Do you shop at Walmart?

Do you shop at Walmart?

• Yes

Votes: 78 61.9%
  • No

Votes: 48 38.1%

• Total voters
Well let's see, shall we?

Because they can, and think it's the shorter path to employees they need not fear, as much.

Just in case ANYONE believed a word of your bullshit about being an executive....

I don't "fear" my employees, I recognize the liability they represent. Any businessman does, executive or business owner. If I hire the wrong person, I incur wasted time training them, and possible repercussions when I fire them. Just because someone has a criminal record doesn't mean I won't hire them, but they will have to explain to me what happened.

The rising hardship resulting from business lobbying success, might be creating some meaness out there. Folks might steal from us. Plus HR depts, too, like the sense they're needed and doing good work.

You're either a communist, opps community organizer, or a Union pimp. You're no executive.

What makes it possible is the internet, shit fer brains.

So, you're one of those "executives" who hates profits, then?

ROFL - frauds are so easy...

Bodies are not equal to qualified people.

Really? Kool - I'm bringing on a new cost accountant - I'll let her know that I don't have to pay her the $80k she asked for, some troll on the internet said she would take any salary I offer. I'll offer $10K

Ah, so you ARE a union thug - COLA is not used outside of unions.

So why did you lie about being an executive? Do you think you appear more credible if people believed you?

You have little education, that is clear. Tell me, why should corporations be taxed at all? If I buy stock in Apple, and they pay me a dividend, I have to pay taxes on it - why should the same money be double taxed? Either eliminate corporate taxes or capital gains - double dipping is anti-American. (But favored by communists,)

That is contradictory - when wages fall, employment numbers rise.

Really comrade? I hadn't heard that overtime was abolished. Do you have a link?

and clever new businesses that sell our employees ways to fund their own retirements and healthcare. And if workers are lower paid, and their savings are gone, make credit available. That'll keep the great unwashed in stores and buying shit, for a while, anyway. Then find other markets we can exploit.

You know comrade, virtually every 401K I've been exposed to has a matching component.

How'd I do?

You proved that you've never held an executive position and have very little education. I assume you come from construction and are higher up in the union.

Not a shocker. While I hate to rain on your parade, the righty nonsense blinding you is nothing new, and I've heard it from many before.

How many people have actually risen from poverty to the board room as you say?

My guess is not too many so using that as a yardstick is silly.

I did. Do you want to know what it really takes? I'll be happy to tell you.

You didn't answer the question.

And I chose to work for myself rather than someone else so you don't have to lecture me about what it takes.

I did answer the question, did you miss it?

Worry not. Ron Paul is leaving his cushy guvmint job where all he had to do was whine about his employer.

Brighter days ahead.

Thank you for totally missing the point being made.

Nah; I got it. :)

The thing is, we all depend on government, none more so than businesses. Schools, largely funded by home owners, educate our work force. Roads and transit bring our workers to and from the jobsite, our products to market, and customer to our doorstep. Food assitance keep folks coming into our grocery stores. Gravy abounds, if you're paying attention, which the more successful companies do, religiously.

You are confusing social contract with government assistance. And I'm not going to take the time to educate you about that because somehow I don't think you would be open to the lesson. But Benjamin Franklin summed up what the core principle should be: we should be focused on leading or driving people out of poverty rather than encouraging it by making people comfortable in it.

And refocusing on Wal-mart, a lot of folks would have a hard time supporting a family on entry level Wal-mart wages. But a job at Wal-mart does pay a wage commensurate with the education and skill level required to do the work and it gives tens of thousands of folks an opportunity to acquire a work ethic, experience, marketable skills, and references for greater things. And tens of thousands enjoy working at Wal-mart enough to stay and make it their career.

Again, I simply don't understand a mentality that finds that something to criticize and attack.

I hadn't been to Walmart since the 2nd week in September--50 % off on solar lights. That weekend I went to two one 15 minutes from my house the other a 30 minute expressway trip. Smooth sailing--I got what I wanted for the price I wanted and left--no problems.

