Enter the Age of Censorship, FCC circumvents Congress to classify internet as Public Utility

So the internet wasn't under this ruling until the other day and now it is being treated just like the following:

"Until the 1980s in the United States, the term "telephone company" was synonymous with American Telephone & Telegraph. AT&T controlled nearly all aspects of the telephone business. Its regional subsidiaries, known as "Baby Bells," were regulated monopolies, holding exclusive rights to operate in specific areas. The Federal Communications Commission regulated rates on long-distance calls between states, while state regulators had to approve rates for local and in-state long-distance calls.

Government regulation was justified on the theory that telephone companies, like electric utilities, were natural monopolies. Competition, which was assumed to require stringing multiple wires across the countryside, was seen as wasteful and inefficient. That thinking changed beginning around the 1970s, as sweeping technological developments promised rapid advances in telecommunications. Independent companies asserted that they could, indeed, compete with AT&T. But they said the telephone monopoly effectively shut them out by refusing to allow them to interconnect with its massive network."

Deregulating Telecommunications

(more at link)

If this rule is so good, why did the FCC deregulate AT&T?

ATT wasn't dregulated. It was broken up. And that occurred partially because the technology had advanced that made it possible to allow other industries to compete over the same medium, and partially because of anti-trust lawsuits that ultimately ended in the Supreme Court. But what does that have to do with the net neutrality regulations?

It was deregulated.

The internet has now been placed under the original set of terms that AT&T was way back when.

If it was so great, why didn't they just leave AT&T under those terms?

What do you think will happen with the internet now that it's placed under those 1934 rules?

That's because it's illegal. Your local government granted a monopoly to one of them.

I wonder....do you tell such blatant bullshit lies because you're that audacious, or because you're that stupid?

I simply note the facts, dumbass. I lived in Denver when the city council granted a monopoly to one of the cable providers. The cable companies were falling all over each other attempting to bribe the council members. One cable company actually publicly offered to give each council member a certain number of shares of company stock. They had a press conference to announce they were offering to bribe the city council!

That's how your local cable company became a government protected monopoly.

Uh, no, that's how your cable company became a government protected monopoly.

Except, wait a second.....This just in, it's not a local monopoly. A quick google search produces different companies who both offer cable TV services in Denver.

Moving to Denver Colorado Allconnect

Cable Denver - Cable TV Internet Phone Providers Denver CO

On top of that DirectTV and Dish Network both offer satellite service in Denver.

That may be the case now, but it wasn't the case in 1980 when they first offered cable in the city.

:wtf:

So you're making arguments about shit that happening 35 years ago? I knew that you were retarded, but I didn't realize you were that slow.

So far you have posted no information to the contrary.

Here's the proof, moron:

Don t Blame Big Cable. It s Local Governments That Choke Broadband Competition WIRED

Despite public, political, and business interest in greater broadband deployment, not every American has high-speed internet access yet (let alone a choice of provider for really fast, high-capacity service). So who’s really to blame for strangling broadband competition?

While popular arguments focus on supposed “monopolists” such as big cable companies, it’s government that’s really to blame. Companies can make life harder for their competitors, but strangling the competition takes government.

Broadband policy discussions usually revolve around the U.S. government’s Federal Communications Commission (FCC), yet it’s really our local governments and public utilities that impose the most significant barriers to entry.

Game of Kickbacks
Deploying broadband infrastructure isn’t as simple as merely laying wires underground: that’s the easy part. The hard part — and the reason it often doesn’t happen — is the pre-deployment barriers, which local governments and public utilities make unnecessarily expensive and difficult.

Before building out new networks, Internet Service Providers (ISPs) must negotiate with local governments for access to publicly owned “rights of way” so they can place their wires above and below both public and private property. ISPs also need “pole attachment” contracts with public utilities so they can rent space on utility poles for above-ground wires, or in ducts and conduits for wires laid underground.

The problem? Local governments and their public utilities charge ISPs far more than these things actually cost. For example, rights of way and pole attachments fees can double the cost of network construction.

