Does anyone think we need the Fed?

A $1,000 deposit into the banking system becomes upwards of $9,000 and you dont see a problem with that?

This is incorrect. A bank does not take $1000 in deposits and creates $9000 in loans. It takes $1000 in equity and makes $9000 in loans.

A bank's balance sheet will look something like this:

Assets
Loans $10,000

Total Assets $10,000

Liabilities
Deposits $9000

Shareholders Equity
Common Stock $1000

Total Liabilities and Shareholders' Equity $10,000

A bank makes its profits based on the spread of its return on assets less the cost of liabilities. Its profits like this.

Return on loans 10% x $10,000 = $1,000
Cost of deposits 2% x $9000 = $180
Profits to shareholders $820.

The amount of loans a bank can make is dependent on the amount of liabilities and shareholders' equity it has. In our above example, if the bank can only raise $4000 in deposits, then it can only make $5000 in loans. This isn't money that is being created out of thin air. This is acting as an intermediary between savers and borrowers.

Where banks make money out of thin air is in the amount of loans it can make based on the amount of equity it has. If the reserve ratio in our example is 10% (the amount of equity to total assets, or $1000 in equity divided by $10,000 in assets), and the bank retains all its earnings, in the following year, the bank would have $1820 in equity, and could increase the number of loans by $8200 only if the bank can find deposits (or some other source of funding). If the bank cannot find deposits or other sources of funding, in our example, it could not lend out an extra $8200.

There is no real restriction on how much money the fed can make.. Any such restriction died with the gold standard... Thats the whole purpose of having sound money.

That is correct. The Fed is not limited to the amount of money it can create. But that's the point. If there is a fixed stock of money in the world, as the economy grows, then demand for credit rises and so does the real interest rate, which restricts and retards economic growth. The stock of money, as Milton Friedman correctly wrote, should rise at the rate of economic growth over the long-run.

Now, you can argue that the Fed was derelict in its duty, and I would agree with you. I own a ton of gold. (Well, a tad less than a ton.) However, the gold standard is a highly restrictive policy and acts as an anchor on both economic growth and human progress.

No, what he's talking about has little to do with the Fed, since it is the member banks making the loans.
I still want to know what's wrong with it.
A $1,000 deposit into the banking system becomes upwards of $9,000 and you dont see a problem with that?
No, why not explain what the problem is.
Rubberdickhead is going on iggy. I can't deal with anyone tht stupid.

Oh, no! The greedy fuckstain doesn't wanna talk to me! I'm so ashamed!

No, why not explain what the problem is.
Rubberdickhead is going on iggy. I can't deal with anyone tht stupid.

Oh, no! The greedy fuckstain doesn't wanna talk to me! I'm so ashamed!

Honestly, I don't know how you can put up with him.. The guy sounds like he works for the federal reserve.

Wow, it's fun to watch the greedy bastards give each other handjobs, but they don't seem to have anything honest to say. They are either bankers or politicians.

Wow, it's fun to watch the greedy bastards give each other handjobs, but they don't seem to have anything honest to say. They are either bankers or politicians.

Thats the wonderful thing about knowledge.. No matter what these guys say, we both know the fed is a scam and I do my best to educate people on this topic everyday. even complete strangers I meet in public.

Bankers, politicians, or working for the govt in some other way.. absolutely.

"Tyranny begins in ignorance" - Benjamin Franklin

Thats the wonderful thing about knowledge.. No matter what these guys say, we both know the fed is a scam and I do my best to educate people on this topic everyday. even complete strangers I meet in public.

I think you need to educate yourself. You can start with reading. Because what you've posted is not consistent with the sources. You've managed to add 2 plus 2 and get 22.
But there is no persuading you because you "know" the Fed is a scam. It wont matter if your "proof" is refuted 20 times daily.
I am still waiting to hear how Fed Ex's chairman is chosen by the POTUS.

I think you need to educate yourself. You can start with reading. Because what you've posted is not consistent with the sources. You've managed to add 2 plus 2 and get 22.
But there is no persuading you because you "know" the Fed is a scam. It wont matter if your "proof" is refuted 20 times daily.
Fed Ex's chairman isn't chosen by POTUS.. and neither is the chairman of the Federal Reserve Banks.

We had a few guys like you over on the RonPaulForums too... "Yeah, ron paul.. um, hey we need the federal reserve"

Nobody bought it then, and nobody is buying it now.

