DUH!!..69% Say Those Struggling With Mortgage Should Sell, Buy Cheaper Home

Actually, there ARE circumstances in CA where the borrower can be on the hook for the difference between amount mortgaged and what the house sold for, depending on what type of contract they have with the lender.

California Foreclosure Law

Contracts vary of course. But let's say I'm 100% wrong and all states leave the borrower on the hook. That's what bankruptcy is for and more importantly, it's not my responsibility to bail out their bad investment decisions.

I will ask again.

Let's assume Bank of America has 10,000 customers declare bankruptcy at an average loss of $50K each. That is a loss of $500M. Now let's be generous and assume they sell every single home at 80% of loan value or $400M . That is STILL a loss of $100M and that's just for Bank of America.

Do you REALLY think that Bank of America is just going to write that off as a loss and move on? Hell no, for one thing it's doubtful that they could absorb that loss. They are of course going to go to daddy government and get a bailout. So, the banks get bailed out and the individual gets to rent something they "can afford?" And please don't come back with " bailouts won't happen again" because that just isn't realistic.

That sure sounds like the American way to me. Not

Bank of America posted a profit in the 4th quarter of $2B. In that context yeah they can easily write off 100M.
If they can't fuck them. Let them go under. This is what bankruptcy law is all about. Lehman went under and it wasnt the end of the world.

Contracts vary of course. But let's say I'm 100% wrong and all states leave the borrower on the hook. That's what bankruptcy is for and more importantly, it's not my responsibility to bail out their bad investment decisions.

I will ask again.

Let's assume Bank of America has 10,000 customers declare bankruptcy at an average loss of $50K each. That is a loss of $500M. Now let's be generous and assume they sell every single home at 80% of loan value or $400M . That is STILL a loss of $100M and that's just for Bank of America.

Do you REALLY think that Bank of America is just going to write that off as a loss and move on? Hell no, for one thing it's doubtful that they could absorb that loss. They are of course going to go to daddy government and get a bailout. So, the banks get bailed out and the individual gets to rent something they "can afford?" And please don't come back with " bailouts won't happen again" because that just isn't realistic.

Bank of America posted a profit in the 4th quarter of $2B. In that context yeah they can easily write off 100M.
If they can't fuck them. Let them go under. This is what bankruptcy law is all about. Lehman went under and it wasnt the end of the world.

LOL! Had we allowed all of the big investment banks to fail, the entire banking system would have fallen flat on its face. FDIC would go bankrupt, meaning ordinary folks like you and me would just lose our checking and savings accounts.

Not to mention nearly all of FDIC's assets are treasury securities, so even when FDIC has funds available to pay claims, its still coming out of the taxpayer's ass.

I will ask again.

LOL! Had we allowed all of the big investment banks to fail, the entire banking system would have fallen flat on its face. FDIC would go bankrupt, meaning ordinary folks like you and me would just lose our checking and savings accounts.

Not to mention nearly all of FDIC's assets are treasury securities, so even when FDIC has funds available to pay claims, its still coming out of the taxpayer's ass.

All the banks were not going to fail. Try again.

I will ask again.

okay and my numbers were imaginary to. No telling what the real figures would be.

But in either case, you are behaving like a stubborn child. Anyone with any common sense could see that having BofA, or whomever, making SOME money off of mortgages would be better than seeing thousands homeless and BoA going under.

Oh, and here's another thing for some of yall to consider. If say 100K new renters flood the market, guess what's going to happen to rent. Oh that's right, the price will go up until no one can afford to rent.

Some of you are real geniuses.

Bad investment on your part. Should have bought less of a home and/or but more on a down payment...or rented. Next time, you'll know better. Either way, it's not my or another taxpayer's problem.

Tell us about the home you own that didn't lose any value in the past few years.

I got out of the real estate market in 2007. I now rent. I used profit I had made to buy a home for my parents to live for as long as they like. I chose a MUCH smaller (less valuable) home than I could have afforded and paid cash. Has it lost value? Probably but I don't care.

Should my conservative decisions and willingness to be flexible with regard to my personal investments be penalized by forcing me to bail out those that made bad decisions? I believe the answer is obvious.

So everyone who is underwater made a bad decision? That's the generalization that we're going with?

Do you people think in any terms except for massively over-generalizations? What a simplistic world you think you live in.

I will ask again.

If the government can't help the people, then why bother having a government? Now , I'm not for paying off everyone's mortgages, nope. BUT there has to be a way the government can level off payments or allow people to make partial payments or SOMETHING to make sure that people who really are trying don't lose a home they've bought in good faith and are making an effort to keep it.

Deadbeats and other assorted riff raff who just want a handout? I don't give a shit about them.

There are valid reasons why bank's don't adjust mortgages or do short sales, yes. But there are also invalid reasons why they are being so recalcitrant.

One thing they could do that would not lose them any money is to erase any principal added by negative amortization. This would adjust a substantial number of homeowners' principal down by 10 to 25 percent, thus substantially reducing defaults.

