Don't think we live in a police state?

This guy was an idiot. The entire situation could have been avoided by rolling down his window in the first place. He didn't want the police to check his license and let him through. His intent was to stir up shit from the beginning. He even had his camera ready for the inevitable shitstorm. Need proof we don't live in a police state? This idiot walked away with his teeth intact.
Because your natural instinct is to submit to oppressive conduct by police you should not assume everyone is similarly submissive.

I personally have no problem with properly conducted DUI checkpoints, because they serve an important and necessary purpose. But I have a big problem with police who have acquired the notion this is the old East Germany and they are the Stasi. And it's important to note that one common reason why police acquire that attitude is the prevalence of authoritarian submissive individuals who are content to put up with the kind of oppressive treatment we saw in the video. Regardless of that young man's motives he did us all a favor by calling attention to something which should not be tolerated.

The ostensible purpose of that checkpoint was to examine the condition of drivers for the singular purpose of detecting DUI. The proper procedure calls for the police officer to politely request citizen cooperation -- not to behave like North Korean border guards.

When the officer ordered that driver to "Roll your window down!," the driver was perfectly within his rights to politely ask why, which is what he did. And the officer is required to politely inform him of the reason -- which is a DUI inspection. But you saw what actually transpired. And if that sort of behavior is alright with you let me assure you it is not alright with many other Americans who simply don't like being treated as if this is not America anymore.

While it has been made legal to stop cars for the purpose of randomly inspecting for DUI, it is not legal to stop cars to randomly search for drugs -- which is exactly what the driver in the video was subjected to. His Fourth Amendment protection was clearly violated. And I hope the uniformed bullies who violated it are fired and their supervisors are appropriately sanctioned.

As to your conclusion that the young man was lucky he was able to walk away without losing teeth, let me assure you the only reason it ended that way is having discovered the camera those cops could not be sure they were not being subjected to a state Internal Affairs investigation.

I am eager to learn if that driver has lodged a complaint and what the outcome is.

So then why did the kid start off by refusing to cooperate?

You say that you see the reason for the checkpoint yet defend this little asshole who refuses to cooperate in normal police business...
The officer wasn't the smart ass, this punk kid was.......

And if you can't see and admit that after claiming that the police were there to do their job then you have a problem.

I personally have no problem with properly conducted DUI checkpoints, because they serve an important and necessary purpose.

HUH?

Legalize Drunk Driving

"But there's a more fundamental point. What precisely is being criminalized? Not bad driving. Not destruction of property. Not the taking of human life or reckless endangerment. The crime is having the wrong substance in your blood. Yet it is possible, in fact, to have this substance in your blood, even while driving, and not commit anything like what has been traditionally called a crime.

What have we done by permitting government to criminalize the content of our blood instead of actions themselves? We have given it power to make the application of the law arbitrary, capricious, and contingent on the judgment of cops and cop technicians. Indeed, without the government's "Breathalyzer," there is no way to tell for sure if we are breaking the law."

"Roll your window down" is not any reason for anyone to start a confrontation. What the kid did was automatically place the officer on alert...

Whoever thinks he/she is living in a police state in the USA, obviously have never been in a police state.

So, the answer is; no, you are not living in a police state. In fact you are living in one of the most free states one can live in, at least on this planet.
And you either are too young to remember a time when such conduct by police would not be tolerated in America, or you are a textbook authoritarian submissive personality. Because what you just watched is a brazenly bullying violation of the spirit and intention of the Fourth Amendment which has been facilitated by a series of deviously constructed evasions of our Constitutional protections. It certainly is police state behavior.

You should have no doubt that had this perfectly innocent young man not complied with the demands of those uniformed goons, whose obvious primary motivation was to assert their authority, they would have broken his window, hauled him out of his car, smashed him face down on the pavement, handcuffed him, and quite possibly have planted drugs in his car to justify their bullying.

This is a perfect example of why hatred for police is increasing in America. Unfortunately, police who do not behave this way are stigmatized by this type of goon. This young man, who probably is a very ordinary, decent, law-abiding, productive citizen will never forget this experience and will always harbor resentment for the police. And throughout his life when he hears or reads about police officers killed in the line of duty his response will be appropriately affected by this experience.

You’re obviously unaware of the fact that this type of conduct has always occurred in America, the difference between today and 50 years ago is that we weren’t aware of it 50 years ago. And this conduct by police is just as unacceptable today was it was 50 years ago.

