to express your beliefs " I don't go around with a banner professing my most poignant beliefs, but they can be conjured up unadulterated, instantly; without trepidation.
If you don't feel that way, then you are living in fear!

This whole argument of intolerance is un American BS - the crux of it is they want evil to be tolerated!

Try speaking in that way to your child's school teacher, hmmm.

Try speaking in that way to the IRS agent who is auditing you, hmmm.

Try speaking that way at a KKK or a NAACP meeting, hmmm.

You are a poser, nothing else.

My mother used to say, choose your battles....somethings aren't worth saying, not if they end up hurting the person saying them more....

True that....if you're willing to pay the price....then say whatever you want, just don't complain about the consequences......:)

Always.....:D

So, people should be free to say what they want, as long as they're willing to go to prison or be executed for saying it?

Yep, you're a democrat alright...

Yep, you are a far right reactionary who would punish others for what they would say.

Don't need your shit in the GOP.

See how that works, creep?

Sorry. Your OP is just retarded.

There has been no change...over the past few years....in how Americans conduct themselves in public regarding discussions about politics or religion. That is just ridiculous. Nobody of an official nature is listening.

My favorite part about your retarded thread is that you are butthurt about not being able to express your racist tendencies out in the open. Poor guy! You don't feel comfy letting others know that you lack tolerance.

What you are "witnessing" is people being polite. Not fear.

Now...some pointers.

You use "a.k.a" way too often.

Paragraph four is word salad.

You contradict yourself in paragraph number five.

Agreed, truly moronic.

Americans enjoy greater freedom of expression and individual liberty today than at any point in this Nation’s history; and that freedom and liberty have never been more secure today than at any point in this Nation’s history.

First Amendment jurisprudence protects all manner of speech and expression, including what is perceived to be hate speech. And should government seek to place restrictions on free speech or expression, it must meet a very heavy burden to indeed preempt our most fundamental of rights.

Consequently, this rightwing notion that one “is not free to express his beliefs” is ignorant partisan nonsense, a contrivance of conservative whiners upset because private society appropriately rejects their ignorance, hate, and lies.

Ha,ha, say that to your boss and see how long you are able to keep your job. We do have free speech, but most intelligent people know when the time is right to say whatever they want to say. You chose wisely.....username.
I'm the boss. Sometimes it is prudent to attenuate your speech, or suppress it altogether - that is basic, and by choice! No one else will hinder my speech - you missed that! :eusa_whistle: " Do you feel free to express your beliefs " I don't go around with a banner professing my most poignant beliefs, but they can be conjured up unadulterated, instantly; without trepidation.

This whole argument of intolerance is un American BS - the crux of it is they want evil to be tolerated!

Try speaking in that way to your child's school teacher, hmmm.

Try speaking in that way to the IRS agent who is auditing you, hmmm.

Try speaking that way at a KKK or a NAACP meeting, hmmm.

You are a poser, nothing else.

For that matter, try speaking that way if you're NOT the boss.

. . . this rightwing notion that one “is not free to express his beliefs” is ignorant partisan nonsense, a contrivance of conservative whiners upset because private society appropriately rejects their ignorance, hate, and lies.
^^^ that

I'm the boss. Sometimes it is prudent to attenuate your speech, or suppress it altogether - that is basic, and by choice!
Well, if you are the boss, then you probably can say what you want, but you may not be respected by those employees who may feel different than you do, and they probably won't tell you either, and what exactly do you gain by expressing your beliefs unless you are debating?

You may think that, but our speech is hindered many times. Go to the CDZ and tell someone to "fuck off" and see how quickly you will find out you can't really "always" say what you want.

I won't ever compromise my beliefs, and when someone says something that I really don't believe is true, I don't hesitate to point it out...but most people I know don't go around discussing politics nor religion.

I do not
Fear of what? That someone is going to shoot me? It's not fear, it's just common sense. Only fools go around spouting their beliefs thinking they are right and everyone else is wrong and they don't accomplish anything except to look like fools.

Well, then, there is also that matter of what you define as evil. What may be evil to you may not be evil to someone else....and, in this country, the majority get to decide what will be tolerated and what won't.
This thread is ambiguous - do you tell your mother in law she is an old witch even though you might think so? No, because of spousal ramifications; fear!

If your beliefs are strong enough, they will trump death; fear irrelevant?

I feel that the liberals want to make illegal any speech that is incongruent to their cause!

