🌟 Exclusive 2024 Prime Day Deals! 🌟

Unlock unbeatable offers today. Shop here: https://amzn.to/4cEkqYs 🎁

Do you think schools should be opened for the Fall?

Notsurprised

Rookie
Jun 11, 2020
I'm scared to send my 12 year old daughter to school this fall because she has an immune deficiency. I homeschooled her for 3 years, then took her back to regular school only because of the lack of social skills that everyone kept talking to me about and which I thought was silly. Well, I was shocked to see that everyone was right about the importance of social skills. My daughter didn't know how to act and tried too hard to make friends. First, she tried to fit in with the bad kids and got beat up, then her class got switched and there she tried hard too impress the other kids by lying and showing off and she got beat up again but this time, the cops got involved and I got a scholorship for a private school and she did much better and loves the school and they like her too. She seem calm now and use to being around other kids. Now that I found a school that's right for her, there's the problem with the virus which doesn't affect kids as badly as it does the adults, but it does cause some type of inflamatory problems in kids and that's not good. I read that the virus doesn't do well in the heat, so I'm wondering about what might happen in the full when the weather gets cooler. I'm leaning towards homeschooling again until there's a vaccine or something out there to kill or control this virus. When I go out to the stores, I see people not wearing a mask. Aside from wearing a mask, I made face shields for my family and a few friends and I wear the shield when I go into a building or someone's home. The other day I went to the store wearing my mask and face shield and an eldering couple walked by me without wearing a mask or something to cover their mouth and nose. I guess some people think they are immune to this virus. I don't care how ridiculous I look, I rather be safe than sorry, and keep everyone around me safe.

I'm scared to send my 12 year old daughter to school this fall because she has an immune deficiency. I homeschooled her for 3 years, then took her back to regular school only because of the lack of social skills that everyone kept talking to me about and which I thought was silly. Well, I was shocked to see that everyone was right about the importance of social skills. My daughter didn't know how to act and tried too hard to make friends. First, she tried to fit in with the bad kids and got beat up, then her class got switched and there she tried hard too impress the other kids by lying and showing off and she got beat up again but this time, the cops got involved and I got a scholorship for a private school and she did much better and loves the school and they like her too. She seem calm now and use to being around other kids. Now that I found a school that's right for her, there's the problem with the virus which doesn't affect kids as badly as it does the adults, but it does cause some type of inflamatory problems in kids and that's not good. I read that the virus doesn't do well in the heat, so I'm wondering about what might happen in the full when the weather gets cooler. I'm leaning towards homeschooling again until there's a vaccine or something out there to kill or control this virus. When I go out to the stores, I see people not wearing a mask. Aside from wearing a mask, I made face shields for my family and a few friends and I wear the shield when I go into a building or someone's home. The other day I went to the store wearing my mask and face shield and an eldering couple walked by me without wearing a mask or something to cover their mouth and nose. I guess some people think they are immune to this virus. I don't care how ridiculous I look, I rather be safe than sorry, and keep everyone around me safe.
If I were you, I'd go back to home schooling your daughter until this thing is down the road. For the vast majority, I say get back in there.

Welcome to the boards. Personally I do not believe masks are still necessary in public or private spaces. That being said I'm neither a virologist nor a doctor of any kind. The best course of action is to use whatever level of protection makes you feel comfortable as an individual person and a parent. As for the importance of in person child socialization in an educational setting: invaluable.

My daughter lives in Virginia and was told elementary school next year would be 2 days at the school and 3 days online at home.
She is kinda freaking out because she has a really good weekday job and can't be home 3 days a week to watch and home school her daughter. ... :cool:

Welcome, your a breath of fresh air in here.

I say they probably won't open till next year..

This bug is not going away anytime soon.

My daughter lives in Virginia and was told elementary school next year would be 2 days at the school and 3 days online at home.
She is kinda freaking out because she has a really good weekday job and can't be home 3 days a week to watch and home school her daughter. ... :cool:

Well she could always be a massage girl.

Yes to the question in the title. The OP probably should consult with his doctor about where and how his daughter with the compromised immune system should be educated.

The elderly are more at risk of dying from COVID-19 than more likely of infecting you than any young person.
I can't speak for your location, but I did a percentage check of the diagnosed population versus the overall population in our area. When I was done, it was evident that the COVID-19 population versus the overall population is .053%. That's five-one hundredths of a percent. Not even one half of a percent. I stand a better chance of being bitten by a bear in the downtown area, than contracting COVID-19, yet, nobody's walking around with bear spray on their hip. I don't wear a mask and except for the rare business that won't let me in without one, I go without. There's ALWAYS going to be some virus or bacteria that comes along and infects and kills some portion of the population. Does that mean we hide in our homes or spend the rest of our lives in fear and wearing masks...and in your case, face shields? Personally, to me, it's ridiculous. At some point we have to get back to our lives. Some so-called experts have even said that when you are being intimate with your spouse, significant other, you should wear face masks.....not only get it on with the other individual, you sleep right next to them. At some point, logic has to step in. I wash my hands frequently and use hand sanitizer when soap isn't readily available....and I haven't been sick since this nonsense began.
In your case, you have a family member with a deficient immune system, so precautions are needed.
All that said, with air circulation in buildings and winds, an airborne virus can still get through and around the non-sealed parts of your mask.
The only true way to keep out viruses when you've left your home, is to wear a Level-4 Bio-Hazard Suit with its own oxygen supply tank and when you return home, have the suit disinfected.

I would suggest speaking to a doctor before making any decision. Let me just say that wearing a mask too much carries risks with it. Most masks do not have the mesh size to keep out any virus.
Socialization is very important as I think you have already found out from the bouts with others.
If the doctor agrees and the school is open I would seriously suggest considering allowing her to go to class.

Normal healthy kids have more to fear from street gangs and bullies in school than a virus that seems to attack only old people with underlying health concerns.

Welcome, your a breath of fresh air in here.

I say they probably won't open till next year..

This bug is not going away anytime soon.

Plans are already in effect in most places to return to school this fall. Locally, they are starting school a week later and eliminating a fall break after 9 weeks. Even Virginia has a plan as bizarre as it is!

We have a program at our school for students who are unable to attend classes for reasons like your daughter. My grandson has leukemia and a teacher visit him at home to provide his instruction just as though he was in the classroom. We call it "Hospital/Homebound".

Yes to the question in the title. The OP probably should consult with his doctor about where and how his daughter with the compromised immune system should be educated.
That's exactly what my husband and I were talking about.

Yep....open them up.

Forum List

Back