🌟 Exclusive 2024 Prime Day Deals! 🌟

Unlock unbeatable offers today. Shop here: https://amzn.to/4cEkqYs 🎁

Every Youngster Age 18-19 Should Be Required To Serve 3 Years In The Military

Mischaracterization, Correll. You make a premise then a conclusion but fail to link them together with logic and analysis, two tools the which you flatly don't comprehend. Make the connection.

Disir, the LTC is talking about our volunteer army that gives a president the opportunity to act like a Casear and dispatch troops just as Bush did.

95% of all Americans killed during a wars, died when there was a draft. A Draft does not make the United States less likely to engage in war. If it were true, there is no way that the United States would have entered the Korean and Vietnam wars.
The population of America was much greater, the wars were overseas, and the technology much more powerful.

None of that has anything to do with a draft.

We are very fortunate the Iraqis did not have the capacity or ability or professionalism of the Nazis or the Japanese.

None of that addresses his point that having "skin in the game" did not lead to anti-war policies.
It did in Vietnam finally when poppa and momma realized that the draft for which it was constructed was being misued.

One, you want an imperial presidency with a volunteer army because you are a neo-con.

Two, a draft would end that nonsense as long as the electorate stays aware.

Dan Daly, you are smoking stupid shit, again.

You are nothing for the government to be afraid of, and you know it.

Mischaracterization, Correll. You make a premise then a conclusion but fail to link them together with logic and analysis, two tools the which you flatly don't comprehend. Make the connection.

Disir, the LTC is talking about our volunteer army that gives a president the opportunity to act like a Casear and dispatch troops just as Bush did.

95% of all Americans killed during a wars, died when there was a draft. A Draft does not make the United States less likely to engage in war. If it were true, there is no way that the United States would have entered the Korean and Vietnam wars.
The population of America was much greater, the wars were overseas, and the technology much more powerful.

None of that has anything to do with a draft.

We are very fortunate the Iraqis did not have the capacity or ability or professionalism of the Nazis or the Japanese.

None of that addresses his point that having "skin in the game" did not lead to anti-war policies.
It did in Vietnam finally when poppa and momma realized that the draft for which it was constructed was being misued.

One, you want an imperial presidency with a volunteer army because you are a neo-con.

Two, a draft would end that nonsense as long as the electorate stays aware.

Took quite a while for that effect to take place, and it didn't happen other times...

Obvious suggestion is that some other factor led to the anti-war movement, such as losing or incompetence.

The military service and training forms a basic structure for young citizens much better than E Mail and Texting. Video games are a no brainer.

Israel requires this of all their young men and women and they seem to turn out pretty well.

Also.....the bunch of chicken hawks in the congress would think twice if they were sending their own to some godforsaken desert or mountain range to get wounded or die.

Israel requires this because they are surrounded by enemies & its a matter of national survival. For the most part, we have peaceful borders. Also, the concept of a professional military with volunteers has worked out very well for us. Conscripts generally are problem children for units. It is an unsavory problem to have. Additionally, the military is currently downsizing so unless that is addressed, this idea isn't happening. I do agree the kids in this country need to be somehow invested in its future.

The military service and training forms a basic structure for young citizens much better than E Mail and Texting. Video games are a no brainer.

Israel requires this of all their young men and women and they seem to turn out pretty well.

Also.....the bunch of chicken hawks in the congress would think twice if they were sending their own to some godforsaken desert or mountain range to get wounded or die.

Israel requires this because they are surrounded by enemies & its a matter of national survival. For the most part, we have peaceful borders. Also, the concept of a professional military with volunteers has worked out very well for us. Conscripts generally are problem children for units. It is an unsavory problem to have. Additionally, the military is currently downsizing so unless that is addressed, this idea isn't happening. I do agree the kids in this country need to be somehow invested in its future.
The problem is that the volunteer Army is beholden to the President and not the families of America as a whole. It is a neo-con's wet dream: ask Correll and Jroc.

This idea is dumber than hell. I want our leaders making objective decisions on security. I do not want them compromising our security due to personal reasons. The op is a leftist clown probably incapable of governing a 2nd grade class.
In the OPs defense, I did a part time gig years ago as a substitute teacher for elementary schools.
I learned that I would much rather be in charge of a group of pissed off adults than a classroom full of sugar energized 2nd graders.

Everyone complains about the high cost of a college or vocational training. Military service is an excellent vehicle for obtaining money for college or trade school as well as for a college education. One can enter military service, draw a paycheck, have room and board, learn a skill while serving and earn educational benefits to use when he gets out. It's really not a bad deal. I got my engineering degree via the G.I. Bill.

