DSM-5: Will millions more Americans be diagnosed with mental illness?

now this is very interesting, espescially when you look at other current issues along side it like proposed background checks for gun purchases. We have already seen cases where individuals have been denied and even have had guns they own taken away from them because they had taken an atidepressant in the past for anxiety or depression. So now with these new classifications of mental illness can someone be denied the right to own a gun because they had PMS or tantrums as a child?

Safety first, nutters.

Like I said when you know jack shit about psychology google or news outlets make you an instant scholar.

now this is very interesting, espescially when you look at other current issues along side it like proposed background checks for gun purchases. We have already seen cases where individuals have been denied and even have had guns they own taken away from them because they had taken an atidepressant in the past for anxiety or depression. So now with these new classifications of mental illness can someone be denied the right to own a gun because they had PMS or tantrums as a child?

http://www.usmessageboard.com/newthread.php?do=newthread&f=20

by Lisa Collier Cool

Health Topics »The impending publication of the Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders, 5th Edition (DSM-5) has kindled fiery debate about whether Americans are being vastly over-diagnosed with mental illness or if Americans are psychologically sicker than they used to be.

The new "bible" of psychiatric diagnoses, which will be released later this month, includes new disorders relating to grief, childhood temper tantrums, binge eating, PMS, and painful sex (now called genito-pelvic pain/penetration disorder), among others. It has also changed how existing conditions—including oft-polarizing ADHD and autism—are diagnosed.

According to the new definitions the DSM-5 uses, some experts predict about 50 percent of U.S. citizens could be diagnosed as "mentally ill" at some point during their lifetime.

Faces of Mental Illness: Patients Share Their Stories

A Firestorm of Controversy
The DSM-5 changes were approved late last year, and since then, plenty of experts and organizations have weighed in on the pros and cons of the new guide.

no one is normal, we all need to be medicated....;)

So the continual expansion of the definition of mental illness will serve to label everyone as mentally ill to some degree right?

That's not the point of my comment.

If you're not going to use the DSM to determine who's too crazy to have a gun, what will you use?

I have no issue with some sort of codification. It's the exponential expansion of the definitions so as to be all inclusive I have a problem with.

But here's the thing.

Most gun deaths ARE suicides. So clearly, using the DSM to weed out those who are depressed from buying guns would reduce the suicide rate.

Obviously, the gun nuts are concerned about reducing that. They just want to keep the crazy person from shooting up a school. Because that makes the Gun Industry look bad.

Quietly killing yourself at home... not so much.

http://www.usmessageboard.com/newthread.php?do=newthread&f=20

by Lisa Collier Cool

Health Topics »The impending publication of the Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders, 5th Edition (DSM-5) has kindled fiery debate about whether Americans are being vastly over-diagnosed with mental illness or if Americans are psychologically sicker than they used to be.

The new "bible" of psychiatric diagnoses, which will be released later this month, includes new disorders relating to grief, childhood temper tantrums, binge eating, PMS, and painful sex (now called genito-pelvic pain/penetration disorder), among others. It has also changed how existing conditions—including oft-polarizing ADHD and autism—are diagnosed.

According to the new definitions the DSM-5 uses, some experts predict about 50 percent of U.S. citizens could be diagnosed as "mentally ill" at some point during their lifetime.

Faces of Mental Illness: Patients Share Their Stories

A Firestorm of Controversy
The DSM-5 changes were approved late last year, and since then, plenty of experts and organizations have weighed in on the pros and cons of the new guide.

no one is normal, we all need to be medicated....;)

I am somewhat inclined to agree.

ABnormal appears to me to be the norm.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8FxaJKm9sdI]The Ramones - I Wanna Be Sedated - YouTube[/ame]

That's not the point of my comment.

If you're not going to use the DSM to determine who's too crazy to have a gun, what will you use?

I have no issue with some sort of codification. It's the exponential expansion of the definitions so as to be all inclusive I have a problem with.

But here's the thing.

Most gun deaths ARE suicides. So clearly, using the DSM to weed out those who are depressed from buying guns would reduce the suicide rate.

Obviously, the gun nuts are concerned about reducing that. They just want to keep the crazy person from shooting up a school. Because that makes the Gun Industry look bad.

Quietly killing yourself at home... not so much.

People who want to kill themselves will kill themselves with or without a gun.

Expanding the definition of depression won't stop suicide.

Forum List

Back