Edward Snowden: the whistleblower behind the NSA surveillance revelations

They'll probably destroy his pension, benefits (healthcare) and anything else the government can touch. If they actually bring him to trial, he needs to make sure its a Jury Trial, the government will not be fair otherwise.

How far will the Chinese go to protect Snowden? They have a knowledgeable defector who can lay waste to the government. The US extradites and the Chinese say no.

Obama will not make this man his Helen of Troy.

When Xi was patting obama on the head making nice Xi KNEW that he had the goods.

How far will the Chinese go to protect Snowden? They have a knowledgeable defector who can lay waste to the government. The US extradites and the Chinese say no.

Obama will not make this man his Helen of Troy.

When Xi was patting obama on the head making nice Xi KNEW that he had the goods.

Snowden doesn't NEED to spill anything to the Chinese to be valuable to them.. He's not a defector -- he's a genuine political refugee fleeing persecution.. It's a CLEAR case of giving him asylum because his country is persecuting him..

Actually --- it's quite brilliant. They'll never extradite him.. Not even to trade for any of their "political refugees".. And they will give him cameras, and internet sites and all access to the media so that he can continually discuss Civil Rights and Civil DisObedience in the United State of America.

Anytime we pound them on Civil Rights issues, he'll be their response. "You Yankee Dogs want to kill this man for telling your people you were spying on them extalegally. Shame be on you for lecturing us"..

Since when is it any big surprise the government spies on the denizens of this country?
I'm not thrilled with the concept but understand it. I am disgusted if such spying was used for political power and political gain instead of using that info and ability to protect said denizens of the USA.

Logic dictates that if the Government wanted the right to spy on us, they (the founders) wouldn't have written the 4th Amendment. That's why it's such a surprise.

As with all rights, the rights enshrined in the Fourth Amendment are not absolute. Government may place reasonable restrictions on privacy rights.

For example:

Can one’s phone or internet records be considered ‘property,’ does government accessing these records constitute a ‘seizure,’ and if so does the property owner have a reasonable expectation of privacy with regard to that ‘property’?

Indeed, is there an expectation of privacy considered reasonable by society as a whole with regard to one’s phone records or internet communications?

And does one retain a possessory interest in the ‘property’ that is his phone records, or has that ‘property’ been abandoned once part of public media (digital wireless or internet cable) where he no longer has a reasonable expectation of privacy with regard to the search?

The Framers also expected the government to address issues of public safety and National security, the Fourth Amendment was designed to provide a framework in which a balance could be realized between National security and personal liberty.

Does anyone doubt that Romney had a similar program specifically designed for his election campaign - although probably not as sophisticated?

Almost everyone on the planet doubts that.

In fact, before you asked this question, I would have said everyone did.

Romney's campaign used GOP Vault, or something like that.

I don't really know much about it because voter databases are generally jealously partisan, Republican campaigns and non-profits use entirely different software which I have no experience with.

We are not talking about the data, we are talking about the program to analyze the data. Romney spent the entire campaign letting Obama control the talking points and the social media, his campaign obviously didn't have the tech savvy Obama's did.

Since when is it any big surprise the government spies on the denizens of this country?
I'm not thrilled with the concept but understand it. I am disgusted if such spying was used for political power and political gain instead of using that info and ability to protect said denizens of the USA.

Logic dictates that if the Government wanted the right to spy on us, they (the founders) wouldn't have written the 4th Amendment. That's why it's such a surprise.

As with all rights, the rights enshrined in the Fourth Amendment are not absolute. Government may place reasonable restrictions on privacy rights.

For example:

Can one’s phone or internet records be considered ‘property,’ does government accessing these records constitute a ‘seizure,’ and if so does the property owner have a reasonable expectation of privacy with regard to that ‘property’?

Indeed, is there an expectation of privacy considered reasonable by society as a whole with regard to one’s phone records or internet communications?

And does one retain a possessory interest in the ‘property’ that is his phone records, or has that ‘property’ been abandoned once part of public media (digital wireless or internet cable) where he no longer has a reasonable expectation of privacy with regard to the search?

