Dr. Laura's "N word" Rant

She's off the air because her employer/sponsor fears the buying power of whiney pc crybabies.

American pc crybabies UNITE!

51ZQI143f4L._SL500_AA266_PIkin2,BottomRight,-17,34_AA300_SH20_OU01_.jpg

Okay here's the clip. The only example she gave was that a neighbor was asking "what do black people say about this or that." Admittedly it is a stupid comment. But racist? Sufficiently offensive to embarrass a guest in one's home and alienate a neighbor who probably otherwise is an okay neighbor? I have friends who are of other races, friends who are gay though we are heterosexual, and every now then an awkward comment is made, but everybody pretty much lets it slide and changes the subject. Much better than adding a toxic element to an otherwise pleasant gathering.

It's tougher sometimes when you mix rabid liberals with rabid conservatives :), but a skilled host can generally handle that in a way to avoid full blown confrontations in a social setting too.

Just listening to the clip, I tended to agree with Dr. Laura that the woman was unnecessarily sensitive and did have a chip on her shoulder. She chose to take offense rather than shrug it off as the stupidity that it is. There are feminist and certain religious people and environmentalists and tall people and short people and fat people and young people etc. etc. etc. who take personal offense at the slightest thing rather than seeing comments for the unintentionally stupid comments they are.

I also thought Dr. Laura cut her off too quickly when she was initially stating her complaint.

And just wading in on this topic, I know I'm probably already hip deep in shit and will probably regret it. :)

YouTube - Dr. Laura's Racist Rant? ****** Comments!
SCHLESSINGER: Hi.
CALLER: I'm having an issue with my husband where I'm starting to grow very resentful of him. I'm black, and he's white. We've been around some of his friends and family members who start making racist comments as if I'm not there or if I'm not black. And my husband ignores those comments, and it hurts my feelings. And he acts like --
SCHLESSINGER: Well, can you give me an example of a racist comment? 'Cause sometimes people are hypersensitive. So tell me what's -- give me two good examples of racist comments.
CALLER: OK. Last night -- good example -- we had a neighbor come over, and this neighbor -- when every time he comes over, it's always a black comment. It's, "Oh, well, how do you black people like doing this?" And, "Do black people really like doing that?" And for a long time, I would ignore it. But last night, I got to the point where it --
SCHLESSINGER: I don't think that's racist.

It goes on from there...the woman was immediately pegged as overly sensitive and was told black people voted for Obama because he was black.

Then she was able to mention that the n-word was thrown around and Dr. L went off on her ridiculous rant that since people say ****** on HBO it is somehow acceptable behavior for people to say it in the presence of this woman.

Does this mean that women that might be offended by sexual remarks from husband's family and friends and hearing the word **** thrown around are also overly sensitive?

I don't understand why you all want to go there.

i bet they'd be perfectly all right if the issue was that her husband's friends called her a 'jesus freak'? (ya, sure!)

or if its only blacks, jews, gays and any other group they don't like who are 'overly sensitive'.

i wonder, too, what they'd be saying if the husband called saying the wife's friends called him 'cracker'. :eusa_whistle:

I didn't get from the clip that anybody was using the 'n' word with this woman. That was just the next example she came up with--what about '******' and Dr. Laura went with it. Ravi has already ignored the argument that I made and went on as if the family and neighbors were using racial slurs with this woman. I didn't get that they are. This one neighbor is being stupid assuming that she speaks for all black people just as it would be stupid to assume that I speak for all conservatives or all Christians or all of anything. Such has been going on for a very long time.

Years ago - 30 years? - Lionel Jefferson ("All in the Family") finally had enough of Meathead always asking him for the 'black' perspective on things and pointed out to him how stupid that was and how that continued to differentiate him as a black man as being different from their other friends. So in that context it is racist but not a malicious racism.

I challenge all of you to watch this video and tell me whether you laugh:

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jjhzhK2zryg]YouTube - ALL IN THE FAMILY - CLIP FROM "LIONEL'S ENGAGEMENT" (1974)[/ame]

She's off the air because she used her caller, a person who was asking for help to make poltiical points about societal double standards. Dr Laura used the caller as a means to an end, a political foil and in the advice giving business, that's malpractice.