Before the advent of personal recording devices and the web, such incidents were rarely known to the general public, but they happened just the same. Consequently, the notion that the police are more abusive today and that the abuse is on the rise is only perception, not fact.

And we have the element of ignorance, where isolated, incidental, and anecdotal manifestations of ‘abuse’ by law enforcement in no way constitutes a ‘police state,’ nor are such acts representative of law enforcement as a whole.

Again, the OP is engaging in partisan hyperbole and hysteria, attempting to contrive a reality of a ‘police state’ where indeed none exists; otherwise he is merely exhibiting his ignorance on the subject.

I looked at all of them. One reports another, and neither of them is anything I would trust.
One takes you to Micheal Savage who claims the troops are already here.... Really? Where are they?

So I went a little deeper....Couldn't find 15,000 Russian troops anywhere in the USA...

What I found was an agreement of cooperation.....

The Russian Emergency Situations Ministry and the USA Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA) are going to exchange experts during joint rescue operations in major disasters. This is provided by a protocol of the fourth meeting of the U.S.-Russia Bilateral Presidential Commission Working Group on Emergency Situations and seventeenth meeting of Joint U.S.-Russia Cooperation Committee on Emergency Situations, which took place in Washington on 25 June.

The document provides for expert cooperation in disaster response operations and to study the latest practices.

In addition, the parties approved of U.S.-Russian cooperation in this field in 2013-2014, which envisages exchange of experience including in monitoring and forecasting emergency situations, training of rescuers, development of mine-rescuing and provision of security at mass events.

At the end of the meeting the parties expressed their satisfaction with the level of cooperation between the Russian Federation and the United States in the area of emergency prevention and response and agreed to develop it in order to respond efficiently to all kinds of disasters.

And I'm not even positive about this.........

Several documents signed during joint work of Russian Emergency Ministry and FEMA

Gee, here i am a 60 year old rough tough take no shit retired Sergeant and I have never had a negative problem with the police.

I've been pulled over at check points and got a ticket for a tag that was expired by one day...Officer didn't care that I was out of town and on my way home...Oh well, i should have taken care of it before i left....

I've been pulled over for suspicion of DUI... Played the game straight, answered their questions and moved on.

Got pulled over by border patrol, answered their questions and moved on in less than 3 minutes.

And I've had two officer pull me over for speeding and neither gave me a ticket.

Then there was the one who helped me change a flat tire...

Police state? I think not. Idiots who want to push the limits...yeah they are out there.....

Rough and tough take no shit from people of lower rank than you is what you mean. You're no threat to the police. They can read in your demeanor a lifetime of obeying orders no matter how stupid so as not to jeopardize your pension. We are slowly becoming a police state, not there yet, but you're the type that will be ratting out the rebels to the authorities when the police state does get here, that's for sure.

Bullshit. plain simple bullshit.
I'd say he has a point.

Let's face it, you've been conditioned for obedience to superimposed (uniformed) authority. I'd give that some thought rather than assuming everyone who simply is not instinctually submissive is wrong.

You saw the video. That cop was out of line from the start. He had no business issuing orders in that manner -- and he wasn't at all prepared to deal properly with someone who was not willing to submit to his inappropriate demand for compliance. He is required to politely inform the citizen of the reason for the stop, which he flatly refused to do. And while a random DUI stop is legal a random drug search is not. So how do you explain the K-9 search?

This guy was an idiot. The entire situation could have been avoided by rolling down his window in the first place. He didn't want the police to check his license and let him through. His intent was to stir up shit from the beginning. He even had his camera ready for the inevitable shitstorm. Need proof we don't live in a police state? This idiot walked away with his teeth intact.
Because your natural instinct is to submit to oppressive conduct by police you should not assume everyone is similarly submissive.

I personally have no problem with properly conducted DUI checkpoints, because they serve an important and necessary purpose. But I have a big problem with police who have acquired the notion this is the old East Germany and they are the Stasi. And it's important to note that one common reason why police acquire that attitude is the prevalence of authoritarian submissive individuals who are content to put up with the kind of oppressive treatment we saw in the video. Regardless of that young man's motives he did us all a favor by calling attention to something which should not be tolerated.

The ostensible purpose of that checkpoint was to examine the condition of drivers for the singular purpose of detecting DUI. The proper procedure calls for the police officer to politely request citizen cooperation -- not to behave like North Korean border guards.