So the real bottleneck isn’t incumbent providers of broadband, but incumbent providers of rights-of-way. These incumbents — the real monopolists — also have the final say on whether an ISP can build a network. They determine what hoops an ISP must jump through to get approval.

This reduces the number of potential competitors who can profitably deploy service — such as AT&T’s U-Verse, Google Fiber, and Verizon FiOS. The lack of competition makes it easier for local governments and utilities to charge more for rights of way and pole attachments.

It’s a vicious circle. And it’s essentially a system of forced kickbacks. Other kickbacks arguably include municipal requirements for ISPs such as building out service where it isn’t demanded, donating equipment, and delivering free broadband to government buildings.

They already do. ISP's want more money for what taxpayers already are paying for.

And what is it that you think "taxpayers" are paying for?

If you understand how the Internet works, you'll know that ISP's receive their Internet 'feed' from publicly funded organizations. PLUS, all ISP's have been heavily subsidized by public funds. Charging people more for service that costs ISP's NOTHING is profiteering.

BWAHAHAHAHAHA

Is that right...

So, Level 3, TelePacific, Verizon, et al just let ISP's attach to their backbone for free....

Oh my.

ALL originator hubs except for Sunnyvale, ca (Google) are publicly funded.

Google is heavily subsidized. Google s Billions In Internet Subsidies... -SVW

TelePacific and Verizon receive hub-flow for free.

[
Seeing as you've outed yourself as not knowing what you're taking about in the first place, despite your bullshit attempts to make yourself out to be some kind of expert, nothing you say has any relevance anymore. Especially if you have to go run to wikipedia to fill you in.

I outed myself did I?

ROFL

You are a shrill and stupid little troll. Satellite Internet is joke, and a bad one.

SwimExpert is confused about who has outed himself. Ya got to love these libturds who make ignorance and hypocrisy into virtues.

You mean they charge according to what their customers use?

Shocking!

They already do. ISP's want more money for what taxpayers already are paying for.

If you understand how the Internet works, you'll know that ISP's receive their Internet 'feed' from publicly funded organizations. PLUS, all ISP's have been heavily subsidized by public funds. Charging people more for service that costs ISP's NOTHING is profiteering.

The claim of "subsidies" is, like the claim that fossil fuels are subsidized, grossly exaggerated. Just what are these so-called "subsidies?"

I rather suspect it has everything to do with elitism.

People making their own purchasing decisions is elitism? :cuckoo:

Now you are putting words in my mouth. You seem to think, based on what you've said here, that if people aren't happy with their internet service, that that is just tough shit, and they can just opt out instead of complaining about it. So yes, that is an elitist position if ever there was one.

So....are you saying they can't stop buying? That makes not sense.

Are you in the third grade, or is English a second (or third) language for you? I'm saying that too few entities have too much control over a medium that, for all intents and purposes, was built with taxpayer money. I'm saying that over the course of the time since the internet first came to be, there was an expectation by, well, pretty much everybody, that there would be MORE competition, MORE choices of providers, not LESS. Without the net neutrality regulations, that trend of more control by fewer and fewer providers would likely not only continue, it would accelerate.

The internet was not built with taxpayer money. Government toadies like you always claim that if government contributed 0.0001 % of the cost of something, then government built it. It's total bullshit. Darpa spent a few million developing a prototype network based on packet routing. That's about the limit of government involvement.

Streaming video.

The traffic on the backbone his increased about 10,000% since 2010 - that is not a typo nor an exaggeration. Yet Soros sends you drones to demand that the corporations causing this not be held accountable.

Oh please. Your right wing paranoia was cute the first time it raised its ugly head. Now it is just sad.

You are a shill for the giant corporation Netflix, working to shield them from responsibility for their acts. You don't question anything, you do as ThinkProgress tells you. But the result of your mindless acts is shilling for Hulu, Amazon Prime, Netflix, et al. You'll demand that the taxpayer pick up the tab for expanding the backbone of the Internet to carry this load.