The Framers also expected the government to address issues of public safety and National security, the Fourth Amendment was designed to provide a framework in which a balance could be realized between National security and personal liberty.

Sorta sad do see you going so shamelessly partisan on this one, Clayton.

Will the government seek the death penalty (or something lesser) for Snowden's treason?

It is not treason to leak classified documents, if it was Manning would be charged with it. Manning is charged with aiding the enemy under the UCMJ, but that is going to be hard to prove under military law.

Would you please stop using the argument that rights are not absolute to justify the government when it violates them, it makes me want to reach through the computer and bitch slap your ugly face.

For example:

Yes.

Yes.

When the fuck did I abandon my phone records?

They did not expect them to do so at the expense of our freedoms.

By the way, you didn't provide any examples, you just asked the typical questions of ignorant assholes who think the government should be able to ballance my rights with their ability to do whatever they currently think their job is.

Almost everyone on the planet doubts that.

In fact, before you asked this question, I would have said everyone did.

I don't really know much about it because voter databases are generally jealously partisan, Republican campaigns and non-profits use entirely different software which I have no experience with.

We are not talking about the data, we are talking about the program to analyze the data. Romney spent the entire campaign letting Obama control the talking points and the social media, his campaign obviously didn't have the tech savvy Obama's did.

Of course.

But as I've been trying to explain, there's nothing remarkable about the "technology" of the Obama campaign's program. Romney's campaign had a bunch of separate databases, each doing a different part - a voter file, a volunteer database, and a fundraising database. Obama had one single program that combined everything.

Obama's dominance of social media wasn't due to some magical computer program, it was done by the online organizers who worked for the campaign. Same with "talking points".

The software is a tool that made their jobs easier, not anything more than that.

For example:

1. Can one’s phone or internet records be considered ‘property,’ does government accessing these records constitute a ‘seizure,’ and if so does the property owner have a reasonable expectation of privacy with regard to that ‘property’?

2. Indeed, is there an expectation of privacy considered reasonable by society as a whole with regard to one’s phone records or internet communications?

3. And does one retain a possessory interest in the ‘property’ that is his phone records, or has that ‘property’ been abandoned once part of public media (digital wireless or internet cable) where he no longer has a reasonable expectation of privacy with regard to the search?

4.The Framers also expected the government to address issues of public safety and National security, the Fourth Amendment was designed to provide a framework in which a balance could be realized between National security and personal liberty.

1. What I do with the internet I pay for, should be none of the government's business. What I say or do on my phone (since it is also connected to the internet) should also be none of their business. I myself have committed no crime against my government. In Smith vs. Maryland (1979), there was no expectation of privacy, since they were just pen registers, nothing more. In this case, they have (in addition to my number), call length, and call location, I entrusted those records to my cell phone provider in good faith that they would not disclose them to anyone.

2. An expectation of privacy should remain unless the progenitor of these records has done something wrong in the eyes of their government. The expectation of privacy should not be diminished arbitrarily and/or stereotypically. You also have the 14th Amendment to consider as well.

3. What a man communicates with his own mind and voice should be attributed to him and not his government, unless as I said in my second statement, he has done something that warrants search or seizure. The 5th Amendment comes into play here, as well as the 4th and 14th.

4. They also expected the citizens not to live in the shadow of a government which has abused its powers. You have more than one amendment coming into play here, the 1st (Right to free expression without reprisal and free assembly) 4th, (illegal search and seizure) 5th (Right to Life, Liberty, and property) and 14th (Right to due process). Not to mention tort law comes into play as well: Intrusion upon seclusion or solitude.

The illegal search comes when you secretly monitor someone's activities without a legitimate reason or individual warrant. As exemplified in Kyllo v. United States, 533 U.S. 27 (2001) when you simply surviel the person's home or activities, you have conducted a search. Therefore you need a warrant, and have violated this person's privacy. When you track my location via my cell phone transmissions and the tower, you have intruded on my seclusion and solitude.

