Do you shop at Walmart?

Do you shop at Walmart?

• Yes

Votes: 78 61.9%
  • No

Votes: 48 38.1%

• Total voters
The argument that they are driving competing Mom & Pop stores out of business doesn't make sense to me,

1) it's like saying they are driving the horse and buggy people out of business. Do we want government to say no to Walmart and yes to a Mom and Pop that then becomes the biggest and drives the smaller Mom and Pops out i that area???

2) Walmart is a boom to the 1,000's who immediately apply for work there as well as the surrounding town that gets to absorb all the extra money around because of WalMarts low prices.

No amount of logic is going to counteract the irrational perceptions of the anti Walmart crowd.

You have a problem with cheap? If I can buy a DVD at Walmart for $5 that I would pay $12 for at Amazon, I consider myself fortunate. And if I can buy a replacement TV for our kitchennook at Walmart for 30% or more less than I can buy the same product at Best Buy, I also consider myself fortunate. The advantage the specialty big box stores have over Walmart is that they specialize and therefore can offer a larger selection and, on occasion, even deeper discounts on some products.

Back during WWII, my great aunt, widowed fairly young with four girls to raise, owned and operated a general store in a tiny little town in New Mexico. She offered everything from sewing fabric to tractor tire repair kits to hardware to groceries. Because she was big enough to withstand the risk, she was able to offer credit that others couldn't. But because she could not carry large selections of anything due to space limitations, speciality stores existed alongside of her impressive business. She was the Walmart of her day and amassed quite a nest egg in the process. When the war ended, the neaby base closed, and the guys were returning home from overseas to start up their own businesses, and she closed the store, bought a farm in West Texas and lived quite comfortably for the rest of her life.

'Walmart is not a specialty store which is why it offers no serious competition to the successful specialty stores. Walmart is a big general store with the same appeal that such stores have offered for two hundred years in this country.

And American commerce is thriving just fine alongside Walmart as it has thrived competing with general stores over the decades.

"Cheap" in the context I used it means "flimsy, haphazardly thrown together". It specifically referred to the Mal-Wart PR story.

For this specific post, I received the following:

Hi, you have received -1527 reputation points from Warrior102.
Reputation was given for this post.

Comment:
Fuck off

Regards,
Warrior102

Note: This is an automated message.

He does this every time his 48-hour limit from the last Neg expires. Even though there's no exchange taking place between us.
So I think we can put the question of who owns "anger" to rest by now.

Many a small town has had its commercial base saved by the presence of a Walmart that keeps folks home instead of them driving to the nearby city to shop. And in the city, Walmarts are almost always anchor stores in the shopping centers they occupy.

I have yet to see the former, ever. As for the latter, again I'll speak to the one I know by experience, on Tchoupitoulas in New Orleans, where the Mal-Wart is the only thing in its own space, so that doesn't apply either. There's nothing there getting "anchored" at all. And once again, any "barnacle" stores would need the same kind of clientele anyway -- that would mean I dunno, Dollar General and Burger King?

Sorry but every Mal-Wart location I know of directly contradicts this PR pipe dream. Can you provide any actual examples of this abstraction?

go to google maps...use these coordinates....35.139274,-80.733474..
The large building at this location is a Walmart. All of the other buildings surrounding the parking lot were built AFTER the walmart. These are specialty shops and restaurants. All retail and business space is occupied.
Here's another......
35.213359,-80.689217
and another.... The land to the left is owned by the developer of the Walmart property. It is actually under construction right now.
43.320128,-73.612702
So please, maybe in New Orleans things aren't going so well. Try not to limit your world to what makes you secure.

Last edited:
How about we put it this way?

I shop wherever I can find the items I want at the price I want to pay. If that's a local specialty store, then fine. If that's WalMart, then it is.

I don't shop as a charitable act, or a political statement; I shop to stock my house with the items my family and I need and want to live our lives. If a small store wants my business, they'd better be smart enough to acquire it by providing me something I need, rather than essentially begging me for a handout or trying to play on my guilt. I don't waste time with guilt in general, and I'll be damned if I feel guilty over someone I don't know and don't owe anything to.

