Don't Republicans know the law?

what Republicans don't know evidently: is how petty and shallow these old washed up musicians are who is Democrats. typical

Neither Survivor or REM gave permission to use their music

Its not like they were playing the songs at a birthday party, both were very visible public rallies

Stephanie is pretty typical of rabid RWs - they think they should just take what they want and not have to pay their own way.
Very true....and how dare we question their "god-given right".

I am sure Ted Nugent will allow any of them to use Free-For-All. Seems fitting even.

Last edited:
"Go f*ck yourselves, the lot of you -- you sad, attention-grabbing, power-hungry little men,"

Who is the power hungry little man here?!?

Is that a trick question or a true idiotic one? The one who OWNS the rights to the song that he created gets to decide who can use it & when.

what Republicans don't know evidently: is how petty and shallow these old washed up musicians are who is Democrats. typical

Neither Survivor or REM gave permission to use their music

Its not like they were playing the songs at a birthday party, both were very visible public rallies

omg, the world is now going to end because of it. hell they should be thanking them for getting out the old music to the youngsters . they might buy a couple CDs or something.

I bet you are a Katy Perry fan- aren'tcha, little girl?

True. The only relevancy some of these washed-up artists have had in years, is the fact that some Republican is using one of their songs. What attention whores.

Yep, all they care is about is: THE MONEY they didn't get for them using a couple minuets of their song . but again: a typical Democrat. lol

Yep, all they care is about is: THE MONEY they didn't get for them using a couple minuets of their song . but again: a typical Democrat. lol

Actually you dope, if they were in line with the platform/ideologies of the politicians... then they wouldn't mind. They don't want to be associated with those candidates because it's implied that they endorse them. You really are immature in your thinking, it shows with every post you make.

True. The only relevancy some of these washed-up artists have had in years, is the fact that some Republican is using one of their songs. What attention whores.

You mean they are Capitalists?

I thought the Republican Party was built to support Capitalism?

Don't Stop Thinking about Tomorrow

:eusa_whistle:

Had to reach back that far, did ya? You would have thought (R)s would have learned by that mistake... LOL... that would require a brain. Besides 'Survivor' [used more than once] & REM...

G.O.P. Candidates Are Told, Don’t Use the Verses, It’s Not Your Song
Romney and Gingrich Pull Songs After Complaints
By JAMES C. McKINLEY Jr.FEB. 3, 2012

"...Mitt Romney and Newt Gingrich were forced this week to stop using songs at their rallies after songwriters complained that the campaigns had played the pieces without permission. Strike another two songs from the Republican playlist: “Eye of the Tiger,” by Survivor, and “Wavin’ Flag,” by the Somali-born musician K’naan...."

"...In 2008 Jackson Browne successfully sued Senator McCain and the Ohio Republican Party for using his hit “Running on Empty” as the music for a campaign ad attacking the energy policies of Barack Obama. He won an undisclosed cash settlement and a public apology from Senator McCain. Two years later David Byrne sued Gov. Charlie Crist of Florida for using the Talking Heads’ “Road to Nowhere” in a commercial attacking his opponent Marco Rubio. The governor paid an undisclosed penalty and post a videotaped apology on the Internet..."

"...In 2010 Don Henley, a longtime supporter of Democratic candidates, won a copyright lawsuit against Chuck DeVore, a conservative California Republican candidate for the Senate. Mr. DeVore had used satirical lyrics set to the backing tracks of Mr. Henley’s “Boys of Summer” and “All She Wants to Do Is Dance” to attack his opponent, Senator Barbara Boxer..."

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/02/04/a...ingrich-pull-songs-after-complaints.html?_r=0

Politics
Jun 16 2015, 11:04 pm ET
Stop Rockin': Neil Young Blasts Donald Trump for Using Classic Song Without Clearance
By Eric Ortiz

In kicking off his Republican campaign for president, real estate tycoon Donald Trump took the stage Tuesday to the Neil Young classic "Rockin' in the Free World."

But a statement later released by Young's longtime manager said the blustery billionaire wasn't free to use that song.

