Down goes DOMA!!

you always had equal rights honey, now you are biting off more than you can chew.

Those benefits include divorce and being in a relationship with someone that doesn't pull their weight.

Not pulling their weight will not mean a damned in divorce court either.

Be careful what you ask for, you just might get it.

Run for the hills you fools

Simply not true.

And I would hate to think you are making some kind of veiled threat towards gay couples. I'm sure you aren't, right?

What the hell is wrong with you? Are you actually afraid of someone injuring you? Bullshit. The days of "rolling fags" are long over.

However, if you are implying that this ruling means that someone won't knock you on your ass for being stupid, then you are an idiot.

No, sadly, it is not. There have been several attacks in NYC alone lately:

Arrest made in wave of anti-gay attacks in New York City | Gay Star News

Latest NY gay attack ends with four teens arrested | Gay Star News

2 more reports of anti-gay attacks in NYC

Just on the first page of Google

good.I hope it does...I would love nothing more than the country to split into chunks...balkanization.

It's going to happen. No nation can withstand these kinds of stressors. Either that, or some other power will come in. Or, both. Igor Panarin, the man who predicted the breakup of the Soviet Union, predicted the breakup of the US too.

As if Things Weren't Bad Enough, Russian Professor Predicts End of U.S. - WSJ.com

No matter how to want to slice it, this nation is done.

"hate based"? Bill Clinton PUSHED for the legislation.

You might want to recheck that one.

On Friday, September 20, prior to signing the Defense of Marriage Act, President Clinton released the following statement:

Throughout my life I have strenuously opposed discrimination of any kind, including discrimination against gay and lesbian Americans. I am signing into law H.R. 3396, a bill relating to same-gender marriage, but it is important to note what this legislation does and does not do.

I have long opposed governmental recognition of same-gender marriages and this legislation is consistent with that position. The Act confirms the right of each state to determine its own policy with respect to same gender marriage and clarifies for purposes of federal law the operative meaning of the terms "marriage" and "spouse".

This legislation does not reach beyond those two provisions. It has no effect on any current federal, state or local anti-discrimination law and does not constrain the right of Congress or any state or locality to enact anti-discrimination laws. I therefore would take this opportunity to urge Congress to pass the Employment Non-Discrimination Act, an act which would extend employment discrimination protections to gays and lesbians in the workplace. This year the Senate considered this legislation contemporaneously with the Act I sign today and failed to pass it by a single vote. I hope that in its next Session Congress will pass it expeditiously.

I also want to make clear to all that the enactment of this legislation should not, despite the fierce and at times divisive rhetoric surrounding it, be understood to provide an excuse for discrimination, violence or intimidation against any person on the basis of sexual orientation. Discrimination, violence and intimidation for that reason, as well as others, violate the principle of equal protection under the law and have no place in American society.

That is his statement the night before signing the bill. Where is evidence that he and his people were in the forefront in introducing the bill and pushing it thru the House and Senate?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Defense_of_Marriage_Act

Having read thru the above Wiki link, not seeing where Clinton was instrumental in pushing DOMA.

Last edited:
That's a dumb libertarian talking point.

Marriage (dissolution of marriage) is about property.

Government's main function is to protect property (boundaries, ownership, possessions).

Lol...wrong. Marriage is a CONTRACT between 2 people absolutely no reason the government needs to be involved if its a divorce and only then the civil court needs involved.

There is no logical reason to limit it to two people.

I doubt that bigamy laws will stand, if challenged.

If a cluster wants a contract, the government should allow them to craft it, and register it at the courthouse.

if a cluster can find a church to marry them, then they can do that to.

Totally separate issues.

Yes there is. For government purposes, a marriage is a legal relationship between two people. Multi party contracts are nightmare to administer.

IMO, this entire mess is just another symptom of overreaching government into our private lives.

Government should have a structure for civil unions - and anyone who wishes to take on the liabilities of another to share benefits should be able to do so.

Marriage is a religious matter that should be left to the private Civil Society.

Flat taxes without the social engineering preferences would remove both incentives and disincentives to marry for fake marriages. Reforming health insurance so that it is an individual purchase instead of a benefit and ending government entitlements (privatize SS so that the money is owned by the individual, who can leave it to which beneficiary he so desires) would also eliminate government caused distortions.

Simply not true.

And I would hate to think you are making some kind of veiled threat towards gay couples. I'm sure you aren't, right?

What the hell is wrong with you? Are you actually afraid of someone injuring you? Bullshit. The days of "rolling fags" are long over.

However, if you are implying that this ruling means that someone won't knock you on your ass for being stupid, then you are an idiot.

Did you think it would be different? Isn't the same thing going on in France and England? Isn't the same thing going on in Sweden, in Malmo and Stockholm?

GayandRight: Muslims attack gays in Sweden...

France: Gay couple beaten in Paris for walking arm in arm - PinkNews.co.uk

Police alarm as anti-gay attacks rise | World news | The Observer

The Supreme Court can give us the law, but it can't change people.

Who is ignoring anything? Due process was done.

If the people of CA passed a handgun ban, would you have wanted it challenged?
Red herring.

Ignoring a constitutional amendment passed by the will of the people (remember that?) isn't upholding the law...It's ignoring it.

