everybody should be packing iron

Actually, it may have cost even more lives. Have you ever had to shoot at a moving target that was only 8 inches square (about what the area would have been for the Aurora shooter who was wearing body armor and a gas mask), while it was moving around and shooting back at you?

I'm guessing not, because even when I was a member of the Security Force in Newport RI, we had a larger target to shoot at (around 18 inches square), and it wasn't shooting back at us and moving around.

It's even harder to do if you have to shoot in the dark.

I'm amazed at those of you who claim that they could have taken this person out, when many of you have never even had firearms training, much less had to take out a target under the conditions that would have been required in the movie theater.

Me? I had to shoot off several hundred rounds per month, and many of those were in combat and tactical drills, and even the best of us (including the Gunny who trained us) couldn't make those kind of shots.

I'm guessing you never served in the military, because if you had, you'd understand how stupid your post was.

Exactly.

One should carry a concealed firearm for his personal protection only.

Those of us who conceal carry are not LE; personal self defense is the sole reason why we carry.

No one has forced you to carry, and as for me It's my choice to conceal carry or open carry, NOT YOURS , and if you carry but only carry sometimes you might as well not carry at all

I agree. If you're going to carry, carry all the time! Except in places where it's unlawful of course, then you leave it locked in your vehicle.

According to our board fruitloops, everbody should be packing iron. Then the won't be any more violence. Sure, fellas, sure thing.

AOL.com Article - Man fatally shot at movie theater after texting his daughter

Cummings said the man in the back row - later identified as Reeves - got up and left the auditorium, presumably to get a manager. But he came back after a few minutes, without a manager and appearing upset. Moments later, the argument between the two men resumed, and the man in the front row stood up.

Officials said Oulson asked Reeves if he reported him to management for using his phone.

Cummings said the men started raising their voices and popcorn was thrown. Authorities said Reeves took out a gun, and Oulson's wife put her hand over her husband, and that's when Reeves fired his weapon, striking Nichole Oulson in the hand and her husband in the chest.

"I can't believe people would bring a pistol, a gun, to a movie," Cummings said. "I can't believe they would argue and fight and shoot one another over popcorn. Over a cellphone."

Is some annecdotal evidence societies well-armed are also more polite. An American visiting Israel remarked that after bumping into someone how he apologised, and the other man did but profusely. He remarked later, "When everyone's armed, everyone's much more polite."

Politeness and manners are sorely lacking in the US and we're starting to see what happens. As with bullying in public schools, at some point your rudeness is gonna get ya shot.
Or just an extension of the police state. Remember the shooter was a retired police officer.

A police officer friend of mine and I talked about concealed weapons years back while I was contemplating getting one and he told me that most officers view concealed carry holders as their potential back-up.

Exactly.

One should carry a concealed firearm for his personal protection only.

Those of us who conceal carry are not LE; personal self defense is the sole reason why we carry.

No one has forced you to carry, and as for me It's my choice to conceal carry or open carry, NOT YOURS , and if you carry but only carry sometimes you might as well not carry at all

I agree. If you're going to carry, carry all the time! Except in places where it's unlawful of course, then you leave it locked in your vehicle.

People just don't get it. You either carry all the time or don't carry at all. You'll make mistakes if you half ass carry. But yes carry where it's legal or don't go there which is what I do.

People just don't get it. You either carry all the time or don't carry at all. You'll make mistakes if you half ass carry. But yes carry where it's legal or don't go there which is what I do.

That reminds me of Suzanna Gratia-Hupp who back in 1991 lost both her parents in a massacre at a Luby's here in Texas. She was given a handgun by a friend for protection and she had always carried it in her purse, but in the days leading up to the massacre she decided she didn't want to rick getting caught with it without a license and risk losing her chiropractic license so she took it out of her purse. She said by doing that, she made the stupidest decision of her life.

1510632_617909748257906_2056955669_n.jpg

Yeah, I can imagine you toting your Springfield musket with you everywhere just in case a spontaneous game of make-believe springs up.

:lol:

Personal paranoia more-like. If you feel so threatened, as a civilian you wanna carry a weapon you need to learn how to avoid risky scenarios first instead of leaping to "I wanna carry a firearm." Take any martial arts course first to learn about situational awareness. They wont teach you that at a a pistol range. But it's the most cirtically important component of self-defense. 'Avoidance' is always preferable to having to deal with a self-defense situation.

A firearm wont make you safer if you're so oblivious you walk into gang-controlled territory for instance. Staying clear of such enviroments however will keep you safe. Extreme example, but it's what situational awareness is all about.

You don't know what the fuck you are talking about South Park mall in Charlotte is not within some gang area. It's one of the richer sections of charlotte to live in. So shut the fuck up.
Woman Robbed Outside SouthPark Mall In Charlotte | www.wsoctv.com

Second robbery near SouthPark Mall reported - WBTV 3 News, Weather, Sports, and Traffic for Charlotte, NC

Woman robbed at gunpoint in SouthPark Mall parking lot | WCNC.com Charlotte

Police investigating armed robbery in SouthPark | WCNC.com Charlotte

Good post!