"Donald Trump was not authorized to use 'Rockin' In The Free World' in his presidential candidacy announcement. Neil Young, a Canadian citizen, is a supporter of Bernie Sanders for President of the United States Of America," manager Elliot Roberts said in an email to MSNBC. (Sanders is running for president as a Democrat.)..."

"...
This wouldn't be the first time that a politician has hit a sour note with a musician or been publicly scolded for using their song on the campaign trail.
'I Won't Back Down'

In 2000, Tom Petty told George W. Bush to back down from using his 1989 hit.

Petty's music publisher sent a letter demanding the then-presidential candidate to stop using it at rallies because it gave "the impression that you and your campaign have been endorsed by Tom Petty, which is not true."

'American Girl'
Tom Petty also didn't appreciate Michele Bachmann using another one of his songs when she was running for president in 2011.

Bachmann strode onto stage at one rally with the 1977 song "American Girl" playing. Petty's team later sent her campaign a cease and desist letter, Rolling Stone magazine reported.

'Barracuda'
Sarah Palin made her entrance at the 2008 Republican National Convention to Heart's 1977 hit. But sisters Ann and Nancy Wilson were quick to pounce when the former vice presidential candidate used it.

"The song 'Barracuda' was written in the late 70s as a scathing rant against the soulless, corporate nature of the music business, particularly for women," the sisters said in a statement to Entertainment Weekly at the time. "While Heart did not and would not authorize the use of their song at the RNC, there's irony in Republican strategists' choice to make use of it there."

'Our Country'
Palin's 2008 running mate, John McCain, got into his own clash with a prominent artist when John Mellencamp asked him not to use his 2007 song. (McCain's slogan at the time was, "Country First.")

Coincidentally, the song, which includes the lyrics, "Help the poor and common man," was also used by Democratic candidate John Edwards. Mellencamp had joined Edwards at one of his campaign rallies.

'I'm Shipping Up to Boston'
In another recent case of unhappy artists, the punk band the Dropkick Murphys tweeted to Wisconsin Gov. Scott Walker to stop using the 2005 song, which was penned with folk singer Woody Guthrie..."

Stop Rockin': Neil Young Blasts Donald Trump for Using Classic Song Without Clearance

Last edited:
R.E.M. bashes Trump, Cruz for using 'It's the End of the World' at rally

By Holly Yan, CNN

Updated 8:38 PM ET, Thu September 10, 2015 | Video Source: CNN

(CNN)
Donald Trump has been blaring R.E.M. on the campaign trail, and the band doesn't feel fine about it.

The GOP presidential candidate took to the podium Wednesday on the steps of Capitol Hill to slam President Barack Obama's proposed Iran nuclear deal. His walk-up music? R.E.M.'s 1987 hit "It's the End of the World as We Know It (And I Feel Fine)."

Rival candidate Sen. Ted Cruz, whom Trump acknowledged having a political "romance" with, was the one who invited Trump to speak at the rally.

R.E.M. frontman Michael Stipe was livid after the use of his band's song at the event.

"Go f*ck yourselves, the lot of you -- you sad, attention-grabbing, power-hungry little men," Stipe said in an email to The Daily Beast. "Do not use our music or my voice for your moronic charade of a campaign."

The band's post on Facebook was slightly more diplomatic:

"While we do not authorize or condone the use of our music at this political event, and do ask that these candidates cease and desist from doing so, let us remember that there are things of greater importance at stake here," R.E.M. said.

"The media and the American voter should focus on the bigger picture, and not allow grandstanding politicians to distract us from the pressing issues of the day and of the current Presidential campaign."

'What's the frequency?'

In June, Trump used Neil Young's "Rockin' In The Free World" on the campaign trail -- much to the dismay of the rock legend.

"Donald Trump was not authorized to use 'Rockin' In The Free World' in his presidential candidacy announcement," Young's management company said in a statement. "Neil Young, a Canadian citizen, is a supporter of Bernie Sanders for President of the United States of America."

R.E.M. is the second major rock band this week to be roiled by the use of a song for a rally it didn't support.

Singer 'gobsmacked' over 'Eye of the Tiger' use 03:12
The Survivor hit "Eye of the Tiger" blared on loudspeakers as Kentucky clerk Kim Davis, who refused to issue same-sex marriage licenses, took to a stage after her release from jail.