That is correct. I lost a few tenants because they had a one-time home loan they took advantage of when banks would not give them a loan.

A friend of mine had a brother that served 20 years. He got out at the age of 39 and had the rest of his life to do as he pleased. Got a great paycheck and worked part-time when he felt he was getting a little board. The military does have a lot to offer.

Indeed. I posted in another thread that my own family doctor got his medical schooling from his service time in Iraq. He's out now and in private practice but his wife is presently in service and in Galveston.
Going into the military is a very smart move for new lawyers and doctors....helps those first years when school debt is so heavy.

Communists love involuntary servitude.

Bullshit!

With chicken hawks like George Bush still around...how can you even think that? Bush was a draft dodger but still decided to remove Saddam Hussein, a man who had never harmed the U S , from power. The Bush family just didn't like him. He had attempted to assassinate George Herbert Walker Bush in 1993 and that was enough to boil over the Republican "REVENGE" equation. Not to worry....just cost 4500 young Americans their lives and got about 35,000 seriously wounded.

Yo shit fer brains, Bush was in the military - fighter pilot.

Embarrassed by your lie? Nah, you'll double down - fucking commie.

The problem is that the volunteer Army is beholden to the President and not the families of America as a whole. It is a neo-con's wet dream: ask Correll and Jroc.

That's because the President is Commander-in-Chief & at the top of the chain of command. It's right there in the Constitution which I encourage you to make yourself aware of. However, the power to declare war resides in Congress. The concept of civilian control of the military goes back to the founding of the republic & is in place for good reason. I have no idea what you mean by families of America. That has nothing to do with the discussion. If you don't like the Commander-in-chief, we have elections to address that. The all-volunteer force has served us well.

Errr, I would expect both versions of the US military have obeyed the President and been loyal to America as a whole, and would do so in the future.

Everyone complains about the high cost of a college or vocational training. Military service is an excellent vehicle for obtaining money for college or trade school as well as for a college education. One can enter military service, draw a paycheck, have room and board, learn a skill while serving and earn educational benefits to use when he gets out. It's really not a bad deal. I got my engineering degree via the G.I. Bill.

That is correct. I lost a few tenants because they had a one-time home loan they took advantage of when banks would not give them a loan.

A friend of mine had a brother that served 20 years. He got out at the age of 39 and had the rest of his life to do as he pleased. Got a great paycheck and worked part-time when he felt he was getting a little board. The military does have a lot to offer.

Indeed. I posted in another thread that my own family doctor got his medical schooling from his service time in Iraq. He's out now and in private practice but his wife is presently in service and in Galveston.
Going into the military is a very smart move for new lawyers and doctors....helps those first years when school debt is so heavy.
Got two graduate degrees, started a very successful still on-going family business now directed by the younger members, who all want to college and so forth.

I don't want far right or far left ideologues in charge of our military without connection to America's families.

That's because the President is Commander-in-Chief & at the top of the chain of command. It's right there in the Constitution which I encourage you to make yourself aware of. However, the power to declare war resides in Congress. The concept of civilian control of the military goes back to the founding of the republic & is in place for good reason. I have no idea what you mean by families of America. That has nothing to do with the discussion. If you don't like the Commander-in-chief, we have elections to address that. The all-volunteer force has served us well.
It's clear you don't understand that our leaders are subjec to our voters, and make the voters fully aware of the risks to their drafted children will make the leaders much more concious in making good decisions.

You don't read well, do you. I bet your teachers have always noted that in your records.

Errr, I would expect both versions of the US military have obeyed the President and been loyal to America as a whole, and would do so in the future.
That is not the point. The point is that the electorate will be watching the leaders more avidly.

That is not the point. The point is that the electorate will be watching the leaders more avidly.
That can be done when the bill for whatever war or conflict we are involved in comes in the mail, each month. And no, we don't take VISA, MasterCard, or AMEX.

Our Founders were opposed to a standing army for a reason, and especially opposed to compulsory service for a very good reason.

Counter proposal compromise: every politician at any level must be a veteran. If you're going to vote to support a war, havnig some idea of what war is actually like might be a good idea.

I suggested that if American families are all subject to a draft of their children that those families will be far more involved in American politics. Presidents can't wage war easily without volunteer armies.

No one can refute that. The Corrells say they are conservative but support imperial presidencies.

That's what I wrote earlier. The only reason you want a draft is to aid in your personal political agenda. That's not a good reason to have it.

Forum List

Back