Dollar Tree is closing nearly 400 more Family Dollar stores.

Here in the whitey burbs where I am, our neighborhood Dollar General is a barn on a lot all by itself. It's nice. It sits right in the middle of where all of the whitey burbs intersect. We have it locked out pretty good. And they have way better stuff than the dollar General stores seen in the strip malls in city limits. It's cozy, too.

They have those nice seasonal candles, too. You know the ones similar to Yankee candles?

Not surprising. Dollar General is pretty much inundating the market with competing stores.

Because Dollar General is REALLY a low priced bargain store.
They are great.
what ever happened to the 5&dime stores?
~S~

I think Dollar general is better than Family Dollar, but I still try to go there as little as possible just because the stores are claustrophobic. The one closest to me has very narrow aisles, always has inventory sitting in those aisles, etc. It is pretty junky. They do do, however, have the detergent and dishwasher soap we use. I wait until it is on sale and then buy like six months worth at a time.

They have over 15 Thousand stores
Are you saying it like it's a good thing ?
This is one of the direct results of NAFTA which has been undermining our economy for 2 1/2 decades. Every 10 Dollar Generals is like another Wal Mart to the local economies and small businesses who can't compete with shitty unfair trade deals.

Welcom to 2019, nothing is the same any more

Last edited:
The only effect of this for me is that whenever we drive past one, the wife does a pretty good job of saying "Family Dollar" using a Japanese accent. I find it quite politically incorrect.

Forum List

Back