When the officer ordered that driver to "Roll your window down!," the driver was perfectly within his rights to politely ask why, which is what he did. And the officer is required to politely inform him of the reason -- which is a DUI inspection. But you saw what actually transpired. And if that sort of behavior is alright with you let me assure you it is not alright with many other Americans who simply don't like being treated as if this is not America anymore.

While it has been made legal to stop cars for the purpose of randomly inspecting for DUI, it is not legal to stop cars to randomly search for drugs -- which is exactly what the driver in the video was subjected to. His Fourth Amendment protection was clearly violated. And I hope the uniformed bullies who violated it are fired and their supervisors are appropriately sanctioned.

As to your conclusion that the young man was lucky he was able to walk away without losing teeth, let me assure you the only reason it ended that way is having discovered the camera those cops could not be sure they were not being subjected to a state Internal Affairs investigation.

I am eager to learn if that driver has lodged a complaint and what the outcome is.

So then why did the kid start off by refusing to cooperate?

You say that you see the reason for the checkpoint yet defend this little asshole who refuses to cooperate in normal police business...
The officer wasn't the smart ass, this punk kid was.......

And if you can't see and admit that after claiming that the police were there to do their job then you have a problem.
I said I personally have no problem with properly conducted DUI stops. Two important words which should not be ignored. If you believe that cop's conduct was proper I'd say you have a problem.

The "little asshole" was perfectly polite and respectful in his speech and demeanor. The cop came on like a drill sergeant. Your willingness to submit to that sort of thing has to do with your personal orientation, which is not common to everyone else.

The little asshole was looking for a confrontation. No if's and's or but's about it.

I could do the same thing with cops that I call friends. And they would get tough with me, if that's what I was looking for and setting out to do.... Fact is this kid pushed it from the first word. And he did it on purpose.

The little asshole was looking for a confrontation. No if's and's or but's about it.

I could do the same thing with cops that I call friends. And they would get tough with me, if that's what I was looking for and setting out to do.... Fact is this kid pushed it from the first word. And he did it on purpose.

um the officer knew he knew his rights and stated he was correct that he did nothing wrong.
The cops acted like an asshole and it was caught on tape. He abused his powers and stated the kid had no rights and they could be taken away.

Stick that head up their asses a little further.

It's a DUI checkpoint, a reasonable request was made for the kid to roll his window down. There is a reason for the request. The kid didn't want to do so. Why? Was he hiding the smell of alcohol or weed? As it turned out he was just being an asshole....

It's a DUI checkpoint, a reasonable request was made for the kid to roll his window down. There is a reason for the request. The kid didn't want to do so. Why? Was he hiding the smell of alcohol or weed? As it turned out he was just being an asshole....

officer said he was right and new the law. Cop decided to be an asshole over it.
Keep making excuses.

Why are 15K Russian troops being deployed for things like Super Bowl events and things of this nature? Why has the MSM ignored this fact? Why has Hussein intentionally violated Posse Commitatus?

Links........???????

His window was down. I do the same thing every time. No reason to give them a chance to sniff around and stick their fat heads in my vehicle...

Ollie, this is a controversy concerning Law in the civilian sector. If you were defending these cops in a civil trial, which is where this incident is likely heading, how would you go about it? I don't think you would refer to the plaintiff's conduct as "being an asshole" -- because the video clearly shows that boy as being perfectly respectful. He was within his rights to ask why he was stopped and being questioned and whether he was being detained. Instead, his car was subjected to a search.

"Roll your window down" is not any reason for anyone to start a confrontation. What the kid did was automatically place the officer on alert...

Like I said, he this whole thing was intentional. The kid knew that they would never bust him with anything but he was making a youtube video.

Technically speaking there is really no good reason to roll your window all the way down. Any DUI attorney will tell you that, but the second he refused he was in contempt of cop and cops aren't used to having informed people call them on some of their bullshit.

"Roll your window down" is not any reason for anyone to start a confrontation.
Yes it is -- if one's purpose is to test the strength and validity of one's civil rights and Constitutional protections, which is presicely what this boy was doing. And his action operated on behalf of your rights and mine as well as his own.

What the kid did was automatically place the officer on alert...
Alert -- for what? The boy politely asked a reasonable question, one which that dumb cop was required to answer.

The only thing that cop could have alerted to was the fact that this young fellow wasn't impressed with his obvious sense of self-importance and oppressive authority -- which obviously pissed him off and precipitated what looks to me like an illegal search.

A random DUI stop, which is legal, is not a random drug search -- which is illegal. (At least it was last time I looked. But if that's been made legal, too, one can only guess at what will be next.)

Forum List

Back