Personal paranoia more-like. If you feel so threatened, as a civilian you wanna carry a weapon you need to learn how to avoid risky scenarios first instead of leaping to "I wanna carry a firearm." Take any martial arts course first to learn about situational awareness. They wont teach you that at a a pistol range. But it's the most cirtically important component of self-defense. 'Avoidance' is always preferable to having to deal with a self-defense situation.

A firearm wont make you safer if you're so oblivious you walk into gang-controlled territory for instance. Staying clear of such enviroments however will keep you safe. Extreme example, but it's what situational awareness is all about.

You don't know what the fuck you are talking about South Park mall in Charlotte is not within some gang area. It's one of the richer sections of charlotte to live in. So shut the fuck up.
Woman Robbed Outside SouthPark Mall In Charlotte | www.wsoctv.com

Second robbery near SouthPark Mall reported - WBTV 3 News, Weather, Sports, and Traffic for Charlotte, NC

Woman robbed at gunpoint in SouthPark Mall parking lot | WCNC.com Charlotte

Police investigating armed robbery in SouthPark | WCNC.com Charlotte

Good post!

Thanks I love putting idiots in their place.

This chart is horseshit.

TOTAL homicides in the US is about 16,000, of which 11,000 involve guns.

They also leave out the 19,500 gun suicides...

But the gun nutters all try to pretend they aren't a problem.

Joe I see you're in for your daily beat down...

Let me know if you need to throw in the towel :lol:

-Geaux

Let me know if your argument is going to consist of anything but saying,

"But I don't want it to be true. The Founding Slave Rapists say I can have a gun....waaaaaa".

Because otherwise, it's going to be pretty tiresome.

But for facts, we can start here.

when-americans-kill-one-another-they-usually-use-a-gun-in-fact-americans-use-guns-to-murder-each-other-twice-as-often-as-they-use-any-other-murder-weapons.jpg

This chart is horseshit.

TOTAL homicides in the US is about 16,000, of which 11,000 involve guns.

They also leave out the 19,500 gun suicides...

But the gun nutters all try to pretend they aren't a problem.

Joe I see you're in for your daily beat down...

Let me know if you need to throw in the towel :lol:

-Geaux

"But I don't want it to be true. The Founding Slave Rapists say I can have a gun....waaaaaa".

when-americans-kill-one-another-they-usually-use-a-gun-in-fact-americans-use-guns-to-murder-each-other-twice-as-often-as-they-use-any-other-murder-weapons.jpg

Stats notwithstanding, acceptable risk

-Geaux

Gun Control Misperceptions

Gun Control Saves Lives
New York City and Washington, D.C. are two of the most restrictive cities in the country with respect to gun control, yet they are also two of the least safest cities in the country.

Criminals buy guns outside of the restrictive areas and bring them in illegally.

Arlington, VA has a significantly lower crime rate than D.C., but it's right next door (see the FBI "Crime in the United States" reports).

Handguns are 43 times more likely to kill a member of your own family than an intruder.

The study by Arthur Kellermann from which that statistic is pulled doesn't say that. The number includes suicides. The study doesn't take into account defensive uses in which a shot was not fired (99% of the uses), and it doesn't reflect intruders avoiding homes with firearms inside.

Your gun is more likely to kill you or someone you love than an intruder.

Less than one percent of defensive gun uses results in a kill (see Gary Kleck's book "Point Blank: Guns and Violence in America). According to the National Institute of Justice's report "Guns in America: National Survey on Private Ownership and Use of Firearms", guns are used over 1.5 million times a year in self defense. With tens of thousands of gun deaths a year, that means that firearms are used 40 times more often for protection than for murder.

We would all be safer if there were fewer guns.

Guns in the wrong hands are dangerous, but in the right hands they are used for protection and deterrence. According to the FBI Uniform Crime Reports, Georgia's homicide rate dropped 21% after making it easier to get guns, whereas Wisconsin's rate went up 33% during the same time period after making it more difficult to get guns. There are a lot of factors that go into homicide rates, but gun ownership is definitely not one of them.

We don't need guns in a civilized society.

How many people living in or around urban areas leave their cars unlocked or their front doors open all the time? There are civilized and uncivilized people in the world, and there are places and events that lead to some very uncivilized behaviour (like hurricanes). Having a gun means that people in the area can defend themselves and others against those uncivilized people.

Guns should be banned because thousands die every year.

Most of those people are criminals killed by criminals, according to the FBI "Crime in the United States" report. Also, many of those deaths are suicides. If someone is going to kill themselves, and they can't get a gun, they'll try something else. Again, guns are used far more often in self-defence.

We need to do something about the increasing access to guns.

Over the last half-dozen decades, the government has steadily restricted our right to keep and bear arms, and access has been decreasing. However, none of the 20,000 laws on the books are making it any harder for criminals to get guns, because by definition a criminal won't abide by the law.

The police can protect us.