I don't feel embarrassed or ashamed on those occasions when I shop at WalMart, either because I've been intimidated into believing I "owe" it to other stores to shop there, or because I'm self-consciously assuring myself that I'm too good to shop around such rabble. I automatically assume I'm better than everyone around me, anyway, so I don't give it much thought.

Lastly, I don't worry about "keeping my money local", for two reasons: first, I have no idea what happens to my money after it leaves my wallet, nor is it any of my business. Maybe the owner of the local mom-and-pop is sending that cash to relatives in another state, or another country. Second, the WalMart I'm shopping at is located in my community; yeah, it's owned by a corporation headquartered in Oklahoma, if I remember correctly. So what? The employees in the store are my neighbors. They spend their paychecks in my community. The store I'm shopping in pays taxes in my community, wherever their headquarters happens to be. And when it comes time to support charities, be it the Salvation Army bell ringer at Christmas or the Girl Scout troop selling cookies or whatever, that store in my community is supporting charities in my community.

And finally, if you don't want to shop somewhere, don't. But it's none of your damned business where I shop, and it's not your place to decide where I "should" shop, or to decide what shopping choices are available to me.

What is it with people in this society today that they insist on voting in elections for which they haven't been issued a ballot?

"Cheap" in the context I used it means "flimsy, haphazardly thrown together". It specifically referred to the Mal-Wart PR story.

He does this every time his 48-hour limit from the last Neg expires. Even though there's no exchange taking place between us.

Many a small town has had its commercial base saved by the presence of a Walmart that keeps folks home instead of them driving to the nearby city to shop. And in the city, Walmarts are almost always anchor stores in the shopping centers they occupy.

I have yet to see the former, ever. As for the latter, again I'll speak to the one I know by experience, on Tchoupitoulas in New Orleans, where the Mal-Wart is the only thing in its own space, so that doesn't apply either. There's nothing there getting "anchored" at all. And once again, any "barnacle" stores would need the same kind of clientele anyway -- that would mean I dunno, Dollar General and Burger King?

Sorry but every Mal-Wart location I know of directly contradicts this PR pipe dream. Can you provide any actual examples of this abstraction?

The large building at this location is a Walmart. All of the other buildings surrounding the parking lot were built AFTER the walmart. These are specialty shops and restaurants. All retail and business space is occupied.
Here's another......
35.213359,-80.689217
and another.... The land to the left is owned by the developer of the Walmart property. It is actually under construction right now.
43.320128,-73.612702
So please, maybe in New Orleans things aren't going so well. Try not to limit your world to what makes you secure.

Has nothing to do with "what makes me feel secure" -- it has to do with what I know, because I wouldn't presume to talk about what I don't. I cite real-life examples I'm directly and thoroughly familiar with. That's it.

But let me put the same sentiments an entirely different way: I avoid Mal-Wart because to go in there makes me feel that I'm cheating somebody I know, and enabling somebody I don't know to cheat people I do know. I do believe choices have consequences, and there are those entities who I'd rather my choices not enable if I'm not forced to. And I'm fortunate enough to not be forced to go to Mal-Wart most of the time -- so I don't. Hope that's simple enough.

Here's another......
35.213359,-80.689217
43.320128,-73.612702

Has nothing to do with "what makes me feel secure" -- it has to do with what I know, because I wouldn't presume to talk about what I don't. I cite real-life examples I'm directly and thoroughly familiar with. That's it.

But let me put the same sentiments an entirely different way: I avoid Mal-Wart because to go in there makes me feel that I'm cheating somebody I know, and enabling somebody I don't know to cheat people I do know. I do believe choices have consequences, and there are those entities who I'd rather my choices not enable if I'm not forced to. And I'm fortunate enough to not be forced to go to Mal-Wart most of the time -- so I don't. Hope that's simple enough.

You feel how you feel. And if you prefer to shop somewhere other than Walmart, well that's what freedom looks like. Obviously everybody doesn't shop at Walmart as evidenced by all the other businesses that are thriving despite the fact that there are successful Walmarts all over the country. There is absolutely nothing wrong with not shopping at Walmart.

