Dump Your Home Owners Insurance ---They Won't Pay

NoTeaPartyPleez

Gold Member
Dec 2, 2012
Here's my neighbor's house the day after Hurricane Sandy hit....six months ago.

11783595-standard.jpg

As of today April 29, 2013 the tree has been removed but the house has remained untouched. It has essentially been a bowl all winter for rain and snow. Much has been taken out and set on the curb to be taken away by the garbage trucks because of mold and water destruction.

The sides of the house and roof have started to collapse inside the walls. I suspect there are all manner of furry four-legged creatures who have taken up residence inside. We know of several feral cats who are living in there now.

Encompass Insurance has let this happen. Their assessment was that she just needed a new roof over the second floor. That's it. My neighbor paid her homeowner's insurance for 22 years only to get this. Save your money, cancel your property insurance. It is a huge rip off, especially if your home is damaged from a large, widespread natural disaster. FEMA has done shit around New Jersey. This is a huge failure on the part of Obama's admin. Chris Christie is still fighting the good fight.

Last edited:
Unfortunately, what your neighbor experienced is not unique and not related to Obama or Christie. It happens after every disaster, not matter where, when or who is in office. Too many insurance companies want to take your money, but they don't want to pay out a claim if they can help it.

Case in point: The son of a friend of mine had a home in central Florida which was damaged by 4 successive hurricanes in one year (2004, I think). The insurance companies would not pay because they claimed they could not tell what damage was done by which hurricane. Eventually, the state stepped in and forced them to settle claims with thousands of people, but it took time for the state to feel the compulsion to act.

Here's another example from Hurricane Sandy in Red Bank, NJ. I do damage assessment after disasters for the Southern Baptist Disaster Relief effort and I went to this man's house to see if we could help him. He had a very large, very nice house on the back side of the Shrewsbury River. The storm surge had filled the entire lower floor of his house, including the basement, and reached almost to the second floor. He had trees down all over his property, including one very large one which was laid up against the house. A door from some bar on the beach half a mile away rested in his garage and somebody's boat dock was in the front yard.

His insurance refused to pay any of the damage. Know why? Because the storm had technically downgraded to an extra-tropical storm just before coming ashore, the company did not consider it a storm surge but, rather, called it flood damage for which they were not liable. He had the government sponsored flood insurance, but they would not pay because they called it storm surge, for which they were not liable. The property owner was left looking at perhaps $100,000 worth of damage which he would have to pay out of his own pocket. We did what we could for him for free (removed the trees and, I think, gutted out the lower floor) but that was all. I do not know what has happened since then but, like your neighbor, I expect the answer is nothing.

I could go on and on with similar stories from the dozens of hurricanes, fires, floods, tornadoes and earthquakes I've worked during the 8 years I've done this, from one end of the country to another. The point is that it is, indeed, a serious problem, but it is not an indication of a failure by any particular party or politician. Rather, it is a national problem which transcends partisan politics and one which somebody needs to find an answer for.

I wish I knew the answer.

Question: What town is that house in and who took out the tree?

Clearly the only solution for a homeowner is this...

When you know a hurricane is coming QUICK, accidently burn your house down.

At least THEN your insurance will pay off for the damages.

Clearly the only solution for a homeowner is this...

When you know a hurricane is coming QUICK, accidently burn your house down.

At least THEN your insurance will pay off for the damages.

how many years do you get for arson? dummie?

Unfortunately, what your neighbor experienced is not unique and not related to Obama or Christie. It happens after every disaster, not matter where, when or who is in office. Too many insurance companies want to take your money, but they don't want to pay out a claim if they can help it.

Case in point: The son of a friend of mine had a home in central Florida which was damaged by 4 successive hurricanes in one year (2004, I think). The insurance companies would not pay because they claimed they could not tell what damage was done by which hurricane. Eventually, the state stepped in and forced them to settle claims with thousands of people, but it took time for the state to feel the compulsion to act.

Here's another example from Hurricane Sandy in Red Bank, NJ. I do damage assessment after disasters for the Southern Baptist Disaster Relief effort and I went to this man's house to see if we could help him. He had a very large, very nice house on the back side of the Shrewsbury River. The storm surge had filled the entire lower floor of his house, including the basement, and reached almost to the second floor. He had trees down all over his property, including one very large one which was laid up against the house. A door from some bar on the beach half a mile away rested in his garage and somebody's boat dock was in the front yard.

His insurance refused to pay any of the damage. Know why? Because the storm had technically downgraded to an extra-tropical storm just before coming ashore, the company did not consider it a storm surge but, rather, called it flood damage for which they were not liable. He had the government sponsored flood insurance, but they would not pay because they called it storm surge, for which they were not liable. The property owner was left looking at perhaps $100,000 worth of damage which he would have to pay out of his own pocket. We did what we could for him for free (removed the trees and, I think, gutted out the lower floor) but that was all. I do not know what has happened since then but, like your neighbor, I expect the answer is nothing.

I could go on and on with similar stories from the dozens of hurricanes, fires, floods, tornadoes and earthquakes I've worked during the 8 years I've done this, from one end of the country to another. The point is that it is, indeed, a serious problem, but it is not an indication of a failure by any particular party or politician. Rather, it is a national problem which transcends partisan politics and one which somebody needs to find an answer for.

It is a political problem when FEMA is supposed to be helping and both Bush (Katrina) and Obama (Sandy) have not taken up the task of making the program work.
If you are in this then you know that many parts of the Jersey shore are still closed off to traffic.

Insofar as the private, large insurance companies go, they are laying off people in the metro NY area right and left and sending jobs to Asia. They will survive Sandy. They will. Many victims of Sandy here in New Jersey won't.