In several cases, the courts found that police do not an obligation to respond to emergency calls. Even when they do, though, it's often too late. According to a story in US News and World Report, G. Witkin found that 95% of 911 calls are dispatched too late to stop a crime. When someone breaks into your home, you don't have time to call police. When a gunman charges into a diner and shoots up the place, you don't have time to call police.

It is too dangerous for the average citizen to deal with criminals.

Citizens fighting crime happens all the time. However, even better is to have crime not happen, and gun ownership is an excellent deterrent. After a series of rapes in Florida in 1966, women began buying guns and the police department ran training sessions in handgun use. After 36 rapes in 1966, there were 4 in 1967 (see Paxton Quigley's book "Armed and Female").

The safest way to deal with criminal assault is not to resist.

The US DOJ found that of 32,000 attempted rapes in 1979, 32% were successful, but in the case of an armed victim, only 3% were successful. Should a victim just sit back and let an attack happen, or should they defend themselves? What about defending your children when someone comes after them? Criminals avoid armed victims. In 1982, Kennesaw, GA passed a law requiring the head of household to keep a gun, and burglaries dropped by 89% (see Gary Kleck's "Crime Control Through the Private Use of Armed Force).

Allowing people to carry weapons means every disagreement will turn into a shootout.

People currently have many weapons, including lawn implements, kitchen utensils, sporting goods and household appliances, all of which have been used in murders. In states that have liberal carry laws, crime rates are generally lower. Florida's carry law in 1987 was followed by a homicide rate drop of 39% according to the FBI Uniform Crime Reports.

The average citizen with a gun is a bigger threat to himself and others than a criminal is.

Proper training is very important. The NRA has spent millions of dollars on training adults and children. In fact, the NRA is the only organization spending money to try to educate kids about gun safety, but they're being stopped at every attempt by knee-jerk politicians and soccer moms who want to hide their children from the realities of the world. Accidental death rates from firearms have been declining steadily for 50 years, and armed citizens shoot and kill twice as many criminals as police do.

Firearms drain resources because of medical costs.

Most of the medical cost is because of criminal violence, not lawful possession of firearms. Did you know that medical malpractice causes more deaths per year than firearms, according to a Harvard Medical Practice Study?

Countries where gun ownership is severely restricted have a crime rate that is much lower than ours.

England and Japan have lower murder rates than the US, and they have restrictive gun laws. However, Switzerland and Israel have high rates of gun distribution and have even lower rates. South Africa's murder rate is even higher than the US, and they have very restrictive gun laws.

The police favor gun control, and they know more about crime than we do.

The 12th Annual National Police Survey produced in 1999 by the National Association of Chiefs of Police showed that police reject gun control as an effective crime control and that they support private firearms ownership.

Only police and trained and responsible enough to carry guns.

According to the Washington Post 8/28/94, pA1, 19 out of 1000 officers in Washington, D.C. were arrested. According to the Commissioner of Florida's Department of Law Enforcement, only 9 out of 1000 carry permit holders in Florida had licenses revoked.

There's nothing wrong with a waiting period for a background check.

So if someone is threatened, they should ask the criminal to wait a few days so that a background check can be completed? Criminals don't wait for background checks -- they buy on the black market.

Guns should be registered.

Would that help make life difficult for criminals? No. New York and Washington, D.C. required registration years ago and promised not to ban guns. Then, politicians decided to ban some guns and used those registration lists to round them up (see 9/5/92 Daily News article "Weapons Ban Defied"). A man named James Wright was a gun control advocate who received a grant from President Carter's Justice Department to study effectiveness of gun control laws. He found that waiting periods, background checks and other gun control laws were not effective in preventing or reducing violent crime ("Second Thought About Gun Control" in The Public Interest, Spring, 1988).

Trigger locks and smart guns will reduce the danger from guns.

To be used for self defence, a gun must be loaded and ready to use. You cannot legistlate safety, but you can educate. You can teach children what to do when they see a gun. The NRA is spending millions to try to teach children the proper thing to do when they find a gun (stop, don't touch, go find an adult). Criminals won't use smart guns, and they won't wait for you to prepare your gun for use. Any delay can mean the difference between life and death.

Last edited:
[q

-Geaux

It's acceptable to you.

It's not acceptable to sane people who are tired of watching kids be dragged out of schools in body bags because you have a fetish.

[q

-Geaux

It's acceptable to you.

It's not acceptable to sane people who are tired of watching kids be dragged out of schools in body bags because you have a fetish.

Actually Joe, you are on the wrong side of the issue here. Its the minority of gun grabbing loons with an opinion that is moot

-Geaux

-Geaux

It's acceptable to you.

Actually Joe, you are on the wrong side of the issue here. Its the minority of gun grabbing loons with an opinion that is moot

-Geaux

then why does the NRA shit its pants every time there is a school shooting?

It's acceptable to you.

-Geaux

then why does the NRA shit its pants every time there is a school shooting?

Really?

I was not aware of that.. :confused:

-Geaux

Forum List

Back