In US vs Warshak (2010) the Sixth Circuit Appeals Court held that there is a reasonable expectation of privacy in the content of e-mails stored on third party servers and that the content of these emails is subject to Fourth Amendment protection. This little tidbit calls the very actions of the NSA into question.

The law supports the people, not the government, Clayton. We have a reasonable expectation not to be spied on or snooped around on by our government.

Last edited:

Of course.

But as I've been trying to explain, there's nothing remarkable about the "technology" of the Obama campaign's program. Romney's campaign had a bunch of separate databases, each doing a different part - a voter file, a volunteer database, and a fundraising database. Obama had one single program that combined everything.

Obama's dominance of social media wasn't due to some magical computer program, it was done by the online organizers who worked for the campaign. Same with "talking points".

The software is a tool that made their jobs easier, not anything more than that.

I never claimed the program was magical. I will point out that if you think even the most dedicated team of volunteers could keep up with everything you are the one that believes in magic, not me. If it were that easy the NSA wouldn't need PRISM and Boundless Informant, they would just put enough people on the job to track all the posts.

That, by the way, is what made Obama's program revolutionary. It analyzed the normal campaign databases which you are so blase about, and also threw in demographic information based on sales records, information which political campaigns had never used before. It also used algorithms developed by some of the people that developed Google's search algorithms and Facebook's advertising to mine every database they could get their greedy little paws on.

What should terrify you is that they handed that data over to the what Obama called an unprecedented means to influence lobbyists and would destroy the integrity of the government and our entire election system.

"They" hate "us" for the actions of the U.S. government. You can't blame Snowden for that. Regardless, we have to be able to hold our government accountable for its illegal actions, and whistleblowers are an integral part of that process.

And you seemed not to grasp the "whether or not we played a role in them hating us is beside the point" part. We can hold our government accountable by less expositive means. We don't hold our government accountable by sabotaging it.

Yes, and how do you propose that happen in this case, absent Snowden? Nobody knew it was going on, so how can anybody hold them accountable for it? Not to mention how, if you watch the interview, he mentions that he tried to go through official channels with his concerns, and was repeatedly rebuffed. Without whistleblowers we don't even know that these things are taking place, and are thus unable to hold anybody accountable for them.

That's a cop out Kevin. He could have at least leaked it to the American media, as did the one in the Rosen Case. Just because we didn't see them do it, doesn't mean they didn't do it. The evidence is already there! There is NO NEED for this type of renegade/vigilante behavior. Heck this crap has been going on since 2006, as if we didn't already know, Mr. Kennedy. His heart was in the right place, but his intentions were not. If you are willing to break the law, how can I trust you to uphold it?

Last edited:
And you seemed not to grasp the "whether or not we played a role in them hating us is beside the point" part. We can hold our government accountable by less expositive means. We don't hold our government accountable by sabotaging it.

Yes, and how do you propose that happen in this case, absent Snowden? Nobody knew it was going on, so how can anybody hold them accountable for it? Not to mention how, if you watch the interview, he mentions that he tried to go through official channels with his concerns, and was repeatedly rebuffed. Without whistleblowers we don't even know that these things are taking place, and are thus unable to hold anybody accountable for them.

That's a cop out Kevin. He could have at least leaked it to the American media, as did the one in the Rosen Case. Just because we didn't see them do it, doesn't mean they didn't do it. The evidence is already there! There is NO NEED for this type of renegade/vigilante behavior. Heck this crap has been going on since 2006, as if we didn't already know, Mr. Kennedy. His heart was in the right place, but his intentions were not. If you are willing to break the law, how can I trust you to uphold it?

Glenn Greenwald is an American, and that's who he leaked it to. Talk about a cop out. Who cares if he leaked it to the Guardian or the NY Times?

So you knew about PRISM and Verizon turning over everybody's data the U.S. government before Snowden leaked this story? Why didn't you say anything? Of course you didn't. Nobody knew the scope of the spying.

This argument is so disingenuous, that he "broke the law." It's only illegal because the government made it illegal to protect itself from being held accountable for what it knew was its own illegal behavior. Laws like that should be broken.