The house in the photo is just outside Princeton Borough and the insurance company Encompass took the trees out. Oddly enough, they pay to have the lawn mowed once a week now that the weather has warmed up. But fix the house? Hell no.

Last edited:

11783595-standard.jpg

As of today April 29, 2013 the tree has been removed but the house has remained untouched. It has essentially been a bowl all winter for rain and snow. Much has been taken out and set on the curb to be taken away by the garbage trucks because of mold and water destruction.

The sides of the house and roof have started to collapse inside the walls. I suspect there are all manner of furry four-legged creatures who have taken up residence inside. We know of several feral cats who are living in there now.

Encompass Insurance has let this happen. Their assessment was that she just needed a new roof over the second floor. That's it. My neighbor paid her homeowner's insurance for 22 years only to get this. Save your money, cancel your property insurance. It is a huge rip off, especially if your home is damaged from a large, widespread natural disaster. FEMA has done shit around New Jersey. This is a huge failure on the part of Obama's admin. Chris Christie is still fighting the good fight.

Again, for those who skipped 3rd grade civics:

No President allocates money. That is the job of the House Of Representatives.

The House allocated these funds, but has not released these funds.

Take it up with John Boner.

And that's not George Bush's fault, either.

No, it's not. President's do not have the power to order private insurance companies around.

11783595-standard.jpg

The left sure blamed bush for Katrina

11783595-standard.jpg

That wasn't a money problem, now was it?

No, it was an incompetence problem and a lack of urgency on Bush's part.

You sure are a dope.

It is a political problem when FEMA is supposed to be helping and both Bush (Katrina) and Obama (Sandy) have not taken up the task of making the program work.
If you are in this then you know that many parts of the Jersey shore are still closed off to traffic.

Insofar as the private, large insurance companies go, they are laying off people in the metro NY area right and left and sending jobs to Asia. They will survive Sandy. They will. Many victims of Sandy here in New Jersey won't.

The house in the photo is just outside Princeton Borough and the insurance company Encompass took the trees out. Oddly enough, they pay to have the lawn mowed once a week now that the weather has warmed up. But fix the house? Hell no.

Boy, that's a long way from the coast. I didn't realize that kind of tree damage occurred that far inland but, I guess all it takes is one weak tree and a little wind.

You sure are a dope.

A lack of urgency I'll buy. But, incompetence? I'm not so sure of that, either on a state or federal level. I think it really amounted to more of a state of shock than anything else. Nobody involved in it had seen anything like that in decades and the extent of the damage caught everybody unprepared.

I'd like to say it will never happen again, but hurricane Sandy caught an awful lot of people by surprise too, in spite of the repeated warnings. Even old experienced hands like me were shocked by the breadth and scope of the damage from a simple category 1 storm.

It's easy to Monday-morning quarterback a disaster response, but when you're there in the middle of it, you find that it's not as easy as people think to first determine just what has been done and where, then to gather and allocate resources where they're needed the most. It's an exercise fraught with the dangers of misinformation, lack of information, competing needs and misplace resources. Mistakes are common and the response suffers for it.

I guess maybe that's why they're called "disasters."

Boy, that's a long way from the coast. I didn't realize that kind of tree damage occurred that far inland but, I guess all it takes is one weak tree and a little wind.
No, actually it is the drenching rains that first soften up the ground, and then a strong wind comes along and topples the tree.

You sure are a dope.

A lack of urgency I'll buy. But, incompetence? I'm not so sure of that, either on a state or federal level. I think it really amounted to more of a state of shock than anything else. Nobody involved in it had seen anything like that in decades and the extent of the damage caught everybody unprepared.

I'd like to say it will never happen again, but hurricane Sandy caught an awful lot of people by surprise too, in spite of the repeated warnings. Even old experienced hands like me were shocked by the breadth and scope of the damage from a simple category 1 storm.

It's easy to Monday-morning quarterback a disaster response, but when you're there in the middle of it, you find that it's not as easy as people think to first determine just what has been done and where, then to gather and allocate resources where they're needed the most. It's an exercise fraught with the dangers of misinformation, lack of information, competing needs and misplace resources. Mistakes are common and the response suffers for it.

I guess maybe that's why they're called "disasters."

You've got to be kidding me. Michael "Heck of a job" Brown? The horse show judge?

He was incompetent in the field of emergency management.

Any 3rd grade civics student knows that a president needs Congress to go to war, too. It's called the bully pulpit, in case you forgot. Bush knew how to use it, Obama won't. Now bugger off.

We had lots of trees down. I lost 5 trees on my property alone. Most of the forestation on the west side of New Jersey are really, really tall trees.

We couldn't even leave our immediate neighborhood for several days because 2 big trees were leaning against the power lines at the entrance to our cul-de-sac and only PSEG could touch them. Once we got out of here we could only go a mile or two in any direction because of trees down across major streets and/or power lines down. No power at all for 7 days.

About 2 weeks later I trained into Manhattan and it looked like a freaking lumberyard alongside the tracks until we got closer to New Brunswick. Trees just stacked up along side the rails.

Everyone around here is talking about how FEMA hasn't done a goddamn thing.

11783595-standard.jpg

Maybe it was that "You're doing a heck of a job, Brownie" to the motherfucker who did nothing while the Superdome teemed with people who had no food or water for 4 days? Ya' think? As Sarah says, "You betcha'". Bush was too chicken shit to do anything except fly over on Airforce One. Obama at least got off the plane and toured with Christie.

No, actually it is the drenching rains that first soften up the ground, and then a strong wind comes along and topples the tree.

Hey, here's an idea: have any trees that might, you know, FALL AND CRUSH THE HOUSE removed or trimmed. Personal responsibility, have you heard of it?!?!

Last edited:
Your friend had an inadequate policy. And FEMA is not responsible for rebuilding people's houses.

Forum List

Back