Edward Snowden: the whistleblower behind the NSA surveillance revelations

Kevin_Kennedy

Defend Liberty
Aug 27, 2008
The individual responsible for one of the most significant leaks in US political history is Edward Snowden, a 29-year-old former technical assistant for the CIA and current employee of the defence contractor Booz Allen Hamilton. Snowden has been working at the National Security Agency for the last four years as an employee of various outside contractors, including Booz Allen and Dell.

The Guardian, after several days of interviews, is revealing his identity at his request. From the moment he decided to disclose numerous top-secret documents to the public, he was determined not to opt for the protection of anonymity. "I have no intention of hiding who I am because I know I have done nothing wrong," he said.

Snowden will go down in history as one of America's most consequential whistleblowers, alongside Daniel Ellsberg and Bradley Manning. He is responsible for handing over material from one of the world's most secretive organisations – the NSA.

Edward Snowden: the whistleblower behind the NSA surveillance revelations | World news | guardian.co.uk

It's probable that the government is going to go after this hero, harshly, when, in fact, they should be the ones arrested.

The individual responsible for one of the most significant leaks in US political history is Edward Snowden, a 29-year-old former technical assistant for the CIA and current employee of the defence contractor .

Edward Snowden: the whistleblower behind the NSA surveillance revelations | World news | guardian.co.uk

It's probable that the government is going to go after this hero, harshly, when, in fact, they should be the ones arrested.

What is these people major malfunction?

We send them to government schools for 12 years and after that , they are supposed to be properly INDOCTRINATED as to the meaning of (a) government supremacy (b) PATRIOTISM and NATIONAL SECURITY.

Do we have to lobotomize these folks so they will behave?

As always Heil Hitler.

He watched the transition of info being used against terrorists to being used against political enemies of Obama.

Someone please refresh my memory. What's the big leak---people have known about this since Bush. Aren't we just revisiting an old issue ?

He watched the transition of info being used against terrorists to being used against political enemies of Obama.

OK, recall that the Obama Campaign had computer systems and programs to provide state of the art information about voters and voting patterns. It was mind boggling in its sophistication.
What are the odds that information gleaned at NSA was used in constructing that system? Not saying it happened. But what are the odds? And if true, should Obama be impeached, removed, tried and jailed?

sad thing is, the cat is out of the bag, never to be returned, even if ordered. And we will never no for sure who has had access to it.

OK, recall that the Obama Campaign had computer systems and programs to provide state of the art information about voters and voting patterns. It was mind boggling in its sophistication.
What are the odds that information gleaned at NSA was used in constructing that system? Not saying it happened. But what are the odds? And if true, should Obama be impeached, removed, tried and jailed?

No sir.

Close to 50% of Americans depend of federal government handouts. We pay no mind to those details.

By golly, we are going to re-elect him to a 3rd term. Fuck the 22nd Amendment.

Snowden will go down in history as one of America's most consequential whistleblowers, alongside Daniel Ellsberg and Bradley Manning. He is responsible for handing over material from one of the world's most secretive organisations – the NSA.

“…alongside Daniel Ellsberg and Bradley Manning.”

Interesting, both of whom were aggressively pilloried and demonized by the right. To be consistent, therefore, Snowden should be subject to the same treatment by conservatives, where they seek his imprisonment or death.

Or will Snowden be presented as a ‘hero’ by conservative hypocrites, more interested in using him as a political weapon against the current administration than concern over justice or privacy rights.

Knowing conservatives as we do, it will clearly be the latter.

"mind boggling in its sophistication"....

:lol:

You guys crack me up.

Yeah? Tell me more about it.

Project Narwhal: How a top-secret Obama campaign program could change the 2012 race. - Slate Magazine

This year, however, as part of a project code-named Narwhal, Obama’s team is working to link once completely separate repositories of information so that every fact gathered about a voter is available to every arm of the campaign. Such information-sharing would allow the person who crafts a provocative email about contraception to send it only to women with whom canvassers have personally discussed reproductive views or whom data-mining targeters have pinpointed as likely to be friendly to Obama’s views on the issue.

“…alongside Daniel Ellsberg and Bradley Manning.”

Interesting, both of whom were aggressively pilloried and demonized by the right. To be consistent, therefore, Snowden should be subject to the same treatment by conservatives, where they seek his imprisonment or death.

Or will Snowden be presented as a ‘hero’ by conservative hypocrites, more interested in using him as a political weapon against the current administration than concern over justice or privacy rights.

Knowing conservatives as we do, it will clearly be the latter.

I haven't seen any conservatives calling Snowden a hero. I called him a hero, but am obviously not a conservative. So who exactly is being a hypocrite?

Someone please refresh my memory. What's the big leak---people have known about this since Bush. Aren't we just revisiting an old issue ?

No. The size and scope are revelatory here.

He copied and released documents ( I assume to the guardian ). Are they available for everyone to see. I'd like to know exactly the nature of the leak.

The documents are up in the various Guardian articles.

"mind boggling in its sophistication"....

:lol:

You guys crack me up.

Yeah? Tell me more about it.

Project Narwhal: How a top-secret Obama campaign program could change the 2012 race. - Slate Magazine

This year, however, as part of a project code-named Narwhal, Obama’s team is working to link once completely separate repositories of information so that every fact gathered about a voter is available to every arm of the campaign. Such information-sharing would allow the person who crafts a provocative email about contraception to send it only to women with whom canvassers have personally discussed reproductive views or whom data-mining targeters have pinpointed as likely to be friendly to Obama’s views on the issue.

I've used the program. There's nothing "mind boggling" about it. It's just a voter file linked to a volunteer/contact database.

Programs like it have existed for years. VoteBuilder has been around since 2007, and it can do everything described in your post.

he stole classified info and leaked it to the press.

That's theft, at the least.

He should have informed other authorities, in secret, if nothing was done, then contact lawyers.

he's in deep shit and has given the nsa time to cover themselves from what may have been uncovered.

He should have informed other authorities, in secret, if nothing was done, then contact lawyers.

he's in deep shit and has given the nsa time to cover themselves from what may have been uncovered.

The only theft here is that the government is stealing our data.

Since when is it any big surprise the government spies on the denizens of this country?
I'm not thrilled with the concept but understand it. I am disgusted if such spying was used for political power and political gain instead of using that info and ability to protect said denizens of the USA.

The only theft here is that the government is stealing our data.

wrong, and you know it.

the gov stole and he stole. only thing he can hope for now is to take people down with him

Forum List

Back