Not a red herring at all. A state constitutional amendment cannot go against the U.S. Constitution which is called the Supreme Law of the Land for a very good reason.

Let me ask you....if the majority of Californians voted to amend the CA state constitution to make gun ownership illegal...would you happily support the will of the people?

Again, and Im getting sick of repeating this over and over...

the 2nd amendment CLEARLY states the right to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed. In no place does the constitution say marriage is a right. To get to that you have to make intellectual leaps via case law using equal protection as a flimsy base.

good.I hope it does...I would love nothing more than the country to split into chunks...balkanization.

It's going to happen. No nation can withstand these kinds of stressors. Either that, or some other power will come in. Or, both. Igor Panarin, the man who predicted the breakup of the Soviet Union, predicted the breakup of the US too.

As if Things Weren't Bad Enough, Russian Professor Predicts End of U.S. - WSJ.com

No matter how to want to slice it, this nation is done.

I'm much more optimistic about our great country, Katzdogz. If you want to throw in the towel and give up....that's your choice. Are you leaving then?

Ok, I suspect that even the religious right has come to realize that they lost on this issue (although, they certainly have not given up on abortion, despite what the Supreme Court says). Anyone want to guess what their next social issue will be? The have got to feel like they are under siege. The School prayer thing also didn't work out for them. All the Blue laws in the South were repealed decades ago (i could not buy anything on Sunday except food and gasoline in Georgia until I was 26). Maybe they will shift to fighting efforts to repeal the ban on pot.

Last edited:
Red herring.

Ignoring a constitutional amendment passed by the will of the people (remember that?) isn't upholding the law...It's ignoring it.

Not a red herring at all. A state constitutional amendment cannot go against the U.S. Constitution which is called the Supreme Law of the Land for a very good reason.

Let me ask you....if the majority of Californians voted to amend the CA state constitution to make gun ownership illegal...would you happily support the will of the people?

Again, and Im getting sick of repeating this over and over...

the 2nd amendment CLEARLY states the right to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed. In no place does the constitution say marriage is a right. To get to that you have to make intellectual leaps via case law using equal protection as a flimsy base.

The 14th amendment states

Section 1. All persons born or naturalized in the United States, and subject to the jurisdiction thereof, are citizens of the United States and of the State wherein they reside. No State shall make or enforce any law which shall abridge the privileges or immunities of citizens of the United States; nor shall any State deprive any person of life, liberty, or property, without due process of law; nor deny to any person within its jurisdiction the equal protection of the laws

SINCE the states provide legal marriage licenses....they cannot deny the same right to gay couples without solid legal reasons.

Now...if the state stopped providing legal marriages, this would not have been an issue at all.

So...what have the anti-gay marriage people done to eliminate the state in marriage completely?
How many antii-gay marriage people have REFUSED to get a state marriage license because they seriously, deeply believe that the government should stay out of marriage?
How many anti-gay marriage people have fought to have those who got married only by a Justice of the Peace be declared not really married?

my only issue with this is that the SCOTUS has told the voters of california that their votes mean nothing and that the all powerful judicial branch will make laws from now on.

The will of the people (twice voted against gay marriage) has become worthless, Welcome to the United dictatorship of America.

my only issue with this is that the SCOTUS has told the voters of california that their votes mean nothing and that the all powerful judicial branch will make laws from now on.

The will of the people (twice voted against gay marriage) has become worthless, Welcome to the United dictatorship of America.

So...if the will of the people made gun ownership in CA illegal, you'd be cool with that?

I suspect that the Westbro Baptist church congregation was up all night painting new signs.

LOL....Those are some freaking nut cases.

You can't vote away someone else's rights! Sheesh...

I hope they have to stay in hellish marriages just to keep their big screens too.

or question like

why don't you like to cuddle after anal any more?
Do I look fat?
Why don't we talk any more?
are you finished yet?
did you take out the garbage?
Why do you always leave up the toilet seat?

Some Democrats viewed the legislation as politically motivated rather than a response to societal developments. Sen. Ted Kennedy of Massachusetts called DOMA the "Endangered Republican Candidates Act" and said it was "a mean-spirited form of legislative gay-bashing designed to inflame the public four months before the November election." Gay and lesbian rights organizations found there was little time to lobby in opposition, because the Clinton administration preferred to have DOMA become law as quickly as possible and not become an issue in the fall presidential campaign

Defense of Marriage Act - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Last edited:
Simply not true.

I'll tell you the same thing my Dad told me when I was a kid. "Don't want to get beat up? Learn to fight back".

It's not the government's job to act as your bodyguard.

So...if the will of the people made gun ownership in CA illegal, you'd be cool with that?

Yes, absolutely. The People should decide how they want society to operate. The voters of california have been told to shut up and obey. Is that how democracy is supposed to operate?

No matter which side you're on, I hope everyone realizes that these decisions out of the SCOTUS is only going to deepen and widen the divisions already deep and wide enough to swallow the country in one bite.

Not at all.

The 30mm that don't like it are a dwindling the minority.

The 45 and younger demographics overwhelmingly support it.

The social traditionalist have not only lost these two vital battles, they have now lost the war.

Yes, it is kind of sad how much money the LDS church threw away lobbying for the California law....

Forum List

Back