Emerson of ELP Dies

One of the loudest concerts I ever attended. My ears rang for a week. I think there was some blood!
That surprised me when I saw them. In fact, I've only seen one band that was louder than them ................Led Zeppelin.
I in my case I think it had a lot to do with the small venue, a college gymnasium. I sat near the back and could physically feel the music hit me, bounce off the back wall and hit me again.

One of the loudest concerts I ever attended. My ears rang for a week. I think there was some blood!
That surprised me when I saw them. In fact, I've only seen one band that was louder than them ................Led Zeppelin.
I in my case I think it had a lot to do with the small venue, a college gymnasium. I sat near the back and could physically feel the music hit me, bounce off the back wall and hit me again.
loudest i heard back then was West,Bruce & Laing......Motorhead was probably the loudest i ever heard.....the bass was like you described,you could feel it pounding on your chest.....and they were at the rose bowl with Metallica....

loudest i heard back then was West,Bruce & Laing......Motorhead was probably the loudest i ever heard.....the bass was like you described,you could feel it pounding on your chest.....and they were at the rose bowl with Metallica....
You never saw Blue Cheer?
no never did.....had the chance to.......they were at the convention center with the seeds and 1 or 2 other bands....went to a party instead....the dude i hung with in the early 70's played in a local band and used to get turned on to tickets for just about every concert in the area....i lost track of how many concerts we went to....

I mentioned in another thread honoring a recent rock star passing, that the 60's and 70's rockers will be dropping like flies now.
Sad, really sad.

What a bummer. I almost forgot about this band as they never get the airplay on the 'classic rock' stations.

I think they were one of the first to really be a headphone band. You know, smoke a bunch of weed or drop some acid, put on the headphones and just . . . . .

nothing.....why do you ask?....
You put John Lord ahead of him.
lots of people do that....i would have put wakeman at no.3 in the rock keyboard world.......Lord played better organ rock solos as far as i am concerned....i seen all 3....Emerson as far as i am concerned was the best player technically and creatively...but thats just me billy......i am one of a few people who does not think Jimi Hendrix was the best rock guitar player ever...he definitely was great,but was he the best?.....

no never did.....had the chance to.......they were at the convention center with the seeds and 1 or 2 other bands....went to a party instead....the dude i hung with in the early 70's played in a local band and used to get turned on to tickets for just about every concert in the area....i lost track of how many concerts we went to....
Me to. My first concert was Deep Purple '74 Burn tour, at the Long Beach Arena. After that, I saw:

Led Zeppelin (twice)
The Who (5 times)
Pink Floyd (twice)
J-Geils Band (3 times)
Fleetwood Mac (once)
Eric Clapton (6 times)
Santana (twice)
Yes (twice)
ELP (once)
Bob Dylan (once)
Black Sabbath (twice)
Jethro Tull (4 times)
Moody Blues (twice)
Allman Brothers (twice)
Jeff Beck (once)
Blues Brothers (once)
Chicago (once-with Terry Kath)
Bruce Springsteen (5 times)
Nirvana (once)
Chili Peppers (once)
Eagles (once)
ELO (once)
Marshal Tucker Band (once)
Alice Cooper (once-with Lou Reeds band)
Rolling Stones (once)
Alvin Lee (1-1/2 times)
The blind guy who played the guitar like a piano
Oingo Boingo
Sheena Easton
Olivia Newton John
Englebert Humperdink​

lots of people do that....i would have put wakeman at no.3 in the rock keyboard world.......Lord played better organ rock solos as far as i am concerned....i seen all 3....Emerson as far as i am concerned was the best player technically and creatively...but thats just me billy......i am one of a few people who does not think Jimi Hendrix was the best rock guitar player ever...he definitely was great,but was he the best?.....
Me and Eric Clapton respectfully disagree with you.

You have to admit, Hendrix did things no other rock guitarist has ever done. Not then, not since.

In regards to Lord, this was my favorite tune by him...

What a bummer. I almost forgot about this band as they never get the airplay on the 'classic rock' stations.

I think they were one of the first to really be a headphone band. You know, smoke a bunch of weed or drop some acid, put on the headphones and just . . . . .
No, that was Pink Floyd. You could only listen to Floyd when you were high, because they played so slow. ELP, on the other hand, just kicked fuckin' ass!

I mentioned in another thread honoring a recent rock star passing, that the 60's and 70's rockers will be dropping like flies now.
Sad, really sad.
Everybody except Keith Richards. Which is strange, because there are no more illegal drugs in the world........ Keith did them all. And he's still alive.

At least we got rid of the Bee Gees.

When you start talking greatest ever (not most popular) it gets a little subjective when you are in the top ten or fifteen of most lists. I agree with you on Hendrix. An aficionado but his solos were not all that melodic, they were more racy. Buck Dharma of Blue Oyster Cult I much prefer. I, personally, think Deep Purple is just as great in some ways as Led Zeppelin. But here is where I meant it becomes a matter of taste when you are comparing elites. Too many great bands.
BTW, your response to Aaronland in post #15 was the best! :lmao:

When you start talking greatest ever (not most popular) it gets a little subjective when you are in the top ten or fifteen of most lists. I agree with you on Hendrix. An aficionado but his solos were not all that melodic, they were more racy. Buck Dharma of Blue Oyster Cult I much prefer. I, personally, think Deep Purple is just as great in some ways as Led Zeppelin. But here is where I meant it becomes a matter of taste when you are comparing elites. Too many great bands.
BTW, your response to Aaronland in post #15 was the best! :lmao:
Mark Farner hater.

Me to. My first concert was Deep Purple '74 Burn tour, at the Long Beach Arena. After that, I saw:

Led Zeppelin (twice)
The Who (5 times)
Pink Floyd (twice)
J-Geils Band (3 times)
Fleetwood Mac (once)
Eric Clapton (6 times)
Santana (twice)
Yes (twice)
ELP (once)
Bob Dylan (once)
Black Sabbath (twice)
Jethro Tull (4 times)
Moody Blues (twice)
Allman Brothers (twice)
Jeff Beck (once)
Blues Brothers (once)
Chicago (once-with Terry Kath)
Bruce Springsteen (5 times)
Nirvana (once)
Chili Peppers (once)
Eagles (once)
ELO (once)
Marshal Tucker Band (once)
Alice Cooper (once-with Lou Reeds band)
Rolling Stones (once)
Alvin Lee (1-1/2 times)
The blind guy who played the guitar like a piano
Oingo Boingo
Sheena Easton
Olivia Newton John
Englebert Humperdink​
my first one was Cream with Spirit opening in late 69 at the Anahiem CC.....one of the best live acts i ever saw was Thin Lizzy when they opened for Queen at the Forum in 76....those fuckers rocked the house down and got called back for an encore,was a fan after that....

Forum List

Back