Today I wanted a 5 Guys Hamburger located in the Walmart shopping center. Traffic was incredible --someone was pulling out of a space in front of 5 Guys--that was good. I got the hamburger and left---long line sitting/waiting ----I started to back up. A jerk in a little white T-shirt was walking behind the cars---screamed at me and I screamed back. 'What did you call me?' I said the bad words again-so he said a few to me. My dog began barking hysterically--16lbs lbs but very protective of the car and me. Rolled up the window --he would not stop harassing me.

Walmart shoppers are diverse. I don't care for that particular model. Lots of Hispanics shop there--the International Corridor/Chamblee is minutes away. Sometimes when you pull in the police cars are there---taking people away. At this Walmart customers aren't allowed to check themselves out. You must drive 30-45 minutes north on the expressway to reach a Walmart that allows self check-out.

Do I plan to hurry back to the closest Walmart? The chances are real good that they will not see me at all this year. Let the Jerk provide economic support. If you cannot handle the responsibilities of a pedestrian then just stay home. Walk between cars in a parking lot at your own peril---once children were taught this. I can only assume that he has 'challenges'--makes many poor decisions?

The thing is, we all depend on government, none more so than businesses. Schools, largely funded by home owners, educate our work force. Roads and transit bring our workers to and from the jobsite, our products to market, and customer to our doorstep. Food assitance keep folks coming into our grocery stores. Gravy abounds, if you're paying attention, which the more successful companies do, religiously.

You are confusing social contract with government assistance. And I'm not going to take the time to educate you about that because somehow I don't think you would be open to the lesson. But Benjamin Franklin summed up what the core principle should be: we should be focused on leading or driving people out of poverty rather than encouraging it by making people comfortable in it.

And refocusing on Wal-mart, a lot of folks would have a hard time supporting a family on entry level Wal-mart wages. But a job at Wal-mart does pay a wage commensurate with the education and skill level required to do the work and it gives tens of thousands of folks an opportunity to acquire a work ethic, experience, marketable skills, and references for greater things. And tens of thousands enjoy working at Wal-mart enough to stay and make it their career.

Again, I simply don't understand a mentality that finds that something to criticize and attack.

Gotcha. Then I won't waste time trying to help you understand, and beg you helping me understand.

What social contract?

What about Franklin appeals to you beyond well-grounded structures that are not burned down by lightning strikes, discovering the gulf stream, etc.?

What happens when companies who depend on customers with living wages, as Walmart, Home Depot, etc. do, and who employ an increasing percentage of our workforce, pay sub-living wages? Parasites that exploit a market and diminish it? Or something else?

Gotcha. Then I won't waste time trying to help you understand, and beg you helping me understand.

What social contract?

What about Franklin appeals to you beyond well-grounded structures that are not burned down by lightning strikes, discovering the gulf stream, etc.?

What happens when companies who depend on customers with living wages, as Walmart, Home Depot, etc. do, and who employ an increasing percentage of our workforce, pay sub-living wages? Parasites that exploit a market and diminish it? Or something else?

Nobody forces anybody to work at Wal-mart. I presume those who do work there chose to work there and wanted the job. It is because of businesses like Wal-mart who do what is necessary to keep prices affordable that allows people like the people who work for Wal-mart to afford some of the gpod things of life.

And the fact that you ask 'what social contract' says to me that you don't understand the difference between social contract and government subsidy. Companies like Wal-mart do understand that. Probably most of the folks who work at Wal-mart do too. Only those who exalt and revere government chose not to understand that or blow it off as irrelevent.

Statiss who put all their faith in the king/government to take care of all their needs and some of their wants will always resent companies like Wal-mart and will try to destroy them to make people even more dependent on government. Only commerce and industry who behavve as they think government should behave are acceptable and praiseworthy. But God help us when they finally manage to destroy the Wal-mart concept and force us all to live under governnment generosity. That hasn't worked out well for anybody but top government dictators and their henchmen anywhere it has been tried.

Not a shocker. While I hate to rain on your parade, the righty nonsense blinding you is nothing new, and I've heard it from many before.

You hear it every time you lie about being an executive?

Not exclusively; in fact, only on rare occassions do I mention it.

Generally, knowledge of business processes clues-in folks who are somewhat objective. Care to test me? If so, ask away.

Generally, knowledge of business processes clues-in folks who are somewhat objective. Care to test me? If so, ask away.

