Do You Know the Value of Stray Cats ?

protectionist

Diamond Member
Oct 20, 2013
There's a wide gap in the way people see stray cats in their neighborhood. Some people hate them and try to get rid of them. Others feed them, make shelter boxes for them with soft towels inside, and even take them to veterinarians.

Lots of people though, from both sides of this spectrum don't realize how valuable stray cats are to them. Few factors in their residence (and businesses) areas do more to reduce the spread of disease and vermin, than these cats. By killing huge numbers of bugs, snakes, and other harmful animals, cats engage in a 24/7 constant pest control service to us, free of charge, that no professional pest control company could ever match, and they do it without any poisonous chemicals.

The biggest and most productive part of this is the containment (repellent) of rats and mice. These nuisances can smell a cat from 100 yards away (length of a football field), and when they do, they will not go there. In the apartment complexes I've lived in, I have never seen a single rat or mouse. But there's always lots of stray cats around. And THAT'S WHY there are no rats. Better to have cats than rats.

The next time you see a bunch of stray cats congregating around outside (typically near trash bins), put some dry cat food out on a paper plate or two for them, along with a small bowl of water. In my complex, we not only feed our little pals, we take them to veterianarians to be spayed and neutered also, so they don't overpopulate. It's good to have some of them around, but not too many.

In a few cases, the homeless cats are not all feral ones (born outside wild). Some are former housecats which were abandoned by callous owners who just dumped them out, and these cats will come right to you and let you pet them. If you can, you might take one or two of them in and make them your pet (take them to vet first). I did that and it's one of the best things I ever did.

Also, whenever feeding them take some precautions to put their food where they won't get run over by cars, since some drivers are careless, and cats are distracted when they're eating.

Don't forget they reduce the squirrel population

If people only realized how much damage squirrels do to power, phone and cable lines, laws would be placed on the books requiring everyone to own a cat.

A few years back our local electric company reported that 20% of all outages that year were directly related to squirrel activity.

Glad we are on the same side on this.

We have always put out food for stray and feral cats.

Don't forget they reduce the squirrel population

If people only realized how much damage squirrels do to power, phone and cable lines, laws would be placed on the books requiring everyone to own a cat.

A few years back our local electric company reported that 20% of all outages that year were directly related to squirrel activity.

Get a gas-powered generator, and keep it ouside with a wire running into the house. Put some foul-tasting jelly on the wire to repel the squirrels.

If you have ferel cats, you have no snakes or rats.

Or palmetto bugs. In Florida, they are similar to cockroaches, only about 5 times bigger. Unlike the smaller roaches, palmettos are outside bugs. When one of them gets in my apartment (it happens to everyone occasionally), it doesn't take long for one or all of my 3 cats to find it. At that point, one word describes the palmetto bug > DOOM.

There's a wide gap in the way people see stray cats in their neighborhood. Some people hate them and try to get rid of them. Others feed them, make shelter boxes for them with soft towels inside, and even take them to veterinarians.

Lots of people though, from both sides of this spectrum don't realize how valuable stray cats are to them. Few factors in their residence (and businesses) areas do more to reduce the spread of disease and vermin, than these cats. By killing huge numbers of bugs, snakes, and other harmful animals, cats engage in a 24/7 constant pest control service to us, free of charge, that no professional pest control company could ever match, and they do it without any poisonous chemicals.

The biggest and most productive part of this is the containment (repellent) of rats and mice. These nuisances can smell a cat from 100 yards away (length of a football field), and when they do, they will not go there. In the apartment complexes I've lived in, I have never seen a single rat or mouse. But there's always lots of stray cats around. And THAT'S WHY there are no rats. Better to have cats than rats.

The next time you see a bunch of stray cats congregating around outside (typically near trash bins), put some dry cat food out on a paper plate or two for them, along with a small bowl of water. In my complex, we not only feed our little pals, we take them to veterianarians to be spayed and neutered also, so they don't overpopulate. It's good to have some of them around, but not too many.

In a few cases, the homeless cats are not all feral ones (born outside wild). Some are former housecats which were abandoned by callous owners who just dumped them out, and these cats will come right to you and let you pet them. If you can, you might take one or two of them in and make them your pet (take them to vet first). I did that and it's one of the best things I ever did.

Also, whenever feeding them take some precautions to put their food where they won't get run over by cars, since some drivers are careless, and cats are distracted when they're eating.

Strays control the rodent population. When the Plague was ravaging Europe, people's irrational fear and extermination of cats only sealed their own fate since what was keeping the plague in check now unfolded in earnest.

and what do feral cats do to the wild birds?

America’s cats, including housecats that adventure outdoors and feral cats, kill between 1.3 billion and 4.0 billion birds in a year, says Peter Marra of the Smithsonian Conservation Biology Institute in Washington, D.C., who led the team that performed the analysis. Previous estimates of bird kills have varied, he says, but “500 million is a number that has been thrown around a lot.”

https://www.sciencenews.org/article/cats-kill-more-one-billion-birds-each-year

'feeding stations' for feral cats....work well.....till the cats get a disease and it wipes out the whole colony or group...

i still think the answer if mandatory spraying and all......for all dogs and cats period for at least 10 years....from show animals down to pet quality

and what do feral cats do to the wild birds?

America’s cats, including housecats that adventure outdoors and feral cats, kill between 1.3 billion and 4.0 billion birds in a year, says Peter Marra of the Smithsonian Conservation Biology Institute in Washington, D.C., who led the team that performed the analysis. Previous estimates of bird kills have varied, he says, but “500 million is a number that has been thrown around a lot.”

https://www.sciencenews.org/article/cats-kill-more-one-billion-birds-each-year

'feeding stations' for feral cats....work well.....till the cats get a disease and it wipes out the whole colony or group...

i still think the answer if mandatory spraying and all......for all dogs and cats period for at least 10 years....from show animals down to pet quality

I don't believe these goofy sounding claims of Marra and others like him. I've watched stray cats for years. They just don't kill birds, period. You never see dead birds around, or their feathers. At least around where I live, the cats only kill lizards, large bugs, and occasionally snakes. I'd say more cats (kittens) are killed by birds (hawks and owls) than birds killed by cats, and that doesn't happen much either.

I honestly believe cats are the world's most perfect animal. I've always had cats, rescued, fostered and placed cats and kittens. I used to believe that ferals should be trapped and put down. I believed that because, if they're not cared for, they can fall prey to disease, dogs, idiot kids, traffic and assholes like this one:

Hmmmm...what're .22 rounds going for these days?

What I have come to however is that if they are altered and if people do feed them, their colonies become very stable and they cease hunting for birds and other wildlife to subsist on.

I have to admit that TNR works.

Trap, Neuter, Release.

Just make sure the vet also notches an ear so you don't end up trying to do surgery again!

As for the asshole quoted above, we all need to be aware that slime like this exists. Its against the law in most towns and cities to shoot other people's pets but anyone who would shoot the neighbor's cat or dog would also poison them. Indeed, some prefer poison because they like knowing the animal suffers.

I once had a cat get out. He was gone for a while and when he came back, he had a shiny liquid on his back. It turned out that an especially sick bastard in the neighborhood was spraying antifreeze on any animals he could find. its a horrible way to die - causes the kidney to crystallize. He was caught but I'm sure he's back to his vile poisoning again. I wonder how many children he has killed.

Keep your cats inside.

Forum List

Back