Jim Peterik, the song's co-writer, told CNN he was "gobsmacked" when he heard his song play at the rally on national TV.

"I have not authorized the use of Eye of the Tiger for use by Kim Davis and my publisher will issue a C&D (cease and desist order). This does not reflect my views," Peterik tweeted....'

R.E.M. bashes Trump, Cruz for using 'It's the End of the World' - CNNPolitics.com
Who rally gives a fuck?

These over-paid ass holes could all go jump in the Mariana Trench for all I care.

I say rip them off and use their music till a judge says not to, the little bastards.

By Holly Yan, CNN

(CNN)
Donald Trump has been blaring R.E.M. on the campaign trail, and the band doesn't feel fine about it.

The GOP presidential candidate took to the podium Wednesday on the steps of Capitol Hill to slam President Barack Obama's proposed Iran nuclear deal. His walk-up music? R.E.M.'s 1987 hit "It's the End of the World as We Know It (And I Feel Fine)."

Rival candidate Sen. Ted Cruz, whom Trump acknowledged having a political "romance" with, was the one who invited Trump to speak at the rally.

R.E.M. frontman Michael Stipe was livid after the use of his band's song at the event.

"Go f*ck yourselves, the lot of you -- you sad, attention-grabbing, power-hungry little men," Stipe said in an email to The Daily Beast. "Do not use our music or my voice for your moronic charade of a campaign."

"While we do not authorize or condone the use of our music at this political event, and do ask that these candidates cease and desist from doing so, let us remember that there are things of greater importance at stake here," R.E.M. said.

"The media and the American voter should focus on the bigger picture, and not allow grandstanding politicians to distract us from the pressing issues of the day and of the current Presidential campaign."

'What's the frequency?'

In June, Trump used Neil Young's "Rockin' In The Free World" on the campaign trail -- much to the dismay of the rock legend.

"Donald Trump was not authorized to use 'Rockin' In The Free World' in his presidential candidacy announcement," Young's management company said in a statement. "Neil Young, a Canadian citizen, is a supporter of Bernie Sanders for President of the United States of America."

R.E.M. is the second major rock band this week to be roiled by the use of a song for a rally it didn't support.

The Survivor hit "Eye of the Tiger" blared on loudspeakers as Kentucky clerk Kim Davis, who refused to issue same-sex marriage licenses, took to a stage after her release from jail.

Jim Peterik, the song's co-writer, told CNN he was "gobsmacked" when he heard his song play at the rally on national TV.

"I have not authorized the use of Eye of the Tiger for use by Kim Davis and my publisher will issue a C&D (cease and desist order). This does not reflect my views," Peterik tweeted....'

R.E.M. bashes Trump, Cruz for using 'It's the End of the World' - CNNPolitics.com
Who rally gives a fuck?

These over-paid ass holes could all go jump in the Mariana Trench for all I care.

I say rip them off and use their music till a judge says not to, the little bastards.

LOL, & if they do... they can be sued for everytime they play those tunes:woohoo: after being warned not to. THAT's 'fiscal' conservatism at its very best.

By Holly Yan, CNN

(CNN)

'What's the frequency?'

Who rally gives a fuck?

typical whiney followers of the Democrats. sheesh
and get that TITLE from CNN what is suppose to be a Reputable source for political news. blaaa blaaa BASHES trump and cruz. that's shit you read in National enquire

By Holly Yan, CNN

(CNN)

'What's the frequency?'

Who rally gives a fuck?

typical whiney followers of the Democrats. sheesh
and get that TITLE from CNN what is suppose to be a Reputable source for political news. blaaa blaaa BASHES trump and cruz. that's shit you read in National enquire

When you can't argue intelligently, always go for the 'source'... CNN is among dozens reporting the same thing... Go change your diaper little girl...

Could be that the Republicans figure if the song's been out for a while the musicians are dead by now.

lol, that's one way to look at it.
good gawd making a stink over a song. you'd think they would thank them for getting it back out into the public and as Free advertising. but nooooo, they'd rather show their disdain for a Republican and cut their nose off to spite their face.

it's like give us a break.

Forum List

Back