No need to test you, you're a union goon. You fool no one. You don't give a shit about Walmart workers, you seek to increase the monopoly power of the unions. You're a parasite.

What social contract?

Nobody forces anybody to work at Wal-mart. I presume those who do work there chose to work there and wanted the job. It is because of businesses like Wal-mart who do what is necessary to keep prices affordable that allows people like the people who work for Wal-mart to afford some of the gpod things of life.

And the fact that you ask 'what social contract' says to me that you don't understand the difference between social contract and government subsidy. Companies like Wal-mart do understand that. Probably most of the folks who work at Wal-mart do too. Only those who exalt and revere government chose not to understand that or blow it off as irrelevent.

Statiss who put all their faith in the king/government to take care of all their needs and some of their wants will always resent companies like Wal-mart and will try to destroy them to make people even more dependent on government. Only commerce and industry who behavve as they think government should behave are acceptable and praiseworthy. But God help us when they finally manage to destroy the Wal-mart concept and force us all to live under governnment generosity. That hasn't worked out well for anybody but top government dictators and their henchmen anywhere it has been tried.

Try to stay with me (and you). I'm still wondering about that social contract. It's anything that is not a government subsidy? Or do you have some specifics on it?

And yes; I understand that employment is a voluntary thing, since outlawing indentured servitude. No need to go into depth there.

And any thoughts you might have on the other questions, greatly appreciated, but also voluntary, obviously.

No need to test you, you're a union goon. You fool no one. You don't give a shit about Walmart workers, you seek to increase the monopoly power of the unions. You're a parasite.

C'mon; don't sell yourself short. You can do it. Perhaps general accounting questions? Or maybe steps involved in acquiring other companies, with some detail on the due diligence process? Or is that pitching underhand? You got something real tricky, maybe? Or perhaps your "Cost Accountant" does? ;) ;)

I hadn't been to Walmart since the 2nd week in September--50 % off on solar lights. That weekend I went to two one 15 minutes from my house the other a 30 minute expressway trip. Smooth sailing--I got what I wanted for the price I wanted and left--no problems.

Today I wanted a 5 Guys Hamburger located in the Walmart shopping center. Traffic was incredible --someone was pulling out of a space in front of 5 Guys--that was good. I got the hamburger and left---long line sitting/waiting ----I started to back up. A jerk in a little white T-shirt was walking behind the cars---screamed at me and I screamed back. 'What did you call me?' I said the bad words again-so he said a few to me. My dog began barking hysterically--16lbs lbs but very protective of the car and me. Rolled up the window --he would not stop harassing me.

Walmart shoppers are diverse. I don't care for that particular model. Lots of Hispanics shop there--the International Corridor/Chamblee is minutes away. Sometimes when you pull in the police cars are there---taking people away. At this Walmart customers aren't allowed to check themselves out. You must drive 30-45 minutes north on the expressway to reach a Walmart that allows self check-out.

Do I plan to hurry back to the closest Walmart? The chances are real good that they will not see me at all this year. Let the Jerk provide economic support. If you cannot handle the responsibilities of a pedestrian then just stay home. Walk between cars in a parking lot at your own peril---once children were taught this. I can only assume that he has 'challenges'--makes many poor decisions?

He may have been an idiot for walking where he did, but you were an idiot for not watching for a pedestrian. They do have the right of way, you know...
Then you compound your idiocy by cussing at him, thereby escalating the situation into something that could have resulted in physical violence.
I don't see why this would cause you to not shop at Wal-Mart, unless perhaps, you are too embarrassed to be seen there after your performance today.

Just reading this at Huffpo and looking at the comments. Made me wonder if people who disapprove of Walmart still shop there.

Walmart's Internal Compensation Documents Reveal Systematic Limit On Advancement

I would shop at Walmart I just don't. Target is right around the corner from me and I prefer target.

And that is why Target is in business. They provide products and a shopping experience that some people enjoy and prefer to other shopping experiences. That is why Wal-mart is in business. They provide products and a shopping experience that other people enjoy and prefer to other shopping experiences. I don't go to Sears if I can get what I want at Wal-mart because I am more likely to be in Wal-mart in the first place--I don't visit either more than a very few times each year--but if I can't find what I want at Wal-mart I go to Sears. I don't trade at Target much ever since they banned the Salvation Army bell ringers, but I wouldn't not go there if they have what I need and nobody else does.

