Does Fracking Cause Earthquakes? No. Windmills Do.

Billy_Bob

Diamond Member
Sep 4, 2014
Top Of The Great Divide
Does fracking cause earthquakes? No. Windmills do.

Now this is an interesting read. I don't buy the hover craft explanation but what I do buy is the transference of stress from the wind to the earth. When you block wind and drive that pressure into the earth you can most certainly create stress where very little used to exist. Create over 6000 points of stress on a section of the plate and at a oblique angle to fault lines and you have the makings of earth quakes. Now we add the low frequency vibrations that are known to emanate from wind turbines and we have stress complicated by low frequency harmonic vibrations. When you include the water tables you get liquefaction and the potential for slip strike faults moving increases significantly..

The construction of windmill farms in Oklahoma correlates much better to the sudden upward trend of earthquakes. Remember the key year is 2009. That was long after fracking had already achieved widespread implementation. But it was just on the cusp of a massive uptick in windmill farm construction.

The windmill boom began in Oklahoma in 2003 with the construction of Oklahoma Wind Energy Center in Harper County, with a rated capacity of 102 Megawatts. According toinformation published by the Kansas Energy Information, between 2003 and 2008, Oklahoma allowed construction of 6 more bird-killing machines that together have a rated capacity of 706 MW. I say “rated” because who’s kidding who, windmills don’t produce energy like their proponents promise.

His corollary evidence at least needs to be looked into.. It makes a whole lot more sense than injection wells, which we have been doing for decades, just recently causing it.

Food for thought..

Last edited:
I just pulled the history for the Oklahoma region from USGS and found that the depth of the quakes is very shallow. This is consistent with his hypothesis.

In Oklahoma the more likely...

... is land subsidence from...

... depleting the Oglala aquifer...

... the water from windmills...

... comes from the aquifer.

Silly Billy once again earns his moniker. No, the forces exerted by the windmills pale in comparison to the forces already on the faults, and the lubrication of those faults has everything to do with the injection of waste fracking fluids into those faults.

Silly Billy once again earns his moniker. No, the forces exerted by the windmills pale in comparison to the forces already on the faults, and the lubrication of those faults has everything to do with the injection of waste fracking fluids into those faults.

THe OP story was sheer speculation and tongue in cheek humor. BUT

I think there COULD an issue with just bad signal processing of seismic signals. And -- I'm qualified to believe that. :rock:

Seismic signals are in the sub-sonic range that likely overlaps with the acoustic spectrum generated by a windfield full of mongo turbines and blades. And the interaction with the ground can cause excitation of various "modes of propagation" that take this windmill noise to the seismic receiver.

So -- it's not SHAKING the earth with any intensity -- it's just a new and MAYBE ANNOYING source of "noise" that COULD interfere with detecting and triangulating on REAL quakes. If it can't be easily filtered without removing true seismic signal -- than they need me. :biggrin: OR there COULD be demands to isolate the turbine stands from the ground to reduce this interference.

Last edited:
Man ---- I was hot on the bluffing there -- but as usual -- FlaCalTenn knows his shit.. :mm:

Wind Turbine Syndrome | Wind turbine “seismic” vibrations stop windfarm—cold! (UK)

The Ministry of Defence (MoD) is blocking plans for hundreds of wind turbines because it says their “seismic noise” will prevent the detection of nuclear explosions around the world.
The MoD claims that vibrations from new windfarms across a large area of north-west England and south-west Scotland will interfere with the operation of its seismological recording station at Eskdalemuir, near Lockerbie. The station listens out for countries secretly testing nuclear warheads in breach of the 182-nation Comprehensive Test Ban Treaty.
At a meeting today, Carlisle council rejected the latest application for six wind turbines at Hallburn Farm, near Longtown, because of the MoD’s objections. The noise from the turbines would increase interference to an unacceptable level, the MoD said

Looks like yet another "siting restriction" on where you can just PLOP an energy generator. Pretty soon, the regulations and the permits ALONE will frustrate the greener weenies just like the rest of us..

How long do you think a wind turbine as badly balanced as you suggest they all are, would keep itself in one piece?

How long do you think a wind turbine as badly balanced as you suggest they all are, would keep itself in one piece?

I said NOTHING about "badly balanced" did I ? It's the LOUD natural spectrum of sub sonic noise that is produced from these gigantic turbines with propellers.

You think a turbo-prop plane is "badly balanced" if it make noise? :badgrin:

I think most of the noise it produces comes from the combustion of its fuel. I have an extremely sensitive acoustic system sitting about 200 yards from a 1 MW wind turbine built on ancient coral limestone (a relatively rigid substrate). My system's lower, 3dB rolloff point is below 10 Hz. We hear NOTHING from the wind turbine.

I think most of the noise it produces comes from the combustion of its fuel. I have an extremely sensitive acoustic system sitting about 200 yards from a 1 MW wind turbine built on ancient coral limestone (a relatively rigid substrate). My system's lower, 3dB rolloff point is below 10 Hz. We hear NOTHING from the wind turbine.

