Does $500 per child mean $500 per dependent?

The Obamacare bill covered "children" about four years short of their 30th birthday so the question is a valid one as long as democrats hold the majority in congress.

The emergency relief plan includes a $500 per child provision. I can't find anything that defines 'child' but I assume that means any tax defined dependent which should include adult dependents. I know many people who are caring for an elderly parent or an adult son or daughter who could sure use some extra money.
This morning I read that the plan is now to only give it to people on unemployment. So the self employed and those with seriously cut hours (like me) are out of luck.
Link?
Here is what has been reported this morning-
McConnell outlined the four objectives of the Senate Republican plan:
  • Address the demands of "individuals and families as quickly as possible"
  • Deliver relief to small businesses
  • Bring stability to the economy and "prevent as many layoffs as possible"
  • Rush resources to frontline healthcare workers and providers
Schumer: Democrats want 'a paycheck every month' for Americans
https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/politics/2020/03/21/senate-still-negotiating-stimulus-deal-coronavirus-spread-worsens/2890730001/

The GOP plan aims to pump billions into $1,200 direct checks to Americans and billions to small businesses to pay idled workers during the global pandemic.
Stimulus checks: Congress, White House race to draft $1 trillion coronavirus rescue package
I read it on here somewhere. A GOP senator, can't remember his name, has introduced it.
I searched the forum under the word unemployment for the last fews days and found nothing, nor any article stating such. Can you try to find it again?
I've hunted a bit but can't find it--you don't have to believe me if you don't want to. I might have read it on a news site, not the forum.

This morning I read that the plan is now to only give it to people on unemployment. So the self employed and those with seriously cut hours (like me) are out of luck.
I doubt that is how it shakes out
I HOPE NOT!!!

it won;t be

right now, from what I have read, the fight is over how much more goes to folks that are not taxpayers or are "off the grid"

stay safe -- you are a classy Old lady & I appreciate your commentary on here

:beer:

Senate closes in on trillion-dollar coronavirus stimulus bill

The emergency relief plan includes a $500 per child provision. I can't find anything that defines 'child' but I assume that means any tax defined dependent which should include adult dependents. I know many people who are caring for an elderly parent or an adult son or daughter who could sure use some extra money.
Link?
https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/politics/2020/03/21/senate-still-negotiating-stimulus-deal-coronavirus-spread-worsens/2890730001/

The GOP plan aims to pump billions into $1,200 direct checks to Americans and billions to small businesses to pay idled workers during the global pandemic.
Stimulus checks: Congress, White House race to draft $1 trillion coronavirus rescue package
I read it on here somewhere. A GOP senator, can't remember his name, has introduced it.
I searched the forum under the word unemployment for the last fews days and found nothing, nor any article stating such. Can you try to find it again?
I've hunted a bit but can't find it--you don't have to believe me if you don't want to. I might have read it on a news site, not the forum.
I never said I didn’t believe you. I just wanted to see who it was.
I did find an article stating Cotton did not want the paid 2 week leavemto go through the unemployment system as it would take awhile and be burdensome. I am wondering if that could have been it. 2 week paid leave we will be picking up is different from the stimulus.

Link?

I did find an article stating Cotton did not want the paid 2 week leavemto go through the unemployment system as it would take awhile and be burdensome. I am wondering if that could have been it. 2 week paid leave we will be picking up is different from the stimulus.
there is a lot of info out there, some more reliable than others...

here is what I have seen (and I pay attention, here, and many other sites)

MANY republicans are fundamentally against an actual check going to people, pushing for tax credits and the like

most democrats are pushing for more cash for indigent folks

a bill WILL be passed

MOST Americans will get some cash

it is going to make the Obama stimulus look like snack money for after school

we live in interesting times...

I would like to see those who are out of work to receive much more

Link?

there is a lot of info out there, some more reliable than others...

here is what I have seen (and I pay attention, here, and many other sites)

MANY republicans are fundamentally against an actual check going to people, pushing for tax credits and the like

most democrats are pushing for more cash for indigent folks

a bill WILL be passed

MOST Americans will get some cash

it is going to make the Obama stimulus look like snack money for after school

we live in interesting times...

Tax credits do not help those who are out of work.

Businesses that are forced to shut down to protect the public should get tax credits. As should landlords who cover for tenants and small business affected by the shut downs

I would like to see those who are out of work to receive much more
The trouble with massive stimulus payouts, there will be people who get it who don't need it and lots who don't get enough.

No, I can’t puzzle out how his debt becomes yours when he declares bankruptcy. Please, enlighten me.
I will just get you started. You're going to have to adult for a bit and do the rest yourself.

Medical costs include the cost of indigent care. Interest rates are risk based, and include the cost of loan defaults.

No, I can’t puzzle out how his debt becomes yours when he declares bankruptcy. Please, enlighten me.
I will just get you started. You're going to have to adult for a bit and do the rest yourself.

Medical costs include the cost of indigent care. Interest rates are risk based, and include the cost of loan defaults.

So I guess your commingling debt with social programs. If he doesn’t have money he can’t pay his own healthcare.

If that is your tortured point it’s weak at best. Anybody who receives $1000 which keeps him from bankruptcy can’t afford his own healthcare now, so you’re already paying for it.

Giving people cash is a horrible idea. I would much rather see a government backed voucher program that could be redeemed for very specific things like food and medicine.

If you’ve been working a steady job and suddenly your income stops and you have no savings, there is a very good chance you don’t manage money well. I don’t want that guy getting $1000 to spend how he wants.
No, there’s a very good chance you’re living paycheck to paycheck, like most Americans – there’s little or nothing ‘left over’ for savings.

Forum List

Back