Don’t recharge it just replace it

When you go to fill your tank with gas, it may take 5 minutes.

To recharge your EV it takes maybe an hour while you sit and wait.

There is a much faster way to charge your EV, instead of sitting and waiting, why not just exchange your discharged battery with a charged one?

View attachment 836377

You drive up to a battery exchange site, much like a gas station today only it is more like a car drive though wash where you drive your car between two rails until the red light flashed to stop. A mechanical arm reaches up, removing your discharged battery, replacing your discharged one with a charged one. Your used battery is checked, and you are given credit for any remaining charge still in the battery.

The turn around time maybe five minutes

Comments pro or con welcome
already in production

There is a much faster way to charge your EV, instead of sitting and waiting, why not just exchange your discharged battery with a charged one?

View attachment 836377

You drive up to a battery exchange site, much like a gas station today only it is more like a car drive though wash where you drive your car between two rails until the red light flashed to stop. A mechanical arm reaches up, removing your discharged battery, replacing your discharged one with a charged one. Your used battery is checked, and you are given credit for any remaining charge still in the battery.

It's a case of getting manufacturers sticking to one two or three formats. It's like just asking manufacturers to stick to Makita, Milwaukee, and De Walt only. Or you could legislate to say EV batteries must be socket xxxx.

It would make sense to just swap the battery, but that's decades away, if at all it would happen between brands. It means, you buy the car, not the battery, and you pay for the charge.

A crazy question to ask? Full-time? Uh no, no more. I advaced up. You can’t put in a 1000lb assembly without a lift or help. Where do you install it? There is no door on a Tesla to slide it in/out? Get off me!

my first job was in a Gas station. i tried to do all my own work when poor. Now Ive learned to hire experts for todays more complicated mechanical electrical mix.

is this where you post “you’re a lying corksucker” and go elsewhere?
Today's EV's cannot support any form of battery swapping. But what if future EVs
Used a backplane or bus for connecting smaller battery cells
Say 100 cells at 12 pounds each.
Software would control usage at each cell and as cells are depleted usage swaps to other cells and the depleted cells are "marked" for changing/charging.

A driver can pull into a "service station" the battery compartment is opened and depleted cells swapped for charged cells and the compartment closed.
or
If time permits the driver can charge the existing cells at a charger station or at home.

Picture the evolution of EVs today at a point where in the evolution of the automobile the driver turned a crank on the front of the engine to start the car.

If we, as a society, are going to demand suburbia and ignore mass transit then, over time, EVs are the only viable solution.

Today's EV's cannot support any form of battery swapping. But what if future EVs
Software would control usage at each cell and as cells are depleted usage swaps to other cells and the depleted cells are "marked" for changing/charging.

A driver can pull into a "service station" the battery compartment is opened and depleted cells swapped for charged cells and the compartment closed.
or
If time permits the driver can charge the existing cells at a charger station or at home.

Picture the evolution of EVs today at a point where in the evolution of the automobile the driver turned a crank on the front of the engine to start the car.

If we, as a society, are going to demand suburbia and ignore mass transit then, over time, EVs are the only viable solution.
look at post 21. this is already in production

or

the batteries are in series mostly. Some groups parallel I would imagine. They are in series to crank up the voltage to 42V or other. You cannot easily tell which one it is. My best guess.

View attachment 836377

Tesla was swapping batteries in 90 seconds. I don't think it ever caught on. Batteries degrade over time. If you have a brand new Tesla do you really want to go to a swapping station and have your brand new battery pack swapped out for a 10 year old degraded battery pack?

I think it would be more viable for fleet vehicles such as police cars, taxi cabs or delivery vehicles.

Tesla was swapping batteries in 90 seconds. I don't think it ever caught on. Batteries degrade over time. If you have a brand new Tesla do you really want to go to a swapping station and have your brand new battery pack swapped out for a 10 year old degraded battery pack?

I think it would be more viable for fleet vehicles such as police cars, taxi cabs or delivery vehicles.
For the idea to work, you buy the car but not the battery. So rather than charging, you just pull up to the battery garage, they swap it out and you just pay for whatever charge is in the battery.

With an ICE vehicle, I suppose you could just put in a couple of gallons, but swapping batteries means paying for a full charge.

Forum List

Back