Does anyone not mind the government gathering their phone information?

Do you want the government monitoring your phone records?

• Total voters
Sent Anthrax to the NSA, I think they'd like to listen to to the "Spreading the Disease" CD while going through our email and phone conversations

The data collected aren't phone conversations. They are call records.

Exactly, and the second I contracted with verizon (actually att for me) to provide cell phone service, I agreed to let them have that info, and not just the person whom I dialed ... and there went my expectation of privacy.

The content of the call is hopefully not disclosed without going through the FISA restrictions on warrantless searches, which require some probable cause to listen in.

Does that mean I can call up AT&T and get a list of all your phone calls and how long they are?

Of course it doesn't, because you expect that information not to be released to every Tom, Dick, and Harry.

I think we need a new category of stupid for you.

He wasn't simply arrested for having a pressure cooker, we was detained for suspicious behavior such as claiming that he had it because they didn't sell them in the US.

Why would anyone care about why someone packed a pressure cooker unless they were delusional?

The teenager's car was searched because he appeared to be high, and he was questioned for having multiple bomb components in his car, not just a pressure cooker. He was jailed for possession of drugs, not a pressure cooker.

I love the way you glossed over how they called the FBI. Do you think that is normal in a drug bust?

The data collected aren't phone conversations. They are call records.

Exactly, and the second I contracted with verizon (actually att for me) to provide cell phone service, I agreed to let them have that info, and not just the person whom I dialed ... and there went my expectation of privacy.

The content of the call is hopefully not disclosed without going through the FISA restrictions on warrantless searches, which require some probable cause to listen in.

Does that mean I can call up AT&T and get a list of all your phone calls and how long they are?

Of course it doesn't, because you expect that information not to be released to every Tom, Dick, and Harry.

Matter of fact -- the contract I signed with Verizon PROMISED that they would not share that data with anyone outside of their internal biz units.. The Congress then gave them immunity from prosecution for sharing with the govt -- whether a crime had been committed or not.

I have a bunch of familiarity with data mining, artificial intelligience and how the Intelligience agencies operate. Let me explain to you what they are doing with your data.

They are looking for unnatural or suspicious correlations and juxtapositions of associations, travel, purchases, personal details, ect... Your data is being compared to patterns much like a virus scan works on your computer.

Depending on WHO WRITES the virus file definitions -- they can be using the same tool today for Mid-East terrorists, Domestic Terrorists, Drug Rings, Weapons Traffic, or even Gang membership..

Or tomorrow -- they could tune that to religious orgs, or Communists or Libertarians or folks who have fertilizer in their garages.

Your data is there. If you call to Yemen or Syria , likely you become "a person of interest".

If you are in the construction biz and order dynamite on-line --- you get flagged. If you have family in IRAN -- you get flagged.

You want to risk this? For what reason??? Are you THAT SCARED????

Or if you donate to the RNC or a Prolife organization...you can be targeted as an Enemy. That's where this is going, bub.

Or if PRISM marks the post I wrote above and noted "fertilizer" in conjunction with Syria or Yemen.. I pretty much figure that the PRISM servers are sucking for air today trying to make sense of all this outrage.

Recognize your NAME??

Here PRISM PRISM come PRISM SIT Good boy PRISM

You forgot to mention Syria, Iran, and bombs.

It's tuned to look for patterns indicating terrorism today. At any point in the learning/tuning cycle, things could change. Or maybe the RULES change secretly overnight.

It's tuned to target non-US citizens overseas.

Are you that SCARED?? TO give this power of police surveillance to a govt that renewed Mohammed Attahs visa AFTER he flew into the World Trade Center??? Prism is the internet prowling program.. The phone data mining doesn't have a public name yet..
Yeah, I'm not going to give in to this type of baiting.

How do you know what it targets?

Because the government, which recently targeted people based on their political opinions, told you?

Not to worry though, I am the crazy one.

Please read parts of this thread http://www.usmessageboard.com/7339759-post1.html and leave a post there telling me how you're not concerned about the govt tracking those details of your life from the phone datarecords.

You can tell yourself, the program was not designed to target you -- but the recent revelations make it quite clear -- the courts and the "overseers" have changed this into a whopping huge fishing expedition. And YOUR DATA is DEFINATELY there..

Well this is just the thing, your presentation makes it seem like there is some guy with headphones on tracking me personally right now, but that isn't really what is happening, chances are that none of my data has been accessed. I'm not actively being stalked by the government here, nor is the program designed to actively stalk people like me.

Let me know when that changes and then I'll be more worried and join the fight against it.

When that changes, it will be far too late to begin to worry about it, or even fight against it. As one ex-NSA staffer stated, the government is building the infrastructure for a turn key operation to dictatorship.

Government abuse is only part of the problem. Government is made up of people, and when people have valuable information that others will pay big bucks for, many of them will be willing to sell that information. Others will give it away to partisan political hacks of their own ilk.

Forum List

Back