Does The Bible Prove Itself? Do Books Prove Themselves?

Often when empiricists ask theists to prove their assertions they quote their religion's holy book. But does a Bible prove the claims the book makes?
Are you asking if the Bible proves there was a flood? for example

Right. Or anything at all, from specific events to whether or not God exists.

Do the Harry Potter books for example prove the existence of Hogwarts? :) Or Twilight the existence of sparkly day-walking vampires?

Often when empiricists ask theists to prove their assertions they quote their religion's holy book. But does a Bible prove the claims the book makes?

Do the Harry Potter books for example prove the existence of Hogwarts? :) Or Twilight the existence of sparkly day-walking vampires?
God wrote the Bible so does that not prove God? After a few pages of a book can you not know Hemingway from Twain, of poetry not Emerson from Poe, of music not the Beetles from Coltrane? Maybe it is clearer in translation (KJV) than in its original tongue. If one reads New Testament before the Old Testament that would definitely confuse the matter. Even so is not the word of God distinguishable from the hand of the son of man?

God wrote the Bible so does that not prove God? After a few pages of a book can you not know Hemingway from Twain, of poetry not Emerson from Poe, of music not the Beetles from Coltrane? Maybe it is clearer in translation (KJV) than in its original tongue. If one reads New Testament before the Old Testament that would definitely confuse the matter. Even so is not the word of God distinguishable from the hand of the son of man?

What in the Bible strikes you as being from a god as opposed to from Man?

What in the Bible strikes you as being from a god as opposed to from Man?
I talked to God before I read the Bible. Unfortunately I can not speak to it from the other way around.

So if I write a book and claim it's from God everyone should believe me? Like they did when Joseph Smith made that very claim and Mormonism came into being? Or when Mohammed did, or the Greeks, Romans, Egyptians, etc.?

Just because you say it's from a god doesn't make it so. And just because it's been incorporated into your society doesn't make it true. Been writing fanciful tales for as long as we've been writing at all. Why do we automatically give credence to religious books when fictional ones from the same period exist? How do we know which is which? Especially when religious ones are even more fanciful than deliberate fictional works?

So if I write a book and claim it's from God everyone should believe me? Like they did when Joseph Smith made that very claim and Mormonism came into being? Or when Mohammed did, or the Greeks, Romans, Egyptians, etc.?

Just because you say it's from a god doesn't make it so. And just because it's been incorporated into your society doesn't make it true. Been writing fanciful tales for as long as we've been writing at all. Why do we automatically give credence to religious books when fictional ones from the same period exist? How do we know which is which? Especially when religious ones are even more fanciful than deliberate fictional works?
An example of a book which was written the same time period as the Old Testament?

An example of a book which was written the same time period as the Old Testament?

Have to look them up again, but I recently referred to Chinese 'sex manuals' going back 5,000 years ago, so you know, things like that. :)

Have to look them up again, but I recently referred to Chinese 'sex manuals' going back 5,000 years ago, so you know, things like that. :)
Yes I have. Please give me your choice of works. There are several. Plato would be a logical choice but even the mention of that is high blasphemy.

"There’s no better illustration of the fragility and the power of literature than the history of “The Epic of Gilgamesh,” the oldest known literary work, composed in Babylonia more than 3,000 years ago."
The oldest story ever written - Salon.com

Epic's creation story by the way is what Genesis is based upon and the paralells and similarities between the two are striking. Can actually read the Epic here:

The Epic of Gilgamish Index

Time c. 2697 BCE to 2nd century BCE
Title Oldest known book on Traditional Chinese Medicine (TCM)
Event

The first Yellow Emperor, Huang Di, is said to be the author of the first classic work on Traditional Chinese Medicine (c. 2697). The text itself is compiled by unknown authors in 200 BC. The first herbal medicine and acupuncture needles appear around 2500 BCE.
Oldest known book on Traditional Chinese Medicine TCM The New Medicine

While not a work of fiction per se', some Chinese medicine qualifies as fiction. :)

If we include cave paintings, the history of writing and telling stories goes back tens of thousands of years.

If we include cave paintings, the history of writing and telling stories goes back tens of thousands of years.
What? Did you just compare the word of God to a cave painting? You are kind of missing the point here.

I did. Is it being on paper what makes it more trustworthy? And being on a cave wall makes it less?

"The history of Aboriginal Australians is thought to have spanned 40,000 to 45,000 years, although some estimates have put the figure at up to 80,000 years before European settlement."

Their Creation story:
Australian Aborigines Creation Story

Why is our's more credible than their's?

The Bible has some interesting parts, with all the murder, mayhem, sex, and war. However, most of it is rather tedious and downright boring. I prefer Poe, myself.

Someone stole the diamond! Who did it? D4E did it! D4E, "It was not me." OK, then who was it?

Let us use the same logic with the Bible. If you are saying God did not write the Bible then who did? Could have been Plato, right? He was one of the greatest writers of his time. Perhaps. Maybe Xenophon. Another possibility. It could very well have been that guy/girl who painted that antelope. Do you see what I am getting at here, D4E? If God did not write the Bible then who did? Give me a single author from the same time period who could have pulled off the Job and we have a discussion. Otherwise you are just seeing what sticks to the wall, and calling it art. And no, Poe did not write the Bible.

(Credit where credit is due. I prayed for guidance on this reply. As I try to do on most replies.)

give it a try....we'll check back in 2000 years and see if anyone remembers you.....

what message did they give us?......
A message somewhat less tedious than biblical tales of supernatural entities returning to once again wipe humanity from the planet.

Although, I'd admit that a talking snake in the bibles is more entertaining than mere paintings of wildlife.

Forum List

Back