If you sincerely think the federal reserve is some well-intentioned arm of the govt that is here to help us then all I can say is, that I thought that same thing until I educated myself. But nobody has a love affair with the fed unless theyres something in it for them. I dont buy you.

Fed Ex's chairman isn't chosen by POTUS.. and neither is the chairman of the Federal Reserve Banks.

What do you mean? Are you meaning something different when you say chairman of the "Federal Reserve Banks?" If you mean "Chairman of the Federal Reserve Board of Governors," i.e. Ben Bernanke, he is chosen by the President.

How are the Chairman and members of the Federal Reserve Board of Governors selected, and what is the term of office?

The seven members of the Board of Governors are nominated by the President of the United States and confirmed by the U.S. Senate. By law, the appointments must yield a "fair representation of the financial, agricultural, industrial, and commercial interests and geographical divisions of the country," and no two Governors may come from the same Federal Reserve District.

The full term of a Governor is fourteen years; appointments are staggered so that one term expires on January 31 of each even-numbered year. A Governor who has served a full term may not be reappointed, but a Governor who was appointed to complete an unexpired term may be reappointed to a full fourteen-year term.

Once appointed, Governors may not be removed from office for their policy views. The lengthy terms and staggered appointments are intended to contribute to the insulation of the Board--and the Federal Reserve System as a whole--from day-to-day political pressures to which it might otherwise be subject. If all Governors serve full terms, a President would be able to appoint only two Governors during a four-year presidential term. Moreover, even a President reelected for a second term would not have appointed a majority of the Governors until late in the second term. In reality, many Governors do not complete their fourteen-year terms, and recent Presidents have averaged more than one appointment to the Board every two years.

As stipulated in the Banking Act of 1935, the Chairman and Vice Chairman of the Board are chosen by the President from among the sitting Governors and must be confirmed by the Senate. They serve terms of four years and may be reappointed as Chairman or Vice Chairman until their terms as Governors expire. The Chairman serves as public spokesperson and representative of the Board and manager of the Board's staff and presides at Board meetings. Affirming the apolitical nature of the Board, recent Presidents representing both major political parties have selected the same person as Board Chairman.

FRB: FAQs: Board of Governors

The Federal Reserve is the fourth central bank that has been created since by the U.S. governemet. These central banks are always created due to public demand for the government to get a leash on the banking system.

From the original inception of the U.S. government without a central bank through each disolution of the central banks, financial and economic disaster has occured.

Whatever negative may be said of the Fed, it is one whole hell of a lot better than not having a central bank.

Just the little bit of deregulation and oversight that occur in the past ten years has led to a major economic catastrophe.

What we need is either a stronger more scrutinized Federal Banking system or socialization of the banking system to insure economic fairness and equality.

If Government for and by the people works so well, why not banking for and by the people?

We had a few guys like you over on the RonPaulForums too... "Yeah, ron paul.. um, hey we need the federal reserve"

If you sincerely think the federal reserve is some well-intentioned arm of the govt that is here to help us then all I can say is, that I thought that same thing until I educated myself. But nobody has a love affair with the fed unless theyres something in it for them. I dont buy you.

But you said the Federal Reserve was as much part of the Federal Gov't as FedEx. I guess you didn't mean that either.
WHo sais anything about "well intentioned"? You make this up.
Yeah Ron Paul. That explains a lot. What a failure, total dim bulb. And that's just among conservatives.

What do you mean? Are you meaning something different when you say chairman of the "Federal Reserve Banks?" If you mean "Chairman of the Federal Reserve Board of Governors," i.e. Ben Bernanke, he is chosen by the President.

How are the Chairman and members of the Federal Reserve Board of Governors selected, and what is the term of office?

The seven members of the Board of Governors are nominated by the President of the United States and confirmed by the U.S. Senate. By law, the appointments must yield a "fair representation of the financial, agricultural, industrial, and commercial interests and geographical divisions of the country," and no two Governors may come from the same Federal Reserve District.

The full term of a Governor is fourteen years; appointments are staggered so that one term expires on January 31 of each even-numbered year. A Governor who has served a full term may not be reappointed, but a Governor who was appointed to complete an unexpired term may be reappointed to a full fourteen-year term.