No, because I don't believe anybody could possibly make the argument that the Fourth Amendment has meant anything to the federal government in a very long time.

That's ok. Your "belief" is obviously defective and without rational basis.

That must be it.

It certainly is.

Contrary to your utterly unsupported and mistaken belief, there is a considerable BODY of evidence that the 4th Amendment still does mean a whole lot to the government AND to individuals. Let me flesh that out for you.

It is an EVERYDAY thing (well, at least every court day thing) for some hearing to be held or papers to be filed arguing for or against suppression of evidence obtained (allegedly) in violation of the 4th Amendment. This is why the government DOES seek warrants as often as they do.

If the government gave no concern to the 4th Amendment, the end-runs around the warrant requirement would be legion, not the exception to the general rule.

When WikiLeaks burst onto the international stage in 2010, the small Nordic nation of Iceland offered it a safe haven. Now American whistleblower Edward Snowden may be seeking that country’s protection, and at least one member of its parliament says she’s ready to help.

On Sunday evening Icelandic member of parliament Birgitta Jonsdottir and Smari McCarthy, executive director of the Icelandic Modern Media Initiative, issued a statement of support for Snowden, the Booz Allen Hamilton staffer who identified himself to the Guardian newspaper as the source of a series of top secret documents outlining the NSA’s massive surveillance of foreigners and Americans.

“Whereas IMMI is based in Iceland, and has worked on protections of privacy, furtherance of government transparency, and the protection of whistleblowers, we feel it is our duty to offer to assist and advise Mr. Snowden to the greatest of our ability,” their statement reads. “We are already working on detailing the legal protocols required to apply for asylum, and will over the course of the week be seeking a meeting with the newly appointed interior minister of Iceland, Mrs. Hanna Birna Kristjánsdóttir, to discuss whether an asylum request can be processed in a swift manner, should such an application be made.”

Icelandic Legislator: I'm Ready To Help NSA Whistleblower Edward Snowden Seek Asylum - Forbes

Interesting, though it looks like there is some doubt that this could happen considering the new Icelandic government.

Glenn Greenwald is an American, and that's who he leaked it to. Talk about a cop out. Who cares if he leaked it to the Guardian or the NY Times?

So you knew about PRISM and Verizon turning over everybody's data the U.S. government before Snowden leaked this story? Why didn't you say anything? Of course you didn't. Nobody knew the scope of the spying.

This argument is so disingenuous, that he "broke the law." It's only illegal because the government made it illegal to protect itself from being held accountable for what it knew was its own illegal behavior. Laws like that should be broken.

No, it is illegal because he signed a non disclosure agreement with the government (You). He broke faith with you (The Government). he has released classified information to the public which includes our enemies.

On the other hand, the government has taken the Pat Act and stretched it way beyond what was meant. Our beloved congress needs to meet and put in some overtime reeling this back and placing definitions where needed. And if not that repealing it completely which would be detrimental to the security of the USA. I have little doubt that the way this has been used is unconstitutional.

Yet the man is still guilty and should be brought back to face trial.

No, it is illegal because he signed a non disclosure agreement with the government (You). He broke faith with you (The Government). he has released classified information to the public which includes our enemies.

On the other hand, the government has taken the Pat Act and stretched it way beyond what was meant. Our beloved congress needs to meet and put in some overtime reeling this back and placing definitions where needed. And if not that repealing it completely which would be detrimental to the security of the USA. I have little doubt that the way this has been used is unconstitutional.

I am not the government. That idea is abhorrent.

If you are not the government then we are all living a lie.......We the people and all that....

I agree with your opinion of his action. However I haven't seen anything that remotely sounds like he leaked National Security information. He merely "leaked" information that was already common knowledge: the authorities look for patterns in phone activity, the horror. The authorities monitor emails of foreigners in an effort to catch terrorists, oh my!

The Obama Administration selectively leaked classified documents to make themselves look good.. If they go after this true PATRIOT who blew the whistle on this and the last CORRUPT TYRANNICAL Administrations, they need to arrest BARACK HUSSEIN OBAMA for treason as well. Be consistent.

Forum List

Back