Does welfare make people lazy?

funny leftardz; they created more jobs when Republicans ran things. they must have just got "greedy" when your Messiah got elected

idiots and hypocrites

I know you are new here and trying to build some street cred

But your child-like taunts really aren't impressing anyone. You have alot of competition from our rightwing posters in baiting liberals

You just aren't that good at it

if you cant rebut what i posted with facts and logic; then why dont you go cry?

Rebut?

Rebut what? I know you are struggling here, but your posts lack substance outside your taunts. There are many, many conservative posters on this board who are worth the time for serious rebuttal and debate....You are not

RW,
Now, what did you have to do that for? You scared him off, just when he was getting fun....

The guy is trying hard.....but he really isn't worth any serious replies. Its like trying to have a serious discussion with a ten year old

Does welfare make people lazy? - The Week

The best way to measure whether the unemployed are behaving lazily is by examining the ratio of job seekers to job openings. If the problem is that unemployed people are slacking off work to enjoy the fruits of government welfare, we would expect to see a shortage of labor in the economy. Employers trying to recruit workers to expand their businesses would come up against the fact that job seekers are in short supply. Job vacancies would go unfilled and wages would be bid upward as businesses fight to recruit scarce labor away from the easy option of free welfare money. In such a scenario, cutting welfare would incentivize work, and help businesses fill vacancies.

And here is where the evidence undercuts conservative attacks on welfare. The data shows decisively that the problem is not laziness at all, but a lack of job openings. There are still three jobseekers for every job opening. In the dark days following the 2008 recession, that ratio was as high as seven people for every job opening. Wage growth remains weak. Surely there are still people who would rather claim welfare than try to work, but with so few jobs available, these people don't make a real difference. Trying to nudge them off welfare won't expand the supply of jobs. It would increase the number of people looking for a job — and remember, there are already not enough jobs for those seeking employment

lack of job openings for the last half a century? lets see spme satats on how many on Welfare are actually getting the open jobs vs how many currently employed are switching to those positions. funny how in our company we have hire easily over 1000 people in the last year due to expasion, retirment and turnover. not one of them had their previous position listed as welfare. infact not one applicant came from someone on welfare

See what happens when you ask a con a direct question? They are forced to admit that their talking points are absolute bullshit.

So if giving handouts are an incentive not to produce, does that mean conservatives are in favor of cutting all corporate tax breaks and subsidies?

when individuals on welfare start creating jobs, providing benefits, making product, increasing the GDP, doing research and development come talk to us. untol then, shevle your old, worn out, tired argument that has no bearing or similarity to this diccussion.

The best way to measure whether the unemployed are behaving lazily is by examining the ratio of job seekers to job openings. If the problem is that unemployed people are slacking off work to enjoy the fruits of government welfare, we would expect to see a shortage of labor in the economy. Employers trying to recruit workers to expand their businesses would come up against the fact that job seekers are in short supply. Job vacancies would go unfilled and wages would be bid upward as businesses fight to recruit scarce labor away from the easy option of free welfare money. In such a scenario, cutting welfare would incentivize work, and help businesses fill vacancies.

And here is where the evidence undercuts conservative attacks on welfare. The data shows decisively that the problem is not laziness at all, but a lack of job openings. There are still three jobseekers for every job opening. In the dark days following the 2008 recession, that ratio was as high as seven people for every job opening. Wage growth remains weak. Surely there are still people who would rather claim welfare than try to work, but with so few jobs available, these people don't make a real difference. Trying to nudge them off welfare won't expand the supply of jobs. It would increase the number of people looking for a job — and remember, there are already not enough jobs for those seeking employment

lack of job openings for the last half a century? lets see spme satats on how many on Welfare are actually getting the open jobs vs how many currently employed are switching to those positions. funny how in our company we have hire easily over 1000 people in the last year due to expasion, retirment and turnover. not one of them had their previous position listed as welfare. infact not one applicant came from someone on welfare

Maybe that is because there is no such government program under the name of "Welfare".

My evidence is anecdotal - certainly doesn't outweigh the statistics that will give "the big picture" - but I've seen able-bodied folks who are all too content to gobble up every bit of aid they can get (both public and private) rather than take the entry-level type jobs that they are qualified for.

It always appeared to me that they work just as hard jumping through the hoops to get the aide as they would work at a job. I do have a bit of a problem with the move toward making the act of receiving aid so much easier and so much more confidential. Maybe there should be a little bit of stigma attached to it - for adults.

And I think we need to target aid a little better. I believe the idea of showering a community with aid in the hopes that enough of that aid will find its way into the hands that really need it, is just plain wrong. I am convinced that there is abuse in the assistance programs and I think there are many bureaucrats who accept that all too easily.

just mho

My evidence is anecdotal - certainly doesn't outweigh the statistics that will give "the big picture" - but I've seen able-bodied folks who are all too content to gobble up every bit of aid they can get (both public and private) rather than take the entry-level type jobs that they are qualified for.

It always appeared to me that they work just as hard jumping through the hoops to get the aide as they would work at a job. I do have a bit of a problem with the move toward making the act of receiving aid so much easier and so much more confidential. Maybe there should be a little bit of stigma attached to it - for adults.