:bsflag:

You listening to the GROUND? Where is the sensor? And how broad band is "your system"?

The LEVELS of seismic signals at the input to their receivers is EXTREMELY low. Can respond to noise in a stadium about 100 miles away.

And the acoustic energy of a 1MW turbine can be over 50 or 60 dbA at a couple hundred yards..

Last edited:
We have four LF transducers mounted UW at various depths between 75 and 1400 feet. They are mounted in steel tripods resting on the bottom and have no acoustic isolation. Our wind turbine is inaudible at the fence around its base.

While I have stood under the wind turbines East of the Colombia Gorge and heard nothing at all but a very gentle swoosh, and that was on a very windy day, that does not mean there are not long wave vibrations from the blades and turbines transmitted to the ground. And, for seismic detectors looking for seismic data from low level nuclear devices anywhere on the planet, that could be a problem.

However, given the recent change in government in Great Britain, it could very well be a political ploy. But a 30 miles is not an unreasonable distance here in the US. Plenty of room for many thousands of mills in South Easter Oregon, all that is needed is a grid.

Does fracking cause earthquakes? No. Windmills do.

Now this is an interesting read. I don't buy the hover craft explanation but what I do buy is the transference of stress from the wind to the earth. When you block wind and drive that pressure into the earth you can most certainly create stress where very little used to exist. Create over 6000 points of stress on a section of the plate and at a oblique angle to fault lines and you have the makings of earth quakes. Now we add the low frequency vibrations that are known to emanate from wind turbines and we have stress complicated by low frequency harmonic vibrations. When you include the water tables you get liquefaction and the potential for slip strike faults moving increases significantly..

The construction of windmill farms in Oklahoma correlates much better to the sudden upward trend of earthquakes. Remember the key year is 2009. That was long after fracking had already achieved widespread implementation. But it was just on the cusp of a massive uptick in windmill farm construction.

The windmill boom began in Oklahoma in 2003 with the construction of Oklahoma Wind Energy Center in Harper County, with a rated capacity of 102 Megawatts. According toinformation published by the Kansas Energy Information, between 2003 and 2008, Oklahoma allowed construction of 6 more bird-killing machines that together have a rated capacity of 706 MW. I say “rated” because who’s kidding who, windmills don’t produce energy like their proponents promise.

His corollary evidence at least needs to be looked into.. It makes a whole lot more sense than injection wells, which we have been doing for decades, just recently causing it.

Food for thought..

Blame the wind if you must but the reason they are using wind power is because they are trying to fight carbon emissions.

So you see, global warming is really indirectly the cause of the earthquakes.

All the world's problems can be traced to global warming.

:bsflag:

You listening to the GROUND? Where is the sensor? And how broad band is "your system"?

The LEVELS of seismic signals at the input to their receivers is EXTREMELY low. Can respond to noise in a stadium about 100 miles away.

And the acoustic energy of a 1MW turbine can be over 50 or 60 dbA at a couple hundred yards..

The University of Wyoming is doing a ground study on sub 1 hz ground waves and what they do to various types of land mass.. Wind turbines in groups create these propagating waves. They can be tracked hundreds of miles away. Its the group, in unison and the surface wind pressure waves. There is actually a kinetic potential in the waves..

I don't know the ramifications of larger groups of turbines, and other mitigating items but it struck me as kind of odd but plausible this morning.. Going to be reading up on this the next few days..

We have four LF transducers mounted UW at various depths between 75 and 1400 feet. They are mounted in steel tripods resting on the bottom and have no acoustic isolation. Our wind turbine is inaudible at the fence around its base.

10Hz is too high. Blade rotation rate will affect the noise spectrum. But I suspect the TOP end of the spectrum is probably 10Hz.. That's for what propagates THRU THE GROUND. The acoustic spectrum will be higher and broader.

You MIGHT get a signal at top blade speed or sumthin.. Earthquake spectrum ENDS at 10Hz..

large.gif

Right side graph BullWinkle.. :badgrin:

Seismic effects on residents of 3MW wind turbines

Residents on a river plain at the foot of the Tararua Ranges, New Zealand, experience ongoing noise problems, including sleep deprivation, thought to emanate from a nearby wind farm in the ranges to the east (closest V90 turbine is 3 km away). The problem is worst when wind is from the eastern quadrant. Installation of 'Hush Glass' only partly alleviated the problem indoors.

Continuous time series recording of seismic noise using a buried L4 geophone and acoustic surface microphone attached to a wall inside the house, was conducted during March 2009. Use of night hours records minimised extraneous noise, and seismic noise from vegetation was also guarded against by analysis of site wind records.

Early analysis of 196s seismic samples identifies noise bursts lasting 10 seconds or more, every minute or so, associated with easterly wind conditions; with broad spectral power peaks centred on approximately 10 and 28 Hz. Audio playback of the seismic records was identified by the residents as similar to the noise they experienced.

Forum List

Back