But those who think they are somehow being noble or honorable or doing their duty by not shopping at Walmart are at worst hypocritical unless they hold everybody to the same standard. But assuming that they really believe Walmart is evil, in my opinion it at best makes them a willing subject of the organized anti-Walmart propaganda campaign.

Here's another......
35.213359,-80.689217
43.320128,-73.612702

Conversely, couldn't you say that you are cheating the people who work at WM by not shopping there?

I live in a town of about 4500 people. Wal Mart is the main place to shop.I own an auto repair shop . We were a little nervous when the new Super Center first opened 20 years ago that they would take some of our business.

Ends up, they took little, if any. Yes their tire prices are less than ours, just as an example. But my customers prefer doing business with me and spending a few extra dollars to be sure that they get the same service I would give my own mother or wife. Something they don't get at Wal Mart.

It's the same reason that when we go out to eat we eat at a local mom and pop instead of McDonalds, for instance, sure it costs a few more dollars but the difference is the mom and pop has figured out how to leverage service into the equation to keep their customer base.

and their hamburgers just taste better.

Here's another......
35.213359,-80.689217
43.320128,-73.612702

Conversely, couldn't you say that you are cheating the people who work at WM by not shopping there?

I live in a town of about 4500 people. Wal Mart is the main place to shop.I own an auto repair shop . We were a little nervous when the new Super Center first opened 20 years ago that they would take some of our business.

Ends up, they took little, if any. Yes their tire prices are less than ours, just as an example. But my customers prefer doing business with me and spending a few extra dollars to be sure that they get the same service I would give my own mother or wife. Something they don't get at Wal Mart.

It's the same reason that when we go out to eat we eat at a local mom and pop instead of McDonalds, for instance, sure it costs a few more dollars but the difference is the mom and pop has figured out how to leverage service into the equation to keep their customer base.

And there you've hit the nail on the head. You provide a service that isn't available in the big box stores. And because Walmart is keeping more folks home to shop instead of the same folks driving to the bigger commercial centers, more small mom and pop businesses are able to thrive even as some are unable to compete.

Our American railroads severely damaged themselves and almost destroyed themselves by foolishly thinking they were in the railroad business instead of understanding that they were in the transportation business. By not figuring that out and adapting their prices and services to accommodate the nation's growing need for transportation, they lost a huge market share both in transporting freight and passengers. Some of that they have never recouped.

If you think your business is running an auto repair shop, you're probably screwed. If you know your business is providing a reassuring and competent and people friendly service at an affordable price, you will likely be successful in business forever.

And there you've hit the nail on the head. You provide a service that isn't available in the big box stores. And because Walmart is keeping more folks home to shop instead of the same folks driving to the bigger commercial centers, more small mom and pop businesses are able to thrive even as some are unable to compete.

Our American railroads severely damaged themselves and almost destroyed themselves by foolishly thinking they were in the railroad business instead of understanding that they were in the transportation business. By not figuring that out and adapting their prices and services to accommodate the nation's growing need for transportation, they lost a huge market share both in transporting freight and passengers. Some of that they have never recouped.

If you think your business is running an auto repair shop, you're probably screwed. If you know your business is providing a reassuring and competent and people friendly service at an affordable price, you will likely be successful in business forever.

My dad started this business when I was 12 years old. after college and a stint in the Army I partnered up with him, we now have customers who's grandparents started doing business with dad way back when. That's customer loyalty, well earned IMO

My dad started this business when I was 12 years old. after college and a stint in the Army I partnered up with him, we now have customers who's grandparents started doing business with dad way back when. That's customer loyalty, well earned IMO

What customers or people want does not matter to liberals!!! They feel free, in their ego manical way, to direct every aspect of human life as they see fit. This is why they loved Stalin so much!!

What customers or people want does not matter to liberals!!! They feel free, in their ego manical way, to direct every aspect of human life as they see fit. This is why they loved Stalin so much!!

Hyperbole much? Even joes mom thought he was an asshole

You know the point hit home where it hurts when there is no attempt to rebut it with anything other than insult and/or demonization of the member making it. :)

Here's another......
35.213359,-80.689217
43.320128,-73.612702

Cheating people? How so?