And I think we need to target aid a little better. I believe the idea of showering a community with aid in the hopes that enough of that aid will find its way into the hands that really need it, is just plain wrong. I am convinced that there is abuse in the assistance programs and I think there are many bureaucrats who accept that all too easily.

just mho

What you see is not always as it appears.

As a recruiter and temp agency owner, I found something quite interesting. Welfare, unemployment and other government assistance programs did not necessarily make them lazy. To the contrary, it enabled them to make a pretty good living.

I would call them with an entry level job at 35K...or a temp assignment at 20 an hour...

And many would do the math with me on the phone....they would say...

Well, I get 400 a week in unemployment and both of my sisters would pay me $10 each an hour to babysit ( off the books) while they are at work.....so I am making 1200 a week of which only the unemployment is taxable...giving me a net of $1100 a week or over 55K a year ...or I can take your job at 35K a year giving me a net of 28K a year.

What would you do?

Lazy? No. Entrepreneurial? Yes.

See what happens when you ask a con a direct question? They are forced to admit that their talking points are absolute bullshit.

simply hilarious hypocrisy coming from morons who are calling record welfare and good stamps under obama "forward progress"

just mho

What you see is not always as it appears.

As a recruiter and temp agency owner, I found something quite interesting. Welfare, unemployment and other government assistance programs did not necessarily make them lazy. To the contrary, it enabled them to make a pretty good living.

I would call them with an entry level job at 35K...or a temp assignment at 20 an hour...

And many would do the math with me on the phone....they would say...

Well, I get 400 a week in unemployment and both of my sisters would pay me $10 each an hour to babysit ( off the books) while they are at work.....so I am making 1200 a week of which only the unemployment is taxable...giving me a net of $1100 a week or over 55K a year ...or I can take your job at 35K a year giving me a net of 28K a year.

What would you do?

Lazy? No. Entrepreneurial? Yes.

Well yeah, I believe that off-the-books income is a big issue too.

Of course it doesn't. It just keeps them from having to work for someone else. It also gets them all benefits like medical insurance and cell phones free, and housing almost free. I worked in the projects for several years and there is a thriving underground economy there, everything from cigarettes to heroin. It is all profit. The welfare class works via the underground cash only commerce system. No middle class working American has it quite this rich.

Last edited:
Time for some more photos...the loonies have drifted back in.

Detroit...BTW - they received $300,000,000 to remove the buildings.
$300 MILLION...you think it cost that much to remove 20 buildings? really?

130927073043-detroit-abandoned-building-620xa.jpg

Maybe that is because there is no such government program under the name of "Welfare".

Nice try, tough guy.

HRA/DSS - Our Services - Cash Assistance

Some people are shut out of attaining the standard by forces largely beyond their control. A lack of jobs for instance. You are automatically ascribing sinister motives and alternatives to honest people trapped in a market that no longer provides a ladder from poverty into the middle class. In fact, that market no longer provides a ladder up through the middle class.

The market does provide it, what it doesn't provide is an instant middle class existence without either 1) hard work or 2) an education. or 3) time. We are talking <10% unemployment here, not 30%. If you want to find A job you can find one, you just might not find THE job.

And making poor life decisions does not constitute "forces beyond your control"
The middle class jobs that USED to be here in the Rust Belt are gone, and gone forever. New jobs have not replaced the old middle class jobs. Once, one could graduate high school, get a job in a mill or pottery or refractory and be set. That individual could buy a house, a car, raise a family and have a little left over for retirement. But today, there are no longer those opportunities for a pathway to middle class contentment.

Flipping burgers, cleaning hotel rooms, cashiering at a convenience store are not the types of jobs necessary to sustain a vibrant middle class. And a vibrant middle class is necessary to sustain the American economy.

Holding two, three, four jobs and working 45, 50, 70 hours a week is not the way to build healthy families.

has this administration, that campaigned so hard and made so many promises to get the swing vote of the rust belt states in two elections delivered on his promises and improved the region?

I totally agree with your point, low wage jobs are not a way to get ahead. infact, for the most part they rarely meet the need to make ends meet. We allow our politicians to make broad buket statement like I created 4 million jobs. and we all clap our hands and say, great job. but that message should be made to include facts like. well yes we created 4 million jobs, but at the same time there were also 3 million lost. We started with 15 million workers out of work, now we have 22 million out of work. We created 4 million jobs. 3 million were part time, 1 million were full time. $2.5 million were in the $25 - 35K a year range. 1 million were in the $35 - 50K range. .5 million were greater than $50K a year.

Bottom line, our politicians are not working for us. but they do their best to paint a picture that they are

So if giving handouts are an incentive not to produce, does that mean conservatives are in favor of cutting all corporate tax breaks and subsidies?

when individuals on welfare start creating jobs, providing benefits, making product, increasing the GDP, doing research and development come talk to us. untol then, shevle your old, worn out, tired argument that has no bearing or similarity to this diccussion.

LOL, you really think corporations create jobs? Hahaha.

So you're ok with handouts, just not to people who need it. Got it.

Nice try, tough guy.

HRA/DSS - Our Services - Cash Assistance

Nope. Did not see the word "Welfare" on the entire site.

Forum List

Back