Once appointed, Governors may not be removed from office for their policy views. The lengthy terms and staggered appointments are intended to contribute to the insulation of the Board--and the Federal Reserve System as a whole--from day-to-day political pressures to which it might otherwise be subject. If all Governors serve full terms, a President would be able to appoint only two Governors during a four-year presidential term. Moreover, even a President reelected for a second term would not have appointed a majority of the Governors until late in the second term. In reality, many Governors do not complete their fourteen-year terms, and recent Presidents have averaged more than one appointment to the Board every two years.

As stipulated in the Banking Act of 1935, the Chairman and Vice Chairman of the Board are chosen by the President from among the sitting Governors and must be confirmed by the Senate. They serve terms of four years and may be reappointed as Chairman or Vice Chairman until their terms as Governors expire. The Chairman serves as public spokesperson and representative of the Board and manager of the Board's staff and presides at Board meetings. Affirming the apolitical nature of the Board, recent Presidents representing both major political parties have selected the same person as Board Chairman.

FRB: FAQs: Board of Governors

But the Fed lies on its own website. Unless it is telling the truth. So it lies about being part of the federal gov't but doesn't lie when it lays out how much it spends on acquiring currency.
This is the beauty of conspiracy theories. And this lie is certainly part of the conspiracy movement agenda.

But you said the Federal Reserve was as much part of the Federal Gov't as FedEx. I guess you didn't mean that either.
Yeah Ron Paul. That explains a lot. What a failure, total dim bulb. And that's just among conservatives.

An 11-term Congressman is a failure? Interesting.

Yes I mean something different.. I dont mean the "Board of Governors" I mean "Banks"

There are 12 Federal Reserve Banks
usmap3.gif

And the Presidents, CEOs, etc. of these banks are NOT picked by POTUS. They are all private companies that elect their own officers like any other private corporation.

The real power in the Federal Reserve System is in these 12 banks.. not in the Board of Governors.

Just sit back and learn. That is, if you really want to.. Which I doubt.

Theres no way this Rabbi dude is legit. He's either banker or politico.

Yay lets pay a private company big bucks to make our money for us. Instead of making it ourselves debt and interest free!! Yeah thats good for America.

/SARCASM OFF

Theres no way this Rabbi dude is legit. He's either banker or politico.

Yay lets pay a private company big bucks to make our money for us. Instead of making it ourselves debt and interest free!! Yeah thats good for America.

/SARCASM OFF

More likely he simply believes that the market goes through cycles and that the Fed is the only institution capable of handling these swings. It's better, I think, to simply try to correct this assumption rather than trying to malign the person who believes this.

Yes I mean something different.. I dont mean the "Board of Governors" I mean "Banks"

usmap3.gif

And the Presidents, CEOs, etc. of these banks are NOT picked by POTUS. They are all private companies that elect their own officers like any other private corporation.

The real power in the Federal Reserve System is in these 12 banks.. not in the Board of Governors.

You said the "Chairman of the Federal Reserve Banks." Who is that? Is that a typo?

Why do the regional banks have all the power? It is the FOMC who set the price of credit, and it is the New York Fed who implements open market operations of the Fed.

And the regional bank Presidents may be picked by the directors but all Presidents are approved by The Board of Governors.

Under the Federal Reserve Act, the president of a Federal Reserve Bank is the chief executive officer of the Bank. He or she is appointed by the Bank's board of directors, with the approval of the Board of Governors, for a term of five years.

http://www.federalreserve.gov/generalinfo/faq/faqfrbanks.htm#8

Last edited:

usmap3.gif

You said the "Chairman of the Federal Reserve Banks." Who is that? Is that a typo?

Why do the regional banks have all the power? It is the FOMC who set the price of credit, and it is the New York Fed who implements open market operations of the Fed.

And the regional bank Presidents may be picked by the directors but all Presidents are approved by The Board of Governors.

Under the Federal Reserve Act, the president of a Federal Reserve Bank is the chief executive officer of the Bank. He or she is appointed by the Bank's board of directors, with the approval of the Board of Governors, for a term of five years.

FRB: FAQs: Federal Reserve Banks
The New York Fed is the ultimate seat of power in the whole system. It always has been back to when Benjamin Strong was in charge.

The New York Fed is the ultimate seat of power in the whole system. It always has been back to when Benjamin Strong was in charge.
Hmm, so which is it?
In any case the NY Fed head is appointed by the board of directors with approval from the board of governors.
You seem to be not only failing to make your case that the Fed is not part of the Federal government, but morphing into a bizarre conspiracy theory.

Forum List

Back