Ethics: Mars-One or similar exploitative ventures

Delta4Embassy

Gold Member
Dec 12, 2013
Earth
Mars-One is a proposed mission to Mars to deposit people who'll spend the rest of their lives there effectively colonizing the planet. While there, to help pay costs they plan a reality show. But the trip is one-way. So the ethical question arises, is that ethical? What if someone changes their mind? Are the organizers legally liable and required to get them back? What about legal and law enforcement there if someone changes their mind and freaks out or becomes violent? Humans on another planet is unprecedented legal territory. And equally unprecedented ethical territory.

Other questions: is it more ethical or less ethical without the reality show? Will knowing they're on camera effect performance negatively when they're all interdependent upon each other for their very lives?

If they fail to sign up, they just might lose the oxygen component of their artificial atmosphere.

I'm sure some of the terms of applying to be on Mars-One is releasing the company of any liability should you wish to return home. As long as that is fully comprehended by the travelers, I see no problem with it. There are risks, and they accepted them.

Of course, the chance of Mars-One actually succeeding is small at best. The logistics of setting up a colony on Mars are astronomical, and I highly doubt that Mars-One is capable of meeting the requirements.

Forum List

Back