Sometimes people ask directly about religious, and political views. When they do, I give it to them raw - void of consideration; don't ask me if you don't want the truth. I did have two people in the past year ask me directly if I supported Obama :badgrin:

As far as evil goes: yours or my interpretation is moot - it is immutable!

I cherish free speech - I am in fear of the liberal attack thereto, so I tell them to go fuck themselves :badgrin:

And the right takes to the airwaves and whines and bitches about people getting upset at their being racist and wanting to express their racist views on public radio, TV and other media and end up getting fired, boycotted or made fun of. You can say whatever you want where ever you want...just don't be a wimp about dealing with the consequences.

My mother used to say, choose your battles....somethings aren't worth saying, not if they end up hurting the person saying them more....

True that....if you're willing to pay the price....then say whatever you want, just don't complain about the consequences......:)

Always.....:D

So, people should be free to say what they want, as long as they're willing to go to prison or be executed for saying it?

Yep, you're a democrat alright...

And what are you that you don't get it. How many people have gone to prison for saying what they want to say? How many have been executed? Exaggerate much? Yep, you must be a Teabagger.

If you can't stand being boycotted, fired or made fun of, don't say the things that will get those results.....it's easy, not rocket science, but someone may have to explain it to you.

My mother used to say, choose your battles....somethings aren't worth saying.................

And my mother used to say "Boy, you do NOT suffer fools gladly! And she was soooooo right.

So she was saying to you...."you're intolerant"? Thanks for the revelation, but what does that have to do with "feeling free to express yourself"?

I'm the boss. Sometimes it is prudent to attenuate your speech, or suppress it altogether - that is basic, and by choice!
Well, if you are the boss, then you probably can say what you want, but you may not be respected by those employees who may feel different than you do, and they probably won't tell you either, and what exactly do you gain by expressing your beliefs unless you are debating?

You may think that, but our speech is hindered many times. Go to the CDZ and tell someone to "fuck off" and see how quickly you will find out you can't really "always" say what you want.

I won't ever compromise my beliefs, and when someone says something that I really don't believe is true, I don't hesitate to point it out...but most people I know don't go around discussing politics nor religion.

Fear of what? That someone is going to shoot me? It's not fear, it's just common sense. Only fools go around spouting their beliefs thinking they are right and everyone else is wrong and they don't accomplish anything except to look like fools.

Well, then, there is also that matter of what you define as evil. What may be evil to you may not be evil to someone else....and, in this country, the majority get to decide what will be tolerated and what won't.
This thread is ambiguous - do you tell your mother in law she is an old witch even though you might think so? No, because of spousal ramifications; fear!
If I thought she was an old witch and she attacked me I probably would. And there would not be any spousal ramifications because my husband stands by me.

Do you go around telling people they are ugly, fat or stupid just for the sake of free speech? Of course you don't....well, neither would I, but it isn't out of fear. Only a stupid person would go around telling everyone what he/she thought, just for the sake of saying speech is free.

If your beliefs are strong enough, they will trump death; fear irrelevant?
There's only one belief that I would die for before reneging on it, but I'm not willing to die for any other belief....and I bet if your family was at risk over something you would say, you would not be so valiant.

I feel that the liberals want to make illegal any speech that is incongruent to their cause!
Well, your feelings are misguided and you've swallowed a load of crap. That people react to rude and racist remarks is not just libs, it's anyone that has any sense of dignity and what is just and right. And, that they react to it in a way that you may not like is too bad for you. You want to be able to insult people and not suffer any consequences, but those that have the power over you and exercise their right to refute your insults are within their rights.

Sometimes people ask directly about religious, and political views. When they do, I give it to them raw - void of consideration; don't ask me if you don't want the truth. I did have two people in the past year ask me directly if I supported Obama :badgrin:
Well, it seems that you are missing the point. If people ask your opinion, of course you have every right to give it, and they should be able to deal with it....it is a free country after all, but if you go around spouting "I hate Obama" or call him some racist name, don't expect those that disagree with you to just smile and say okay....only the most dimwitted go around spouting their beliefs - nobody really gives a crap what you believe...at least I don't.

As far as evil goes: yours or my interpretation is moot - it is immutable!
Some evil is, but when you start calling women "witches" and burning them because you think they are evil, you are dead wrong....same thing in other situations. You don't get to decide what is evil for everyone in the United States.

I cherish free speech - I am in fear of the liberal attack thereto, so I tell them to go fuck themselves :badgrin:
Well, then you'll have to accept when they tell you to go fuck yourself.:D

Forum List

Back