Here's another......
35.213359,-80.689217
43.320128,-73.612702

30 plus years ago, a K Mart opened a store in a nearby town. The store was slated to have an auto shop. The local auto shop owners went to the town government, fought the shop and won. Why? They were fearful the K Mart would take away their business. An irrational fear as it turned out. K-Mart decided not to battle the town and instead expanded the building materials dept. Back then, home improvement stores such as Lowes and Home Depot did not exist. There was a local chain "Rickles" which was a HI store. However, none were reasonably close by.
So K Mart's loss was it's gain. Smart people.

But let me put the same sentiments an entirely different way: I avoid Mal-Wart because to go in there makes me feel that I'm cheating somebody I know, and enabling somebody I don't know to cheat people I do know.

What if a couple of your friends worked at Walmart? Even the people who aren't your friends that work at Walmart, when their paychecks are deposited where do you think they spend their money? Right in your community like everyone else?

Here's another......
35.213359,-80.689217
43.320128,-73.612702

You feel how you feel. And if you prefer to shop somewhere other than Walmart, well that's what freedom looks like. Obviously everybody doesn't shop at Walmart as evidenced by all the other businesses that are thriving despite the fact that there are successful Walmarts all over the country. There is absolutely nothing wrong with not shopping at Walmart.

I agree completely. That's why it's interesting that that sentiment was met with "stick in his ass" and "fucking retard". It would seem not all of our countrymen believe that.

But those who think they are somehow being noble or honorable or doing their duty by not shopping at Walmart are at worst hypocritical unless they hold everybody to the same standard. But assuming that they really believe Walmart is evil, in my opinion it at best makes them a willing subject of the organized anti-Walmart propaganda campaign.

And why would I not hold others to the same standard? This thread is about Mal-Wart, so that's what I addressed. Had it been about, say, Starbucks, I could cut and paste most of the same reasoning to make similar points, but it's not. Nobody said this applies to Mal-Wart and nobody else. It's all about their behaviour.

Here's another......
35.213359,-80.689217
43.320128,-73.612702

Not at all, because my shopping will be done somewhere else and they will benefit. Mal-Wart's employees are at the mercy of the corp anyway; no matter how much I might buy there it's not going to improve their lot as long as their employer takes the attitude toward them that it does. OTOH, shopping at XYZ Store will help to keep them healthy, which helps their employees keep their jobs so they are not forced to work at Mal-Wart.

After this though I agree with the rest of your post and feel the same way...

Last edited:

Hyperbole much? Even joes mom thought he was an asshole

It's all he does. Only Special Ed could take a thread about Wal-Mart and twist it into Stalin with a side of "liberals". If you asked him what the weather is he'd find a way to make rain into a liberal plot. "Baiamontean logic" is like "Sushi french fry". Oxymoronic.

I agree completely. That's why it's interesting that that sentiment was met with "stick in his ass" and "fucking retard". It would seem not all of our countrymen believe that.

And why would I not hold others to the same standard? This thread is about Mal-Wart, so that's what I addressed. Had it been about, say, Starbucks, I could cut and paste most of the same reasoning to make similar points, but it's not. Nobody said this applies to Mal-Wart and nobody else. It's all about their behaviour.

Unless you tell me that you ask every proprietor you visit how much he/she pays his/her employees, what benefits they offer, where does he get the merchandise and guarantee that it isn't made in China or wherever, and you refuse to buy from anybody who doesn't meet the standards you apply to Walmart, then you are attacking Walmart for reasons other than the more 'noble' ones you seem to want us to believe.

It's all he does. Only Special Ed could take a thread about Wal-Mart and twist it into Stalin with a side of "liberals".

1) so then why not explain why the liberals spied for Stalin a communist?

2) why not explain why they hate Walmart, a very very successful capitalist enterprise that is not very different from many many other very successful capitalist enterprises.

3) Why not explain why Obama, also communist (2 communist parents,voted to left of Bernie Sanders) used socialism rather than capitalism to fix the health care industry ??

Do the libturds really want to take over WalMart too! Where do the liberals like capitalism? Anywhere? Ever heard one defend it?? It seems clear they are communists but are afraid to use the word!!

Last edited:

Forum List

Back