Does anyone not mind the government gathering their phone information?

Do you want the government monitoring your phone records?

• Total voters

Diamond Member
Gold Supporting Member
Feb 22, 2004
Minnesota
I've got nothing to hide, but I sure as heck don't want the government gathering information on me. Who I talk to and associate with is my business.

But is there anyone who thinks the government should be monitoring your phone records?

I suspect this is a ploy to save the post office. If nobody trusts the privacy of phone calls and text messages, they will be forced to return to the days of snail mail.

I use prepaid phones and pay cash, they break I get a new phone /number/area code and new IP number.... kind of untraceable. Nothing to hide, but learned a lesson 5 years ago to watch your steps, during the age of computers.

Verizon had better be leery, I smell a lawsuit. I've actually considered drafting up one myself, and switching phone carriers. They are going to lose customers over this.

Verizon had better be leery, I smell a lawsuit. I've actually considered drafting up one myself, and switching phone carriers. They are going to lose customers over this.

Considering it would be illegal for them to publicly acknowledge that this is even going on I'm not sure how they could mount a lawsuit. Unless you're referring to their customers suing them.

Regardless, I'm not so much upset about them gathering information on my phone calls, as I barely make any actual phone calls and they're generally meaningless, as I am about them assuming that they have the power to do so. Though that goes back to the passage of the Patriot Act, so this is nothing new. It's just the first time we've heard about Obama doing it.

I doubt this is limited to Verizon. My bet is that all the carriers are doing this.

You know what they do. They have computer banks search for key words and if they come up with one they put you on a watch list for further investigation. The context doesn't matter because the freaking administration doesn't care about the 1st, 2nd, or 5th Amendments because the fat ass bureaucracy we used to call the "intelligence community" is to lazy to do their freaking jobs.

The last time a lawsuit was in the works against Verizon for doing this, the Republican Congress passed a law retroactively granting them immunity.

And no, they aren't going to lose any customers. Did you quit your phone company in 2006 over it?

All of them did it. Except Qwest.

You know what they do. They have computer banks search for key words and if they come up with one they put you on a watch list for further investigation. The context doesn't matter because the freaking administration doesn't care about the 1st, 2nd, or 5th Amendments because the fat ass bureaucracy we used to call the "intelligence community" is to lazy to do their freaking jobs.

Bomb

Ricin

Aircraft

Towers

Cell Phone Detonator

wonder if I'll be singled out???
:eusa_silenced:

if they can make a case that it is assisting them in the war on terror (a war they now say is pretty over btw) I don't have an issue with it.

I didn't have an issue with bushs Pat act fisa machinations on this front, but it appears to me they are now doing this backwards, Bush started with individuals they thought suspicious and then would start the process and get warrants, now we are monitoring data on a swath of folks as a huge fishing expedition then I guess they would identify suspicious individuals and drill down into asking tapping and getting ti signed off etc....and- they never told us....

Obama had a LOT to say as a senator about Bush/NSA etc. and how he, Bush went about it, etc....so what gives?

if they can make a case that it is assisting them in the war on terror (a war they now say is pretty over btw) I don't have an issue with it.

I didn't have an issue with bushs Pat act fisa machinations on this front, but it appears to me they are now doing this backwards, Bush started with individuals they thought suspicious and then would start the process and get warrants, now we are monitoring data on a swath of folks as a huge fishing expedition then I guess they would identify suspicious individuals and drill down into asking tapping and getting ti signed off etc....and- they never told us....

Obama had a LOT to say as a senator about Bush/NSA etc. and how he, Bush went about it, etc....so what gives?

Nope. You are wrong.

This is identical to what Bush did. Identical.

It's been going on for seven years.

Jesus, how many topics about this do we need? We are past a dozen today alone, I think.

Who's the dumbass that said yes???

There was a topic yesterday where one or two people said they didn't mind. The "if you aren't doing anything wrong, you have nothing to worry about" idiotic argument.

Nope. You are wrong.

This is identical to what Bush did. Identical.

It's been going on for seven years.

Jesus, how many topics about this do we need? We are past a dozen today alone, I think.

yes I am aware its been going on since 06. But I think there is a slight difference in approach as I said, foreign contacts first then collection. Note- I don't care really....

and I did find this refreshing....

The administration has now lost all credibility. Mr. Obama is proving the truism that the executive will use any power it is given and very likely abuse it. That is one reason we have long argued that the Patriot Act, enacted in the heat of fear after the 9/11 attacks by members of Congress who mostly had not even read it, was reckless in its assignment of unnecessary and overbroad surveillance powers.

Based on an article in The Guardian published Wednesday night, we now know the Federal Bureau of Investigation and the National Security Agency used the Patriot Act to obtain a secret warrant to compel Verizon’s business services division to turn over data on every single call that went through its system. We know that this particular order was a routine extension of surveillance that has been going on for years, and it seems very likely that it extends beyond Verizon’s business division. There is every reason to believe the federal government has been collecting every bit of information about every American’s phone calls except the words actually exchanged in those calls.

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/06/07/opinion/president-obamas-dragnet.html?pagewanted=all&_r=0

Bomb

Ricin

Aircraft

Towers

Cell Phone Detonator

wonder if I'll be singled out???
:eusa_silenced:

Thats not even funny dude, unless you scramble your IP, if you posting from a computer.

Forum List

Back