Last edited:
CALLER: I'm having an issue with my husband where I'm starting to grow very resentful of him. I'm black, and he's white. We've been around some of his friends and family members who start making racist comments as if I'm not there or if I'm not black. And my husband ignores those comments, and it hurts my feelings. And he acts like --
SCHLESSINGER: Well, can you give me an example of a racist comment? 'Cause sometimes people are hypersensitive. So tell me what's -- give me two good examples of racist comments.
CALLER: OK. Last night -- good example -- we had a neighbor come over, and this neighbor -- when every time he comes over, it's always a black comment. It's, "Oh, well, how do you black people like doing this?" And, "Do black people really like doing that?" And for a long time, I would ignore it. But last night, I got to the point where it --

It goes on from there...the woman was immediately pegged as overly sensitive and was told black people voted for Obama because he was black.

Then she was able to mention that the n-word was thrown around and Dr. L went off on her ridiculous rant that since people say ****** on HBO it is somehow acceptable behavior for people to say it in the presence of this woman.

Does this mean that women that might be offended by sexual remarks from husband's family and friends and hearing the word **** thrown around are also overly sensitive?

i bet they'd be perfectly all right if the issue was that her husband's friends called her a 'jesus freak'? (ya, sure!)

or if its only blacks, jews, gays and any other group they don't like who are 'overly sensitive'.

i wonder, too, what they'd be saying if the husband called saying the wife's friends called him 'cracker'. :eusa_whistle:

I didn't get from the clip that anybody was using the 'n' word with this woman. That was just the next example she came up with--what about '******' and Dr. Laura went with it. Ravi has already ignored the argument that I made and went on as if the family and neighbors were using racial slurs with this woman. I didn't get that they are. This one neighbor is being stupid assuming that she speaks for all black people just as it would be stupid to assume that I speak for all conservatives or all Christians or all of anything. Such has been going on for a very long time.

Years ago - 30 years? - Lionel Jefferson ("All in the Family") finally had enough of Meathead always asking him for the 'black' perspective on things and pointed out to him how stupid that was and how that continued to differentiate him as a black man as being different from their other friends. So in that context it is racist but not a malicious racism.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jjhzhK2zryg"]YouTube - ALL IN THE FAMILY - CLIP FROM "LIONEL'S ENGAGEMENT" (1974)[/ame]
What part of this don't you understand:

And speaking of ignoring, you totally ignored my analogy...swap ****** for **** and racial remarks for sexual ones.

Also...wouldn't you think your husband was an idiot for not telling his family and friends to cut it out?

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jjhzhK2zryg]YouTube - ALL IN THE FAMILY - CLIP FROM "LIONEL'S ENGAGEMENT" (1974)[/ame]

In thirty years we should have changed.

Last edited:

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jjhzhK2zryg"]YouTube - ALL IN THE FAMILY - CLIP FROM "LIONEL'S ENGAGEMENT" (1974)[/ame]
What part of this don't you understand:

And speaking of ignoring, you totally ignored my analogy...swap ****** for **** and racial remarks for sexual ones.

Also...wouldn't you think your husband was an idiot for not telling his family and friends to cut it out?

Dr. Laura asked the woman for examples of racist comments and she didn't use '******' as an example. She used an example of a neighbor asking how black people look at something or what do black people think about whatever. I think you may have missed that. When Dr. Laura wouldn't take her side that this was a huge deal, she then said, "what about ******?" or something to that effect, but there was nothing to indicate that the word had ever been used in her house as a reference to her or anybody else.

Yes, I would expect my husband to take offense at anybody calling me any kind of derogatory name whether it be '****' or '******' or whatever. That was not the case in this scenario. The issue was social ineptedtude and insensitivity, but nothing hateful was intended. It was something a mature grown up would shrug off as stupid insensitivity that was not intended to be malicious.

What did you think of the video? Was it funny?

No. I didn't find the video funny. Oh, I just realized you're ignoring me. Carry on.

Last edited:
Foxfyre, I think you are completely wrong about this. That you disagree is immaterial. Best advice: never use such words.

Last edited:
No one can own a demeaning word without demeaning him or herself. It's like playing with manure: it stinks and it will stick to you. Your owning it does not take away the smell, the touch, or the disease it carries.

you know, i agree with you. but not everyone else does. i think some people see it more like family... we can say whatever we want to about our blood, but if anyone else does, we're outraged.

me? i don't think anyone should demean themselves. but like i said... everyone's different. i think the one thing we should all be able to agree upon is there is something ugly in the NEED of some people to call others the vilest things.

This is not a case of how one says potato or potatoh. The use of the word reveals the most indecent sides of an individual. This is not about nuance for those who don't grasp it, the issue is about human decency and dignity.

