Does anyone watch "The Orville"?

Just who the hell is Seth MacFarlane? I've never heard of him before.

Creator of television shows like Family Guy and The Orville.

He was also the lead dude in "1001 Ways to Die in the West", which was a pretty funny movie. I think he also wrote and directed that one.

Ted & Ted 2 writer and director as well as the voice of Ted.

Last edited:
Just who the hell is Seth MacFarlane? I've never heard of him before.

Creator of television shows like Family Guy and The Orville.

He was also the lead dude in "1001 Ways to Die in the West", which was a pretty funny movie. I think he also wrote and directed that one.

Ted & Ted 2 writer and directors as well as the voice of Ted.

Damn, knew I was missing a good one. I liked the story of the perverted teddy bear. Kinda wished that I had one come back to life like that.

He'd make a good wingman.

I can't watch more than a minute or two. I half expect to see Stewie Griffin on the bridge. This is Star Trek sacrilege.

I guess that's what you get when you expect it to be something it's not and never intended to be...

It's called The Orville, not Star Trek, not Star Trek: The Next Generation, not Star Trek: Deep Space Nine, not Star Trek: Voyager, not Star Trek: Enterprise, not Star Trek: Discovery...

The Orville: Star Trek ripoff.
Some of the plots explore current socioeconomic dilemmas.

As did the original series and ... to a lesser extent ... the spin-offs.

But, much like the original series, there is no subtlety to the exploration ... it's fist-in-your-face moralizing.

In 1966, it was unusual for TV to take on social issues and 'Star Trek' was able to do so with futuristic allegory.

But 60 years later, it's not only routine for TV to speak about social issues, it's done with more subtly and nuance.

We don't need a reboot of 'Star Trek TOS' to be able to talk about social issues on TV>

It is terrible. And I am one that roots for any new sci-fi show that comes on. The Orville is just bad. McFarlane can voice act in a cartoon but he can't act.

As did the original series and ... to a lesser extent ... the spin-offs.

But, much like the original series, there is no subtlety to the exploration ... it's fist-in-your-face moralizing.

In 1966, it was unusual for TV to take on social issues and 'Star Trek' was able to do so with futuristic allegory.

But 60 years later, it's not only routine for TV to speak about social issues, it's done with more subtly and nuance.

We don't need a reboot of 'Star Trek TOS' to be able to talk about social issues on TV>
I think spoofs have more latitude. Everybody knows it is a spoof.

This one starts out, at the other end of the spectrum.

It is a midsized science vessel not a military vessel.

Heavy cruiser captains are everyone's first choice.

I can't watch more than a minute or two. I half expect to see Stewie Griffin on the bridge. This is Star Trek sacrilege.
Tonight the episode is about a woman on the ship who’s dating the artificial life or android on the ship. And he’s apparently great in bed. Can get in total tune with her body.

The Last episode was all about interspecies gay sex.

You have to be STUPIDLY DESPERATE for science fiction if you're a conservative and watch this filth.
Tonight is a great episode. They’re trying to get the really smart robot species to join the alliance. They’re like why would we want to join you humans? You guys are war, slavery, greed, individualism, genocide, persecution.

They said we go back and forth between Enlightenment and tyranny

i thought the first few episodes of the first season were pretty funny, in a satirical sort of way.
Come on last night was awesome. We worry about AI taking over right? Well they went to a planet where they found a race of AI that did kill the people who invented them and that's exactly my fear. If it's intelligent then it knows it's only threat is us.

So they took over the ship and are racing to earth to take over earth. Because anything living in the universe is a potential threat.

i thought the first few episodes of the first season were pretty funny, in a satirical sort of way.
Come on last night was awesome. We worry about AI taking over right? Well they went to a planet where they found a race of AI that did kill the people who invented them and that's exactly my fear. If it's intelligent then it knows it's only threat is us.

So they took over the ship and are racing to earth to take over earth. Because anything living in the universe is a potential threat.
the Original series had a novel that dealt with that situation....it was a continuation of the original episode ..."I'Mudd".....

This is a better show than some might give it credit for........ it is an actual Sci Fi show versus just a Seth McFarlane pardy.......I had heard he really loves Star Trek and wanted to do his own version, and from what I have seen it is a pretty good show.

Forum List

Back