The reason the mom and pop stores go out of business when the big box stores come in is because the people prefer shopping at the big box stores either for quantity, selection, convenience or price. If they did not, the big box stores wouldn't affect the mom and pop stores.

American retailing has been changing with the times, products available, and public needs, wants, and prefereces since the first Americans began coming here. One day we probably won't have mom and pop stores and will have all big box stores.

And then some entreprenour will open a little shop that offers a warm smile, personal attention, savvy employees who go the extra mile to provide expert information and counsel and a custom touch, and voila. A whole new American enterprise will be born: the mom and pop specialty store!

Last edited:

What social contract?

If Wal-Mart paid what you consider a fair wage, you couldn't afford to shop there.

What social contract?

If Wal-Mart paid what you consider a fair wage, you couldn't afford to shop there.

Why? What's the labor-cost factor in Walmart's minimum margin calculation? And if that were double, the precentage rise in the end-user price? Do you know, or even have educated guess?

Or is it easier to simply look at times the FMW was increased signficantly? (=/> 30%) and; then overall effect on inflation, if any at all? (tip: inflation has increased about as often as it decreased, when the FMW goes up significantly; ergo, no effect, or an effect so minimal as to be eclipsed by the main driving factors in inflation, i.e. commodity prices and monetary policy.)

Once again, you have demonstrated that Mr Foxfyre is a very smart man

Huh, in which reality do you reside? Your self righteous indignation of the 47% is disgusting.

The reality iof we are all responsible to our selves.
If one is dissatisfied with their station, they are free to choose other options. Such as going to school, learning a trade or skill. It's very simple. And lots of people do exactly that.
They don't sit on their dead asses and whine like six year olds that they didn't get their cookies.

And those who don't plan for a changing society, economy, and trends are the ones who get left behind. Such as many small shop owners who thought that their customers would be forever loyal and they didn't have to adjust with the times.

So there remain only one or two buggy factories building the few used as tourist attractions and for special celebrations or exhibits instead of the many hundreds that existed before the automobile made them obsolete. Should we hate the big three for putting all those carriage, buggy whip, and wagon manufacturers, and all the businesses who supplied parts for them, out of business? How about modern refrigeration shutting down thousands of ice plants that made and delivered the big blocks of ice used in old fashioned ice boxes? And each city has only one or two great bakeries supplying custom cakes and confections instead of the dozens or hundreds that existed before modern automation could turn out Twinkies and Oreos by the tens of thousands in a fraction of the time and at a cheaper cost and the big grocery stores filled the needs of most for fresh baked goods

For better or worse the world doesn't stand still for us.

Wal-mart recognized and adjusted to the trend, but it isn't Wal-mart's fault that it is so.
For the record, the first anti Walmart story I read which was probably 20 years ago, dealt with Walmart's decision to cut out the product distributors. Previously, all retailers went through distributors( the middle man ,if you will) to buy their merchandise. Walmart revolutionized retailing by going directly to the manufacturers to buy merchandise.
Of course this brought howls of protest from distributors and other retailers.
Walmart's approach was " we are going to be the world's largest retailer. If you want your stuff on our shelves, you will sell it to us directly."....And that was the end of the "middle man" in discount retailing.

I say there is going to be some opening at wal-marts.....good deal my stepson needs a job.

Good luck to him. It's easy to get a job there: fill out an application online and take the online pre-test. Then if he scores sufficiently online, they'll group interview him. If that goes well they make an offer, at a buck or two north of minimum wage, if he's lucky and a stronger than average candidate.

Then just sign off on the privacy waiver, so they can back check criminal history, credit scores and whatever else they wish to look into, while your stepson hightails it over to the clinic to get a drug-test.

Just a few easy steps and removal of all privacy rights for a shit-pay job. Your stepson should be so lucky, and I have my fingers crossed he'll be stocking shelves soon.

Godbless the USA.
Oh stop whining. Employers have a vested interest in screening out the dregs.

Forum List

Back