You may claim otherwise now, but you'll be programmed to demand corporate welfare for Netflix soon enough.

{Soros bought 98,764 shares of Netflix Inc.}

George Soros Top 5 Stock Buys of Q3 - GuruFocus.com

Well lookie there, now we know why you demand corporate welfare for Netflix...
It's simply impossible for you to leave your cartoon partisan politics out of a discussion, isn't it?
Is it because you're incapable of holding your own in an intellectual debate?
That's my vote.
Do you actually believe you and your fellow drones are not engaging in partisan politics?

The internet was not built with taxpayer money. Government toadies like you always claim that if government contributed 0.0001 % of the cost of something, then government built it. It's total bullshit. Darpa spent a few million developing a prototype network based on packet routing. That's about the limit of government involvement.

The entire Internet sub-frame is completely government built or subsidized.

DARPA is government.

Streaming video.

The traffic on the backbone his increased about 10,000% since 2010 - that is not a typo nor an exaggeration. Yet Soros sends you drones to demand that the corporations causing this not be held accountable.

Oh please. Your right wing paranoia was cute the first time it raised its ugly head. Now it is just sad.

You are a shill for the giant corporation Netflix, working to shield them from responsibility for their acts. You don't question anything, you do as ThinkProgress tells you. But the result of your mindless acts is shilling for Hulu, Amazon Prime, Netflix, et al. You'll demand that the taxpayer pick up the tab for expanding the backbone of the Internet to carry this load.

You may claim otherwise now, but you'll be programmed to demand corporate welfare for Netflix soon enough.

It's simply impossible for you to leave your cartoon partisan politics out of a discussion, isn't it?
That's my vote.
Do you actually believe you and your fellow drones are not engaging in partisan politics?
I haven't seen anywhere that the main argument supporting net neutrality is to teach conservatives a lesson.

Streaming video.

That's my vote.
I haven't seen anywhere that the main argument supporting net neutrality is to teach conservatives a lesson.

How would that claim, if it was true, prove you aren't engaging in partisan politics?

Streaming video.

That's my vote.

How would that claim, if were true, prove you aren't engaging in partisan politics?
Isn't that a definition of partisan politics?
Maybe some evidence from you might be useful.

And what is it that you think "taxpayers" are paying for?

BWAHAHAHAHAHA

Is that right...

So, Level 3, TelePacific, Verizon, et al just let ISP's attach to their backbone for free....

Oh my.

ALL originator hubs except for Sunnyvale, ca (Google) are publicly funded.

Google is heavily subsidized. Google s Billions In Internet Subsidies... -SVW

TelePacific and Verizon receive hub-flow for free.

I did a search on the term "originator hub" and it produced nothing relevant to the internet.

The entire Internet sub-frame is completely government built or subsidized.

DARPA is government.

I did an Google search on the term "internet subframe" and it produced nothing relevant to this discussion. You're obviously just making these terms up.

The above has been possible because of the adoption across the country of fiber optics technology which has not only brought the internet to more customers,

Who deployed and paid for that fiber?

Was it;

1. Verizon, Telepacific, TW Telecom, Level 3 communications, AT&T
  2. Netflix, Hulu, Amazon
  3. The FCC
  4. A troll on an internet messageboard spewing bullshit from the Soros hate sites
Hmmmm?

it has also brought broadband to millions. So it should not come as a surprise in the least to anyone that we have seen such an increase. It was expected, bubba. The increase is, in fact, what paid for the expansion. So let's see the data that shows this strain on the backbone. As in how many hours of downtime has occurred across the web since 2010 purely as a result of streaming video.

How many critical operations were affected by collisions and rebroadcasts.

Obviously, you are having some sort of breakdown. Take a pill, pal before you go into full out meltdown.

Obviously - you wouldn't be a shrill and ignorant troll if I weren't in a meltdown, skippy...

Forum List

Back