80 percent of all borrowers who took out a Pick-A-Payment loan made the minimum payments. These payments were negative amortization payments. So after three years, they owed more than they did when they started. Their principal had actually grown.

Pick-A-Payment was a massive market. There are millions of people that were in such loans. And these were some of the most toxic.

Simply re-adjusting these loans back to the original principal would mitigate a lot of problems.

I will ask again.

okay and my numbers were imaginary to. No telling what the real figures would be.

But in either case, you are behaving like a stubborn child. Anyone with any common sense could see that having BofA, or whomever, making SOME money off of mortgages would be better than seeing thousands homeless and BoA going under.

Oh, and here's another thing for some of yall to consider. If say 100K new renters flood the market, guess what's going to happen to rent. Oh that's right, the price will go up until no one can afford to rent.

Some of you are real geniuses.

So now you want to rescue your argument by saying that every homeowner would default and every bank would go under. That isn't very credible.
If 100k new renters flood the market what do you think will happen to the properties they've left?

People really don't understand how this all works, do they?

You know you need to bring cash to closing to sell for a loss. How do you propose people bring cash to closing when many are barely getting by? Think about it. Try not to respond with something that sounds like a solution out of some Utopian society you've created in your head.

Good point...so you loose loose for your investment in a home. Sorry, that that's how it works. They gambled on their future...and lost. Nothing utopian about it.

You gamble on the market staying at its level or going up
You gamble on staying healthy long enough to pay back your loan
You gamble on your income being steady.
You gamble when you sign on the dotted line that everything will work out and you, and you come out a winner.

Buying a home was a not a serious gamble if one bought in a good area until the bottom fell out. You didn't have something like this happen to you so you seem rather flippant about your fellow Americans plight.
As long as number one is fine no one else's situation seems to matter. Okay.

Syrenn is well-versed in commenting on things she has no first hand knowledge off. As if that doesn't come off blatantly in her posts and lack of understand and real world solutions to real world problems.

I am shopping for a home where I will retire. I am seeing homes that were built in the 80's going for less than the cost of building them at that time. Many good people are taking a real bath on a situation they did not create. Really, really sad.

What you're stating certainly has happened to a number of people, but an equal number bought out of greed. Thoughts of flipping or watching their homes appreciate at double digit rates blinded them to the downside.

Link?

Of course not.

Name a single major U.S. investment bank that did not receive a "bailout" and that did not fail.

Thanks.

"All the banks were not going to fail. " Famous last words. Do you know how banking works? The money in your checking account mostly isn't really there. Its merely a promise to repay you money on demand, and most of it has been loaned out. If the folks the money is loaned to can't pay it back - and the FDIC runs out of funds - then you just lose your money, plain and simple.

I will ask again.

No telling? Really?

If you bought a house and now its worth less than what you paid for it.... TOUGH SHIT.

You can continue to pay the note and wait for the prices to recover (or pay off the loan) , arrange a short sale, or walk away and face foreclosure. Whatever happens, you need to buy a mirror and take a long gander at the person looking back at you....that is the person to blame.

Government is not your mommy.

Actually, there ARE circumstances in CA where the borrower can be on the hook for the difference between amount mortgaged and what the house sold for, depending on what type of contract they have with the lender.

California Foreclosure Law

I will ask again.

If the government can't help the people, then why bother having a government? Now , I'm not for paying off everyone's mortgages, nope. BUT there has to be a way the government can level off payments or allow people to make partial payments or SOMETHING to make sure that people who really are trying don't lose a home they've bought in good faith and are making an effort to keep it.

Deadbeats and other assorted riff raff who just want a handout? I don't give a shit about them.

Yes but according to the people in this thread who don't understand how the real world works, ALL people who are underwater on their mortgage are deadbeats. It's easier that way.

If you bought a house and now its worth less than what you paid for it.... TOUGH SHIT.

You can continue to pay the note and wait for the prices to recover (or pay off the loan) , arrange a short sale, or walk away and face foreclosure. Whatever happens, you need to buy a mirror and take a long gander at the person looking back at you....that is the person to blame.

The banking industry is mostly to blame for the boom and consequent drop in home values.

For the most part, I agree with this post.

But I felt it necessary to point out the folly behind the thinking of the 69% in the Rasmussen poll who feel underwater homeowners should toss their keys and default. They are suggesting something that would be cutting their own throats.

Their retirement funds would suffer catastrophic losses if underwater homeowners all defaulted. Just like they did in 2008.

Name a single major U.S. investment bank that did not receive a "bailout" and that did not fail.

Thanks.

"All the banks were not going to fail. " Famous last words. Do you know how banking works? The money in your checking account mostly isn't really there. Its merely a promise to repay you money on demand, and most of it has been loaned out. If the folks the money is loaned to can't pay it back - and the FDIC runs out of funds - then you just lose your money, plain and simple.

None of the banks failed except Goldman. So what?

Nt all bank loans are real estate loans. Not all real estate loans are residential loans. Not all residential loans went bad.
Other than not knowing what the hell you're talking about, is there a point you're trying to make here?

Forum List

Back