Thank you for understanding.

Dr. Laura asked the woman for examples of racist comments and she didn't use '******' as an example. She used an example of a neighbor asking how black people look at something or what do black people think about whatever. I think you may have missed that. When Dr. Laura wouldn't take her side that this was a huge deal, she then said, "what about ******?" or something to that effect, but there was nothing to indicate that the word had ever been used in her house as a reference to her or anybody else.

Yes, I would expect my husband to take offense at anybody calling me any kind of derogatory name whether it be '****' or '******' or whatever. That was not the case in this scenario. The issue was social ineptedtude and insensitivity, but nothing hateful was intended. It was something a mature grown up would shrug off as stupid insensitivity that was not intended to be malicious.
Thanks for clarifying the origin of the topic issue. I didn't hear the Dr. Laura broadcast so my impressions are based on what I've read and it seems to me the caller is beginning to realize her marriage to a White man was a mistake and she is not compatible with White society.

If she has cause to believe her husband's friends and relatives are being thoughtlessly offensive to her then she has a simple decision to make -- either learn to live with it or leave. Or did she expect Dr. Laura to advise her on how best to indoctrinate all of her new friends and in-laws on the way Black people want White people to think and behave in their presence?

The inevitable effect of this constant lament about the insensitivity of White people toward Blacks is to cause White people to avoid contact with Blacks whenever and wherever possible.

In other words, who needs it?

Dr Laura says '******' eleven times in one rant.

Dr Laura is off the air for saying the n word eleven times.

Di you hear her say "don't you NAACP me!"

She's off the air because of pc whiny crybabies.

so you think her rant was ok?

pc whiny crybabies? really?

unless of course she were to call people jesus freaks? (just pointing out the obvious double standard).

Obvious double standard? Lol! You fucking surface surfing ***** are a joke. I've read the transcript a couple of times and what it all comes down to is this: a white right-winger (who is a serious ****) said "******" in a neutral manner and to point out it is used as a term of affection among some african-american sub-cultures and self-righteous shitbags blew a gasket.

Her crime was not bowing down to the PC crowd by not saying the "N-word."

Thanks for clarifying the origin of the topic issue. I didn't hear the Dr. Laura broadcast so my impressions are based on what I've read and it seems to me the caller is beginning to realize her marriage to a White man was a mistake and she is not compatible with White society.

If she has cause to believe her husband's friends and relatives are being thoughtlessly offensive to her then she has a simple decision to make -- either learn to live with it or leave. Or did she expect Dr. Laura to advise her on how best to indoctrinate all of her new friends and in-laws on the way Black people want White people to think and behave in their presence?

The inevitable effect of this constant lament about the insensitivity of White people toward Blacks is to cause White people to avoid contact with Blacks whenever and wherever possible.

I think the caller realized she was unable to get sound advice from Dr Laura because Dr Laura was using her to make political points about double standards.

I'm sorry that you feel the need to avoid black people rather than learn racial tolerance.

Judge for yourself, MikeK. The link in the Op provides the audio.

Most of the time I enjoy listening to Dr Laura. She was wrong with this caller. She's been wrong when she's called gays 'biological errors' and 'pedophiles'.

Dr Laura quotes:

"If you are a gay or a lesbian, it's a biological error."

"A huge portion of the male homosexual populace is predatory on young boys."

"I call homosexual practices deviant."

"The well-funded and well-connected homosexual activist movement has become the McCarthyism of the 21st century."

"The gay culture? I’m trying to understand, what is that? I remember the 70s and 80s that the line was that this is only about sex, it’s not about anything else, right? So what’s the gay culture? Is that where we get into the promiscuity and the pedophilia?"
http://gayrights.change.org/blog/view/dr_lauras_downfall_and_the_price_of_hate_speech

Last edited:
This husband sounds like an assdouche. if he's fine with letting his friends use insults around his wife even after she's told him how it makes her feel, then they've probably got some deeper issues than any phone call to a radio personality could ever fix. i don't get why people even call in to those shows? :confused:

Curvelight: "Like I said, the PC Police are in full attendance and suited up in riot gear."

This is not a case of how one says potato or potatoh, CL. The word is about human decency, not political correctness. The use of the word reveals the most indecent sides of an individual. This is not about nuance for those who don't grasp it, the issue is about decency and dignity.

You just demonstrated a serious moral and ethical flaw in your character with your words above.

Forum List

Back